Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Semi-Official Heavy Metal Thread
Painkiller rocks. If their career had ended there, it would have been the perfect capper.

That said, their last album, Firepower, is quite solid in my opinion.
Tony Iommi isn't thrilled, but Geoff Nichols' stepson shared "Slapback" to YouTube a few days ago.  "Slapback" is a Dio-era Black Sabbath tune that was recorded during the Heaven and Hell sessions.  

Nichols' stepson found it on a cassette, and a link can be found at the article:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tony-i...-slapback/

Quote:Tony Iommi says that he is "not at all happy" about the release of the Ronnie James Dio-era BLACK SABBATH song titled "Slapback" which was uploaded to YouTube several days ago.

Gary Rees, the stepson and executor of the estate of SABBATH's longtime keyboardist Geoff Nicholls, shared the track last Friday (March 5), writing in an accompanying message that he had found it on a cassette tape that contained other material recorded during SABBATH's 1979 songwriting sessions for the following year's album "Heaven And Hell".

Asked in an interview with SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" on Thursday (March 11) what he could remember anything about this purportedly unreleased tune, Iommi said: "I'm not at all happy with [Nicholls's estate releasing the song] — at all. And it's left a really bad taste in my mouth. At that point, when we did that, Geoff wasn't even involved in the band; I hadn't even got Geoff over at that time. That is actually Ronnie playing bass on that… And that was just in the lounge recorded on a cassette."

As for why "Slapback" never saw the light of day before, Iommi said: "We had one or two things that we'd jam around on and play on and stuff, but it [wasn't] right for the album, so we didn't put it into shape; we didn't record it [properly] or anything," he explained.
On topic, I just read Halford's autobiography, and he comes across as a pretty amazing guy in it. Really matter-of-fact and so far as I can tell honest, because he is willing to relate stories where he's a bit of an idiot/asshole. He also makes it sound like the rest of the fellows in Priest are decent enough people as well.

It isn't THE BEST EVER but it's a pretty breezy read, and I tore through it in a couple days.

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate
Before Dave got kicked out of Metallica, he was also kicked out of the Jackson 5

Listening to the re-mastered "Alive II" on Prime. Why does this record have such a bad rap? It's a pure adrenaline rush. Peter Criss was being phased out, but his playing throughout the record is fire. I might be nuts, but I think Ace does some EVH-style tapping on his solo at the climax of 'Shock Me'.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I've never heard any negativity towards Alive 2. I prefer the first one, but it's still a high energy live record. I'm one of the few people that likes Alive 3 though. The Revenge album and tour is what got me into Kiss and the first time I listened to it was just like being back in Pittsburgh's Civic Arena.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Boring Autobiographical Pause: I grew up in Cherokee County, GA., so take that in mind. It was a mix of affluent suburbs & rural southern culture. I'm still in public school in 7th grade, and my closest friends were into Hip-Hop & Punk. I made this one friend that year (circa 85-86), that was really, really into KISS. His enthusiasm was infectious, and he'd bring the classic records for me to take home and spin. Sometimes I'd go over to his house and hang. He'd make mix tapes (Bromance!) Anyway, he was kind of preppie, but was also hanging with the metal head kids. They would mock him for his KISS fandom. Much like Motley Crue would sneer later, calling the music and the band gay/queer whatever (softening, terms used back were a lot more homophobic). I always admired this kid for never backing down; like getting into actual musical arguments about their merits.

Ironically, I remember the metal head leader thinking Poison (!) was better than they ever were. This was when that band's first record hit. This dumbass thought C.C. DeVille was the new guitar hero or something. (The 80's were a gotdamn bizarre time).

My friend made me a fan. Next year, I was in private school. And it was my turn to prophesize their greatness.

As a little kid, my parents were always playing The Beatles.

I'm 14, I'm all "Destroyer" is the 70's fucking "Sgt. Pepper's".

Going through the classic run again, they're both ridiculous and absolutely awesome. I still love those crazy guys!

Aside: In my experience, they're right behind VH, as a band girls dig almost as guys. If open to giving them a chance, they have as much fun. Projecting perhaps, but Chicks into KISS always seem(ed) hotter & cooler than those into like Bon Jovi and Def Leppard and all the wack hair shit. Kiss was astute celebrating female horniness!

Watching the "Alive IV" 'Beth' video on YT, it was charming to see the young kids and women my age and younger knowing all the words & singing along.

KISS Army forever!

(03-18-2021, 08:18 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Listening to the re-mastered "Alive II" on Prime. Why does this record have such a bad rap? It's a pure adrenaline rush. Peter Criss was being phased out, but his playing throughout the record is fire. I might be nuts, but I think Ace does some EVH-style tapping on his solo at the climax of 'Shock Me'.

From what I understand, ALIVE II has a mixed reputation because at least some of it isn't live. Some songs - not sure how many - are actually from sound checks, with crowd noises dubbed in. Plus it's only three sides, with the fourth side being "new" songs of wildly varying quality.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I forgot my whole point: even my friend wasn't big on 'Alive II'. He was always "Alive' rules, 'Alive' is the greatest concert album ever, etc, etc.. My (false?) memory of 'Alive II' was it didn't kick as hard. I know I had that fatboy 2 discer in HS, but don't recall listening to it much. Anyway, hearing it now was a revelation. The re-mastering is excellent - take that track I posted above "Shock Me". That vintage vinyl cut sounds a bit murky. The re-mastering is full raw power.

The vast majority of live albums have studio overdubs. Aerosmith Live Bootleg is one of the few that doesn't have any; it's all soundboard recordings. I recently learned Frampton Comes Alive doesn't have many overdubs.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Enjoy.

The inclusion of VANISHING POINT and (I think) DUEL to flesh this out is pretty great.
The Pretty Reckless Death by Rock N Roll: The main reason I recommend this CD is because it rocks! A more thoughtful look at the album is that it does a good job of discussing death, grief and persevering after a loved one has passed away. IMO the standout  songs aren't heavy at all. 25 not only sounds like an outstanding Bond theme, its at least as good as Skyfall. Rock N Roll Heaven is a good mid-tempo love letter to rock n roll. Harley Darling ends the album on a sad note, but it's a way played note. Back to the heavier songs, My Bones is killer; part of the song sounds like a heavy metal Blondie.
Steve Vai broke his picking arm.

Undecided
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I saw Steve Vai in 95. The highlight of the show was when he did the cutting heads scene from Crossroads. At one point some dude in the crowd yelled: "Kick his ass Ralph Macchio!"
Green Jellÿ is back with a new album:

Since Jon Schaffer is likely going to jail for three-to-four years, let's look back at the other Iced Earth member who did some terrible stuff.  This article is from 2007, and Ernie Carletti played guitar for the band in 2006 and never appeared on any albums:

https://bravewords.com/news/former-iced-...g-and-rape

Quote:A heavy metal musician was found guilty today of kidnapping, raping and torturing a University of Delaware student in 2003.

It took a Superior Court Jury about four hours to find 32-year-old Ernie Carletti guilty of two counts of first-degree rape and one count of first degree kidnapping. Jurors found him not guilty of a weapons charge.

Carletti faces up to two terms of life in prison when Superior Court Judge Jan R. Jurden sentences him. She did not give a sentencing date.

Family and friends of the victim hugged and wept after the verdict was read. The victim wore tears and a smile as she walked out of the courthouse.
This is the weird, yet rockin, stuff that shows up in my Youtube suggestions. It's an all star band playing a metal version of Fleetwood Mac's You Make Lovin Fun.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]

Some back story on this Youtube channel. The dude in the black metal make-up had a show that combined sketch comedy and music. Since the lock down started he has had a variety of musicians make videos like this.
Their cover of Riff Raff that has Neil Fallon singing is off the hook good.

Also it bugs me that in the video they seem to have confused Christine McVie with Stevie Nicks. Do better music nerds!

A Hawaiian shirt is like a cash gift - always appropriate

So goddamn good!
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
That's awesome!
In honor of Mick Mar's 70th birthday, here is his my favorite piece of guitar playing from him.
[video=youtube]http://[/video]
A package tour featuring Megadeth as the headliner was recently announced. I'd like to see this announcement as a sign things will be back to normal soon.
https://metalinjection.net/tour-dates/me...tour-dates
The Two Minutes To Late Night has all their covers available to purchase until midnight PST tonight.

https://twominutestolatenight.bandcamp.com/
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga

That was pretty fucking cool!
That IS really cool!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear