Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDNIGHT MASS (Flanagan)
(10-05-2021, 12:02 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Once all of that happened - and you were conscious/coherent enough to think that - sure!

But upon first seeing something like that in actual, real life - I'm pretty sure WHAT THE FUCK is a reasonable reaction.

Yeah. But Reilly's thing comes a fair piece into his talk with the monsignor, at which point maybe you start to put two and two together. Or somebody at some other point along the way if not then.

"My God they're drinking blood! Like a-- oh, you know those monsters in hundreds of years of folklore that do that kind of thing. It'll come to me..."

It's nothing like a deal breaker for the show. It's a mildly amusing conceit is all.

(10-05-2021, 12:05 PM)freeman Wrote: I love how the plot is “Renfield never read Dracula only the bible so he doesn’t know he’s Renfield whoopsie!”

I like how smooth a transition it is for Sturge (?), maybe the biggest Renfield on the show-- you're telling me to do some weird shit, but whatever you say, boss.
Our sanitariums are full of men who think they're Napoleon... Or God.
Reilly has no idea that the wine in the Sacrament is tainted. What he sees when he enters is the rec center is the figure from the storm, its back to him, concealing its action. It then turns at him and in a flash FLIES at him and attacks him. He only has time to register that it's not human.

Reilly came to talk to the priest because of the lie about the town drunk's sister. The topic of the sacramental wine hasn't even been broached, if memory serves (and I could be wrong here).
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
SALEM'S LOT is on Riley's bedroom bookshelf.  Confirms that vampires are known pop culture/folklore staples in this show's universe.
[Image: 111.png]
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
I think this is the last time I invest in one of Flanagan's shows (not his films, which are reliably good). It's got the same strengths as Hill House and Bly Manor - that is, a lot of quite clever plotting, a solid structure, thematic throughpoints, and some really neat, clever ideas - but every single, slowly built up to ending has been on the verge of really being good before completely descending into overwrought sap.

The strengths in this series were way stronger than in those other series though. Monseigneur was an absolutely terrific character, the angel/prime-vampire was a perfect biblical demon (I'd compare it to the Smaug design from The Hobbit films - that is, it was a terrific take on an ancient monster that just tried to do things well, rather than trying to do anything pointlessly new), the visuals of the island, sea, and sky were fantastic, and a lot of the cast and characters were really good. I was struggling a little during the first three episodes, but by the time episode 3 concluded, 4, 5, and 6 hit a stride that was really compelling.

But holy Jesus: Kate Siegel's speech (it's another Flanagan series whose ending hinges on a cast member breathlessly and smilingly delivering a nice but not profound talk for 5 minutes), 'Nearer my God to thee', and the bewildering decision to end the story on a flat 'I can't feel my legs' totally killed it.

All three of his series would've been more effective and more emotionally moving had an editor hacked away at all of the self-conscious 'heart' that Flanagan's the most invested in.
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd with the passing of Joe, this show is officially fucking bullshit.
Finished it up last night. I thought the final 10 minutes or so had some false notes, but nothing that sank the show.

I have Some Thoughts, but they're very spoilery and I'd like to wait a bit and give folks a reasonable chance to watch the entire show before posting.

I am agreed that episodes 4 and 5 are probably the best ones of the show. I honestly have no idea why Belloq hated them so much!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Honestly?  Four and five have sort of derailed my enjoyment a bit.

SPOILERS

We're really going to do this entire fucking series without ANYONE saying the word Vampire?  Fucking... FOR REAL?  This is getting annoying.
You guys are getting hung up on a really small and weird point.

Also: that Bloody Disgusting piece is fantastic. I'd almost consider it required reading for anyone who watches it.

It doesn't have any plot-specific spoilers (beyond the imagery of the opening five minutes of the show), nor does it spoil how the series ends.

The fact that you’re calling THAT a “small and weird point” is fucking mystifyingly baffling.

Small thing??? It’s what the show is ABOUT!
No. It's the device the show uses to talk about what it's actually about.

Oh stop being a smartass you know what I meant. It’s absolutely absurd that they didn’t have a character noting “THIS IS CLEARLY WHAT IS HAPPENING!” It feels like I’m watching LOST again.

You really think it’s possible to watch a flannigan show and not see the THEEEEEEMES? You did see Bly Manor?
I don't mind seeing the themes. It's a bit on the nose at times, but I don't have a problem with it.

It doesn't matter if the characters never say the word "vampire."

If it makes you feel better, there's a scene in what I believe is the 6th episode that was I YELLING at the screen for some characters to break some fucking windows. It was a clear obvious escape route that, inexplicably, none of the main characters seem to consider.

Ok so I guess we’re just using that word despite it being a spoiler?

It’s not that nobody says the word, it’s that nobody even acknowledges the universally understood concept. They talk about it in terms of being a gift from heaven and angels, and as a virus.

That’s insanity. Why NOT have someone mention them??? What is the gain of avoiding it and annoying your audience?

The metaphor falls apart if just one person mentions the word vampire?  … maybe your shits a lil weak! Maybe a little forced!
Or maybe it was so obvious Flanagan didn't feel the need to name it?

I didn't have any problems in that regard. The series worked just fine for me without the characters having varying levels of monster lore.

I’m glad you had that experience. It was insanely distracting for me. This island is not what I recognize as “the world.”
(10-06-2021, 05:54 AM)freeman Wrote: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd with the passing of Joe, this show is officially fucking bullshit.

That was basically my reaction in the moment, as well.

(10-06-2021, 07:30 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I honestly have no idea why Belloq hated them so much!

Well, these episodes killed-off two of the three characters I was really invested in, and made the third into a much weaker character in service of allowing Bev to reach full villain status.

Put another way: Flanagan did too good a job of making me care, then pulled the rug out and didn't leave me much else. It felt like trying a bit too hard to subvert expectations.
I don't think Erin was ever a "weak" character. Nor was the doctor. Nor the sheriff.

Yeah, the whole ensemble totally clicked for me. And Riley had a complete and satisfying arc.

As for Joe, and his dog, those really hurt. Which, to me, seemed like a huge success.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(10-06-2021, 11:28 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I don't think Erin was ever a "weak" character. Nor was the doctor. Nor the sheriff.

I wasn't particularly invested in any of them!

I was talking about Father Paul/Pruitt. I think he was much more compelling before all the cards were on the table.

(10-06-2021, 11:31 AM)arjen rudd Wrote: Riley had a complete and satisfying arc.

[Image: fxhV.gif]
I thought Hamish Linklater's character was interesting throughout the entire show. He, too, has a complete arc, and he never failed to bring the goods in terms of performance.

Funny thing: during the first episode, I wondered why Flanagan had hired so many actors only to bury them under old age makeup. "Why didn't he just hire older actors?" I wondered, in my own dumb way.

And then: "OH. That's why."

Linklater is excellent, I find no fault in the performance.
(10-06-2021, 12:51 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Funny thing: during the first episode, I wondered why Flanagan had hired so many actors only to bury them under old age makeup. "Why didn't he just hire older actors?" I wondered, in my own dumb way.

And then: "OH. That's why."

Seeing old lady Alex Essoe in that first episode looking like Guy Pearce in PROMETHEUS was the probably the most egregious example of Flanagan tipping his hand in regard to plot.
Other than Henry Thomas, I wasn't familiar with any of the other actors in old age makeup.

ETA: Oh, shit, Essoe played Wendy in Doctor Sleep! Then again, also her looks were altered for the part.

They’ve announced Flanagan’s next Netflix series, an adaptation of The Fall of the House of Usher. When we were predicting obvious followups to Hill House and Bly, I’m surprised that didn’t occur to us immediately.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
However - it's an anthology series of eight episodes, and it's not part the House overall series, apparently.

Weird. You gotta keep building that brand, Flanagan!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Source: https://nerdist.com/article/mike-flanaga...allan-poe/

I hope it's a period piece.
(10-06-2021, 11:02 AM)Belloq87 Wrote:
(10-06-2021, 05:54 AM)freeman Wrote: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd with the passing of Joe, this show is officially fucking bullshit.

That was basically my reaction in the moment, as well.

(10-06-2021, 07:30 AM)MichaelM Wrote: I honestly have no idea why Belloq hated them so much!

Well, these episodes killed-off two of the three characters I was really invested in, and made the third into a much weaker character in service of allowing Bev to reach full villain status.

Put another way: Flanagan did too good a job of making me care, then pulled the rug out and didn't leave me much else. It felt like trying a bit too hard to subvert expectations.

Yeah i can understand that. I loved the show and I wasn't that into Riley as a character so it didn't bother me much but yeah this may be a case where they leaned too hard into what they were trying to do. So much so that when the show started I was actually surprised they were letting Riley be the lead so when it happened I was like yeah duh.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Argghhh he keeps picking books I really like and that warrant good, modern ('The Haunting' from the 1950s is a phenomenal adaptation of 'The Haunting of Hill House') adaptations. 'The Fall of the House of Usher' could be expanded on in pretty cool ways, and would be plenty cinematic and creepy with the sort of budget Flanagan commands these days.

But, tenner's bet says it'll start off slow, get really quite good, then explode in a smiley-weepy ode to familial love and everyone, shucks, just gettin' along by the end. ("We who walk there, walk together" Jesus H. Christ).
(10-06-2021, 02:22 PM)MichaelM Wrote: ETA: Oh, shit, Essoe played Wendy in Doctor Sleep! Then again, also her looks were altered for the part.

She had a small part in BLY too, but I know her best from STARRY EYES. Incredible performance there, and yet another one where she spends a good chunk of time under heavy makeup and transformative facial prosthetics.
It’s taken me until halfway through the second episode to recognize Henry Thomas.

Edit: Ah, I think I see why. The changes have been subtle.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Boy there was a final speech from one of the characters that was wonderful and all, but it was like Sam in Captain America and the Winter Soldiers finale all over again.  I felt like I was checking my watch.  

Good story.  VERY reminiscent of Salems Lot, and it wobbled a few times for me in the second half, but ultimately I enjoyed it. Much more than Bly.
Yeah, that final monologue was too long.

And yes, this seemed very much like Flanagan's version of Salem's Lot.

More accurately, it's The Fountain by way of Salem's Lot. I don't mean that in a negative way.

I’m trying SO HARD to be conscious of not casually spoiling people and you’re just like carpet bombing them anyways!

FINE! VERY Salem’s Lot! Little Needful Things. Little Revival.