Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
THE SUICIDE SQUAD POST RELEASE THREAD
(08-10-2021, 09:26 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: That whole thing with Ray Fisher really died down right after the Snyder Cut was made available.

I guess he's done

FIFY
Gunn should've had Cyborg in the movie!
(08-10-2021, 09:51 PM)bradito Wrote: Gunn should've had Cyborg in the movie!

Fisher: "Uh, James. I'm having a problem with this script."
Gunn: "What is it?"
Fisher: "You have me saying 'Booyah'."
"Oh yeah, well that's the catch phrase from the most popular iteration of the character that made him mega-popular and people just love it. So we've gotta give them that."

"... I have never heard such hateful racism in my entire life."
I'm surprised he didn't kick something new up with Hamada's name being prominently in the opening credits of SUICIDE SQUAD
I guess the cold dead silence of his phone has convinced Ray that maybe it's time to move on to something more productive and fulfilling...

...like real estate!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I hear you only have to take a simple test to get into it Ray!
(08-10-2021, 07:48 PM)schwartz Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 05:57 PM)simbob Wrote: If we're saying all these Marvel and DC movies are superhero because they're based on comic books, then sure, why not the '70s Tales from the Crypt movie too? What happens in that anthology movie? You see a bunch of stories about bad people who are ultimately punished by the Crypt Keeper at the end. You could even say it's more superhero than most superhero movies because he's getting random criminal as opposed to people attacking him. Now I'm not say that Tales from the Crypt movie from '72 is a superhero movie, but if we're playing what is one as loose as we are, why not?

Jesus fucking Christ.

We are not saying that all movies based on comic books are superhero movies.  I pointed out that this was a movie made by DC Studios, based on characters from DC superhero comics.

And I'm not really a TALES FROM THE CRYPT aficionado, but I'm pretty sure that the Crypt Keeper doesn't participate in the stories himself.  Doesn't he just do his own little solo Chris Hardwick after-show when the stories are over?

In the '72 movie he does interact with all the victims in the wraparound story, he isn't the one that kills them, but he does punish them after their death.

I didn't say you're saying all comic book movies are superhero movies, I said you're saying all Marvel and DC movies based on comics are superhero movies. And you are saying this, and the thinking seems to go about as far as: Well, they're superheroes in the comics so of course they're superheroes in the movies. The thing is the superhero versions of these characters (and in the comics neither Blade or the supervillains of the Suicide Squad sent on Dirty Dozen/Mission: Impossible government missions are superheroes) in the comics are played very differently then the movies. At least as far as Marvel goes, DC actually does have their heroes doing regular superhero crime fighting and saving random people from harm in the movie; now DC heroes do kill in the movies sometimes, which isn't something they'd do in the comics, (most of the time anyways) but the MCU characters do this too because they're operating under action movie hero rules (and killing has never been some big thing for action movie heroes) as opposed to comic book superhero rules...for the most part. MCU Spider-Man does do normal comic book superhero stuff, he is a MCU character that is a superhero, likewise Netflix Daredevil was the first time a MCU character got played like a superhero.

Quote:
(08-09-2021, 09:29 AM)schwartz Wrote: Blade and Robocop, not to mention Iron Man, are definitely superhero movies. You complete lunatic.

Quote:If Blade is a superhero movie then so is Bram Stoker's Dracula, and John Carpenter's Vampires, and just about any vampire hunter movie you can think of. Moster Squad, actually a superhero movie. Lost Boys, turns out it was a superhero movie. Scream Blacula Scream, superhero movie. Let's extend that to just fighting monsters in general. Nightmare on Elm Street is a superhero series, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are superhero movies, Dead Snow 2, Dead Heat, Mandy, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Cemetery Man, From Dusk till Dawn, I Saw the Devil, Species, The Mummy, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Predator, Teeth, Dreamscape, Scanners, The Cell, Nightbreed, Ichi the Killer, Gantz: O, and Omega Man are all actually superhero movies.

No.  No to all of this.  Well, I dunno, it's arguable that stuff like BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF, ICHI and maybe even MANDY are forms of superhero movie.  But Blade is not a superhero because of the vampires.  He's a superhero because he has superpowers and fights capital-E Evil.

If simply having powers and fighting vampires makes Blade a superhero then how can you say no, no to all of that? Monster Squad had a Frankenstein, how are they not a superhero team by this logic? Ash is sometimes a skilled fighter with either a chainsaw hand or mechanical hand and he fights evil, how is he not a superhero then? The Nightmare on Elm Street movies have people fighting Freddy in and out of the dreamworld, and sometime they have powers. The girl in Teeth has powers and kills badguys. I Saw the Devil is a costume away from being a R rated Batman movie. Also a superhero needs powers? What about Batman?

Lots of vampire hunters have some kind of power, does that make all vampire hunters with powers superheroes?

If Marvel put out a movie exactly like The Cell where some genius doctor character development a manchine that let them enter someone's mind, and it played out exactly like The Cell does I'm sure when I said it wasn't a superhero movie you'd say I was nuts for saying that. Marvel's The Cell not a superhero movie? She goes into someone's mind and fights a supervillain, the idea it's not a superhero movie is crazy, you're crazy. But it wasn't based on a comic, and it isn't a Marvel or DC thing so you don't think of it as a superhero movie. Take Guardians of the Galaxy. People will say GotG is a superhero movie simply because it's a Marvel movie, but it's completely indistinguishable from sci-fi adventure movies like Star Wars, Flash Gordon, John Carter, and Message from Space. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't even have the veneer of being a superhero movie like most of the first wave MCU characters either, (and a veneer is all they have) since they doesn't have superhero style costumes.

Quote:
Quote:How is Iron Man a superhero movie? Articulate it. Not the comic book it's based on, but the movie. We're talking about the movies. Is it because he builds power armor? Does that mean everything with power armor is a superhero thing? Is it because of his actions? What does Iron Man do in the first movie? He gets revenge on the people that were going to kill him and kills them. Is that a big superhero thing? Are all revenge movies that have some kind of genre twist on them now superhero movies? Would Death Wish become a superhero series if you gave Bronson a sci-fi gun? Is Starship Troopers actually a superhero book? Are Looker and Videodrome really superhero movies?

IRON MAN is a superhero movie because it is about a guy with superhuman powers/skills, a unique colorful costume and codename for the alter-ego he creates to exercise those powers.  That's all superhero stuff. 

Also, he goes to Afghanistan to kill a bunch of terrrorists who did not try to kill him in the middle of the movie.  Just because fighting Evil and all.

Forgetting that killing isn't exactly a superhero thing, (that no kill rule was kind of a universal superhero thing in the comics) Iron Man goes to Afghanistan to kill the group that kidnapped him. Those terrorist you're talking about were the same Ten Rings group that kidnapped him at the start of the movie, he spots their leader on tv, then he goes over there and kills a bunch of them.

Iron Man also does not have an alter-ego in the movies. Remember how he announced he was Iron Man at the end of the movie?

Is Emily Blunt a superhero in Edge of Tomorrow? She has powers, she has power armor, they call her the Full Metal Bitch so she's got a cool codename too.
If Batman is a superhero, Kevin from Home Alone probably is, too.
God damn, simbob is just fucking stupid. Full stop. Either the dumbest human being alive or the second dumbest.
(08-11-2021, 12:54 AM)bradito Wrote: God damn, simbob is just fucking stupid. Full stop. Either the dumbest human being alive or the second dumbest.

Well you're still alive so I can't be the dumbest person alive.
Leave I Saw The Devil out of this horseshit, please.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Hahahah the Specter of Kate
(08-11-2021, 01:03 AM)the nz natural Wrote: Leave I Saw The Devil out of this horseshit, please.

It's a very comic book movie. Highly skilled government agent goes rogue to track down a killer that may as will be right out of Gotham City. It could easily be a Batman movie, almost feels like Batman without Batman.
I mean, think about it:
  • Childhood abandonment trauma.
  • Only "power" as such is creative use of tools and traps he happens to own.
  • Improbably comes out on top of encounters with criminals who should be able to overpower him in terms of numbers/sheer physicality.
I rest my case.
(08-11-2021, 01:20 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: I mean, think about it:
  • Childhood abandonment trauma.
  • Only "power" as such is creative use of tools and traps he happens to own.
  • Improbably comes out on top of encounters with criminals who should be able to overpower him in terms of numbers/sheer physicality.
I rest my case.

You don't have to make fun of what Bradito laid out as what makes a character a superhero like that.

For Kevin to be a superhero he'd have to follow up his experience in Home Alone by Home Aloneing other homes or places that were going to be robbed. That's his superhero gimmick. He prowls the night looking for people casing houses or banks or whatever, then the night the criminals are going to break in he has the place booby trapped to stop them.
(08-11-2021, 12:54 AM)bradito Wrote: God damn, simbob is just fucking stupid. Full stop. Either the dumbest human being alive or the second dumbest.

These days, when it comes to separating the willful ignorance from the real deal, I tend to use an "everybody gets one" philosophy, which means I finally got to use that ignore list everyone keeps talking about.

As to the movie, having had a little time to stew on it I think I'd much preferred they'd just made it DC's version of Team America. Since the odds of them getting to do something as genuinely disturbing as The Boys was slim to nill, take it broad and lean into the tone that made stuff like the rebel gag work so well. Hell, you wouldn't even have to change anything, just keep the exact same structure and move the bit about Starro being a US project to an end of movie reveal to which the characters are oblivious. None of the more human elements really hold up to any scrutiny (Rick Flag probably being the key offender), so I'd much prefer a bunch of blow-hard idiots "saving the day" by making things much worse be the actual joke rather than the awkward reality the movie kind of wants us to ignore.
(08-11-2021, 01:32 AM)simbob Wrote: For Kevin to be a superhero he'd have to follow up his experience in Home Alone by Home Aloneing other homes or places that were going to be robbed. That's his superhero gimmick. He prowls the night looking for people casing houses or banks or whatever, then the night the criminals are going to break in he has the place booby trapped to stop them.
Well, I mean, he already did the toy store in New York. Who knows what kind of career he went on to that we never got to see?
This recently came up on YouTube and I did find it kind of funny how similar parts of it were with this movie.

The rats worked better than the seahorses.
(08-09-2021, 07:58 PM)Paul755 Wrote: **insert Grandpa Simpson walking in then out .gif**
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(08-11-2021, 01:44 AM)Paul755 Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 07:58 PM)Paul755 Wrote: **insert Grandpa Simpson walking in then out .gif**
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
I watched this. It was okay. Thank you.
(08-11-2021, 10:37 AM)Misfit Wrote: I watched this. It was okay. Thank you.

Hey...

good for you. Smile
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Feels like things are really going my way, you know?

Also, this feels like a good place to share Jackee Harry being horny for Idris Elba:

https://twitter.com/jackeeharry/status/1...48290?s=21
(08-10-2021, 10:37 PM)headless fett Wrote: I guess the cold dead silence of his phone has convinced Ray that maybe it's time to move on to something more productive and fulfilling...

...like real estate!

Probably working at the same coffee shop as Faraci.

The real ending to Big...
Arabica is better than Espresso
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
You'd just get Doom Patrol Cyborg anyways.
I was happy, floating through Trouble City, looking at the CHUDs.
Git' in under mah belly!
(08-11-2021, 11:24 AM)Misfit Wrote: Feels like things are really going my way, you know?

Also, this feels like a good place to share Jackee Harry being horny for Idris Elba:

https://twitter.com/jackeeharry/status/1...48290?s=21

My girlfriend outright told me she'd leave me for Idris Elba...so I get the sentiment.

Man is a hunky chunk of meat.
You should leave her for Idris Elba and make her jealous!
Let's be honest here, Idris makes us all at least a little bit moist.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
I'd leave Idris for ska's gf.

Probably..

Those doggone superheroes and their unobtainable body standards.

I love the Weasel noises.
Loved everything about this film. Everything.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!