Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norm Macdonald
That one was wonderful. 

Artie shared some thoughts and stories:

That Saget podcast is incredible.

Conan's podcast is good, although Andy Richter comes off as an annoying scold a couple of times.
I infer that Andy's perspective is colored by having to deal with Norm fans who would basically tweet "hurr durr Swedish German" at him a hundred times a day. As usual, asshole fans ruin everything. Despite feeling the need to air his hang-ups for a few minutes, he does go right back to fawning over Norm, so I got the impression he ultimately loved the man. Plus, whenever I re-watch Norm's appearances Andy does seem to be genuinely having a ball most of the time, particularly the last appearance when Norm was doing his Rodney Dangerfield bit. 

I wonder if Andy is aware that most of the jokes that Norm would make at Andy's expense were in the category of ancient "street jokes" he had a mental Rolodex of that he would just plug Andy's name into in the spirit of shitting on the sidekick. For example here's Norm doing the old prospector joke with a different victim's name.

Andy is an annoying scold. Carrot Top of all people comes off better than he does.

Little annoyed that Conan looks to be parcelling each Norm clip from the past 25 years separately. He's under no obligation to package them as some sort of tribute the way others have done, but the only benefit I can think of is more clicks.

This Globe and Mail article has a little more insight into Norm's life, maybe because so many of Norm's relatives were in Canadian journalism. Maybe worth the read

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/a...up-comedy/
"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

Rolling Stone recently published an interview that Norm gave while promoting his Netflix show but which was sat on "because of the hot water bubbling up around him at the time" (fucking idiotic). This is an aspect of Norm's background that strikes me as key:

Quote:My father had me when he was 58. He went through the Depression and all this stuff, and all of his friends were old men. When I was young, I was steeped in this. I really liked old men and how they spoke, and I thought it was really funny how they told stories and the words they used, and I absorbed all that.

It's a bit reminiscent to me of how Rudy Ray Moore listened to old timers and street poets tell stories and jokes and basically built a persona around these verbal hand-me-downs, filtering them through his own peculiar brilliance and making something new.
That connection he had to an older generation was profoundly unique. Losing him is like losing a portal to references and turns of phrase that nobody else is capable of. Nobody else is out there looking to tell jokes about prospectors, or ones involving hatcheries, or will be doing impressions of Nixon answering Watergate questions from David Frost. He was our link to all that. That’s gone.
(09-19-2021, 12:55 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: That connection he had to an older generation was profoundly unique. Losing him is like losing a portal to references and turns of phrase that nobody else is capable of. Nobody else is out there looking to tell jokes about prospectors, or ones involving hatcheries, or will be doing impressions of Nixon answering Watergate questions from David Frost. He was our link to all that. That’s gone.

reminds me of John Swartzwelder's writing on the simpsons
(09-18-2021, 07:47 PM)subotai Wrote: Andy is an annoying scold.

He is.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
“We are not naming our son Norm in tribute to him.” — my wife, just not getting it.

Molt nailed it above. It was nice in an age where the culture is youth obsessed that a guy would make jokes about WWII and coal miners. And he was fucking funny, a concept lost on some of the comics who get a lot of praise now.
Your wife sounds like a real battle axe.
(09-19-2021, 06:43 PM)schwartz Wrote: Your wife sounds like a real battle axe.

She’s a real jerk.
(09-19-2021, 12:55 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: That connection he had to an older generation was profoundly unique. Losing him is like losing a portal to references and turns of phrase that nobody else is capable of. Nobody else is out there looking to tell jokes about prospectors, or ones involving hatcheries, or will be doing impressions of Nixon answering Watergate questions from David Frost. He was our link to all that. That’s gone.

Ever since watching the Letterman set, I've always thought about the phrase "no truck for the sentimental" and how that was eloquence from an older time.
That's how I feel about "the most toothsome dish in all gastronomy."
Well, I might just be an ol' chunk of coal here, but holy crow, that Norm feller was hotter'n a two dollar pistol.
We had Molt back on the show to talk about Norm Macdonald for an hour.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Had fun being on there! Even if it was under glum circumstances.

Here's that "Great Moments in Yankee History" sketch. Can't get enough of it:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/...an/2870475
They're rare to find but any interview where he "drops character" are absolutely fascinating and really reveal just how insightful and thoughtful he was.

I could listen to him talk about Letterman all day.
Video 

And here's the West Side Story sketch I mentioned.
(09-22-2021, 10:04 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: We had Molt back on the show to talk about Norm Macdonald for an hour.

HECK YES!!!

And eff me for not discovering this for four whole days!!!
Fun conversation.

Speaking of Norm's blue cards, my favourite has always been : "Say what you will about Elon Musk... But with his new plan to bring people to Mars, nobody is a more creative SERIAL KILLER"
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I loved the ep of course, I just wish it had been at least 3 hours.
While posting youtube clips is well and good, anyone can do it.  I have decided my tribute shall be to post excerpts from BASED ON A TRUE STORY, the greatest comic novel of the last decade.  

Norm's musings on the process of dying:

Quote:Death is a funny thing.  Not funny haha, like a Woody Allen film, but funny strange, like a Woody Allen marriage. When it's unexpected, death comes fast like a ravenous wolf and tears open your throat with a merciful fury.  But when it's expected, it comes along slow and patient like a snake, and the doctor tells you how far away it is and when, exactly it will be at your door.  And when it will be at the foot of your bed.  And when it will be on your flesh. It's all right there on their clipboards.
Definitely going to try this one out:

Quote:It seemed that every example I came up with not only hurt my argument but bolstered theirs.  But I saw a way out.

"Well, it takes a big man to admit he's wrong, and I admit I'm wrong, so I'm a big man.  A big, big man.  What about you two?  Are you wrong?"
Frank answered.  "No, Norm.  Fred and I are right."
"That's what I thought.  Which makes you both very small men. And I feel sorry for you."
Norm's death finally made me get to Based on a True Story, a hard copy of which had been sitting on my to-read pile for ages-- but I opted to buy the audiobook and listened to that a couple weeks ago. It's fucking great-- an absurdist masterpiece.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
I hear Dave Chapelle’s new special is dedicated to Norm, haven’t had a chance yet to watch it.

"Whose advice are you going to take in show business, Judd Apatow or me?" - Norm Macdonald

(10-05-2021, 08:05 PM)subotai Wrote: I hear Dave Chapelle’s new special is dedicated to Norm, haven’t had a chance yet to watch it yet.

Well that is fitting because he is really poking the cancellation bear.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Yeah. sorry to say after watching it it wasn’t his best stuff. At least he opened up with a bit about Asians getting the beats these days, Bobby Lee is the only other comic willing to go there.

(10-06-2021, 04:27 PM)subotai Wrote: Yeah. sorry to say after watching it it wasn’t his best stuff. At least he opened up with a bit about Asians getting the beats these days, Bobby Lee is the only other comic willing to go there.

Yeah funny how that slipped right out of the news.
Speaking of Bobby Lee, he and Andrew Santino talked a little about Norm and Dave...

Artie Lange’s podcast returns on Monday with Bob Saget. Hoping for a lot of great Norm stories, maybe some new ones.