Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Republican Party Going Forward v 2.0
I mean the best thing is they probably actually don't. LIke guys like Mitch McConnel, Nikki Haley, and even McCarthy more than likely hate the fucker, but can't do anything because this is what the base is now. Hence why McConnell has been virtually silent. Haley makes the odd comment every now and then to remind the morons to vote for her. It's McCarthy who is in a fucked situation since he's the current face of the Republican party. Which he has to go in public and humiliate himself for the brand.

My only hope that these assholes have enough self awareness that it kills him everytime they bend over for Trump.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Republicans don't have self-awareness, tho.
Why so quiet, guys?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...d=msedgntp

Quote:Despite celebrating by Texas Republicans over the state's stringent, new anti-abortion law, Texas' two Republican senators, Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, have not offered personal commentary about it on Twitter.

Cornyn and Cruz are the first- and third-most prolific Twitter users among Republicans in the national Congress, according to an April 2021 analysis of each federal Congress member's Twitter use. In the first three months of 2021, Cornyn tweeted 2,200 times and Cruz tweeted 800 times,

But on September 1, the day the Texas law went into effect, and the following one, Cruz didn't mention the law on Twitter, despite tweeting 19 times. He personally authored seven of the tweets during that period. His other 12 were retweets.

Comparatively, Cornyn tweeted 49 times since September 1. He personally authored 33 of his tweets. The other 16 were retweets. Only two of those retweets mentioned the Texas law.
Well, of course, she did:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/kri...d=msedgntp

Quote:South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem seems to have found the perfect use of state prison labor: building a $9,000 black walnut wood desk—and then getting a discount.

That’s the claim at the center of a Dakota News Now investigation, one that finds Noem’s support of the South Dakota State Penitentiary at odds with the work asked of Pheasantland Industries, the prison’s workshop.

After an initial inquiry last year, Noem commissioned an 80-inch long, 3-foot wide Black Walnut desk in April from Pheasantland, which allows inmates to learn a trade for 50 cents an hour. The order, which came from the governor’s office, asked for basic desk cutouts.

Then Noem wanted changes, according to unnamed corrections sources cited by Dakota News Now. She ordered an expansion from 80 inches to more than 100 to accommodate another person, forcing the desk to be redesigned. She later asked for other features, such as brass embossing, a state map on the top, a footrest, and a gun holder.
Remember when they told you in school that slavery was over, and you kind of believed them... but later you learned about prison labor?
(09-04-2021, 10:13 PM)Iron Maiden Wrote: She later asked for other features, such as brass embossing, a state map on the top, a footrest, and a gun holder.

Whut? Why?
If vaccines came with gun holders, Republicans might start lining up.
(09-04-2021, 10:45 PM)bradito Wrote: Remember when they told you in school that slavery was over, and you kind of believed them... but later you learned about prison labor?

Ah but these prisoners serving 20 year sentences should have thought of that *before* they were caught walking down the street carrying an ounce of weed (and also being Black).
I'm noticing even conservative women I know are quite outraged by the SCOTUS decision:

Quote:President Joe Biden and Democrats are using the outcry over the new Texas abortion law to distract from other issues including Afghanistan, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., said Sunday.

"(The Supreme Court's decision) had nothing to do with the constitutionality of Roe v. Wade, it was only on if the plaintiffs had standing, people are using it to gin up their base to distract from disastrous policies in Afghanistan, maybe for fundraising appeals," Cassidy told ABC "This Week" anchor George Stephanopoulos. "I wish we'd focus on issues as opposed to -- as opposed to theater."

The severe new abortion law in Texas bans nearly all abortions in the state. The law makes most abortions illegal after six weeks of pregnancy and encourages anyone to sue a person they believe is providing an abortion or assisting someone in getting an abortion after six weeks.

Cassidy, who called himself "pro-life," said the Supreme Court will "swat it away" once the law reaches them "in an appropriate manner."

"If it is as terrible as people say it is, it will be destroyed by the Supreme Court," Cassidy added. "But to act like this is an assault upon Roe v. Wade is, again, something the president is doing I think to distract from his other issues."
But the Supreme Court didn't "swat it away" already, Billy Boy. So what other lies have you got?
Yes, Gov. Abbott, women know immediately when they're pregnant.  That's how it works.  You nailed it.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/14...5856979976

Quote:Reporter: Why force a rape or incest victim to carry a pregnancy to term?

Gov. Greg Abbott (R-TX): "It doesn't require that at all, because obviously it provides at least 6 weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion."

Video at the link.
I guess the idea is that women are supposed to get an abortion every time they have sex as a precautionary measure?
Speaking of Abbott, the day has come:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-governo...53999.html

Quote:Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed an elections overhaul into law Tuesday that adds more voting restrictions in the booming state, after Democrats spent months protesting what they say are efforts to weaken minority turnout and preserve the GOP's eroding dominance.

Abbott signed the sweeping changes during a ceremony in the East Texas city of Tyler, where the surrounding county went for former President Donald Trump by a more than 2-to-1 margin last year. But it was far closer in Texas overall, with Trump carrying the state by 5 1/2 points, the thinnest margin of victory by a GOP presidential nominee here in decades.

The bill signing again underlined the hard right turn Texas Republicans made this year, including a new state law that took effect last week banning most abortions. Abbott said he chose Tyler because it was home to the voting bill's main author, Republican Sen. Bryan Hughes, who also authored the new abortion restrictions.
Oh, good, the "real America" stuff is back:

https://twitter.com/Jim_Jordan/status/14...5757713415

Quote:Real America is done with #COVID19. God bless!
Good luck with that:

Quote:The Federal Election Commission (FEC) has asked Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) for more information about $3.5 million in contributions to her re-election campaign.

In two filings posted to the FEC website on Monday and surfaced on Twitter by Georgia Public Broadcasting reporter Stephen Fowler on Tuesday, the congresswoman's husband Perry Greene—her campaign treasurer— was asked to provide additional details about donations the campaign received during the first two quarters of 2021.

Between January and March, the Greene campaign received $2,558,631.61 in unitemized donations from undisclosed donors, while the campaign received another $967,045.73 in unitemized donations between April and June. The campaign reported a total of more than $4.5 million in donations during the same time period.
This response...

https://twitter.com/samswey/status/1435508021799489543

Quote:Two-thirds of all police officers who’ve died in Florida this year have died from Covid. This Governor’s policies have directly contributed to that.

...to this DeSantis tweet:

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/statu...8748457985

Quote:In Florida – we back the blue.
Republicans did better with minorities in 2020 than in quite some time, but Rep. Crenshaw still thinks they're a monolithic voting group.

Here's his response to President Biden directing the Department of Labor to develop a rule requiring employers with 100 or more employees to get their workforces vaccinated or have them get weekly tests:

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status...9565583364

Quote:Are you people trying to start a full on revolt? Honestly what the hell is wrong with Democrats? Leave people the hell alone. This is insanity.

Mandates are cheap governance. The right path is built upon explaining, educating, and *building* trust, including explaining the risks/benefits/pros/cons in an honest way so a person can make their own decision. 

The Biden Administration has completely failed in that regard.

Our founders designed a system that treated citizens as more than just children. Our grand experiment is designed for a free people. Yes, that entails risk. Yes, I’ll take risk and freedom over a paternalistic government any day.

And it should be noted, a huge portion of the unvaccinated are younger minorities. So this impacts a broad range of people, not just “anti-vaxxer Trump supporters,” as Dems believe. 

Democrats are declaring war on everyone, not just conservatives.
Some key tweets on Republicans' reactions to Biden's vaccine mandate, including one that specifically responds to Rep. Crenshaw:

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status...8961567750

Quote:I was wondering how Republicans were going to thread the "fining businesses that don't require vaccines is gov't tyranny" needle after they've tried fining businesses that required vaccines, but they did it the way they do everything now: with an appeal to emotion and violence

And:

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/143...4102677510

Quote:16 cases of alleged voter fraud out of 160 million votes in 2020: let's pass 400 new voter suppression laws! 

650,000 deaths from COVID: how dare the government mandate vaccines!
Blocked:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/federa...2L?ocid=st

Quote:A federal judge on Thursday blocked Florida's "anti-riot" law, which Gov. Ron DeSantis pushed as a way to curb violent demonstrations in the state.

Northern Florida District Judge Mark Walker said the order binds Florida's agents, employees, and attorneys, court documents show, and blocked enforcement of the law under the definition of the word "riot."

The state defines a "riot" in the law as three or more people participating in a violent public disturbance that causes property damage or injury to someone, according to court documents. The Dream Defenders, a coalition that advocates for the abolition of police and jails, sued the state arguing that its new definition of a "riot" was too vague.

The Freedom Defenders said in the lawsuit that the law was too vague because it did not clarify whether people taking part in a peaceful protest that turned violent could face charges, and Walker agreed. Walker said in the ruling that the state's definition of a riot could lead to innocent people being prosecuted.
This should get blocked too:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-...d=msedgntp

Quote:Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ® on Thursday signed a bill that would prohibit large tech companies from blocking or restricting people or their posts based on their viewpoint, setting the stage for a legal battle with the tech industry.

The law applies to social media companies with more than 50 million monthly active users in the United States, including Facebook, Twitter and Google’s YouTube, and requires them to create reports on any illegal or potentially policy-violating content, as well as build a complaint system, where people could challenge companies’ decisions to remove content or flag illegal activity. Individuals and the state attorney general could file lawsuits if they believe that the tech companies wrongfully banned them from their platforms.

“It is now law that conservative viewpoints in Texas cannot be banned on social media,” Abbott said. Conservatives have long claimed without evidence that Silicon Valley social media companies are censoring them based on their political affiliation. The companies deny those accusations.

Abbott’s signature follows a similar effort in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis ® signed a law that would bar social media companies from suspending political candidates in the run-up to elections, and make it easier for the Florida state attorney general and individuals to bring lawsuits when they think tech companies have acted unfairly. A federal judge in June blocked that law from taking effect, suggesting it would be found unconstitutional after tech industry groups brought a challenge. DeSantis’s administration appealed the judge’s ruling.

Tech industry groups have criticized the Texas law, and the industry is likely to bring a similar challenge in the Lone Star State to prevent it from taking effect.
Imagine having "viewpoints" so shitty that you have to pass laws to defend your right to be a recalcitrant racist piece of conspiracy-loving shit on the Internet.

Maybe just do better as a person.
Abbott's got more!

Here's a great read on Abbott winning the gubernatorial race to the bottom, outshining others like Govs. DeSantis and Noem:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/greg-abbot...itter_page

Quote:That’s madness, as is House Bill 1927, which also went into effect on Sept. 1 and reads as if it was written by Wayne LaPierre with a gold Montblanc pen he expensed to the NRA along with those suits and the private plane trips. The bill “allows Texans ages 21 and older to carry handguns without training or a license”—effectively replacing the state’s ridiculously permissive gun laws with flat-out permitless carry of open or concealed handguns. No training, no background checks, no nothing.

Then there’s Texas’ answer to the New York Times’ 1619 Project, the 1836 Project that aims to promote “patriotic education.” Basically, they’re whitewashing history, worried that some child might stumble on what actually happened in America’s past. “To keep Texas the best state in the United States of America,” Abbott said in a video to promote the law, “we must never forget why Texas became so exceptional in the first place.” Or learn too much about that, apparently.

There’s also a stupid law called “Star Spangled Banner Protection Act” that lets Texas pull funding from state-funded sports teams that don’t play the national anthem before games. That particular bill is there to help Lieutenant Gov. Dan Patrick troll Mark Cuban, who stopped playing the national anthem before Dallas Mavericks’ home games. Did I mention that these Texas Republicans are both petty and stupid?

Finally, there’s SB1, the voting law based on Trump’s “big lie” that seeks to keep Republicans and their ever shrinking white minority in power. According to the Texas Tribune, the bill splits the baby by “increasing early voting hours in smaller, mostly Republican counties” even as it otherwise “restricts how and when voters cast ballots, specifically targeting voting initiatives used by diverse, Democratic Harris County, the state’s most populous, by banning overnight early voting hours and drive-thru voting—both of which proved popular among voters of color last year.”
The "Star-Spangled Banner Act?" What the fuck? I'm not a sports person, so maybe I never will understand why you have to sing a song about America before sportsball begins. I mean, imagine if they did that before a movie. Or a stand up comedy show. Or a hot dog eating contest. Do we need to crow about how awesome America is before doing anything, really?

It's just performative patriotism. It doesn't make anyone a better American, clearly.
I am a sportsball person, to a degree, and I can tell you it's an antiquated, bizarre, and WHOLLY performative exercise at this point. And if the fans of performative patriotism had their way, the anthem would absolutely play before and after every public event, and on every media source at 6am and 10pm every day. I'd be willing to wager a tidy sum that there is some version of this legislation floating around numerous state house committee rooms as I type this.
thank god I don't watch sportsball.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Quote:“To keep Texas the best state in the United States of America,” Abbott said in a video to promote the law, “we must never forget why Texas became so exceptional in the first place.”

Not being able to cut it as your own country and crawling back to the United States?

And yeah, I don't understand the need to venerate a game with the national anthem.  Hell, they sing it before the 5k races I do here.

When we went to the race at Daytona, I caught some flack for not taking my hat off during the song.  First, it's a flag and a song, they can't get offended.  Two, I was standing quietly and respectfully, which is more than I can say for the crowd whooping and hollering for every high note the singer hit.
Just this guy, you know?
It’s one thing if everything at a stadium stopped during the anthem but it doesn’t. Guys still use that time to run and take a quick piss, buy another beer, finish paying for that new hat/t-shirt for their kid, etc…

I’m just surprised they didn’t add in making them have to play some pro-Texas song too.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
(09-10-2021, 11:12 AM)Paul755 Wrote: Guys still use that time to run and take a quick piss, buy another beer, finish paying for that new hat/t-shirt for their kid, etc…

lol these are the same people getting all chuffed about Black athletes taking a knee.

"They should show some respect" I say, 4 beers deep, squeezing my way to the disgusting urinal trough during the national anthem so I don't miss kickoff.
Well, at the very least, you should take your hat off and put your hand over your heart as you drain the lizard into the urinal trough.
If you say so:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1436391751128846339

Quote:Sen. Joni Ernst claims Biden's new vaccine plan is a "diversion away from 9/11"

Video at the link.
What's he supposed to do about 9/11? Go back in time like the Avengers and try and stop it?
(09-10-2021, 03:44 PM)bradito Wrote: What's he supposed to do about 9/11? Go back in time like the Avengers and try and stop it?

Don't be silly.  He can't go back in time like the Avengers to stop 9/11, because the Avengers didn't go back in time to stop Thanos from snapping, they went back in time to collect intact infinity stones in order to bring them back to the present in order to perform a snap of their own such that everyone that was dusted in the original snap would return contemporaneously, having just taken a 5 year time out.

Biden is supposed to go back in time to stop 9/11 more like the Flash.
I hate that I understand and agree with all of that.

I need to watch "Endgame" again.
I mean…old Cap does look like Biden.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt