Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
I'm not saying that. It's just interesting that this is how they're marketing it.
(07-27-2021, 10:13 AM)MichaelM Wrote: 2016 was terrible. It had four solidly talented comedic leads and squandered all of them.

While I get the instinct, I think approaching an old series with 'respect' is a bad way to go. The best way to respect a character or a story is to continue them or it in a dramatic and interesting way. 

This whole 'passing the torch' meta thing make me want to hit the boak. 

For all that the trailers leaned in hard to the (pretty saccharine) 'Chewie, we're home' stuff, I really appreciated how The Force Awakens handled its characters. Han got a nice moment with a restrained version of the Star Wars theme in his cockpit... and then it got back nto the story of him being murdered by his school shooter son. That's good shit. That's the kind of decision the creator of a character, who doesn't regard them as precious, delicate things*, might take.

A bad example - which the Ghostbusters: After Life advertising seems to be going with a weee bit - is the occasional episodes you'd get in Doctor Who when it was recently revived. An old side character or Doctor actor would turn up and the story and dialogue would end up being some cloying meta stuff about how much the actor meant to the screenwriter. 

The best attitude directors should have to these sort of sequels should be 'What if the original creators made another great GB/Indy/Star Wars/Terminator/Aliens/Predator film a few years after the final entry they produced? What interesting and new stuff could they have done with this?'

Not 'How do we honour... the legacy... the fans... the characters... which meant... so much to us... when we were kids... How can we... pass that torch... in a way that resonates... through the storytelling?'

*Obviously, legacy characters *are* precious, delicate things. But there's no point in taking them out if you're not going to do something interesting with him that could risk at least scuffing them a little bit.
If you removed the GB IP elements, I think it would feel very generic - a standard teen film with effects.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I like 95% of what’s in that new trailer - apart from the remote controlled ghost trap - that just seems like something from a modern day action film as opposed to what the Ghostbusters would use back in ‘84/‘89, plus the mini StayPuft men scene.

It’s undoubtedly aimed at the Stranger Things market - hence the Wolf kid and tweenie characters, but that’s to be expected in this day and age.

Love Ray at the end and if the is doesn’t have Ray, Winston and a grumpy Peter turn up when they’re needed most then pass on the torch, I’ll eat my own foot.
I think it looks good!

After the botched 2016 movie, which utterly failed to capture the very specific, dry, sarcastic tone of the original's humor, I'm completely fine with positioning this more as a kid/teen/family adventure film.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(07-27-2021, 10:35 AM)MichaelM Wrote: If you removed the GB IP elements, I think it would feel very generic - a standard teen film with effects.

That's mostly what I'm getting. It's got that faux-amblin vibe that feels more Goonies than Ghostbusters.

Also, was somebody threatening to shoot Paul Rudd's dog if he exhibited any charm or humour?
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(07-27-2021, 10:54 AM)Evi Wrote: Also, was somebody threatening to shoot Paul Rudd's dog if he exhibited any charm or humour?

If you hire folks like Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd and then sidelline them for a buncha teenagers....you deserve what you get.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

What I got from that trailer is that someone at the studio wants to try and tap into the Netflix $$$

"Stranger Ghostbuster Things"
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Looks very sincere. If they're able to do what they're trying to do successfully, I'll be very happy, but that's an enormous if.

My guess is it'll be fine.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-27-2021, 11:07 AM)vtran Wrote: What I got from that trailer is that someone at the studio wants to try and tap into the Netflix $$$

"Stranger Ghostbuster Things"

Casting Wolfhard and having the daughter look like Millie Bobby Brown sure doesn't help that comparison either.
Just this guy, you know?
I guess I’m a sucker because I’m in. It looks good.

It’s a low bar to clear but the trailer alone is better than anything we got from the 2016 film.

Janine is totally giving off mom/grandma vibes to me.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Vibes? The trailer explicitly makes her a grandma.

What this movies doesn’t seem to have (from just the trailer obvs) is the sexy/sleazy vibe that the original GB had - although that my have been down to being on the cusp of puberty back in 84 when everything seemed sleazy. And yeah, you can’t have that vibe when kids are running the show like they are here.

Also hope they go for the in-camera light effects like they did with the original GB - like the lights behind the door in Dana’s kitchen and the lights breaking out from the wall when the containment field is switched off.
Hmmm, maybe they're saving the comedy for the final trailer?
(07-27-2021, 11:38 AM)bradito Wrote: Hmmm, maybe they're saving the comedy for the final trailer?

A brilliant marketing move for a comedy series!

And Stale Elvis: yeah, nailed it on the head re: the slightly sleazy/naughty aspect of the original film. In 2021, you can't really get away with that and win your precious four quadrants. Back in the 70s and 80s, you could've. Now? Not so much.

To be fair, the original was set in 80's New York. Sleazy was inevitable.
Why are they watching the Ghostbusters commercial in a tiny window instead of hitting the fullscreen button? Is that how the cool kids watch stuff these days?

I've no idea what the quality of the final product will be, but I've seen much worse Sony trailers (MIB International).
it’s so that fans can look at the video recommendations on the side for more worldbuilding lore!!!

VISIAL EASTEREGGING 101!!!
cross platforming synergies AWWWW YEAAAHHHHH

I recently rewatched COLOSSAL, which also featured characters getting exposition over YouTube (or a similar off brand site), and even then it wasn’t full screen

Suggestions on the side!
Yes, seeing this set in a different, more rural place gives it so much more like a 70's and 80s Spielberg production vibe. I'm seeing some CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, some SUPER-8 and Rudd keeps giving me Richard Dreyfuss/Matt Hooper vibes. Someone get this man a hat and a denim jacket, stat. And the last bit: "We're closed" isn't quite as uplifting as Han's "We're home," but it'll do I suppose. And those pinkish spectral trails and haircut suuuuure look familiar, 'eh?

I'm still all-in, of course. Not what I was expecting or what I would've said I wanted so far, but I'm still interested.
Imagine that you live in a universe where A) ghosts are real, B) a small group of four dweeby scientists went into business capturing them, and C) they saved the world literally twice.

We live in a universe where only movies were made about this happening, and 37 years later, we're still talking about the Ghostbusters.

However, the new movie has memory-holed the Ghostbusters for... reasons.
Sadly there was no YouTube then. If only people had had iPhones in '84. They could have selfied in Columbus Circle as Mr. Stay Puft had marched up Central Park West.
I hope they remember to Google that one time Ray was on Joe Franklin. We never did find out how Elvis was and if he'd seen him lately.
(07-27-2021, 12:56 PM)bradito Wrote: However, the new movie has memory-holed the Ghostbusters for... reasons.

That's the one element, as of now, that I don't particularly like.

After saving the world twice, there's no way the Ghostbusters fall into total obscurity.
Are they obscure though, or just retired? Setting it in the country removes their instant celebrity in relation to the characters. Maybe the grownups all remember but just the kids don't, not having been there at the time. Any kids who have heard of the GBs in that farm town probably don't know the name Spengler has any significance at all. He was probably just "that kook from New York in that big old house" to them, and probably by design. What was Egon doing out there? Was that his family homestead? Or maybe Ray's? ("My parents left me that house, I was born there...") Or was Egon working on something quietly at the end of town, far from prying eyes, and chose a place nobody would know him for a reason? ("Call it fate, call it luck, call it karma. I believe everything happens for a reason.") Maybe the kids know the legend of what happened in '84 and '89 but know no specifics.

(* I just found out that most of the mid-20s youngin's I work with have never seen JAWS, so things fall through the cracks nowadays in big ways.)
I can maybe believe that kids who are barely teenagers know about ghosts but don't know about the ghostbusters yet. It's less believable that the granddaughter of one wouldn't have been told every fucking detail a million times. The first words Neil Armstrong's grandkid heard when coming out the vagina were probably "Your grandfather walked on the mooon"
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Grown-Up: "You've never heard about the four men who saved the world, twice, from Sumerian and Carpathian Gods?!"
Kid: "No, they don't talk about religion in schools around here."
"Have you heard of the tragedy of Venkman the horny?"
I mean, one of them had a TV show.
On what looked like NYC cable access.
That probably didn't even make it through Connecticut.

Bassmasters on the other hand...
Oh hey nice, Young Sheldon's Mee-maw is in this.
Git' in under mah belly!
I mean, here's how they would've ended up:

Venkman: cancelled
Stanz: Alex Jones but with ghosts
Spengler: Finally drilled that hole in his head
Zeddmore: Regional manager of Ghostbusters franchises along the East Coast
It's an odd choice to have the emotional core center around Egon, a character not exactly known for his emotions.

The opposite of Harold Ramis, a warm and loving guy by all accounts. So the implication is Egon settled down and effectively became Ramis off camera and this is (more or less) about the original cast mourning Ramis himself. Right?

I'm reading too much into this, aren't I?

The real ending to Big...
nah you're probably right

But I don't think centering the lore around Egon is too odd. Egon being 'inscrutable' makes him useful in terms of painting a mystery

if it was Ray, nothing would be kept mysterious since he'd talk to anyone who'd listen
I don't really buy Egon having a family, but it is what it is. I get that they felt they needed some kind of hook and wanted to pay respects to Ramis by making Egon important to the story.