Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JASON REITMAN'S GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release Thread
(07-27-2021, 03:31 PM)filmnerdjamie Wrote: It's an odd choice to have the emotional core center around Egon, a character not exactly known for his emotions.

The opposite of Harold Ramis, a warm and loving guy by all accounts. So the implication is Egon settled down and effectively became Ramis off camera and this is (more or less) about the original cast mourning Ramis himself. Right?

I'm reading too much into this, aren't I?

Probably. Im just picturing a giant monster gobbling money.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I just cant wait for RLM to chime in.
They're the only other people I know who have gone to NYC almost specifically to tour GHOSTBUSTERS locations.
(07-27-2021, 03:51 PM)engineer Wrote: I just cant wait for RLM to chime in.
They're the only other people I know who have gone to NYC almost specifically to tour GHOSTBUSTERS locations.

I want to say James Rolfe did too.

The real ending to Big...

I saw the Ghostbuster apartment building while in NYC a few weeks ago.  I was really disappointed to discover that the entire top of the building in the film was apparently a matte painting.

Somehow I missed that factoid while google searching.

I bought a Ghost Popper a few weeks ago and have mowed down all my He-Man characters with foam projectiles.
(07-27-2021, 04:14 PM)bradito Wrote: I bought a Ghost Popper a few weeks ago and have mowed down all my He-Man characters with foam projectiles.

The Ghostbusters toys in the mid 80s were fucking amazing.  The actual foot activated trap, the proton packs, they were all great.

Since modern toys are pieces of cheap shit that are fit only for being melted down into plastic slurry, I went online to see how much the vintage toys were on ebay.  Upon seeing the prices, I decided modern toys would have to do.

Walmart's been reissuing some of the classic Ghostbusters toys. I now have the original animated crew plus Slimer.
But will they bring back Ecto Cooler? I know they did for the last movie, but I was never able to find any.

Not selling any of the comedy seems like a weird choice. Weirder still because we know the movie has comedy, they've already released a whole great little weird comedy bit, but this trailer makes the movie look like it's not even going to be funny.
(07-27-2021, 04:07 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I saw the Ghostbuster apartment building while in NYC a few weeks ago.  I was really disappointed to discover that the entire top of the building in the film was apparently a matte painting.

Somehow I missed that factoid while google searching.

Movie.  Magic.

My first few trips to NYC were all film location hunts.  GHOSTBUSTERS 1 and 2, LEGAL EAGLES, SUPERMAN, MEN IN BLACK, DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE, CARLITO'S WAY, SPIDER-MAN, SLIVER, THE FRENCH CONNECTION, ANNIE HALL, MANHATTAN, THE HARD WAY, THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, THE BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES, THE FISHER KING, RENT, DARK WATER, KING OF NEW YORK, many more.

"This used to be my playground."
It must be real cool living in New York and the place being littered with iconic locations from film (and fiction, generally - I'd like to see where Gatsby lived or where Raiden fought Solidus in MGS2). They're shooting Batman and Indiana Jones V in Glasgow at the moment, but those scenes are going to be dressed up and disguised.

I'll always have that one gratingly sappy episode of Parks and Recreation when Leslie bought Ron a trip to Scotland and he went through the central train station I use everyday. And endless episodes of dreich Scottish murder/drug series where corpses are fished out of famous landmarks on the Clyde.
(07-27-2021, 11:31 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Vibes? The trailer explicitly makes her a grandma.

I meant Egon’s wife. The kids grandma.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Cool, are you anywhere near the locations of UNDER THE SKIN, LOCAL HERO, or I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING?
(07-27-2021, 05:28 PM)rexbanner Wrote: I'll always have that one gratingly sappy episode of Parks and Recreation when Leslie bought Ron a trip to Scotland and he went through the central train station I use everyday. And endless episodes of dreich Scottish murder/drug series where corpses are fished out of famous landmarks on the Clyde.
If it makes you feel any better, my hometown hallmarks are the Mary Tyler Moore opening and the skywalk rollerblading sequence in The Mighty Ducks.

And I guess Purple Rain.
We have a Movie Locations You've Visited Thread, too!
http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=150049

Most of the photos are fubar'd from the carryover from the old CHUD site, though.
(07-27-2021, 05:32 PM)engineer Wrote: Cool, are you anywhere near the locations of UNDER THE SKIN, LOCAL HERO, or I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING?

Yes for 'Under the Skin'! - that did make good use of Glasgow and the parks and stuff nearby. The alien spends a lot of time wandering about the high street and some of the industrial estates, and I'm sure I've been to the park that features in the last 20 mins.
I've been to the Ralphs grocery store in Century City that you can briefly see in Die Hard when he goes to the roof to call for help.

Parking sux there.
(07-27-2021, 05:30 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 11:31 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Vibes? The trailer explicitly makes her a grandma.

I'm deeply, deeply confused at this point because we're talking about the same character who is indeed a grandma, as made explicit by the trailer and yet you're saying it was weird or strange that she gave off grandma vibes?

I need to sit down.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Egon married Janine??

(07-27-2021, 08:14 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

I'm deeply, deeply confused at this point because we're talking about the same character who is indeed a grandma, as made explicit by the trailer and yet you're saying it was weird or strange that she gave off grandma vibes?

I need to sit down.

I’m saying she was giving off the vibe that she married Egon and is the mother/grandmother of the main characters.
(07-27-2021, 08:17 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 08:14 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

I need to sit down.

I’m saying she was giving off the vibe that she married Egon and is the mother/grandmother of the main characters.

Still damn confused because the trailer doesn't vibe it, it comes out and says it.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

that’s what I’m getting at. She married Egon and had his kid. They don’t exactly spell it out in the trailer.
(07-27-2021, 08:18 PM)Paul755 Wrote: that’s what I’m getting at. She married Egon and had his kid. They don’t exactly spell it out in the trailer.

OK, here's where I admit I was wrong! You're correct. The trailer doesn't spell it out. It does give off a heavy vibe in that direction, though, yes!

Yeah, the trailer does not explicitly say Egon married Janine. The trailer gives off the vibe she is the grandma, (or at least it's easy to read it that way because of the first movie and cartoon) but she could just as easily not be as well. Like she could just be there showing them the house.
As a guy who HATED 2016 for essentially not being a Ghostbusters movie, I think some of you guys are being slightly too precious about what makes a Ghostbusters moobie.
(07-27-2021, 08:54 PM)freeman Wrote: As a guy who HATED 2016 for essentially not being a Ghostbusters movie, I think some of you guys are being slightly too precious about what makes a Ghostbusters moobie.

This. This is likely mana from heaven after that last GINO movie..

Even if it wasn't a comedy, as long as it's good, I wouldn't care. And I'd be kind of shocked of Jason Reitman just dropped the ball on this.

I just find the marketing with that trailer weird, because we do know there's comedy, they've already released a whole comedy bit from the movie. Although I also find it weird that anyone that's kind of been following the movie would also be thrown off by the tone of the newest trailer as to what kind of movie it is. I mean I could get it if this trailer was the only thing you've seen, but if you've seen the whole bit with the little Stay Puft Marshmallow Men joyously killing themselves then I don't get it at all.
I live right down the block from the house Tommy goes into and gets whacked in Goodfellas.  Probably the only place from any movie shot in New York (other than landmarks or monuments) that I've seen and I've lived here all my life. And only cause I've had to drive by the house just getting around the neighborhood

I thought this trailer was pretty good. Sure light on the humor but it hit the right nostalgic notes for me
Whoa, Goodfellas spoilers!!
I guess screw poor Louis huh. He didn't get to be the key master to Janine's gate keeper after all..

Louis was Janine's sidepiece.
Wonder if Egon ever got to straighten him out like he did that slinky..

(07-27-2021, 09:31 PM)bradito Wrote: Whoa, Goodfellas spoilers!!

Not like I said Henry turns rat, goes into witness protection then says fuck it and goes on the Howard Stern show to tell all the mobsters to go fuck themselves, then drinks himself to death. Classic Hollywood happy ending
I work two blocks from the Ghostbusters firehouse. See it all the time. My life is greatly enriched by this.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I live not far from the Ghostbusters 2016 Chinese Food Headquarters. See it all the time, too. I am both proud and embarassed.
make sure they never screw you over on wontons