Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel's WHAT IF on Disney+
Trailer has dropped! Looks interesting, and I'm digging the non-herky jerky animation!

"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Always my favorite comics. Instead of completely breaking the world by screwing up established continuity, we just get a delightful one-issue answer to the question "What if...?"

Also... Marvel Zombies are fun.
See, now I just want a whole show of the kind of weird-ass Silver Age fakeout nonsense they love over on Superdickery.
I remember these comics, invariably picked up any issues that had the Punisher on the cover. In most of those stories I think Castle ended up murdering most of the other characters lol. I hope they adapt some of those (and get someone other than fucking Berthal to play him)
There's a dope one where Conan the Barbarian finds himself in modern-day New York City*, and uses all his skills as a thief, warrior, gladiator, etc. to rise up in the criminal underworld. Then he fights Wolverine.

*NEW YORK CITY...?!?
I had an issue with Conan in modern times. He mugs a Wall Street dude and tosses everything from the wallet but the coins (because that's what money is to him), basically becomes a pimp, and fights and beats Captain America, getting an offer to join the Avengers out of the deal (which we see him mulling over in the final panel).

I also recall Conan going up against Thor at one point and ending up getting Mjolnir, with the final panel showing him climbing up a mountain to meet Crom. Don't remember if it's to give him the hammer or kick his ass with it though.
Just this guy, you know?
(07-08-2021, 01:06 PM)bradito Wrote: Always my favorite comics. Instead of completely breaking the world by screwing up established continuity, we just get a delightful one-issue answer to the question "What if...?"

Also... Marvel Zombies are fun.

The one I remember has Spider-Man in a zombiefied world.

I recall liking it.

I was always a big fan of Marvel's "WHAT IF...?" comics as a kid. Alternate histories and narrative experiments are quite often where creativity itself comes from. "What if you could catch ghosts?" "What if a high school kid went back in time to 1955?" Everything we watch started off as a "What if...? Very psyched about this.
You just know a few goofballs out there are going to think that isn't Chadwick Boseman's voice for Black Panther (it is) and are going to comment negatively on it for no real reason other than due to that mistaken impression.

**Unless it isn't him, in which case those who think it is him are the goofballs!

I didn't think it was him! I just assumed, apparently mistakenly, that the voice work was recorded after his untimely death.

How many MCU actors are doing their own voice work for this series?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(07-08-2021, 02:15 PM)MichaelM Wrote: How many MCU actors are doing their own voice work for this series?

69 of them.

I didn’t think it was Boseman!

But I’m told that it is!
This is the one I've been most eager to see.
I'm not Avery.
(07-08-2021, 02:22 PM)Nooj Wrote: I didn’t think it was Boseman!

Goofball!

Those comics could be so dark. There was one where Peter doesn’t get separate from the symbiote in time, it prematurely ages him, then he dies of a heart attack. I think Mary Jane ended up being the one who finally killed it.
(07-08-2021, 02:26 PM)Misfit Wrote: Those comics could be so dark. 

Not as dark as one's soul in the moment the fear of missing out on Country Bear Jamboree takes hold ...

(07-08-2021, 02:16 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 02:15 PM)MichaelM Wrote: How many MCU actors are doing their own voice work for this series?

69 of them.

Contract negotiations must've been a real clusterfuck.

(07-08-2021, 02:34 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 02:16 PM)Overlord Wrote:

69 of them.

Contract negotiations must've been a real clusterfuck.

There was a real give and take to the dynamic.

(07-08-2021, 02:25 PM)Overlord Wrote: Goofball!

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b7611474ec8fb39fc13c05f...y.gif&ct=g]
No more wheeze in the juice.

You should feel terrible, now!

There's a wild one were Spider-Man keeps his six arms, saves Gwen Stacy and becomes Spider-Man full-time.

Being Peter Parker blows anyway.

I loved that about them. Lots of tragic downer endings where the dead characters stayed dead. Must have felt quite liberating for the writers.

I also kinda liked that voyeuristic little creep The Watcher.
Issue I remember best* ended with Magneto forcing Wolverine to commit suicide with his own claws. Great thing about alternate universes is that characters can make the obvious move right out of the gate.

*That and the all-yuks issue -- What If you had to sit behind the Leader at the movies--?
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
(07-08-2021, 02:59 PM)Overlord Wrote:

You should feel terrible, now!

I did! But that time is past for this goofball!
WHAT IF... the Internet had like a Database for Movies (and TV shows) where we could easily confirm who's been cast?!
(07-08-2021, 02:28 PM)Overlord Wrote:

Not as dark as one's soul in the moment the fear of missing out on Country Bear Jamboree takes hold ...

Keep it up and there’s going to be blood on the saddle.

There was an issue based on the FF all getting the same powers, one story for each power. Two were fairly lighthearted, other two were grim(m) as hell. Spoiler: Sue turned into Man-Thing.
(07-08-2021, 05:25 PM)bradito Wrote: WHAT IF... the Internet had like a Database for Movies (and TV shows) where we could easily confirm who's been cast?!

WHAT IF... you didn't make me feel terrible????
I will teach all of you how to use the Internet.

I swear it, no matter that it takes an eternity!
WHAT IF... I suddenly feel loved?
(07-08-2021, 05:25 PM)bradito Wrote: WHAT IF... the Internet had like a Database for Movies (and TV shows) where we could easily confirm who's been cast?!

WHAT IF said database isn't always 100% reliable, current, and/or some studios don't reveal information of some TV shows ahead of time?

Then we're fucked!
oddly, the wikipedia and imdb entry for the series lists all the live-action stars voicing the roles.... but there's no one listed for whoever is voicing Tony Stark
(07-08-2021, 06:48 PM)Nooj Wrote: oddly, the wikipedia and imdb entry for the series lists all the live-action stars voicing the roles.... but there's no one listed for whoever is voicing Tony Stark

It'll be John Cusack.

Terrence Howard