Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norm Macdonald
(11-24-2020, 03:40 PM)subotai Wrote: Is Norm going to appear on Conan's show before the end? Seems less and less likely.

He damned well better. I have to assume his absence these last four years has been his doing rather than a lack of invitations. Maybe he prefers to go on talk shows only when he has material to try or a project to promote, but heck, he made an exception to help out Spade.
(11-24-2020, 03:56 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Think the current Conan show goes until next June. I'll hold out hope for a final Norm appearance. A Norm appearance anywhere would be fine, too.

Nothing from Norm, but Egret's been hinting more and more on social media that something is in the works.  Not on Conan, but a return to a show, hopefully.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

For old time's sake:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/...-1/2870476

I think that five original NML guests have passed away.
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

David Spade was the guest on Conan's podcast this week, containing a good Norm story.
Sounds like Adam Egret is headed to Austin to open a comedy joint with Joe Rogan. TBH going from working with Norm to working with Rogan and his comedy crew is like going from Joe DiMaggio to the Bad News Bears, but I have no idea what Norm has going on. Maybe Rogan gave Eget an offer he couldn’t refuse, or maybe Egret saw that there were no big projects with Norm on the horizon. Who knows..bottom line I will miss him with Norm.

Norm did offer up this tweet a few days ago in response to a compliment on his book:

Quote:thank you so much. I'm very proud of the book and am presently working on my second.
Yeah, I remember he was working on number two. Ah well.

Love how he just refers to Artie Lange as the Fat Guy

Norm headed to New York for shows in November as part of the New York Comedy Festival:

https://deadline.com/2021/08/new-york-co...234815541/
Good names. Wish I could cross the border

Perfect
Jesus.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-macdon...234833212/
Just heard about this. Dammit.

RIP Norm.
Really sorry to hear that.
Note to self: Today sucks
"The only thing an old man can tell a young man is that it goes fast, real fast, and if you're not careful it's too late. Of course, the young man will never understand this truth."

From Conan:

https://twitter.com/ConanOBrien/status/1...1980808192

Quote:I am absolutely devastated about Norm Macdonald. Norm had the most unique comedic voice I have ever encountered and he was so relentlessly and uncompromisingly funny. I will never laugh that hard again. I'm so sad for all of us today.

And as hard to contemplate as it is, here's a reaction from Bob Dole:

https://twitter.com/SenatorDole/status/1...4106332169

Quote:“Norm
@normmacdonald
was a great talent, and I loved laughing with him on SNL. *Bob Dole* will miss Norm Macdonald.”
Heartsick. I loved that man.
https://twitter.com/SenatorDole/status/1...4106332169
Quote:“Norm
@normmacdonald
was a great talent, and I loved laughing with him on SNL. *Bob Dole* will miss Norm Macdonald.”

ok that got me
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Fuck! In the last few years he had started talking about religion and god more. I guess that all makes sense now. This fucking sucks.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
The worst thing is that because of how he died, the cancer gets to go fuck his wife.

RIP Norm.
Trying to think of another comedian who has given me more hours of joy than Norm over the years. Not sure there is one.

Even legends of comedy spoke of him and his talent with something approaching awe. One of my favourite things of all time was seeing Letterman - a legendary hero to so many comedians, and of course to Norm - tell Norm to his face how much admiration he had for Norm.

I remember Stern saying that when he was down he would dial up clips of Norm and it would make him feel better. That was Norm for me too. Norm was medicine. Thank the gods we live in an age in which (1) Norm existed with us and (2) his magnificence is only ever a click on a YouTube link away.
(09-14-2021, 05:59 PM)Bucho Wrote: Even legends of comedy spoke of him and his talent with something approaching awe. 

Not just them, but me, too.

(09-14-2021, 06:01 PM)Overlord Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 05:59 PM)Bucho Wrote: Even legends of comedy spoke of him and his talent with something approaching awe. 

Not just them, but me, too.

I include you with them.
There were certainly times in he last 10 years where he looked like hell, but most people who travel the country doing comedy look like hell so nothing registered with me. He was pretty active right after the pandemic hit but soon after went radio silent by in large. Guess that was fitting because comedy in general has gone radio silent for a while.

Listening to his old appearance on Maron's podcast now. Lots of laughs on it but also the best interview in terms of just learning about him:

Or if you’re busy and just want the best 30 seconds from it:

(09-14-2021, 05:59 PM)Bucho Wrote: Even legends of comedy spoke of him and his talent with something approaching awe. One of my favourite things of all time was seeing Letterman - a legendary hero to so many comedians, and of course to Norm - tell Norm to his face how much admiration he had for Norm.

I still remember Norm's stand-up during Dave's final week on the Late Show, very emotional & poignant.

RIP Norm.  I'm sorry if I creeped you out that time at the Beverly Connection when I recognized you during shopping and just stared.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Thinking about the one time I saw him live. He had a cigarette and a lighter that he kept fidgeting with. He never actually lit it, but he came so close a few times that it became a running joke. He also went way over time, which was fine by me, and when we got out the line for the late show was wrapped around the building.

This just sucks. Letterman said some really nice things on Twitter. That’s how you know how much reverence Dave had for him, he had to figure out who has the keys to his Twitter and get them to tweet it out.
Bob Dole is still alive?? Had no idea. Google says he's 98.

Damn, I didn't know that was how Farnsworth pulled the ripcord.
I have been recently advocating for my wife to watch THE STRAIGHT STORY... I didn't realize how much that movie (and specifically Farnsworth) resonated with him.
Yeah. As much as it seems like the opposite of what he would've wanted, I'm finding it pretty much impossible not to re-evaluate the last ten years of his work in light of what he was going through. 

I'm grateful that I got to see Norm live two years ago. He really delivered, but I remember thinking that he looked unwell. Not simply older or haggard, but unwell. This is the only footage I've seen that is accurate to what I saw that night:

Definitely going to have to check out THE STRAIGHT STORY on Norm's recommendation. "David Lynch directs Disney" might have been enough to sell me on it were I ever aware of its existence.

Norm's older brother Neil, a journalist, wrote a good piece when BASED ON A TRUE STORY came out. There are a few quotes from him on Norm's passing here as well.
(09-14-2021, 08:44 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: Bob Dole is still alive?? Had no idea. Google says he's 98.

Wait till you find out Henry Kissinger is still around.

So many of the tributes out there are self-aggrandizing bullshit.  Saget's is one of the few which really reaches a state of grace.