Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel's LOKI on Disney+
Weird episode. On the plus side I liked Loki's falling for Sylvie and his interactions with Wilson were great as usual, but unfortunately it also barreled forward with a way too much exposition and that final fight scene, which was very clumsily put together. Marvelous stinger! Crocodile Loki killed me.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
An old Loki wearing the classic comics outfit, haha.
Git' in under mah belly!
Well, that's more like it.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(06-30-2021, 04:20 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: An old Loki wearing the classic comics outfit, haha.

Excuse me, sir, but Richard E. Grant is not simply "old".  He's seasoned.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Well, that was enjoyably weird. That better not be the last we've gotten of the Hiddleston/Wilson dynamic at any length.

But I have to say, I don’t love kinder, gentler, softer, in-touch-with-his-feelings-and-smitten Loki. That just sucks a lot of the fun out of the character. I thought his arc up through INFINITY WAR pushed that just about as far as it should have been pushed.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Alligator Loki rules.

This is the most successful Marvel show yet, I’d say, and mostly just because it feels like nothing so much as a fun arc on a less mainstream comic line. It’s scaled appropriately for a streaming miniseries narrative, and if it’s really just six episodes, stands almost no chance of wearing out its welcome. Using the strengths and limitations of the format to its advantage, which Wandavision did too, but this has a lot fewer bum notes.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
How are we all feeling about Loki being in love with himself(ish)?

The amount of (seemingly) un-ironic swooning I’m seeing going on out there for the Loki/Sylvie pairing strikes me as a slightly strange thing to "ship."  I mean, I was kind of impressed by the development, because it’s weird and gross and way beyond anything I would have thought Disney would try to pull off.

But... if we are to take the show at face value, at very best, it’s incest, no?  At worst, it’s something I don’t have a word for.

Unless, of course, all these variants are, in fact, unique and genetically-distinct individuals.  They absolutely have to be, right?  But then aren’t they fully their own persons?  And if they are, then why are they then considered variants of some other distinct person?  What makes all these people the same person?
[Image: fDLfM20.gif]
(06-30-2021, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Unless, of course, all these variants are, in fact, unique and genetically-distinct individuals.  They absolutely have to be, right?  But then aren’t they fully their own persons?  And if they are, then why are they then considered variants of some other distinct person?  What makes all these people the same person?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Loki’s just the Rickest Rick that ever Ricked.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(06-30-2021, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Unless, of course, all these variants are, in fact, unique and genetically-distinct individuals.  They absolutely have to be, right?  But then aren’t they fully their own persons?  And if they are, then why are they then considered variants of some other distinct person?  What makes all these people the same person?

I just assume they're variants of the same person (the many worlds theory). Except there is no actual "prime" or "real" person; the Time Keepers being Wizard of Oz'd kind of suggests that. There is no "best" or "real" timeline, there are just timelines: there are many worlds, many timelines, many realities. And of course everything thinks theirs is the "real" one.

Loki falling for Sylvie is entirely believable: he's in love with himself! Why wouldn't he fall for her?!

That it's weird and potentially gross just makes it funnier.

~~~~

So this week was an improvement on last week, even though it felt like not enough happened, given that there are only two episodes left.

And holy shit that fight scene was terrible. TERRIBLE. No idea why Marvel TV shows don't seem to be able to stage and film fight scenes with anything beyond minimal competence but between LOKI and a lot of FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER, you'd never know the MCU had featured good to very good action scenes.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Pearls before ... well ...

"Glorious purpose"... "glorious timeline" ... an evil Loki is masterminding the TVA, isn't he?

I would be all in favor of getting another truly villainous Loki involved... because our primary Loki isn't anything close to a villain anymore!

I reserve full judgment until I've seen all the episodes, but I stand by my belief that treating this version of Loki, emotionally, as if he's (more or less) an extension of the same one whose (good!) arc ended in INFINITY WAR was a questionable decision.
(06-14-2021, 04:26 AM)Overlord Wrote: --The power of the Timekeepers seems unfathomable.  I'm sure we'll find out there is a Wizard of Oz syndrome going on here ...

[Image: tenor.gif]

(07-01-2021, 12:47 AM)Belloq87 Wrote: I would be all in favor of getting another truly villainous Loki involved... because our primary Loki isn't anything close to a villain anymore!

I reserve full judgment until I've seen all the episodes, but I stand by my belief that treating this version of Loki, emotionally, as if he's (more or less) an extension of the same one whose (good!) arc ended in INFINITY WAR was a questionable decision.

He saw his entire alt future play out in front of him.  That has affected his development from that point forward, especially since, well ... it's the same person.

It was a brilliant writing decision that freed us from watching the same character develop from the same point in time or follow a variation of the same arc twice.

I just think the character's more interesting if he rides the line between outright villain and anti-hero.
The Loki/Slyvie pairing reminded me of when Janeane Garofalo played one of Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld. Jerry briefly loved her because she was the female version of him. He swept himself off his feet. Later he realized he couldn't stand her for the exact same reason he fell in love with her in the first place. Jerry actually hates himself. My point is that the post credits scene for Loki may be Loki and Slyvie saying "I CAN'T STAND YOU!" to each other at the same time.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(07-01-2021, 12:35 AM)Overlord Wrote: Pearls before ... well ...

"Glorious purpose"... "glorious timeline" ... an evil Loki is masterminding the TVA, isn't he?

Are you saying that fight scene was choreographed and shot well?

It stood out to me because the rest of the episode (and show) are so impeccably done in terms of visual and production quality.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I actually think the show has a pretty wonky, cheap aesthetic. It's all green screen and Brazil-lite, and every place they go, including the TVA, looks like it has a total population of 10. That's part of the charm. Fight scenes don't fall into that category though. A badly staged fight scene is just a badly staged fight scene.
It seems quite likely Owen Wilson is still on the show, but if that had actually been his death, I think it would have been pretty terrific. A complete arc, with a surprising early exit that hit all the right notes of pathos and dignity without overdoing it, that also came at the right time for Loki’s arc.

That is a bad fight scene, unfortunately. Loved the android lizards though.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-01-2021, 07:54 AM)Evi Wrote: I actually think the show has a pretty wonky, cheap aesthetic. It's all green screen and Brazil-lite, and every place they go, including the TVA, looks like it has a total population of 10. That's part of the charm. Fight scenes don't fall into that category though. A badly staged fight scene is just a badly staged fight scene.

I remarked upthread that there's a definite ST TOS vibe to the production design, and I mean that in a positive way. I don't think the show looks cheap but there's no disguising the digital sets/comps. Much as I thought Episode 3 was  almost entirely wheel-spinning, I kinda loved that they embraced the artificiality/constraints.

No. I refuse to believe Owen Wilson is gone. And his arc is not complete, because he has not been seen bombing around on a jet-ski, dammit.

(07-01-2021, 09:47 AM)doc happenin Wrote: No. I refuse to believe Owen Wilson is gone. And his arc is not complete, because he has not been seen bombing around on a jet-ski, dammit.

[Image: eu5jsz5kii871.jpg]

(07-01-2021, 07:29 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Are you saying that fight scene was choreographed and shot well?

I would have thought you might have appreciated the thematic importance and significance because it underscores the idea of BALANCE, or maybe that it's an obvious exercise in style and doing something new in the MCU universe (did you not find the influence of martial arts films and other action films obvious and welcome as they provide an unexpected flourish and sense of exaggerated danger to the conflict?).

You didn't LOVE the stylized, confident movements of the timekeeper guards?

I mean, couldn't one deliciously dig how the movie became this interdimensional ninja action sequence in the throne room?  The jerky, precise movements of the timekeeper guards and their glowing weapons giving it a sense of danger the series has been missing with an operatic, fantastic feel?

**heh heh heh**

--Loki is definitely more for sci-fi and comic fans, whereas the other two recent MCU shows were aimed at TV and Movie audiences with ruthless precision.

(06-30-2021, 05:18 PM)the nz natural Wrote:
(06-30-2021, 04:20 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: An old Loki wearing the classic comics outfit, haha.

Who?
Git' in under mah belly!
(07-01-2021, 04:21 PM)cd underbelly Wrote:
(06-30-2021, 05:18 PM)the nz natural Wrote:

Who?

The fucking audacity.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Darwin Mayflower, you cretin!

(07-01-2021, 09:04 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Darwin Mayflower, you cretin!

I can't decide if you are snootily ignoring what I've done a few posts up, or if the quotes haven't rung any bells yet.

Giles Redferne would have also been accepted.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(07-01-2021, 09:29 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I can't decide if you are snootily ignoring what I've done a few posts up, or if the quotes haven't rung any bells yet.

Oh, I get it.

I'm just ignoring it!

[Image: tenor.gif]

(07-01-2021, 09:35 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Giles Redferne would have also been accepted.

Withnail, ffs. 

CD Underbelly? That fucker will rue the day!
(06-30-2021, 10:01 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: How are we all feeling about Loki being in love with himself(ish)?

But... if we are to take the show at face value, at very best, it’s incest, no?  At worst, it’s something I don’t have a word for.

If you have sex with yourself, it's not incest, it's masturbation.

I thought the Loki/Sylvie discussion of romantic love in episode 3 seemed like a detour last week, since romantic interests have never been forefront in Loki's character. The development here makes some of that play a little better, but as set-up was still kind of clunky and left field. Anyway, it does make total sense for the character-- who else would he love more?-- so it's one of the things that turned the show around for me this episode. Suitably weird.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
In theory it's rad but the execution was odd since last week played more as a bit of exposition than two Lokis opening up and catching feelings.
This last episode was great and completely righted the ship for me. Hopefully the final two episodes will maintain this level of forward momentum.

To that end, I think that this particular series would benefit from a binge watch. Episodes 2 and 3 really didn't stand on their own for me, so watching them as part of a continuous flow probably would have benefitted the overall story arc.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
Episode 3, at the very least, benefits from being able to immediately follow up with Episode 4.

(07-02-2021, 10:54 AM)slim Wrote: If you have sex with yourself, it's not incest, it's masturbation.

[Image: 3tTD.gif]

Whatever the case, it's incredibly kinky for Disney.

Which -- again -- I appreciate!  It just seems that a lot of folks out there (not here) have seemingly latched onto this as THE CUTEST THING EVER!!, and that's quite odd to me.
FemLoki is pretty cute, so that helps.

Also, Buffalo Bill is a variant Loki, confirmed.

[Image: giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95233fc8d7aea6d0e851....webp&ct=g]