Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Horror RECOMMENDATION or WARNING thread.
Let's see, the Masters of Horror eps I watched were...

Incident on and off a Mountain Road
Deer Woman
Homecoming
Cigarette Burns
Imprint
Pro-Life

I should run the whole series. I'm probably missing out on some good stuff.
The one with George Wendt is pretty good. Essentially a Tales From the Crypt episode.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The series needed a host, maybe like Satan or something, and all the Masters of Horror are Hell's denizens and he forces them to make Showtime episodes for his amusement.
The host should be late-period John Carpenter from that interview where he's all grumpy about Mick Garris letting the next-gen guys like Eli Roth and Darren Aronofsky take over their group dinners. Just real cranky, smoking cigarettes, looking over from his xbox for a second to tell the audience that this next segment is real arty or something.
Body Bags was originally intended as a series with him as the host.

(06-20-2021, 02:41 PM)bradito Wrote: Let's see, the Masters of Horror eps I watched were...

Incident on and off a Mountain Road
Deer Woman
Homecoming
Cigarette Burns
Imprint
Pro-Life

I should run the whole series. I'm probably missing out on some good stuff.

Right to Die had a pretty good "ripped from the headlines" horror concept.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
This next segment is by a man I like to call "Hollywood Hair..."
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
"Body Bags" was pretty kewl. "Cameos: The Movie!"
The first Argento episode of MOH - "Jenifer" - was also kinda rad. Definitely the horniest one yet.
Isn't Quarantine a remake of the REC movies? Which one(s) do you guys prefer?

Rec 2 is great. But watch part one first. It's pretty much Quarantine, so it's pretty good.
It’s very strange how well Quarantine works, considering it’s as close as found footage could get to a shot for shot remake. But it works about as well, so if you’d prefer it in English, I don’t think you’d miss anything really by watching the remake.

But the REC sequels are all solid and worth a watch in my book.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Is part three good? I heard mixed things and my mom only lets me watch movies that are good.
What I like about REC v Quarantine, is like Arjen said, they are nearly shot for shot the exact same flick, but coming to completely different explanations for the events mostly through set design. It’s the things in the room on the top floor that tell you what’s happening. Quarantine has the more polished look, but pulls the ending into a far more pat and obvious direction.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
FREAKY: finally got around to this the other day. First few scenes introducing teenagers had me feeling a million years old. I assumed movie was going to be the annoying parts of the SCREAM movies X 1000 or being extremely online woke like the last BLACK CHRISTMAS. I was close to bailing on it. Once it became like a Slasher FREAKY FRIDAY, it totally won me over. I can't imagine anyone else making it work besides Vince V.. The physicality plus comic timing. He's the straw that stirs the drink.

For some reason THE FINAL GIRLS comes to mind, in that its slight, but so charming you forgive what doesn't work. At least I did.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Somehow I'd never seen "Madman" before last weekend. Either I always confused it with "Maniac," or I need to stop smoking bath salts. At any rate, I dug it! I'm always game for a slasher movie in a summer camp and happy to have this on my Blu-ray shelf next to "The Burning" and "Sleepaway Camp."
Between MADMAN and MY BLOODY VALENTINE, there was a brief trend there where slashers were ending with off-kilter theme songs for their killers.

If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I revisited MBV just last week! The uncut gore is top shelf!!
The recent restoration looks very good.
I love My Bloody Valentine. Cut or uncut. Such a perfect slasher..

It's one of the best.
Not that whack remake...I need to be clear on that..

Both are good. The remake is great too.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I've cooled on the remake a bit, mostly because it just looks -- visually -- pretty bad in that "late 2000s digital video" way.
Caught CAVEAT tonight.

A properly eerie and very confident effort form director Damian McCarthy that feels like a modern descendant of the classic British chiller.  It’s pretty uncomfortable right from the jump, and only gets more uncomfortable as it moves along, eventually culminating in a really unnerving final third.  Two very good, nuanced central performances from Jonathan French and Leila Sykes elevate the “guy in an unusual situation” and “crazy girl” tropes, as well.  It’s solid, effective genre work.    

The only significant criticism I have is that we’re never really given a completely compelling reason why the main character allows himself to be put into this situation; most people, when confronted with the bizarre request(s) he is, would politely decline.
100% feels like a modern reimagining of a classic British chiller. The story is also total Tales From The Crypt/EC Comics, just told in a different way
I did appreciate how the remake of My Bloody Valentine used 3D. It wasn't about art, it was about making a trashy horror flick even trashier. I only saw the movie once, but I did have a blast!
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
The original MBV has a protagonist who moved to the West Coast, "really fell on [his] ass," and came back home with his tail between his legs.

My hero!
I really love Maniac Cop 1 and 2 but holy hell...Maniac Cop 3 is absolute garbage..

Making it a mission to eventually see every horror (and horror-adjacent) movie put out by Hammer Films that I haven't already yet, and I’ve continued that quest with...

RASPUTIN: THE MAD MONK (1966)

Evocatively-shot in CinemaScope, this has the veneer of an attempted-prestige historical drama. As a history lesson, it’s pretty shoddy, but as an entertainment, it absolutely satisfies. This version of Rasputin uses the rumors and salacious tall tales about the actual historical figure as a springboard to spin a yarn where the character is a full-blown dark mystic, a supernatural antagonist wreaking havoc in a demented pursuit of power and influence.

Christopher Lee simply does not get enough credit for his versatility, which is something that is on full display in this film. True, his Rasputin is a powerful, commanding figure, which many Lee characters tend to be, but there’s an unhinged, boisterous magnetism that he gets to show off here which marks this as unlike any of his other performances that might be classified in the same general vein. In fact, this is one of his very best turns.
New Candyman looks alright! Possibly a bit familiar, but then, it’s a Candyman reboot, how else is it going to look?

It’s the biggest problem with eternal remakes for me. Even if it’s dramatically better than the original (uh, good luck), it’s just not going to be able to match it in my estimation, because of how much that original has meant to me personally. It’s just not going to beat getting to see the first one in theaters, well underage, at a friends Birthday party.

Maybe the kids will get that here.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(06-23-2021, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Making it a mission to eventually see every horror (and horror-adjacent) movie put out by Hammer Films that I haven't already yet, and I’ve continued that quest with...

RASPUTIN: THE MAD MONK (1966)

Evocatively-shot in CinemaScope, this has the veneer of an attempted-prestige historical drama.  As a history lesson, it’s pretty shoddy, but as an entertainment, it absolutely satisfies.  This version of Rasputin uses the rumors and salacious tall tales about the actual historical figure as a springboard to spin a yarn where the character is a full-blown dark mystic, a supernatural antagonist wreaking havoc in a demented pursuit of power and influence.  

Christopher Lee simply does not get enough credit for his versatility, which is something that is on full display in this film.  True, his Rasputin is a powerful, commanding figure, which many Lee characters tend to be, but there’s an unhinged, boisterous magnetism that he gets to show off here which marks this as unlike any of his other performances that might be classified in the same general vein.  In fact, this is one of his very best turns.

All that and no mention of Barbara Shelley. Tsk.

I somewhat recently got RASPUTIN on blu to replace the VHS (!) copy I have. It's underseen and underrated-- Lee should have had this much to do in the Dracula pictures.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(06-24-2021, 01:18 AM)slim Wrote: All that and no mention of Barbara Shelley. Tsk.

I somewhat recently got RASPUTIN on blu to replace the VHS (!) copy I have. It's underseen and underrated-- Lee should have had this much to do in the Dracula pictures.

I prefer the vampiric Barbara in DRACULA: PRINCE OF DARKNESS!

And yes, it's odd that the Hammer edict for Lee's Dracula was that he should essentially be devoid of any personality, just an ominous and imposing blank slate. He should have been allowed to cut loose a little more.
(06-23-2021, 10:49 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: New Candyman looks alright! Possibly a bit familiar, but then, it’s a Candyman reboot, how else is it going to look?

It’s the biggest problem with eternal remakes for me. Even if it’s dramatically better than the original (uh, good luck), it’s just not going to be able to match it in my estimation, because of how much that original has meant to me personally. It’s just not going to beat getting to see the first one in theaters, well underage, at a friends Birthday party.

Maybe the kids will get that here.

Pretty excited about this one. Couldn't really tell from the trailer, but isn't Tony Todd supposed to be back?

Also, I watched CAVEAT last night. You guys were right; super effective slow burn horror. Unbelievably tense, and 3 great performances at the core holding it all together. Really dug it.
Tony Todd is back in the new Candyman, yes. 

I was under the impression it was more sequel than remake..

Friendly reminder that the movie "Censor" is on VOD and also begins with the letter "C," so you guys'll dig it.