Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Drugs
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaybe Sapien
View Post
...

And here was me thinking we were having a discussion.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall

One other reason why I'd never do drugs, I'm autistic and god knows what'd happen to me on a trip..

I understand people who don't trip, because god knows I've had my fair share of bad trips that I'd never want to relive again. But pot? Pot is so...peaceful. Unless you're easily paranoid or smoking some schwag, you should try it.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
And here was me thinking we were having a discussion.

Real discussions include taking into account what people are saying and letting those view points affect you in some way. I see a lot of people not taking into considerations each others experience (including yours Spike). You don't need drugs to be a whole person, but don't pretend like its a completely valueless experience either.

EDIT: dammit intheshadows, thats Spike's quote not mine.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
And here was me thinking we were having a discussion.

Sigh, quoting without response = seconding.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
It's such a fundemental part of human interaction that I can't understand someone admitting to not being able to dance.

Quote:

I'm autistic

Kind of hoping you have a youtube channel right about now.

I never called a red flag on anything, again. Not judging you for abstaining (and as others have mentioned, there'd be no point to trying anything now). But explaining being high to you would be like you explaining being autistic to me. There's an experiential disconnect that we're never going to get past.
Reply
To be clear, I'm not advocating that drugs make you a whole person. Not sure where that idea entered the conversation, but at least on my end, thats not my argument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreary louse
View Post
I don't understand what being white and middle class has to do with it. Or your resume.

I think she was responding to me saying drugs helps people relate to others.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
View Post
You'll note that I said did not try alcohol, drugs, or sex.

On the first page, you wrote -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
View Post
I don't trust anyone who's never tried drugs.

Sounds a hair closed-minded to me.
Reply
It's Sunday and I'm lazy so here's the well-worn Bill Hicks drug bit
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissZooey
View Post
On the first page, you wrote -

Sounds a hair closed-minded to me.

I clarified on Page 2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
View Post
I'm not advocating trying everything. I'm advocating trying at least one thing.

I don't know, part of growing up is discovering who you are, what you like/dislike, trying new things. If you are past college age and haven't tried alcohol, pot, or sex...I don't know, I just find that weird. It says to me that you take life at face value and aren't willing to experience things different from life as you know it. If you try pot and don't like it, cool. No one is saying you have to be a drug addict to enjoy life. But not having tried anything... I don't know, that sends a red flag to me. I just find that lack of curiosity puzzling.

*Edited for clarity

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by James May
View Post
Why is everyone getting defensive over whether they have or haven't done drugs?

Agreed. I hate to sound like a pusher or something. Hell, I've lost friends to drugs(this statement is true on a few levels, I was referring to death though).

But at the same time I have no problem with people who've never done drugs, so long as they aren't preaching the dangers of them. It's different to say "Hey, coke might stop your heart", because it's possible. But saying pot has no redeeming qualities, or...
oh blah, I could totally go for a drink right about now.
Reply
I actually couldn't care less if one partakes in recreational drugs or not. Hell, at this point in my life, it's such a rare occurrence for me that I might as well consider myself drug free. I just like picking on Spike. But not because he doesn't do drugs.
Reply
I've never had a drink or taken drugs because I have an issue with vulnerability (not so much physical as psychological), I much prefer sexual experimentation, something I've more control over (similar reason why I have several tattoos, a claim of ownership over a body I didn't choose). I also grew up with a father and brothers that sat about discussing sports that I didn't understand while chugging whatever beer of choice, so it's possible that I associate drinking in general with a certain tract of masculinity that I just don't possess. All of this awkwardly makes me the silent guy at the table when I'm with friends who are trading stories about the last time they were wasted and whatnot.
Reply
So what does that do then? Does that mean that drug users win? I really don't get why you'd post that.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
So what does that do then? Does that mean that drug users win? I really don't get why you'd post that.

Because it's Bill Hicks and he's fuckin' hilarious.

Also, do you like music?
Reply
Amusing thread. There was a time when I would have laughed at the guy who was lamenting taking fourteen hits. There were a couple of summers back in the nineties where I was convinced LSD was meant to be taken as much as possible. Then to do other drugs on top of LSD, like coke, was a smart thing to do.

Thing is, I don't feel cool or superior about any of that stuff, but quite stupid. What was I thinking? Sure, I had some great experiences with drugs over the years, but I've also had guns in my face, been ripped off, a few near O.D. experiences, jail, and I know I've done damage to my brain and body that at my age can only be explained by the rampant drug use.

If I have any useful advice to dole out, stay the fuck away from opiates. Pills. I'm sure there's plenty of you who may take things like vicodin and oxycontin on a regular basis and are fine, but seriously, I've seen more bodily harm, criminal activity, you name it come out of the abuse of painkillers than I have from all the folks I've known who've done coke, crack, heroin or any other drug you can think of combined. I should note that I don't have much experience with folks on meth, it's a drug I tried years and years ago and I honestly could not find one reason to recommend it, unless being up for two or three days is your bag.

Why on Earth would you want to watch a movie while on LSD? Get the fuck out of doors. Watching a movie while on Ecstasy? Why would that even come up?

I'm not going to disparage weed. I don't really have a use for it anymore, maybe once or twice a year, but other than interfering with your ability to pass drug tests, it's the greatest thing ever.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by InTheShadows
View Post
Because it's Bill Hicks and he's fuckin' hilarious.

Yeah he was brilliant, a fantastic speaker with a real lyrical style and genuinely interesting thoughts. That's 3 minutes of him pretending to be Satan getting a blowjob.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott & Prospero
View Post
I actually couldn't care less if one partakes in recreational drugs or not. Hell, at this point in my life, it's such a rare occurrence for me that I might as well consider myself drug free. I just like picking on Spike. But not because he doesn't do drugs.

Ditto. Although this thread is making me nostalgic. Might have to find a party later on...
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Marshall
View Post
Yeah he was brilliant, a fantastic speaker with a real lyrical style and genuinely interesting thoughts. That's 3 minutes of him pretending to be Satan getting a blowjob.

The point is that without drugs there would not be most of the great music we have today. This is a fact and not open to argument, sorry.

You don't want to accept that drugs have any benefit. The above statement is proof. I understand that drugs aren't for you and respect that but you need to accept that there is a valid argument for their use.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
View Post
I don't trust anyone who's never tried drugs. People who think its all or nothing pretty much have that attitude towards everything in life. In general, I find those folks close-minded, uncreative, and boring to be around. Now if you tried drugs (even just a hit or two of pot) and decided its not for you, fine. At least you are open to trying new things. That is always a good quality to have.



Holy shit! How are you still alive?

I don't do drug, but it is not because I as close minded. it fear of anaphylactic reactions. Also because of said reactions I masted self hypnosis when I was a child. Most drug that I can take just seem redundant, now have decades of practicing self hypnosis. I bet I can do things with self hypnosis you can't do with drugs. Since I was a teen I been playing with out of bodies experiences and lucid dreaming.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by eenin
View Post
I don't do drug, but it is not because I as close minded. it fear of anaphylactic reactions.

Keeping antihistamines around is always a good idea if you're going to use drugs, for this reason. They take care of most of the simple allergic reactions, but having a serious allergic reaction to something like pot or shrooms is highly unlikely. In fact, its way more common if you're having fun with pharmaceuticals, which I personally stay away from for the most part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eenin

I bet I can do things with self hypnosis you can't do with drugs. Since I was a teen I been playing with out of bodies experiences and lucid dreaming.

I'm sure you could.
Reply
Lift that X-Wing out of the swamp, eenin.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquafresh
View Post
The point is that without drugs there would not be most of the great music we have today. This is a fact and not open to argument, sorry.

Oh, it's plenty open to argument.

Let's start with the idea that correlation does not equal causation and end with the idea that your point is probably more insulting to the artists who have used drugs than those who haven't, because it assumes an artistic failing on their part that could only be transcended through artificial means. In other words, you're full of shit - fact, not open to argument, sorry, etc. Hicks wasn't always right, you know?
Reply
Haven't done anything stronger than pot, but I just watched Altered States for the first time and I'm still deciding whether it was pro or anti-hallucinogen. Either way, fucking rad and I want to try it.
Reply
I like drugs.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveB
View Post
Oh, it's plenty open to argument.

Let's start with the idea that correlation does not equal causation and end with the idea that your point is probably more insulting to the artists who have used drugs than those who haven't, because it assumes an artistic failing on their part that could only be transcended through artificial means. In other words, you're full of shit - fact, not open to argument, sorry, etc. Hicks wasn't always right, you know?

DaveB is right, except it's a scientific fact that Aerosmith on smack = awesomeness. Aerosmith sans smack = Love in an Elevator.
Reply
But what if the artist was already talented, but felt he needed drugs to help him think more clearly and/or help with the formation of ideas? Sure, the drugs are a crutch, but without them who knows how much great music never would have been created? And this doesn't only apply to music, it applies to literature, film, and painting as well.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith F
View Post
DaveB is right, except it's a scientific fact that Aerosmith on smack = awesomeness. Aerosmith sans smack = Love in an Elevator.

Funny, I was going say something incredibly similar.
Reply
Drugs can be great for inspiration. Certain drugs I've tried seemed tailor made for writing, like cocaine. But that lasts for about five minutes, then every other time all you can think of is when you're getting more coke, how are you going to pay for more coke...

Point is, you might say if helps with your writing, music, painting, etc, but soon it will all be about the drug, and you won't be doing anything more creative than figuring out how to score more drugs without going into the poor house.

Yes, there are exceptions, I know.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveB
View Post
Oh, it's plenty open to argument.

Let's start with the idea that correlation does not equal causation and end with the idea that your point is probably more insulting to the artists who have used drugs than those who haven't, because it assumes an artistic failing on their part that could only be transcended through artificial means. In other words, you're full of shit - fact, not open to argument, sorry, etc. Hicks wasn't always right, you know?

Yeah, I'm so sure the Beatles could have written SGT. PEPPER with just a little chutzpah and a good strong cup of coffee.

Edit: Oh wait, caffiene's a drug, scratch that. Just the chutzpah.
Reply
Yeah, and I'm sure the downfall of the Beatles had nothing to do with drugs.
Reply
I spent 4 years doing every drug I could get my hands on. First time I ended up in rehab was mostly to kick a coke habit. I was okay for about nine months. About 18 months later I was in rehab for a second time, mostly due to heroin this time. I got out and swore off everything but pot. Then relapsed.

Then I turned 21.
I was the cliched white middle class suburban junkie.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus-7
View Post
Well there is a hangover, but it's a different beast. You just end up being slightly "slow".

I call it "having the stupids."
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith F
View Post
Yeah, and I'm sure the downfall of the Beatles had nothing to do with drugs.

Maybe but the point is WITHOUT THE DRUGS THE BEATLES WOULDN'T HAVE MADE SOME INCREDIBLY GREAT MUSIC. I'm sorry if this insults the Beatles but it's just the fucking truth. I don't see how this is debatable, we might as well argue that the earth is flat.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveB
View Post
My senses have been altered by a bad case of insomnia and a bad flu - I don't think I gained any valuable insight through the experience. While my experiences with acid were far more enjoyable, I can't say I gained any there, either. I just had an interesting time.

Remember that "bad-acid-trip" vibe we got in that Disney store? Confusedhudder:
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquafresh
View Post
Maybe but the point is WITHOUT THE DRUGS THE BEATLES WOULDN'T HAVE MADE SOME INCREDIBLY GREAT MUSIC. I'm sorry if this insults the Beatles but it's just the fucking truth. I don't see how this is debatable, we might as well argue that the earth is flat.

That's taking the view that Sgt. Peppers is the highpoint of their musical career though.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)