Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
SUICIDE SQUAD II: (James Gunn, 20??), brought to you in glorious Technicolor by Boone
I'm so disappointed with how perfunctory this all feels. This is like Snakes on a Plane tryhard aggressive blandness.
(08-06-2021, 12:22 AM)bradito Wrote: I'm so disappointed with how perfunctory this all feels. This is like Snakes on a Plane tryhard aggressive blandness.

Some of it is indeed too 'tryhard' but enough of it lands effectively that I was entertained.  Contrast that with HOBBS AND SHAW which was 90% tryhard, resulting in an endurance test of a movie.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
I'm kind of impressed by how much I didn't like this. I really went in expecting a fun time but woof.
I had a great time myself. Another great example of a writer/director who gets the material and just runs with it. Absolutely glorious fun.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(08-06-2021, 12:22 AM)bradito Wrote: I'm so disappointed with how perfunctory this all feels. This is like Snakes on a Plane tryhard aggressive blandness.

Completely agreed. There are moments of actual joy but they're the exception rather than the rule.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(08-06-2021, 12:07 AM)serpico jones Wrote: It’s certainly better than the second Guardians.

This is very slight praise. 

I am now worried.

You can stop worrying. You’ll not like it.
(08-06-2021, 08:01 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: You can stop worrying. You’ll not like it.

Yeah, it's a lot fun and a woman kicks too much ass in it!

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
(08-06-2021, 06:51 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 12:07 AM)serpico jones Wrote: It’s certainly better than the second Guardians.

I am now worried.

It's better than the GotG movies.
(08-06-2021, 06:51 PM)Overlord Wrote:

I am now worried.

The second Guardians is great and overhated.
The Guardians movies are kinda one-and-done for me. The whole joke is that they're also-rans, and boy, they sure are.

I liked 'em better in Infinity War!
The first GotG holds up reasonably well, though I'd like it more if it were more detached from the Disneymarvelfilm Ltd. Official Corporate Brand Identity Shared Cinevisionstreaming Media Universe and more just the trashy '70s junker sci-fi flick it's so good at being. (I commend Gunn for not sitting us down for massive, extended expodumps and flashbacks, but...who are the Krill, who is this "Ronin" guy, what's a "Xander" and why does he hate it, other than that we needed a bad guy and he once existed in some comics somewhere? Having your villain barely show up and hardly bothering to explain him didn't work particularly well when The Last Starfighter did it, James.) The second has good bits, but never finds its focus and gets completely lost during the finale.
The first Guardians remains the best Marvel movie.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(08-06-2021, 09:47 PM)Paul755 Wrote: The first Guardians remains the best Marvel movie.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
I don’t really know which thread we’re supposed to be using at this point, but since my thoughts are spoiler-free, they’re going in here, I guess.

Threatens to enter “too much of a good thing” territory, but ultimately restrains itself just enough to not fly completely off the rails.  There is great fun in seeing countless bodies (human and otherwise) comically and grotesquely eviscerated, the group interplay generates some entertaining beats, and James Gunn’s Troma background being felt, even modestly, in a big studio release is a good thing... but there is also no escaping (for me) the feeling that this is sometimes trying way too hard to be shocking and/or gross.  Personal mileage will vary.  

It also flirts with a too-flippant sort of quality, but there’s also just enough of a splash of earnestness to temper that before it can become obnoxious; it doesn’t come close to recapturing the heart of Gunn’s GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movies, but there are some moments that are genuinely quite sweet floating in the sea of weirdo insanity.  

The pacing moves in fits and starts, with some digressions that stop things pretty cold at a few points, and its stabs at political commentary are both rather tired and kind of muddled, but the highs are certainly high enough to overlook that sort of stuff.  And if nothing else, this is easily the best usage of Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn out of the three movies she’s appeared in so far, so that’s a major feather in its cap.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
(08-06-2021, 09:47 PM)Paul755 Wrote: The first Guardians remains the best Marvel movie.

It is not the best but it's actually much better than it's often given credit for, thanks to a mostly breezy tone and the wonderful, seemingly effortless chemistry of the cast. Gunn does some nice work commenting on trauma and grief in the first Guardians movie, without ever becoming heavy-handed or depressing.

GOTG2 has similarly high-minded themes in mind but is, IMNSHO, less successful in executing them in narrative form.

Gunn's SUICIDE SQUAD is between the two, though I'd place it closer to GOTG2 in terms of successful execution.

ETA: Belloq's nonspoiler summary above is pretty spot on, I think.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(08-06-2021, 09:57 PM)headless fett Wrote:

Yeah…it really is.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
...  I'm kind of afraid to ask this, but what do people here think the best Marvel movie is...?

I see a few possible answers.

The Avengers

Guardians 1

Winter Soldier

MAYBE Infinity War?  MAYBE Iron Man 1?

What else qualifies for the top spot?
THE AVENGERS
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
DOCTOR STRANGE
AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

That would roughly be my Top 5.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
You forgot Ultron.
I ran one of those Bond-style, what-would-you-rather-watch algorithms on the MCU a couple times. IRON MAN always lands up top.

CAPTAIN MARVEL always ends up on the bottom...

Holy shit-- I just realized I hate women!
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Facing the truth is the first step in overcoming Michaeldom.
I'm apparently not super fond of James Spader-Bots either.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.

I'm not gonna put Captain Marvel at the top of any rankings, but it sure as shit ain't an empty, pointless nothing like Thor 2.
I mean Thor 2 had the fun portal thing.

I can't remember any fun thing in Marvel.
(08-06-2021, 11:06 PM)Paul755 Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 09:57 PM)headless fett Wrote:

Yeah…it really is.

...eeeeeeeh.  Boy if that's the case, doesn't speak well to the rest of the MCU, huh?
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Why? Guardians 1 is very excellent.
(08-07-2021, 03:01 AM)freeman Wrote: I mean Thor 2 had the fun portal thing.

I can't remember any fun thing in Marvel.
Again, I'm not placing it anywhere near the top, but at least I can remember what happened in it. Thor 2 was basically two and a half hours of white noise surrounding that bit with Loki clowning on Thor by imitating all his friends.
(08-07-2021, 09:54 AM)freeman Wrote: Why? Guardians 1 is very excellent.

"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
This was perhaps my favorite example of the "vanity thread title" trend popularized by many on this board.

I'll be sad when it drifts off the front page.

(08-07-2021, 02:02 AM)freeman Wrote: ...  I'm kind of afraid to ask this, but what do people here think the best Marvel movie is...?

I see a few possible answers.

The Avengers

Guardians 1

Winter Soldier

MAYBE Infinity War?  MAYBE Iron Man 1?

What else qualifies for the top spot?
Iron Man
Winter Soldier
GOTG
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Ragnarok
Infinity War 

...are all my picks. I'd go on about how much I adore the Ant-Man movies too (especially the first one) but in this context it'd be kinda dumb. But I really dig it a lot!

It’s easier to do a bottom 5

Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor Dark World
The Incredible Hulk
Captain Marvel

All the rest are varying degrees of Good to Great.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(08-07-2021, 02:02 AM)freeman Wrote: ...  I'm kind of afraid to ask this, but what do people here think the best Marvel movie is...?

Best non-Avengers movie: either Captain America: First Avenger or Captain America: Civil War. Other contenders, IMNSHO, are CA: Winter Soldier, Iron Man, or Dr Strange.

Best Avengers movie: Infinity War.

The best Avengers movie is Avengers 1.