Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NIN :: The Nine Inch Nails Discussion Thread
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jim Slade
View Post
Of course you're right. But I tend to cut Reznor some slack in the lyrical department, as I don't generally listen for the lyrics as much as his arrangement/mixing/production technique, which continues to intrigue me.

I get that, but he puts the vocals so far out front that they're impossible to ignore. I also don't think he's come up with many new musical tricks in the last 15 years or so, so even the argument that he's some sort of musical prodigy who just happens to be a bad lyricist (a notion that I used to buy) has become less valid over time. He was once an innovator in terms of production and texture, but he's been coasting on that rep for years. I don't hear anything on his new albums that he didn't do better before.

Quote:

For what it's worth he may be self-conscious about lyrics himself; he's admitted having problems with writer's block, the amount of material he's released this year is a glaring exception to his general 2-5 year gap between albums (bearing in mind that about two thirds of the music he's released this year has been instrumental), and he's released what, like three b sides in his entire career.

If you're suggesting that he spends any time whatsoever struggling over lyrics, I'd hate to see his reject pile. I don't believe that he's self-conscious about his lyrics - if he were, he'd spend more time on them, and he might eventually become an adequate lyricist. But there's been no improvement since The Downward Spiral; in fact, he may have even gotten worse.
There's no sense of evolution, yeah, that's the problem. I get why people like it. I love Wong Kar-Wai, but he seems to have found his niche, and isn't going to offer too many variations. Same could be said of Wes Anderson. The art isn't necessary profound, but the grammar, the cadence is excellent, and either you find the album you like or you love the total, even if all you're getting is subtle variations (which is the case with most artists).

Bringing Joy Division into the mix absolutely shatters Reznor at his best. There's nothing he's ever done that could compare to the chills I get when I listen to Transmission for the thousandth time. Then again, I think Reznor completely captures what it's like to fuck a goth chick, so I get it. And I liked it at the time (TDS and fucking a goth chick). But in both cases, you really do have to stomach some bullshit posturing. To complete the analogy, if you're still that girl when you're in your 30's or 40's... yeah, it doesn't age well.
As a musician he's compelling. As a lyricist he's a 13-year-old girl.
What made Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral so visceral, compelling, and effective is that Reznor's anger and frustration felt natural and real. It was like a demon was bottled up in the depths of his soul. After that, his post-Spiral work drowned in angsty proclamations that simply didn't register with me on a reactionary level. The majority of his music escalated into angsty paranoia and manufactured hostility. The reason an album like The Slip even surprised me--the music itself was stronger than I've heard from any NIN album in more than a decade. That's not saying much, I know, but when your expectations are very low, almost any improvement will resemble a revival of sorts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Abed
View Post
What made Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral so visceral, compelling, and effective is that Reznor's anger and frustration felt natural and real. It was like a demon was bottled up in the depths of his soul. After that, his post-Spiral work drowned in angsty proclamations that simply didn't register with me on a reactionary level. The majority of his music escalated into angsty paranoia and manufactured hostility.

I'd include Broken in that mix as well. I know they aren't popular around these parts, but I'd say Korn had the same problem(as in I could only take them seriously for the first album). Trent had a better run.
Quote:

View Post
The reason an album like The Slip even surprised me--the music itself was stronger than I've heard from any NIN album in more than a decade. That's not saying much, I know, but when your expectations are very low, almost any improvement will resemble a revival of sorts.

Say what you will, but production-wise the Fragile is fucking brilliant, and the same goes for "the Perfect Drug".

I'm quite fond of the Year Zero sound, but I know it's a bit messy for most people, and the production is very stripped-down. Also, it's full of loops "the Trent of old" never would have relied on. The beats are all rather basic, especially when compared to some of his more complicated work(the aforementioned "the Perfect Drug", for instance).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus-7
View Post
I'd include Broken in that mix as well. I know they aren't popular around these parts, but I'd say Korn had the same problem(as in I could only take them seriously for the first album). Trent had a better run.Say what you will, but production-wise the Fragile is fucking brilliant, and the same goes for "the Perfect Drug".

I dig the 'The Perfect Drug'. I think it's one of Trent's best songs (and most overlooked). If I were Trent, I'd branch out into composing scores. I could see him having a highly productive stint in that field.

As for Broken, has got to be one of the greatest "work-out" discs ever. That sucker is chalk full of combustible adrenaline and enough testosterone that would make Michael Bay explode.
Quote:

View Post
If I were Trent, I'd branch out into composing scores. I could see him having a highly productive stint in that field.

I've been thinking this ever since I first heard "A Warm Place", and I've been vocal about it ever since I got my hands on the Fragile. The problem back then is that someone would have made a film, handed it to Trent completed, and gotten it back with a score 2 years later.
I think Trent's eased up on his perfectionist tendencies enough nowadays that he could actually score a film in a reasonable amount of time. I really hope he does.
Bumping this thread as The Slip streets tomorrow. It's a limited edition; I know I'll end up buying it, but I always feel so stupid rushing out to buy a CD or DVD that's limited because I always end up seeing it still lingering on store shelves two years later, taunting me for being a Pavlovian consumer whore. And I'm too OCD-ish to not buy it.

But I'm a fan and will keep supporting Trent (and seeing him live next monday!) even though I've been conditioned to think I'm really lame and NIN is a passe 90s band or whatever. I'm hoping the concert is not a Ripoll-esque neurotic nightmare where I feel like an awkward asshole and don't know how to act or applaud properly. I don't go to a lot of shows and I'll be in a strange city far out of my comfort zone.
I'm going to pick up my copy of the LE later today. Looking forward to hearing the live tracks.

http://theslip.nin.com/physical/
Thanks for bumping this. Snagged my copy yesterday, and it's the first time I've been able to listen all the way through. Just never remembered to download it. Upon initial listen, it's not bad, but I'll need another to see how it stands up. Anyone watch the DVD yet?
Anyone going to Lollapalooza? I'll be there. This will be the first time I've been able to catch NIN live (various shitty circumstances have conspired over the years to keep me from seeing them up until now).

Can't wait, as seeing Beside You In Time has reassured my assumption that they're one of the best live acts touring today.
Just got floor tickets for DCU Center in Worcester on August 8th. Helllll yessss. The setlists I've seen look absolutely killer too, including some nice Ghosts medleys.

I'm on the fence about buying The Slip. I'm waiting to find out if there will be a SACD hybrid or DVD audio/dualdisc release. I haven't been keeping up with the news about The Slip physical release, but it doesn't look likely. The high res version was available for free download, but it sounded kinda funky to me, poorly mastered. I'm hoping the CD version at least has a better sounding master, since the initial download one was rushed and had some technical errors.
i'm heading out wednesday to see them in winnipeg, then driving to minneapolis for the show after. i'll be the guy at the front of the GA line, if anyone's interested. im going early. ... early.
I still can't believe NIN are going to Winnipeg and Edmonton but not Montreal. Yes, I'm jealous.
that is kind of strange. personally im in thunder bay and there's zero chance of them ever coming here, so im content to drive 7 or 8 hours to see them.

no montreal though.. huh.
....sorry
I wish I could make it to Winnipeg. Enjoy it for me will you Torrance?
Twoish weeks till Atlanta. I finally found someone to go with me, so I'm fucking hyped to go.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakespeare
View Post
I wish I could make it to Winnipeg. Enjoy it for me will you Torrance?

You have my word. Guaranteed I will enjoy it and make the most of it more than a large percentage of the rest of the crowd. Fear not, i will not let you down.
winnipeg show was awesome. crystal castles were amazing as well.

at the moment im in minnepolis, finding out that trent cancelled tomorrow's minneapolis show due to doctors orders. im sure he'll make it to lollapalooza the next day, however..

im so not bitter.
That's the other thing that pisses me off about not having a Montreal show. I really like Crystal Castles and missed the show they did a few weeks ago. Seeing them with NIN would have been great.

How's the tour? Is it like Beside You in Time?
It's a good show. The shiny drape from beside you in time is gone, but in its place is possibly the largest wall of lights both behind the band, in front of the band, and sometimes mixing with the band, pretty much ever.
Amazing stuff, though I can't express how weird it was to see the Ghosts stuff shoehorned in there. It's very odd to see Robin Finck play the recorder with a straight face, and Trent play a very large xylophone.
Interesting.
Saw them at Lollapalooza, and it was fucking awesome. One of the best stage/light/visual shows I've ever witnessed, and the sound was on par with that.

I actually LOVED the Ghosts section of the set, and could've enjoyed a lot more of it.

The fact that the visual LED walls are INTERACTIVE is fucking insane. At one point (before Echoplex) Trent uses one of the LED walls as a drum machine.

Other than Tool and Radiohead, no other band puts this kind of effort in presenting its audience with such an incredible and over the top visual feast.
Fuuuuuck! I still have some hope that a Montreal show will be added but I better get at least a DVD out of this.
Well, put this one in the rumor mill, but it still sounds cool.

Quote:

The dystopian future imagined by Trent Reznor is synergy-friendly. Some have argued that it’s cliche. The savvy Nine Inch Nails frontman tells the LA Times that he recently met with HBO about adapting the themes of his Year One concept album (and cultish alternate reality game) into an ambitious sci-fi series…

“I just pitched it to HBO two weeks ago in L.A. It went great. Ideally, we’re trying to get them to do a two-year limited series. I prefer that over a film. We would have a second ARG tying into the second album and ties into the series and they all happen together with a budget needed to pull that all off. There would be a tour down the road. The record completes the story, the ending that no one knows. I know what happens. I knew when I started it. And it’s not what people think. “

Full article HERE

Wow, I really hope this happens, even though it seems unlikely.

Edit: Missed Justins post. My bad.
The Year Zero show has been rumored for a while now and I'm still intrigued, particularly if Reznor wanted to write new music for the show. Though really unless you get HBO at the dorms I wouldn't see it anyways.
There were enough kooky ideas in the concept to make it interesting. I think they would need a decent writer to really flesh it out and ground it with decent characters.

From what I read about the ARG it (possibly) involved corrupt governments, terrorism, nuclear attacks, time travel, aliens/god and the end of the world. Sounds like fun!
Get Lynch to do it. Not that he'd have any interest, most likely, but still.
Whats Mark Romanek doing these days?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus-7
View Post
Get Lynch to do it. Not that he'd have any interest, most likely, but still.

Well... he DID get Reznor to do some music for Lost Highway, no?
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeypants
View Post
Saw them at Lollapalooza, and it was fucking awesome. One of the best stage/light/visual shows I've ever witnessed, and the sound was on par with that.

I actually LOVED the Ghosts section of the set, and could've enjoyed a lot more of it.

The fact that the visual LED walls are INTERACTIVE is fucking insane. At one point (before Echoplex) Trent uses one of the LED walls as a drum machine.

Other than Tool and Radiohead, no other band puts this kind of effort in presenting its audience with such an incredible and over the top visual feast.

Word. For whatever reason, I wasn't sure they would put on a good live show, but I was fucking blown away. I had no idea Trent's throat was giving him problems until he started talking between songs.
My Worcester show got delayed until November 9, oh well. Trent's voice will be better, and the band is usually better near the end of a tour.
New dates added. Montreal on november 12!
I've been revisiting Ghosts I-IV a bit recently, and this album is probably the very definition of a "grower" for me. There're some really interesting ideas and soundscapes going on here.

Hopefully Trent makes good on his tease regarding future volumes of Ghosts albums.