Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Funniest Movies of the Millennium
I've been wrestling with how to approach a thread like this ever since Indiewire released a fairly wack list article a few months ago. I didn't want us to just roll out a Top 10, but actually discuss the comedy movies that make us laugh and even the ones that don't, and try to get at the state of our collective sense of humor.

Mixed in with my post-Pulp Fiction Crime movie marathon, I've been deep diving back into the comedies of the 00's; revisiting some I hadn't seen in a while, and getting to some I'd avoided or never got around to.

People who've interacted with me a long while know I'm big on STEP BROTHERS, MACGRUBER, FREDDIE GOT FINGERED + OBSERVE  & REPORT, but a few favorites I haven't shouted out enough are NORBIT & NEXT DAY AIR.

NORBIT, even more so than the NUTTY PROFESSOR flicks, feels like Eddie's ultimate tribute to Jerry Lewis. Once again playing multiple roles, it's the sweet goofiness of the main character that's the most endearing and Jerry-like (the maximum Jerry-ness only bested by the Sandler masterpiece JACK & JILL). The fun thing about NORBIT -written by Eddie AND his brother Charlie- is how shrewdly it plays around with its abundant influences. Not just Jerry Lewis, but the Screwball sensibility of Sturges, and even tropes of the classic Western. I may be reaching, but I felt one character is riffing on TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN! Eddie is simply amazing as the large an in charge, bullying Rasputia.

Her treatment of Norbit is so malicious and cruel, there's even a bit of psychological Horror in the mix.

[Image: 9259935fb2445d7b7b255285bef75dc9_w200.gif] [url=https://tenor.com/view/tease-naughty-scream-yell-broke-gif-17576937][/url][Image: tenor.gif]

THE KLUMPS was pretty wild, but the only 21st century Eddie movie that makes me laugh this much - or at least comes close to it - is COMING 2 AMERICA.

If you always avoided this one because of its toxic reputation, give it a fair chance sometime. 

NEXT DAY AIR is another Screwball, mixing up the bloody QT crime genre with stoner comedy and Blaxploitation. It's definitely my kind of thing.

Oh, another somewhat maligned film I love - Sandler's LITTLE NICKY. To me, it's the pinnacle of the classic early Happy Madison run. 

There's a few interesting curios I discovered on this look back, but I'll touch on those later and let other people respond and have a turn.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Norbit?  The Klumps?  Coming 2 America?  Little Nicky?

[Image: tenor.gif]

I'll absolutely back you up on STEPBROTHERS.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
(07-02-2021, 02:00 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll absolutely back you up on STEPBROTHERS.

How about Little Nicky?

I love STEP BROTHERS, but personally I prefer THE OTHER GUYS. It's my favourite Ferrell/McKay joint. Just gets funnier every time I watch it.

Apart from that, O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU and DEATH OF STALIN might be the movies the make me laugh the most.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
“When I was a kid, when I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a dinosaur. I wanted to be a Tyrannosaurus Rex more than anything in the world. I made my arms short and I roamed the backyard, I chased the neighborhood cats, I growled and I roared. Everybody knew me and was afraid of me. And one day my dad said, "Bobby, you are 17. It's time to throw childish things aside," and I said, "Okay, Pop." But he didn't really say that, he said, "Stop being a fucking dinosaur and get a job."”

and

“It’s the FUCKING CATALINA WINE MIXER!”
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I have a 2 year old daughter, who loves when I turn into “Dadosaurus”, and chase her around the house while she giggles and screams “run away!”.

She will then turn herself into a dinosaur, and chase me around while I giggle and scream.

I now have a new appreciation for Richard Jenkins’ character. I don’t want those Dadosaurus moments to end either.
(07-02-2021, 02:40 PM)damndirtyape Wrote:  I don’t want those Dadosaurus moments to end either.

https://embracinghomemaking.net/wp-conte...t-Time.jpg

Sad

(07-02-2021, 02:04 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 02:00 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I'll absolutely back you up on STEPBROTHERS.

How about Little Nicky?

Nope.  To each their own but I think I noped out of that one after a half hour.
I feel like takes as quixotic as defending NORBIT or LITTLE NICKY should be confined to their own thread.

Agree on THE OTHER GUYS as the undersung Mckay/Ferrell joint. The weird little running gag of the bad guys repeatedly polishing and improving Ferrell's fake gun every time they take it is one of my favorite things ever.
Damnit Overlord . . .
I'm not really high on THE OTHER GUYS but the running joke of the homeless people getting it on in Will's car was hysterically funny.
(07-02-2021, 03:21 PM)schwartz Wrote: I feel like takes as quixotic as defending NORBIT or LITTLE NICKY should be confined to their own thread.

I'm championing what I find funny. I'm being honest about it. That IS the premise of the thread. Do you not have any wild cards that make you laugh? I'm not trying to have this be some stuffy Indiwire 'My aren't we high tone' type deal or, even worse, an Entertainment Weekly middle of the road/ usual suspects thread. 

Throw some love out for what you love.

Since my taste is already in question by people that post in the 'Loki' thread: JUST GO WITH IT is the funniest rom-com of the century (KATE & LEOPOLD + DOWN WITH love close considerations/ runner ups).

(07-02-2021, 05:43 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: ... JUST GO WITH IT is the funniest rom-com of the century (KATE & LEOPOLD + DOWN WITH love close considerations/ runner ups).

Kate & Leopold?!??!?!?!!?!?

That terrible Hugh Jackman time travel romcom?

The Fanatic.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
(07-02-2021, 05:43 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Since my taste is already in question by people that post in the 'Loki' thread: JUST GO WITH IT is the funniest rom-com of the century (KATE & LEOPOLD + DOWN WITH love close considerations/ runner ups).

I am sorry to have ruined the beautiful dream that your contrarian NORBIT takes might be met with universal, awestruck praise.
(07-02-2021, 05:43 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Since my taste is already in question by people that post in the 'Loki' thread: JUST GO WITH IT is the funniest rom-com of the century (KATE & LEOPOLD + DOWN WITH love close considerations/ runner ups).

We watched JUST GO WITH IT about a year ago.  That was actually pretty decent, if I remember correctly.  Sandler and Aniston definitely have really good chemistry together, further solidified by MURDER MYSTERY a few years later.
I've been meaning to give THEY CAME TOGETHER a revisit at some point. I recall a couple inspired gags, but I think I was too intoxicated when I saw it to tell whether it hangs together as a whole or just dies in the gaps between those great bits like a lot of spoofs do.
(07-02-2021, 07:07 PM)schwartz Wrote: I am sorry to have ruined the beautiful dream that your contrarian NORBIT takes might be met with universal, awestruck praise.

I wasn't talking about you, but have you even seen it?

(07-02-2021, 07:10 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: We watched JUST GO WITH IT about a year ago.  That was actually pretty decent, if I remember correctly.  Sandler and Aniston definitely have really good chemistry together, further solidified by MURDER MYSTERY a few years later.

My Sandler fanatic friend is coming over in a bit. I may have to quiz him on this to see (not that I doubt your taste, Judas, as you were among the many intro'd me to stuff like Shoot to Kill).
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
*Sigh*Hey, thanks for doubting/ignoring my taste. You used to kiss my ass as much as you do Judas'. I sometimes wonder why I even bother starting these threads.

Armond White in his review of NORBIT rightfully called Eddie Murphy an American treasure, and threw down that Eddie was even better at these multi-character performances than Peter Sellers.

I can't imagine not laughing with this film.

THE FANATIC. Travolta is on fire.

(07-02-2021, 07:54 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 07:10 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: We watched JUST GO WITH IT about a year ago.  That was actually pretty decent, if I remember correctly.  Sandler and Aniston definitely have really good chemistry together, further solidified by MURDER MYSTERY a few years later.

My Sandler fanatic friend is coming over in a bit. I may have to quiz him on this to see (not that I doubt your taste, Judas, as you were among the many intro'd me to stuff like Shoot to Kill).

Please don't take my positive review as a raving endorsement.  Most of his films make me want to punch God so consider my endorsement as a 'low bar successfully exceeded' kinda deal.

(07-02-2021, 08:04 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: *Sigh*Hey, thanks for doubting/ignoring my taste. You used to kiss my ass as much as you do Judas'. I sometimes wonder why I even bother starting these threads.

What?
As a metalhead, I'm surprised you couldn't make it through LITTLE NICKY.

Keitel as the current Satan. Rodney Dangerfield as the original Lucifer. Sandler as the only son with enough heart to stop his brothers from destroying the balance of good & evil. Sandler's disciples being a flaming would be actor and a motley crue of Ozzy fans. Patricia Arquette getting called 'snaggletooth' by John Witherspoon. Hilarious Popeye's Chicken product placement. Jon Lovitz as a totally inept peeping tom. Hitler raped by a pineapple. QT as a prophet of doom. Ozzy cameo.

(07-02-2021, 08:07 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: As a metalhead, I'm surprised you couldn't make it through LITTLE NICKY.

I wasn't finding it funny and I found his line delivery grating.  It really set me on edge.

For Sandler's first films, I enjoyed HAPPY GILMORE and THE WEDDING SINGER.  TWS, in particular, told an actual story with an arc to it and forced Sandler to play a compelling character.  Beyond being a pretty funny film, it's actually a well constructed film and still stands up today.  From there, of the ones that I've seen, they've been pretty dismal.  JUST GO WITH IT was one of those movies that we caught while flipping around and ended up getting sucked into because it actually wasn't bad and it fit the mood for the evening.  Again, Sandler and Aniston work really, really well together.  I'm also on record as really enjoying MURDER MYSTERY as being a funnier than expected romp with a pretty surprisingly fantastic car chase in it.

To each their own.  Comedy is subjective and variable.  I've never seen NORBIT so I can't comment on it.  I only saw KATE AND LEOPOLD once and I remember it being unremarkable (although I liked the recurring bit about the elevators not working).
Also, this scene:

(07-02-2021, 08:15 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Also, this scene:

That scene changed your mind, right, Judas?

Sorry, no.
Ok . . .

Dude, Where’s My Car?
Super Troopers
Death To Smoochy
Shaun Of The Dead
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Idiocracy
Stepbrothers
The World’s Greatest Dad
The Cabin In The Woods
Pitch Perfect
The Croods
What We Do In The Shadows
Spy
Thor: Ragnarok
Blockers
Sorry To Bother You
Come To Daddy

and Psycho Goreman . . . I guess? 2020 kind of sucked for movies.
(07-02-2021, 09:01 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Sorry, no.

Was it the fact that it was excruciatingly not funny?

A lot of movies are funny, but very few movies make you laugh until it physically hurts -
  • South Park Bigger Longer Uncut
  • Borat
(07-02-2021, 09:20 PM)Rylander Wrote: A lot of movies are funny, but very few movies make you laugh until it physically hurts -
  • Borat

Are Freddy Got Fingered and Norbit on that list for you?

I did my best to ignore those, along with most Sandler movies.
I thoroughly enjoyed TEAM AMERICA. Unless that one has been red-flagged in which case I never saw it.
(07-02-2021, 09:20 PM)Rylander Wrote: A lot of movies are funny, but very few movies make you laugh until it physically hurts -
  • Borat

SOUTH PARK: BLU had some of the hardest laughter I've ever seen in a movie theater.  The 'Uncle Fukka' song, in particular, was an experience that I don't think I'll ever top in terms of communal laughter.  I've never seen a sequence in a film generate that kind of reaction before with literally EVERYONE doubled over in spasms of laughter.  'Kyle's Mom' and 'I'm Super' came pretty close, though.