Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Trumpocalypse Now
Late to this today, but Garrison's cartoon really was a groaner. It's like he really HAS to spell things out to make his point; not just by connecting the dots, but by making them flashing lights. And I will only touch on the fact that in the story Quixote was insane and imagined the windmills were giants.
In fairness, 99% of political cartoons across the spectrum are just as witless and thuddingly obvious. But yeah, the Trumpists are a special breed of moronic even by those standards.
Ben clearing things up for all his so-called "critics". All the best cartoons come with lengthy explanations detailing the ways in which they are funny actually.

Quote:Ok I need to talk slowly so the leftist twits can understand.
1. Yes, I realize that the Don Quixote character from Cervantes’ novel attacked imaginary enemies as represented by the windmill, but Donald Trump Quixote’s enemies are not imagined. I read the book, did you?

https://twitter.com/CartoonsBen/status/1...0140549124
"I realize my metaphor makes no sense according to my premise, so let me explain exactly how it makes no sense according to my premise."
No Ben, you did not read the book. Just going out on a limb here.

I'd do shit like that in film college. I'd realize after I was finished with editing that my "art film" actually doesn't work whatsoever, so I'd try to walk back what I was doing as a "deconstruction" of art films, one that's intentionally not supposed to work.

Eventually I just stopped trying to make art and everyone supported that decision.
"Am I just a fucking idiot? No, it's the children who are wrong."
I dunno Ben, I think the fact that you keep using that imagery and getting it wrong is pretty good evidence you hadn't read the book.
The problem is, these are guys who think Quixote was doing the correct thing, even if it's stupid and absurd, maybe because it's stupid and absurd.
Put in proper context, the cartoon does make perfect sense, assuming that Trump is legitimately insane and that he's going to battle with 'censorship', an imaginary enemy that Republicans trot out whenever they get yelled at for having stupid and/or vile opinions.

It actually sums up the GOP's culture wars quite beautifully.
Yeah, I mean when I first glanced at the comic I thought it was making a joke at Trump's expense. Someone should tell that guy it's easier to change his political affiliation than the meaning of a 400 year old book.
"What my cartoon pre-supposes is... what if he was fat and ugly?"
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(07-09-2021, 01:50 PM)bradito Wrote: The problem is, these are guys who think Quixote was doing the correct thing, even if it's stupid and absurd, maybe because it's stupid and absurd.

I see someone else has also listened to the lyrics of the song 'The Impossible Dream' and wondered whether the audience is expected to take it seriously or ironically in the context of the actual character of Donkey Hote.

(07-09-2021, 12:17 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: "I realize my metaphor makes no sense according to my premise, so let me explain exactly how it makes no sense according to my premise."

...and it goes to the asshole fascist republican mantra of "never admit you are wrong...ever."

They can't admit (psychologically incapable of) admitting they are wrong about ANYTHING because if they are wrong about ONE thing, that would mean that they might be wrong about something else in their lives and then their whole ideology starts to crumble.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
(07-09-2021, 02:56 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Put in proper context, the cartoon does make perfect sense, assuming that Trump is legitimately insane and that he's going to battle with 'censorship', an imaginary enemy that Republicans trot out whenever they get yelled at for having stupid and/or vile opinions.

I think the problem here is: Why fucking use Don Quixote?  Like is he worshipped in right-wing corners of the internet?

Like, ya coulda made this easier for yourself, but then you went with way that's complex for no real reason.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
(07-09-2021, 05:11 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(07-09-2021, 02:56 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: Put in proper context, the cartoon does make perfect sense, assuming that Trump is legitimately insane and that he's going to battle with 'censorship', an imaginary enemy that Republicans trot out whenever they get yelled at for having stupid and/or vile opinions.

I think the problem here is: Why fucking use Don Quixote?  Like is he worshipped in right-wing corners of the internet?

Like, ya coulda made this easier for yourself, but then you went with way that's complex for no real reason.

You remember the type of people you're talking about right? Trump could've made tons of things easier on himself by just...ya know...not being a crooked shit ass, but....I don't think NOT doing the illegal/awful/shady thing ever even occurs to him..

I think it does stick in their craw that they're perceived as witless, non-college-educated dummies by The Coastal Elites. And so, they want to make ostensibly intelligent-seeming political cartoons, similar to the left-wing content that they see, with references to Orwell, or major historical events, or science -- topics that they don't understand, reject or break out in a rash just thinking about.

But where a smart person can fake being stupid, a stupid person can't fake being smart. They'll keep trying, tho.
They forgot the "?" and "Profit" phases!

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/statu...9952395265

Quote:CPAC attendee sent me this pic of a card they were handed about a “7-pt. plan to restore Donald J. Trump in days, not years,” which involves installing Trump as speaker and ousting Biden & Harris.

[Image: E54pY5wXsAI7qbv?format=jpg&name=900x900]
I have decades of experience cultivating amusing personas online.

This makes me think I should really be putting myself to work scamming Republican rubes out of their hard-earned dollars with ridiculously improbable conspiracy theory shams.

Hey, so... QQ... Uh, how does a 50/50 Senate have enough votes to convict?
(07-09-2021, 09:35 PM)bradito Wrote: Hey, so... QQ... Uh, how does a 50/50 Senate have enough votes to convict?

For that information you're going to need to subscribe to my "Reverse the Steal" 501©(3) organization's daily updates.  All donations are tax-deductible; we recommend that you start with a Freedom Contribution™ of $200.00 per month.

If you increase that to $250.00 per month you'll also receive a laminated placard you can hang your neck that will repel service staff of all types who believe they are allowed to infringe upon your Constitutional right to go maskless anywhere you please.

"Freedom Contribution."

I lol'd.
I like how step one is "maybe this is a metaphor, or maybe we literally think The Wizard Of Oz is how reality works; you'll never know...!"
It's an amazing cartoon, however pathetically sad and off the mark it may be.

The water heater windmill of censorship is stealing cash from somewhere, and is propeller-fanned by social media (bans on Donkey Hotep).  

If the metaphor were accurate the shield would be frivolous litigation.  And the lance would be fascism.
If they pull off Step 3, isn't there really no need for the remaining steps?
Just this guy, you know?
I'm guessing they started with three steps and then their lawyer or accountant or pool guy or something said "Doesn't work that way" so instead of changing the list they just added more steps
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
7 is a culty number.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(07-10-2021, 07:06 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: If they pull off Step 3, isn't there really no need for the remaining steps?
They got to three steps, then someone thought "wait, that's that Skynyrd song about how short-tempered hicks with guns are actually kinda scary!" and they got all huffy and had to change it.
What do these guys want Trump to actually *do* after he's reinstated? He ran the country into the ground last time and doesn't learn from his mistakes, so...
Make em feel okay about being shit human beings?

I don't think they felt okay about themselves when he was president. I mean, he sure didn't. They were miserable the entire time.
Well....when you're a person who believes that he did the most and best presidenting that any president ever presidented and NOT that he ran the country into the ground...there's no point in arguing or pointing out the obvious. Even though they can't name one good thing he did without making something up or finding something online that some other dipshit made up. It does no good to point out that he did nothing but play golf, dismantle Obama administration policies and fuck up.

He was supposed to be present at the Capitol and lead the charge, remember? And yet...nobody takes him to task for wussing out of that..

I just wish these morons would really buy the nonsense about his shadow presidency and believe that all the good things that are happening right now were engineered by Trump and that future elections are meaningless and just for show, so they'll never vote again because Trump's always going to be running things regardless.

That's my wish.
(07-10-2021, 06:39 PM)bradito Wrote: I just wish these morons would really buy the nonsense about his shadow presidency and believe that all the good things that are happening right now were engineered by Trump and that future elections are meaningless and just for show, so they'll never vote again because Trump's always going to be running things regardless.

That's my wish.

That's a wordy wish. I feel like you are going to have to repeat that several times to the genie or I guess Djinn.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Well Ben Garrison sure showed us....

[Image: 216353678_4194722373921374_3146080954259...e=60F0FF11]
Just this guy, you know?