Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
I think my favorite recent-ish Bigfoot movie is Primal Rage. Good creature design and practical gore effects. Yeah
Roger Corman will be joining The Last Drive-in tomorrow.

"Clues for the finale of #TheLastDriveIn: First up is ultra-low-budget Roger Corman-directed brilliance from the 60s, followed by controversial Roger Corman-produced monsters from the 80s."

My guess is one of Corman's Poe films and Humanoids from the Deep.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
I remember seeing Exists around the same time as Backcountry, so they sort of run together. Backcountry has a bear, though. Bears, as it turns out, don't help failing marriages.
(06-17-2021, 12:03 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: There aren't enough solid Bigfoot movies.

Watch Night of the Demon if you've not already seen it. It's cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Gloriously..

Night of the Demon has the glorious scene where a gentleman has his dick ripped off. That'll teach him!
(06-17-2021, 06:51 PM)fraid uh noman Wrote: Watch Night of the Demon if you've not already seen it. It's cuckoo for cocoa puffs. Gloriously..

Oh, I've seen it.

When the Bigfoot started whipping a guy with the guy's own intestines... in slow motion... I realized I was watching exceptional schlock.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
They've come a long way since "Boggy Creek," that's for sure.
(06-17-2021, 06:57 PM)bradito Wrote: Night of the Demon has the glorious scene where a gentleman has his dick ripped off. That'll teach him!

This is the scene where the movie ascended to godhood..

(06-17-2021, 06:48 PM)bradito Wrote: I remember seeing Exists around the same time as Backcountry, so they sort of run together. Backcountry has a bear, though. Bears, as it turns out, don't help failing marriages.

Depends how badly you want a divorce really.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Isn't there a found footage Bigfoot movie that actually features some kind of demon creature?
Willow Creek is an excellent Bigfoot movie! It is similar to the Blair Witch project; it just replaces the ghost of a witch with Bigfoot. It's a great example of thinking something bad is about to happen is so much scarier than actually seeing happen.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I like WILLOW CREEK.
Watched Caveat tonight, damn that was good. Exquisitely bad vibes right from the start, racked with dread, and featuring a few skin-crawling shout at the screen creepy moments. Very impressive debut feature.
Sounds cool.
New Dan B reco, nice.
"Censor" is on VOD now if you don't wanna put on pants this weekend.
Always found Dan B's recs pretty great. Thanks man!

I will probably check it out tomorrow. Checking into Joe Bob here in a bit.
Dan B haunts this, the greatest thread, and only this thread!
SUPERDEEP on Shudder is on the cusp of greatness. The setup is terrific - they use the real world setting of the Kola superdeep borehole in Russia, and stick a research base at the bottom. A discovery is made, and stuff goes real bad. The buildup and anticipation to the action is ALIENS-like, although the action, when it arrives, is not; lots of characters just sorta go off randomly and die off screen. But the creatures rock. Tons of ooey gooey practical makeup effects, really gross stuff. It falls just short of being really special, but I'd definitely recommend it.
Checked out MONSTROUS tonight.  Despite evident budgetary limitations, I found it a modestly effective little genre piece.  It can’t quite fully pull-off everything it wants to do, but it achieves enough of it to warrant a look.

The cinematography is reasonably solid, with some good location shooting that is brought down only by some dodgy nighttime photography that, in a counterintuitive way, ends up sort of underlining some of the more unconvincing effects. 

On the acting front, the two central performances work very well, and they’re in service of characters that feel somewhat unexpected occupying the heart of what is (ostensibly) a Bigfoot story.  Now, a case could probably be made that there’s a certain imbalance here, that the film is so preoccupied with being a certain other type of thing that it forgets to completely deliver the creature feature goods (though it does still have its moments in this regard). 

The upside of that, though, is that the movie does not feel tired or cookie-cutter; there has not been a cinematic Bigfoot tale quite like this, and that’s worth appreciating a bit.
I've never seen Bride of the Re-Animator. What are y'all's opinions on it? Is it worth dropping a substantial amount of cash to get the Arrow blu ray?

If you REALLY dig Re-Animator and want to see the continuation of that story, I say go for it.

I like it, but I still think the first one's better.
I've seen "Bride" maybe a half-dozen times and can barely describe anything that happens in it.

But it makes repeat viewings interesting.

Better movie: "Frankenhooker."
I was so convinced they were going to show Frankenhooker on The Last Drive-in based on clues they gave one week. I was so excited.

Then Fried Barry happened.
Well, you can't have it all.
Near Dark will be released on 4k sometime in 2021.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video...udiocanal/
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(06-19-2021, 12:14 AM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: SUPERDEEP on Shudder is on the cusp of greatness.  The setup is terrific - they use the real world setting of the Kola superdeep borehole in Russia, and stick a research base at the bottom.  A discovery is made, and stuff goes real bad.  The buildup and anticipation to the action is ALIENS-like, although the action, when it arrives, is not; lots of characters just sorta go off randomly and die off screen.  But the creatures rock.  Tons of ooey gooey practical makeup effects, really gross stuff.  It falls just short of being really special, but I'd definitely recommend it.

Yeah, for whatever reason, this never quite hits that next gear. The makeup effects (and the icky sounds which accompany them) are super gnarly, though.
Watched two documentaries tonight with ties to horror, Corman's World and That Guy Dick Miller. Lots of great BTS stories about two of the most interesting men in B-movie history.

Both reminded me that I really need to check out Bucket of Blood.
(06-18-2021, 03:12 AM)dan benenson Wrote: Watched Caveat tonight, damn that was good. Exquisitely bad vibes right from the start, racked with dread, and featuring a few skin-crawling shout at the screen creepy moments. Very impressive debut feature.

I was a bit confused at times, but the dread is so oppressively thick for its entire runtime that I was still enthralled.
So, no caveats for Caveat then?

*get booed off stage under a hail of fruit and vegetables - some of which might have been rotten*
(06-19-2021, 10:49 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Watched two documentaries tonight with ties to horror, Corman's World and That Guy Dick Miller. Lots of great BTS stories about two of the most interesting men in B-movie history.

BUCKET OF BLOOD is pretty nifty. Watched it again for our last October Challenge, I think.

Where did you catch these two docs?
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(06-20-2021, 01:47 AM)slim Wrote:
(06-19-2021, 10:49 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Watched two documentaries tonight with ties to horror, Corman's World and That Guy Dick Miller. Lots of great BTS stories about two of the most interesting men in B-movie history.

BUCKET OF BLOOD is pretty nifty. Watched it again for our last October Challenge, I think.

Where did you catch these two docs?

I rented them both off Prime. I don't usually rent two in one night but I'm officially on vacation from work for the next three weeks so I thought it was worth celebrating.
Still making my way through MASTERS OF HORROR, and I gotta admit I'm having a lot of fun with it. Surprised its not talked about more. Is it great? Definitely not, but 'Incident On And Off A Mountain Road' was another standout; Don Coscarelli is able to break through the network mandate that states everything must look like an episode of RED SHOE DIARIES with a few brief moments of visual flair. Story is pretty fun too, and its neat seeing Angus Scrimm chewing scenery in a non-TallMan performance.
Incident was definitely one of the better episodes. I also really liked Fair Haired Child and the one about Poe.
SLAXX is good! I watched expecting it to suck the way 99% of high-concept horrors do, but it's actually a smart, well-made (if a little cheap) horror with a neat bit of social commentary. Don't go out of your way to watch it or anything but if you've got Shudder, definitely give it a shot.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!