Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON (Patty Jenkins) (2023)
Take the LAST JEDI talk elsewhere, could we?
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(06-28-2021, 12:49 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Take the LAST JEDI talk elsewhere, could we?

In a Star Wars thread on TC? YOUSA CWAZY BELLOCKY!

[Image: HoFX.gif]
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Freemen, are you sending out messages from some reality where movies still have the lifespan they did pre-2010? Disney will just march forward with more Star Wars movies and shows, and that whole batch of Star Wars stuff from Force Awakens to Rise of Skywalker will be forgotten in a few years. You can see this happen with the Marvel stuff, none of which seems to have much of a lifespan because it's all just about the next thing. Good or bad, doesn't seem to matter, after a few years they just seem to fall by the wayside all the same.
According to what cultural metric?

The PrincessKate POV says the MCU has been forgotten?
The MCU's design - lots of 'small' films leading to gigantic finales - means that, while there are too many individual Iron Man and Thor films for them to particularly stand out in cultural consciousness, the Avengers films will stick in people's brains. TFA and TLJ were massive films that were chapters in a giant franchise people had generally thought was finished - folk are going to remember and argue about them for decades.

R1's a film that, in real life, I've heard normies who don't really care about SW rave about. I think it'll be a minor classic. Solo and TROS both arrived once the number of films meant the novelty had worn off, and the former's only ever something fans would care about (I'd say it's the equivalent of Ant-Man, but I'm pretty sure Ant-Man humped it at the box office), and TROS is so mediocre and silly in parts that much of it slides off your brain as you're watching it.
Ant-Man is underrated. The visuals just knock my socks off. But that's just my likely terrible opinion. I say likely terrible because I think Solo is underrated as well. Was Solo a smart movie to make from a financial standpoint? Obviously not. But it's something that is the closest a Star Wars movie could ever come to a cult classic in a couple decades as opposed to an outright classic and Paul Bettany is a great villain.

If Rogue Squadron actually ends up being made they would do well to really go for the Rogue One aesthetic. That's gonna end up being the most revered Disney SW movie out of the bunch. A whole movie that looks and feels like the space battle over Scarif? Yes please..

Yeah, much of Rogue One's strength derives from how it captured the vibe of the Mos Eisley, Yavin, and Hoth stuff from the OT. Obviously that stuff's been plenty celebrated, but I feel analysis of what made SW so successful tends to focus on the Jedi stuff rather than the fact that large parts of the OT feel like fantastically pulled off films about a heightened WWII.
(06-25-2021, 11:00 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: I don't know either of those people.

So I have no way to judge this hire!

both were credited on LOVE & MONSTERS

Duffield also wrote THE BABYSITTER, which I felt had a lot in common with LOVE & MONSTERS

so I'm more inclined to credit him for what was good about LOVE & MONSTERS

because woof... I was NOT into INVENTION OF LYING
I watched R1 back in November to celebrate Biden winning. The movie still works for me. There are a couple of fan service scenes I could do without and CGI Tarkin was a bad idea. The Battle of Scraif makes for a thrilling third act. Chirrut single taking out all those storm-troopers was pretty damn cool too. Seeing the Rebel Alliance before it had it's shit together was interesting.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
I actually think the cultural footprint of all the MCU movies is pretty huge, all things considered. No way complete mediocrities like Incredible Hulk or Thor 2 get remembered at all, if it weren't part of this long form thing that keeps chugging along. As it is, there's a thousand buzzfeed-ish articles about Abomination appearing in the Shang Chi trailer, and a character like Malekith the Accursed is still within the collective consciousness, even if only as a particularly shitty villain. And the big ones remain big, the most notable blockbusters of the last decade. Outshining the new SW films, by almost every metric. Except for fan vitriol.

I do think we're probably getting faster and faster at chewing things up and moving on to the next thing, which the tsunami of content has contributed to. There's less reason to rewatch things now, simply because there's always a new thing, much easier to access than ever before. Back in the day, of course I'd watch Aliens on VHS for the 20th time, because it was that or Seinfeld reruns. Now, you could never get through all your Netflix suggestions, even if you lost your job for the better part of a year and had to stay inside the whole time.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(06-28-2021, 12:49 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: Take the LAST JEDI talk elsewhere, could we?

Such pain! I must find a way to... deepen it.
Git' in under mah belly!
I just saw that this is releasing Christmas 2023. Whoa. For some reason I thought we were seeing it, like, summer or fall of next year.

Still the only announced Star Wars film, right?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I believe so
Taika Waititi's is also officially announced, though there's no timeframe for it.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I wonder if they're going to release a new one every other year, whenever there's not an Avatar sequel.
OH GOD THOSE ARE STILL COMING AREN'T THEY

OH GOD

*vomits*
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Hopefully in Avatar 2, Jake gets to meet Luke Skywalker. And he turns him into an Avatar, too!

Luke Skypeoplewalker!!
MAY THE FORCE SEE YOU
Patty Jenkins needs to get me on a Zoom to discuss this.
RJ's trilogy baby.

That's the real winner.
"No, you see, the Blip merged the Star Wars universe with the magical world of Pandora, so it'll work..."
I mean Pandora feels like a prequel planet anyways. Go nuts.