Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel's WHAT IF on Disney+
There was some neat Fight animation in Captain Carter, but otherwise, that’s got to be the worst one. Pretty much just a remake of First Avenger.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I thought it was aiiiight. But I've thought that about most of them.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(09-25-2021, 02:15 AM)simbob Wrote: If you look at the original trailers from before this even came out you'll see stuff like Evil Doctor Strange and Captain Carter talking; and Captain Carter, Black Panther Star Lord, some version of Thor, and a Gamora I think as some version of the Avengers.

There's a clip of Thor telling someone to "Slow down, there's a few people in the room who don't understand" (while of course denying that he's one of those people) and it's easy to imagine someone explaining all the interdimensional shenanigans that brought them to this point.
Just this guy, you know?
(09-24-2021, 11:05 PM)freeman Wrote: I mean Thor is basically just a big goofy party animal in this episode.  It doesn't make sense for a moral person to use lethal force on him on this context.
The text was that Thor's last party had destroyed a planet ("more of an asteroid, really") and this one was going to do the same to Earth, hence the need for it to be stopped by any means necessary.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
What the text actually said was it was going to blow up anyways, which for all we know is true, and everyone got out safe. Even the goat.

CLEARLY Thor is being presented as a silly party animal. Nothing lethal force is appropriate for.
(09-25-2021, 09:47 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: There was some neat Fight animation in Captain Carter, but otherwise, that’s got to be the worst one. Pretty much just a remake of First Avenger.

Yeah, I'm just talking the look of it, some stuff like facial expressions during the fights and some texture work on the models. The episode itself sucked, but on a visual level it seems more finished than some later episodes.
Does anyone else find the 'pink cheek' look on some of the characters distracting?

It isn't always present but when it does show up I can't help but think - "guys, tone down the 'makeup'"

[Image: Doctor-Strange-in-Marvel-What-If.jpg?q=5...00&dpr=1.5]
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Or

“stop drinking so late!”
(09-25-2021, 02:26 PM)vtran Wrote: Does anyone else find the 'pink cheek' look on some of the characters distracting?

It isn't always present but when it does show up I can't help but think - "guys, tone down the 'makeup'"

I definitely found it funny, and a little distracting in the first episode, especially because this is how they shade like tits and knees in anime. But I can definitely see why they did something like that, because the episodes where they is no like cutesy face blush or shading it makes the models look like they forgot to do a pass on them. Like I've seen a couple episodes with Hulk now, and in both episode the Hulk model looks like they just gave up before they were done because they figured nobody would notice. In comparison to Thanos, another big oddly colored character, the Hulk has looked oddly flat because for whatever reason they shading him like other main characters 99% of the time.

And yeah, it does also make them all look like they're the town drunk in some old Disney cartoon.
(09-25-2021, 11:00 AM)freeman Wrote: What the text actually said was it was going to blow up anyways, which for all we know is true, and everyone got out safe. Even the goat.

CLEARLY Thor is being presented as a silly party animal. Nothing lethal force is appropriate for.

I don't know that Thor is the most reliable witness here.

Right? A drunken Norse god really isn't a great source of information.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I REALLY don’t think the tone of the story is secretly hiding a MASS MURDERING GENOCIDAL MONSTER behind all the silliness.

I mean, come on guys.
I don't think Thor is INTENTIONALLY destroying planets through partying.

It just, uh, sorta happens, ya know?

Plus the show has kinda been tonally weird - that zombie ep was grim but people were dropping one liners like it was an Austin Pwers movie

I would be sincerely shocked if entire civilizations of people were DYING due to Thors partying.  That absolutely was not ever the tone of that episode, at any point.  It was more of a Ferris Buhler, OHHHH YOU! kind of tone.  Zombies are...  Zombies.  It's self-explanatory how much death there is.
They were good one lines though.

"I'm the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man."
"What happened to the neighborhood?!"
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
(09-25-2021, 09:36 PM)freeman Wrote: I would be sincerely shocked if entire civilizations of people were DYING due to Thors partying.  That absolutely was not ever the tone of that episode, at any point.  It was more of a Ferris Buhler, OHHHH YOU! kind of tone.  Zombies are...  Zombies.  It's self-explanatory how much death there is.

Ferris Bueller is a sociopath who would destroy a planet if it helped him get a leg up on someone.

I mean, I would.
You know the weird thing about the zombie episode, Marvel Zombies is a comedy, but it's a totally different (and better) comedy than the What If... ? episode. That Zombie episode was kind of unbearable with all the horrible humor in it. It wasn't only bad, but it made you question what exactly they were thinking. Who knew Ant-Man would become more chipper after losing his entire body? Also how did he seemingly not know what Vision was doing? (In the comic the head is Zombie Wasp, and Black Panther is carrying it around after Zombie Ant-Man knocked it off after she wanted to eat the Black Panther he was hiding away so he could eat parts off of) When that reveal happened I figured they'd both be badguys, and Ant-Man had just went nuts; but I guess Ant-Man just didn't realize Vision was feeding people to Wanda because the writers hadn't really thought through their rework all that much.

Wish that episode had just been the comic. It does take some elements from the comic and rework them, but the comic also follows the talking zombies around for most of it. After they'd eat someone they'd start thinking clearly and you'd get comedy bits like Spider-Man crying about how he ate MJ and Aunt May. Could've just switched Magneto out with Hulk, the Acolytes with Wakanda people and Winter Soldier, and Galactus and Silver Surfer with Thanos and his underlings.
(09-25-2021, 01:00 PM)simbob Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 09:47 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: There was some neat Fight animation in Captain Carter, but otherwise, that’s got to be the worst one. Pretty much just a remake of First Avenger.

Yeah, I'm just talking the look of it, some stuff like facial expressions during the fights and some texture work on the models. The episode itself sucked, but on a visual level it seems more finished than some later episodes.

The animation is so weird and oddly inconsistent. The action sequences (Carter in particular) are so dynamic and smooth as butter, but characters are just walking around they move like The Iron Giant.

Also agree about the MCU stars falling short of the professional voice actors. I love Ruffalo but he was awful in Zombies. 
(09-25-2021, 02:26 PM)vtran Wrote: Does anyone else find the 'pink cheek' look on some of the characters distracting?

Caught up through zombies, and I think I've decided: this show is fuckin' fugly. Like, seriously. There are some moments in each episode that look decent but the overall the aesthetic just feels weirdly cheap and off putting. I didn't care much for Invincible but boy would this be better served by a more traditional look like that show has.
Loved the episode. Didn't know Uatu the Watcher could throw hands like that. Only 1 continuity problem. Thanos couldn't have gotten the Soul Stone without killing a loved one and Gamora was still fighting with the guardians
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
Two killer What If....? episodes in a row. I was about out on the series because it was a bit of a slog, but the last two have really nailed it.

This show really thinks Thanos was joke of a threat, doesn't it?
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
His appearance was the one off note in the 30. There should have been a brief brawl.

What they did with him in the T'Challa/Starlord episode is the reason I never finished that one.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(09-29-2021, 06:29 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: This show really thinks Thanos was joke of a threat, doesn't it?

It seems fairly clear to me that the MCU is quite clearly deliberately and consciously attempting to downplay/downgrade Thanos and the Infinity Stones in an effort to prop up the threats posed by future antagonists.  After all, Disney already has the "Infinity War" money from fans, so now it has to make them seem irrelevant so people can buy their tickets to come see The Real Threat™. If and when this phase is completed and we see a new Even More Really Big Threat™ they will do the same thing to the multiverse, Kang, and the TVA.

The strategy seems utterly transparent.

It's hilarious that WHAT IF revealed that Vision could've just sliced Thanos in half and stopped everything at the end of Infinity War.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Or just blasted his head beam at the gauntlet REALLY HARD to blow all the stones loose.

It's dumb.
Or severed Thanos' hand. You know, the one with the gauntlet.

(09-29-2021, 05:29 PM)anyawatchin angel Wrote:   Thanos couldn't have gotten the Soul Stone without killing a loved one and Gamora was still fighting with the guardians

Maybe in this reality he liked Nebula better

(09-29-2021, 07:19 PM)MichaelM Wrote: It's hilarious that WHAT IF revealed that Vision could've just sliced Thanos in half and stopped everything at the end of Infinity War.

(09-29-2021, 07:34 PM)Belloq87 Wrote: Or just blasted his head beam at the gauntlet REALLY HARD to blow all the stones loose.

It's dumb.

(09-29-2021, 08:05 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Or severed Thanos' hand. You know, the one with the gauntlet.

Where are you guys when I'm getting lambasted for pointing out folks not using their powers to their full abilities (or even close to it) or endless power shrink/creep?

yea, infinity war was bad
Hand wave!  HAND WAVE IT ALL AWAY

You know this is super nit picky but my least favorite power crunch thing is black panther and cap. All movie long in winter soldier Cap is full on NOT STRONG ENOUGH to control Buckys arm. It chokes him it stabs him. Not even Super scaled up Cap can deal with THE ARM. Then in Civil War T’Challa pries it off his throat relatively easily. Aka Black Panther is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than Cap.

But you’d never know that from their 1 on 1 fight on the tarmac.
(09-29-2021, 11:52 PM)Overlord Wrote: Where are you guys when I'm getting lambasted for pointing out folks not using their powers to their full abilities (or even close to it) or endless power shrink/creep?

It's more the reducing of Thanos to an utter joke that I take issue with. He's twice now been turned into a gag on this show.

(09-30-2021, 12:11 AM)Nooj Wrote: yea, infinity war was bad

This is the wrong takeaway!
I think it’s more to show how utterly dangerous Ultron was if he inhabited Vision’s body.
I literally went "Holy shit." when Ultron sliced Thanos in half. Awesome moment.

Excellent finale! Seeing Uatu actually fighting was fucking cool.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.