Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MOVIE THAT I JUST WATCHED Thread
There were good bikini designers in prehistoric times, apparently.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Watching confessions of a superhero(2007) its about the street performers portraying superheroes on Hollywood Boulevard. One of the focuses of the movie is a super fan who portays superman who claims to be the son of oscar winner sandy dennis. Was interested enough to look him up and apparently he died homeless a couple years ago. Sad stuff. Interesting documentary available on tubi.
(06-30-2021, 03:29 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: There were good bikini designers in prehistoric times, apparently.

I demand Raquel Welch in historically accurate cave man attire. 

They probably wore little to nothing you say?

So be it..

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL (1987)

A slight oddity in 80s teens movies in that it was written and produced by John Hughes, but not directed by him. His absence in the director's chair is felt.

I've seen it before but not for at least 30 years - while I retained memories of the scenes visually, I remembered very little about the dialogue and actual plot. Essentially a retelling of PRETTY IN PINK with the genders swapped - and the ending Hughes originally wanted for the previous film.

While it has some fun parts - and the emotional resolution is in some ways surprisingly ahead of its time - the film suffers from not being set in Hughes' fictional Shermer, IL. And with the exception of one song, the soundtrack is wholly unremarkable - which for an 80s teen film is a nearly unforgiveable sin. And for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, the film's handling of the 80s high school caste system just doesn't work. Especially not compared to how it works in 16 CANDLES or BREAKFAST CLUB.

Elias Koteas is a hoot in it, though. He lights up every scene he's in.

It was fun to revisit this once but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I don't know, I think the fact that it's demonstrably NOT set in Illinois gives it a unique vibe in relation to the rest of the Hughes high school catalog.
It does, but (IMNSHO), not in a good way. For me, it being shot in LA but with no attempt to give the locale any character or flavor genericizes the film.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Cutter's Way.  Techincally watched this yesterday, but I've been thinking about it since then.  It's a quintessential Neo-noir: a crime drama barely about the crime itself--in this case a woman is raped and murdered--and more about the dysfunctional relationships between Bone (Jeff Bridges) and Cutter (John Heard).  Bone is the neo-noir archtype in that he has no convictions, is utterly wishy-washy, and would rather spend life drifting between bored housewives and getting drunk with his friends.  He's the sole witness to the perpetrator dumping the body in a trash can, and believes that it could have possibly been an oil tycoon responsible for it.  But he doesn't commit to it, and would rather leave things be.  Cutter, on the other hand, is a drunken, disabled Vietnam vet who initially comes off as a racist asshole, but it's soon revealed that he's a man who desperately wants to believe what "America could be" and latches onto Bone's theory as a way to get back at the rich assholes "whose asses are never on the line."

Like many 70s drama, this is absolutely a post-Watergate movie; it's ambiguous as all hell.  Bone barely got a glimpse of the murderer, and the movie itself never really commits to wether or not Bone is right about who killed the girl.  But again, the film isn't really about giving answers.  It is  instead about a generation fed promises of wealth and success, and are instead left behind and wounded by.a political system all too willing to dispatch of them.  In between Cutter and Bone is Mo (played excellently by Lisa Eichhorn), wife of Cutter but there's clearly unsolved sexual tension between her and Bone. A woman struggling to keep it together, even though she's quietly breaking herself.  Eichhorn's performance is a big reason why this film is great; it doesn't entirely give the game away, providing a nuance measured contrast to Cutter's explosive personality.  It felt real in a way, that I tend not to see in hollywood films of that era.

Ultimately I think Cutter's Way is about people who know something is dreadfully wrong and yet are powerless to do anything about it.  We hide in movies that give us happy endings, but the monsters are still present.  "So what if it where" a character says in response to Cutter's accusation, and I feel like that represents the world as a whole.  A world in which powerful people can get away with literal murder, and there isn't a damn thing any of us can do to stop it.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
I've been trying to make this take happen for years: The Big Lebowski is the Disney Musical version of Cutter's Way.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(07-11-2021, 01:43 PM)hammerhead Wrote: I've been trying to make this take happen for years: The Big Lebowski is the Disney Musical version of Cutter's Way.

hahaha...that's really great!  The Dude and Bone are pretty much the same: flakey brohemians who skate through life and would much prefer it if life didn't ask too much of them, and yet are forced into things by situations beyond their control.  Walter is basically a more unhinged version of Cutter, though Cutter despises himself and sees his sacrifice as not amounting to shit, Walter's entire personality depends on it.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
The Dead Don't Die (2019)

After seeing the cast list I had to check this out. Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Danny Glover, etc etc, in a zombie movie. You know, if I'd gone to the theatre to watch this I'd probably be annoyed by it. It's a remarkably slow-moving film set in a nowhere town during a catastrophic climate change event that causes a global zombie uprising. Characters meander around, various things get setup and then just ...left, Bill Murray stands and looks at things. Zombies occaisionally kill people. Tilda Swinton was... well, in another movie altogether maybe? It ends in a pointless massacre in a field, but not before the characters break the fourth wall to talk about the script and the director and tell the audience about the ending..

Given that I was at home and didn't care all that much, I guess it was ok? Not really? I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and it didn't make sense, but I get the strong feeling this kind of weird, lacklustre, oddly-paced zombie movie was actually what they were trying to make. Maybe it's some kind of massive in-joke. It's the perfect movie to get up during and go get a snack from the kitchen.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
The Old Guard (2020)
Like mixing your half-eaten lo mian with your half-eaten Sichuan chicken and throwing it all in the microwave, The Old Guard is a fairly tepid mash-up of Wolverine and John Wick with just enough dourness thrown in to sap it of any real fun. When your premise is "Immortal Soldiers of Fortune" you need a script that's either very smart or very dumb, and this unfortunately falls squarely into the "eh, whatever" camp. Greg Rucka is one of those comic writers who is undoubtedly talented, but so prolific that a lot of his output often feels like lesser derivatives of his own work, and I definitely think that's the case here. It doesn't feel like anyone's phoning it in, but everything from Theron as the lead on down is just so workmanlike that the result is a movie almost entirely bereft of personality. Not a bad movie, just a thoroughly uninteresting one.
(07-11-2021, 08:14 PM)Jones Wrote: The Dead Don't Die (2019)

After seeing the cast list I had to check this out.  Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Danny Glover, etc etc, in a zombie movie.  You know, if I'd gone to the theatre to watch this I'd probably be annoyed by it.  It's a remarkably slow-moving film set in a nowhere town during a catastrophic climate change event that causes a global zombie uprising.  Characters meander around, various things get setup and then just ...left, Bill Murray stands and looks at things.  Zombies occaisionally kill people.  Tilda Swinton was... well, in another movie altogether maybe?  It ends in a pointless massacre in a field, but not before the characters break the fourth wall to talk about the script and the director and tell the audience about the ending..

Given that I was at home and didn't care all that much, I guess it was ok?  Not really?  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and it didn't make sense, but I get the strong feeling this kind of weird, lacklustre, oddly-paced zombie movie was actually what they were trying to make.  Maybe it's some kind of massive in-joke.  It's the perfect movie to get up during and go get a snack from the kitchen.

Considering this is Jarmusch we're talking about there, its' a given that this wouldn't be a traditional zombie film.
Okay..I need someone to help me make sense of this film because I am baffled by Alan Rudolph's Trouble In Mind.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]

It was listed in the Criterion Channel's Neonoir playlist, so I decided to check it out.  What I find is 90 min of pure insanity.  Trouble in Mind feels like a cult classic by way of Streets on Fire: neo-retro city, crazy fucking gangmembers with ridiculous haircuts, and ridiculous dialogue and plotting.  It starts off simple enough, a couple head to the city in order to find new opportunities and to provide for their newborn child; an ex-cop is newly released from prison after killing a gang member in cold blood.  What follows is this weird slice of life dramedy that settles between outright camp and full on parody. Kris Kristofferson plays the cop as a sex addicted date rapist; among the first thing he does is "rapes until she likes it" his friend, and she responds with mild annoyance, and then it's never mentioned again.  He spends the rest of the movie wearing down the female lead, Georgia (played by Lori Singer) who is extremely naive, to the point of being near childlike, which makes every single one of his interactions with her uncomfortable as all hell, like a Lion stalking his prey.  He straights up says at one point that she'll only help her if she ditches her husband and "become his."  Yikes indeed.

The most bewildering subplot, and probably what kept me enthralled, was the husband (played by David Carridine) transformation from down on his luck joe to basically the Joker.  He teams up with a fellow gangster and they go around (poorly) performing heists.  It's a running gag that whenever we see Carradine, his outfit becomes even more ridiculously.  And then there's this whole cult thing that goes completely unexplained and ends in an utterly baffling sequence that has to be seen to believe.  I'm pretty sure all of this is intentional.  The climax is pretty funny: the main bad guy gets shot down, causing a massive shoot out with random gangsters, all while David Carradine solemnly walks out of the place as everything literally blows up around him.  I think I liked it.  I don't know.
It's been a long time since I've seen it. I don't remember any of the sex stuff-- maybe I blocked it out?

What I do remember is the priceless moment when Carradine tries out his super-cool, practiced-in-the-mirror hidden knife move on Kristofferson and it totally fails.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(07-15-2021, 01:27 PM)hammerhead Wrote: It's been a long time since I've seen it. I don't remember any of the sex stuff-- maybe I blocked it out?

What I do remember is the priceless moment when Carradine tries out his super-cool, practiced-in-the-mirror hidden knife move on Kristofferson and it totally fails.

Yeah...like they're ex-lovers, she tells him she just wants to be friends, he refuses to take no for an answer and basically assaults her until she goes "oh well" and goes along with it.  He tries the same thing with Georgia, and it's uncomfortable.  Especially in 2021.

But Carradine is fucking great in this.  Just rolls with all of the absurdity.
This is Rudolph's acid trip version of Casablanca, also featuring Joe Morton as a beat poet/thief and Devine out-of-drag as gangster Hilly Blue. It was aparently a bare-bones budget production but it's great use of rainy Seattle and its locations gives it a bigger scope. I saw it first during its brief theatrical run and even back then the sexual politics were uncomfortable as hell - but everything about Trouble in Mind seems a bit off-centre. Then there's Carradine; he just marches up, grabs the hair gel, and steals the show.
GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE.

Don't.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
Oh come on!! It looks fantastic!
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
that trailer looks intriguing. But the fact that Judas hates this makes me more intrigued.

You son of a bitch, I'm in
(07-15-2021, 10:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE.

Don't.

I won't!
It's a 'try too hard' movie. It takes disparate elements from various Tarantino films, JOHN WICK, LEON, and other similar films, revs them in a blender and then puts it all on the screen in a gaudy fashion. The action is substandard in terms of choreography and staging...it's never convincing.

The girl in it is the same girl who charmed her way through MY SPY, with Dave Bautista. She's actually pretty good here. Unfortunately, the 'lead' of the film, Karen Gillan, is flat out terrible. She's essentially playing Nebula here too and it doesn't work. She does not make a good case for herself to graduate to lead status.
Judas is 100% spot on. It's bad. BAD.

Gillan is either wildly miscast, badly directed, or both. JB is also correct that she's basically playing nebula without the getup and it does not work.

It's very try hard and manages to use every action/crime trope without understanding how to breathe life into them.

Did you like 'the Continental' in JOHN WICK? Well, this one has a library, a diner, and a clinic that are all exclusive to assassins! The library also has a gimmick where all of the books secretly contain weapons!

Did you like Mathilda in LEON/THE PROFESSIONAL? Well, this one has two of them. First, you've got some flashbacks of young Karen Gillan dealing with her mother who is an assassin. Then, you've got adult Karen Gillan dealing with a little girl that she saves and allows to tag along.

Did you like in JOHN WICK 3 how there's a shadow organization running all of the assassins? Well, this one has that too: it's called 'The Firm', and it doesn't even have Jimmy Page in it. Instead, you've got Paul Giamatti cashing a paycheck for 2 days of work.

Did you like in JOHN WICK 2 where all of the opposing assassins got text message alerts stating there was a contract on John? Well, this one has that too. There's a copy-cat scene where a ton of them on a bus all get the same text and look at their phones at the same time.

Did you like the well choreographed action in JOHN WICK or ATOMIC BLONDE? Sorry, you're out of luck. Instead of action that flows, you've got a couple of 'money shots', sometimes in slow motion, interspersed with quick cut action that is semi-coherent. Also, it's readily apparent that almost none of the women involved (Karen Gillan, Angela Bassett, Lena Headey, and especially Carla Cugino) have undergone the necessary fight choreography training required to be believable. Only Michelle Yeoh is convincing, and that's because she's Michelle Fucking Yeoh and you'd expect nothing less.

Fill the film with a couple of legitimate actors and ton of stuntmen who can't act and yeah...that's the film. Add in a ton of poorly chosen needle drops to try and make it cool and it just falls apart.
I only made it to one of the needle drops and JFC that was a terrible song and terrible choice.

Guessing Studio Canal only had a few pennies in the budget for song rights.

NOW I'M REALLY INTRIGUED!!!
Give it ten minutes of your time and you won't be. It's not interesting-bad. It's just bad-bad.

(07-16-2021, 10:54 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I only made it to one of the needle drops and JFC that was a terrible song and terrible choice.

Guessing Studio Canal only had a few pennies in the budget for song rights.

We finished it.  It was probably a 'fallacy of sunk costs' situation where my wife and I were like 'well, we're halfway through with this...may as well finish it because it can't get any worse'.  And of course, we were wrong.

There's this big battle at the end in a diner that is completely in slow motion.  Wisely, the focus on the battle is on Michell Yeogh for the most part because she's actually convincing.  Near the end of it, you've got Angela Bassett smashing a guy's face into a...you guessed it...milkshake as her big action beat while bullets are flying around.  It was just a laughable piece of work overall.  All of the other scenes aren't much better.  There's absolutely NOTHING in this film that you haven't seen done before, only better.

This is like Maseratti coming out with a really killer line of cars and Kia trying to copy the design and failing.
(07-15-2021, 10:56 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE.

Don't.

I'll never understand these types of posts.

'Hey, I didn't like a movie so nobody else should ever even give it a look.'

Thanks, Pauline Kael.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(07-16-2021, 12:13 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote:

Don't.

Thanks, Pauline Kael.

Or hey, maybe I only had a minute to post something quick initially.  You'll no doubt notice that I posted additional clarifying information in subsequent posts to...

Never mind.  I won't even bother.
And/or it could be for humorous effect. Because, and this may shock some folks, sometimes people post stuff to be funny.

And/or our community is pretty small at this point, and a lot of us have a bead on each other's tastes. So even a one-word reaction sometimes says a lot.

(07-16-2021, 12:13 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote:

Don't.

Thanks, Pauline Kael.

I'm sure you understand what a "thumbs down" review denotes just fine.
Hang 'em High

Goddammit.

I want to like this movie. I've always wanted to like this movie. And I keep returning to it thinking that THIS will be the time that it finally clicks. 

This is the last time I'm doing this. It's probably my number 1 "trying to will myself into liking it" movie. 

The premise sets it up to be about as easy a home run as is possible. Clint Eastwood wrongly lynched and out for revenge against the people who did it to him? How do you screw that up? But the revenge is never satisfying and it meanders around doing boring shit when it should be all business. The first half hour is pretty good. Then it's off to bullshit land. Revenge movies need to have the fat trimmed from them and they need to deliver satisfyingly on their simple premise. Am I the only one that feels this way about this movie?

I never cared for that one either, Fraid. You have my sword.
LexG did an Eastwood lightning round on his podcast, and talked about how as a kid it seemed boring because he came to it after seeing the Leone films. It's very much a traditional Western. You have to come at it that way. Stylistically, it's less flash, more meat and potatoes. Nobody's gonna confuse Ted Post with either of the Sergios or Bloody Sam. Still, Clint is very good in it. Makes for a good B movie capper in a double feature with THE OX-BOW INCIDENT.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I kind of like Hang 'Em High. Peak Pat Hingle. Right?
Brigadier Cousins on PSN