Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to the bar
Asbury Lanes does a brisk business in the middle of Armageddon.

As for Red Bank, Dublin House was my hangout.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy225
View Post
Sea Bright, actually. Red Banks's Kevin Smith territory, and damn have they built that place up nicely.

Sea Bright!!! Yeah, that's the same place, I swear it. My knowledge of middle to northern Jersey beach towns gets a little fuzzy. And, yeah, Red Bank is pretty nice. I have some friends that live out that way and it's pretty damn swanky.

ETA: Yep, just confirmed that was the bar via a fan website: October 30, 1997 at Trade Winds in Sea Bright, NJ. Wow, memories.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
View Post
Asbury Lanes does a brisk business in the middle of Armageddon.

As for Red Bank, Dublin House was my hangout.

Is it still there? If so, I'll have to check it out - that is if I can find a place to park.

I used to hit a couple of Irish bars with my Irish buddies, especially for our annual St Patrick's Day get togethers. We'd usually hit Duffy's Tavern up in Sayreville (across and down the street from the Coliseum, a popular alternative lifestyles nightclub - featuring Drag Attack on the weekends!), before hitting up Club Bene, or more likely hitting the many nearby stripclubs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyG
View Post
Cecil's - Right off West Gray and Studemont, so it's easy access to just about every restaurant, and part of town in Houston. It's an old house that's been remodeled into a bar, and the interior is fairly cramped, but it's relaxed, a few love seats and booths, with a corner behind the bar with three couches and a TV that a big group of people can hang out on. Almost everyone sits outside on the huge front deck though, and they start grilling burgers, fajitas, hot dogs around 10PM every night for a couple bucks a pop. Next door is one of my favorite restaurants in Houston, Barnaby's so that earns it bonus points. Best jukebox I've heard in the city. This was also Bill Hick's favorite bar.

Poison Girl - Heart of Montrose on Westheimer. Horrible parking, and no indication that the bar actually exists unless you know what's behind that door. It's one long hallway basically, with a few tables scattered around, and opens to an open back patio. Killer collection of pinball tables in the back. Random water balloon fights with people from the neighborhood that the patio backs up to also occur.

Hans' Bierhaus - West University. Another renovated house, with a huge outside back patio with bocce ball. Serves only wine and beer, which I'm not a huge fan of either, but the beer selection is huge and I usually find something I like. Awesome crowd, and the owner is incredibly cool. Also serves from the boot, so you can live out your Beerfest fantasies.

It's been awhile (and hope that these are still open) but the following bars were my hangouts in Houston.

Cafe Adobe - Westheimer/Montrose area. Hands down best cheap Margarita's in Houston. I spent many Sunday's there getting loaded up after brunch.

Gingerbread House - West U/Rice University area bar. 1000s of beers. Local hangout for Rice college. Laid-back and fun!

Kay's Lounge - Kirby/Bissonet area. Small dive bar but (to me) the quintessential Texas dive bar. Buckets of beer? Check. Great juke box? Check. Dim Lighting? Check. Original beer signs? Check. Older crowd. Back in the day, used to have lots of KTRK (channel 13) people hit there after work. Also, John Wayne used to drink there.

There are a few other bars I used to frequent but I'm omitting those (as they are more geared toward the gay district).

Side note, ever eat at the original Barnaby's or Breakfast Barnaby's? Yum.

Edited to add: Almost forgot my favorite Irish pub! Kenneally's on S. Shepherd. If you're Irish and haven't been there. SHAME.
The back of The Dublin House lets out into that big municipal lot on White. The one with the movie theater and the hobby store. Dublin House is still there.
We have a really good Irish bar in downtown Minneapolis called The Local. Apparently, this bar goes through more Jameson whiskey than any other bar in the World. It's a great bar, but it's usually packed to capacity every night.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBarr
View Post
Cafe Adobe - Westheimer/Montrose area. Hands down best cheap Margarita's in Houston. I spent many Sunday's there getting loaded up after brunch.

Side note, ever eat at the original Barnaby's or Breakfast Barnaby's? Yum.

Edited to add: Almost forgot my favorite Irish pub! Kenneally's on S. Shepherd. If you're Irish and haven't been there. SHAME.

HBarr, I have no idea how you went into Adobe. I know tons of people that love it, but unless it's done a 180 since you last lived here it is some of the worst Mexican food in town. The place is a suburb chain now, akin to Chili's at best. Literally, they're out in Woodlands now.

Crackshack Barnaby's on, I think, Longview? Or is it Fairview? I've been to it a couple times, but prefer the West Gray location. And Breakfast Barnaby's, oh hell yes. Not as good as Empire Cafe, but hey, Empire Cafe isn't exactly worth the pain in the ass parking and wait either.

I've never been to Kenneally's on Shepherd, and I'm Irish, so consider me shamed! I had a few Irish places in Toronto, no idea what the names are, that I liked, but never looked for any in Houston.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyG
View Post
HBarr, I have no idea how you went into Adobe. I know tons of people that love it, but unless it's done a 180 since you last lived here it is some of the worst Mexican food in town. The place is a suburb chain now, akin to Chili's at best. Literally, they're out in Woodlands now.

Crackshack Barnaby's on, I think, Longview? Or is it Fairview? I've been to it a couple times, but prefer the West Gray location. And Breakfast Barnaby's, oh hell yes. Not as good as Empire Cafe, but hey, Empire Cafe isn't exactly worth the pain in the ass parking and wait either.

I've never been to Kenneally's on Shepherd, and I'm Irish, so consider me shamed! I had a few Irish places in Toronto, no idea what the names are, that I liked, but never looked for any in Houston.

They had started the suburb chain thing right before I left; however, please note I did not mention their food. I'm talking about cheap margarita's and atmosphere. I'd suspect that the Westheimer location (in Montrose) still has the right kind of atmosphere. Especially on Sunday's. Standing room only. 2-3 hour waits for tables.

Immediately rectify not visiting Kenneally's. Yes, there are a few more better known Irish pubs in Houston, but Kenneally's is the best. Hands down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBarr
View Post
They had started the suburb chain thing right before I left; however, please note I did not mention their food. I'm talking about cheap margarita's and atmosphere. I'd suspect that the Westheimer location (in Montrose) still has the right kind of atmosphere. Especially on Sunday's. Standing room only. 2-3 hour waits for tables.

Well, you're definitely right about the wait. I've never seen it 2-3 hours, but definitely lines outside the door. I think Chuy's down the street takes a lot of Adobe's customers away, and the wait at Chuy's is always long too. Margaritas are good as well.
I don't like to drink much these days (my drinking years were ages 16 through 24), but I was lucky enough to have access to one of the coolest locations on God's green earth: the Hansom House in Southampton, New York.

The main attraction was the damn building itself - over the years the owners had taken in toys, knickknacks, oddments, all sorts of things and adorned the walls and ceilings with them. One lounge had ten different couches and what i believe was an antique dentist's chair; one room was wallpapered in 60s and 70s era nudes and all the tables and lamps were different.

The bar was named for the actual hansom cab, grotesque mannequin at the reins, in the lounge. The women's bathroom had a mural of Adam and Eve, with a bronze fig leaf on a hinge covering Adam's twig and berries; if a person lifted the fig leaf to look underneath a siren sounded in the bar.

The grounds behind the bar had ornate benches and tables, and bushes were planted to create secluded nooks for groups. There were live music on certain nights, and you could sometimes find a "gypsy" ready to tell your fortune.

My first psychedelic experience (psilocybin mushrooms) occurred here. Magnificent.

Sadly the joint has been turned into a cajun restaurant. Doesn't affect me because I live on the opposite coast these days, but I was a bit bummed when I heard the news.
In Cambridge:

The Cellar. Quaint little pub in the basement of a restaraunt. Great service (the Friday night bartender is one of the friendliest guys I've ever met) and terrific food. Kobe beef sliders and roasted potatoes in truffle oil. God, now I want to go there. Plus they have cheap PBR on tap, which I hardly see anywhere.

Charlie's Kitchen. One and a half notches above a dive, which is perfect for me (just try to stay out of the bathrooms). Two floors, good, cheap greasy food for late night snacking. And the BEST jukebox ever. Plus, I met my girlfriend there, so there are sentimental reasons. They also have a beer garden in the summer that's pretty nice. Doesn't really match the inside of the place, but if it's busy in the summer at least it clears out room inside.

People's Republic. Big, square bar. Plenty of seating. Darts. Fairly cheap. Low light. Perfect for people watching. Sometimes too crowded on the weekends, but I like it. It's a good place to watch a Red Sox or Celtics game. It was great choice for election night too. I hugged so many random strangers at the bar...

Boston:

TC's Lounge. It's like god said, "Let there be dive bars." Not for everyone, but if you revel in a good dive, this place is for you. It's close to Mass Ave but tucked away in an alley so it's almost always empty. Cheap, fun and a good place to meet up and check out the local weirdos.

Bukowski's. Cramped, and no alcohol (the fuck? Bukowski's???) but HUGE beer selection and good tunes. Sunday night is Tom Waits night and if you don't have to work on Monday it's a good place to grab a seat by the window, look out over Boston and drink your troubles away. Good food too.

The Parish Cafe. Probably considered a restaurant before a bar, but I end up doing a lot of drinking there, so fuck it. Nice big bar, great service, and THE BEST SANDWICHES EVER. No joke. They have local chefs design their sandwiches and they're all worth checking out. Music is a roll of the dice, but with a group of people I usually don't care.
I've only been in Orlando for 3 and 1/2 years, but FIDDLER'S GREEN (Irish pub) fits me just fine. Irish food, hot waitresses, live music on the weekends, dirty wood tables, and Guinness that flows freely. I've had much of their menu (recommend the Irish Stew) and don't get there nearly enough (I've got a small daughter at home).

Any Chewer's welcome to buy me a beer there.

It's a madhouse around St. Paddy's though...
Quote:

View Post
The back of The Dublin House lets out into that big municipal lot on White. The one with the movie theater and the hobby store. Dublin House is still there.

Awesome - I know exactly where that is (I know where the theatre's at). I owes ya a brew, Phil!
I either tend to hit Fanny's Ale House which tends to be the best place to go for exotic drinks (they have specialities ales and spirits each week so there's always something new to try)

Or if I'm wanting some classic British Ambience I go to the Boathouse which is a really nice pub on the side of a canal.

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/5600327.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker
View Post
In Cambridge:

The Cellar. Quaint little pub in the basement of a restaraunt. Great service (the Friday night bartender is one of the friendliest guys I've ever met) and terrific food. Kobe beef sliders and roasted potatoes in truffle oil. God, now I want to go there. Plus they have cheap PBR on tap, which I hardly see anywhere.

Charlie's Kitchen. One and a half notches above a dive, which is perfect for me (just try to stay out of the bathrooms). Two floors, good, cheap greasy food for late night snacking. And the BEST jukebox ever. Plus, I met my girlfriend there, so there are sentimental reasons. They also have a beer garden in the summer that's pretty nice. Doesn't really match the inside of the place, but if it's busy in the summer at least it clears out room inside.

People's Republic. Big, square bar. Plenty of seating. Darts. Fairly cheap. Low light. Perfect for people watching. Sometimes too crowded on the weekends, but I like it. It's a good place to watch a Red Sox or Celtics game. It was great choice for election night too. I hugged so many random strangers at the bar...

Big love for The Cellar. That was my regular for years. I remember when Metal Greg (probably more Rockabilly Greg now, and married to the lovely Yanira) first got hired there as bartender, because he was always there. Say hello to him from me next time he's working. And look for Ernesto sitting at the bar -- he's one of my best friends in the world.

And Charlie's was host to more weird late-night 'theory of comics' conversations and hangouts with visiting creators and the staff of the Million Year Picnic than I can count, but that was over a dozen years ago...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andre Dellamorte
View Post
The Short Stop - No food, just drinks. They have a Sopranos pinball game, and a sitdown arcade game, where you can chose the game, and one pool table, usually busy. There's usually three bartenders, and pictures above the bar of the most recent famous dead. It used to be an old cop bar, it's in Echo Park, and it's near the Dodgers stadium, so you get the rabids, but that area's a bit gentrified, so mostly it's college kids, and the locals (though there's a nearby bar that's worse for hipsters, though they don't bother me), but there's pictures up of teams and cops (there's a huge Choirboys poster), and pictures of soul artists. I believe it's still co-owned by Greg Dulli. Over the girl's bathroom there's a framed picture of Sharon Tate. The dance floor is the main attraction for me. It's not that big and the acostics tend to be bad. Mondays they don't have a DJ, excepting holidays, Tuesdays one of the owners spins, mostly whatever he wants. Wednesdays alternate between awesometown (of which pics are posted here: http://www.shadowscene.com/fiesta.html) and Al, who is not that good, but it tends to be a mellow night, though it can pick up around 12:30-ish when Margarita night nearby slows down.

Thursdays tend to be Salsa-centric. The DJ will mix it up, so they'll be some funk, but it tends to go latiny, which can clear the dance floor. Friday's are my friend Scott. He plays whatever the fuck he wants, so it can go from Teh Cure to Jay-Z to Michael Jackson to MGMT to whatever gets people to dance. I fhe hates the crowd, it's The Power of Love. Saturdays It's DJ Lance (Rock, of Yo Gabba Gabba fame) and Craig, and the two spend the night trying to outdo each other. All Vinyl, they also have a soft spot for playing Eddie Murphy's Boogie in your Butt, though they'll also throw down for Paper Planes and Rhiana if they have to. Sundays have become my favorite. Dee and her friend just play CDs of Funk hits from the 60's. Sometimes they'll dip into the 70's a little, but not too much. So it's Aretha, Otis, Sam, Stevie, Smokie, Marvin, Edwin Starr, Shirley Ellis, etc. The main Bouncer is Justice. He's been there years, and he's the gatekeeper. It took a bit for us to become friendly, but I never wait anymore. He always tells me the floor conditions, and is now offering to buy me drinks because I'm "the party starter." To say I go there often is an understatement.

That place had me at the Choirboys poster! Ha. If you can find a girl who likes to get down to Aretha, Otis, Sam, Stevie, Smokie, probably a keeper.

I'm more of a coffeehouse guy now. (what a drag it is getting old) My little place is a two story off Milledge, in downtown Athens. Comfortable chairs and booths; good conversation; and a cute girl with an ear for programming cool stuff --at times the place sounds like that bar in Deathproof.

The coffee is great. French pressed right at your table.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Fischer
View Post
Big love for The Cellar. That was my regular for years. I remember when Metal Greg (probably more Rockabilly Greg now, and married to the lovely Yanira) first got hired there as bartender, because he was always there. Say hello to him from me next time he's working. And look for Ernesto sitting at the bar -- he's one of my best friends in the world.

And Charlie's was host to more weird late-night 'theory of comics' conversations and hangouts with visiting creators and the staff of the Million Year Picnic than I can count, but that was over a dozen years ago...

Right on, Russ! Is Metal Greg the young guy with sideburns and dark rimmed glasses or the older guy who always wears shorts? I'm guessing the younger dude. He always pours a great Guinness. Either way, I'll mention my name and pass on your hello and keep an eye out for Ernesto.

And yeah, I still see Million Year Picnic staff at Charlie's. Along with some of the folks from the Brattle and all the local record shops. There's always good conversation mixed with unusual behavior. Last weekend some nut played Sweet Jane in the jukebox ten times in a row. I love that song but...Jesus.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post

Next time I make the inevitable trek to Disney with the wife and kid, you fly, I'll buy.

Like Tom, most of my favorite watering holes are gone, too. My friends and I spent a lot of time wandering around Greenwich Village & SoHo in our late teens & early 20's. We used to love just picking a direction & walking till we found someplace. We used to be able to finid really cool bars we'd instantly forget the locations of and never find again. Sadly, after years of doing that, we lost the ability. Like an aging wizard ina Neil Gaiman story or something. . . the magic just left.

But we did spend a lot of time in Googie's on Sullivan Street (which we liked more because we were regulars & known & well treated by the staff than anything else, although the barrels of peanuts added a few points in my book. We also hoisted quite a few in the King Tut, with its couch & dayglo paint in the back corner (last time I went by there, it had turned into a gay bar), and Sophie's in Alphabet City. It was a dive from the word go, but damn it, it was OUR dive and we LOVED it. Though I'd be hard pressed to tell you why. Or maybe Aces, just down the street from Sophie's. Maybe it was the collection in the glass case on the wall of antique character metal lunchboxes? Or the 3D holographic poster of the werewolf? Sometimes got so crowded you couldn't get in, so apparently we weren't the only ones who thought so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianM
View Post
2. Ryan's Pub, French Quarter, New Orleans. Big butt stools, Irish Car Bombs on special. Golden Tee. It's on the corner with big sets of doors open on two sides for the breeze. Far enough off of Bourbon Street. Grab a po-boy from Johnny's (better yet, make your friend go after you beat him in a game of pool), grab the front corner of the bar and watch the world go by. Decent jukebox.

One of the greatest nights of my life was spent at this pub. a couple weeks ago, after the Flogging Molly concert at the HOB next door to Ryan's, Dennis Casey (FM's lead guitarist) shook hands with me and told me that he was going to Ryan's and that I should come hang out. Long story short, me, my good friend and just a handful of people ended up closing the place down with him, Dave King(FM'S lead singer) and Dave's wife Bridget. we all sat around talking and cutting up. the bartenders were VERY cool. Apparently a lot of acts playing the House of Blues go to Ryan's after a show. It's on Decatur, right next to the HOB.
Yeah, Greg's the younger guy with glasses, prolly slicked back black hair, sideburns. He's great. Makes a killer Manhattan, too.
A little shithole called the Boat Launch. Because, you see, it's actually located at a boat launch.

You run the risk of being stabbed whenever you're there, but it has a classles ambiance that you just can't replicate anywhere else. Seriously, dive doesn't even begin to describe this place. At one point it was briefly shut down because the stilts it sits on half sunk into the water and the building was on the verge of breaking in half.
Well a bar is a bar to me. Its the experience with friends that makes it worthwhile.

Down here though I do have a bar called Conners which is a nice chill place to play pool and watch a PPV fight. It also has a connection to a club and a casino.

Sucks when I get back home and how the smoking will go over there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyazaki
View Post
Live in Austin.

I tend to avoid Sixth St., which is just too full of tourists and college age kids for my liking. Crappy bars for the most part too.

My favorites?

Barflys: A bar in North Austin on the second floor of a building that also houses a burger place. Staff here are awesome and the make good, strong, cheap drinks. Pretty much anything can be had for around 3 dollars or less. Lone Stars are 1.50 all the time. Always an interesting but laid back crowd make it a good place to people watch as well. Oh yeah, and a great jukebox. Edited to add that the stairs going up into this place and down into the patio in the back are the best worst thing about this place. Watching drunk people trying to make their way up into the bar or down to leave is a site to see.

Lala's: This is the kind of place your grandpa would drink at. Wood paneling throughout and the place is decorated like it's Christmas year round. Drinks here are a bit pricey, but when I go, I go for the setting. Also, another amazing jukebox filled with 30-50's crooners and R&B through the 70's. Love, love, love this place.

Agree on most of 6th -- although, since I'm still that age, it's not as big of a deal. I would like to say that B.D. Riley's and Pete's Dueling Piano Bar are big favorites of mine.

Also, if you can stand the pressing masses of humanity, popping in and out of bars as you crawl is usually an easy way to discover hyper-cheap drink specials. I hit Shakespeare's one time when they were running $2 Long Islands -- I was out $10 in less than 5 minutes.

As for coffee in Austin, Flipnotics on Barton Springs. Hands down. If you're not in an espresso/brewed coffee mood, order the Moonquake shake with coconut syrup (get the Earthquake with coconut if you can't eat bananas).

I was recently introduced to a place on North Loop called Epoch -- which was nice. But Flips wins every time.
A great place to meet other people is Chase's in New Symrna Beach. It's about 20 yards from the beach, but we never touch the sand every time we go there. There's a pool with a volleyball net strung across it, and it's always busy but never overly crowded. Waitresses bring your drinks out right to the pool, and there's always an abundance of girls in bikinis. There's also a small area on the pool deck where they get local bands to play, mostly reggae/island music.

It's worth the 45 minute drive (from my house). It's a great way to spend a Saturday/Sunday.

Here's a view from the air of the place (got it off their website)

Locally, there's a bar called Jax Deli & Bar in Lake Mary (about 5 minutes away). Over 300 different beers, and 60 of them are on tap. Can't complain about that, and the food's good too, although a tad bit pricey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8
View Post
I've only been in Orlando for 3 and 1/2 years, but FIDDLER'S GREEN (Irish pub) fits me just fine. Irish food, hot waitresses, live music on the weekends, dirty wood tables, and Guinness that flows freely. I've had much of their menu (recommend the Irish Stew) and don't get there nearly enough (I've got a small daughter at home).

I have friends that always end up dragging me to that place when we're down in the Winter Park area, and it's one of the most difficult bars to get a drink in. Whoever designed the bar should be shot - I'm pretty sure there's more than one support for the roof going right through the bar, and the supports aren't small either!
Quote:

Originally Posted by WayDen
View Post
I have friends that always end up dragging me to that place when we're down in the Winter Park area, and it's one of the most difficult bars to get a drink in. Whoever designed the bar should be shot - I'm pretty sure there's more than one support for the roof going right through the bar, and the supports aren't small either!

That's what the hot waitresses are for.

I also tend to go during lunch and dinner times too, so the drinks usually show up in my hand with no effort.
Crazy to see how many people know the bars of Monmouth County, NJ. My friend worked during his high schools years at the Dublin House (we lived in the next town). Very cool place to get drinks, but NEVER eat there, too many stories about what happened behind the scenes.

Red Bank was such a cool place (for young adults) when I was 12, then around the time I got into college it became yuppie hipster and never really got to enjoy the scene.

My brother's friend owned Tradewinds. Decided to close it after the 500th lawsuit where someone fell on broken glass. Turned it into these pod -like homes that did not sell too well.
I got to know Monmouth County pretty well, as I live right on the border between it and Ocean County. When I attended Monmouth College, everyone would make the circuit almost every night. You'd go from Cedar Ave. to Ocean Ave., hitting bars and hangouts, maybe catch a flick, until you hit Broadway and all the dives there. Trips to Red Bank weren't uncommon (parking was hell back then as well as now, though). Or, you'd go south through Deal until you hit Asbury Park. Summer time meant hitting the beach there or making the trek to Point Pleasant (home of my first serious girlfriend, an older woman who broke the shit out of my heart when she dumped me) and Seaside Heights.

The night would wrap up by going to the WindMill for some munchies, or mellowing out at the aforementioned Inkwell. If you were lucky enough to hook up with someone that night, chances are you were having "the sex" before class the next day.
We should all go get drunk at the Wagon Wheel in Keansburg. Then - drunk Skee-Ball.
Quote:

View Post
We should all go get drunk at the Wagon Wheel in Keansburg. Then - drunk Skee-Ball.

Fuck. YES.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tati
View Post
The Inaugural party had free tequila!

God Bless your Country, sir.
Quote:

View Post

Can we play drunk Wack-A-Mole,too?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy225
View Post
Fuck. YES.

Make it happen, Timothy!
Back on topic.

I was not planning on going out last night, but a friend called to semi-invite me to crash another friend's birthday party at Bourbon Blue last night. As I wrote earlier in the thread, they do $20 all you can eat king crab legs or ribs.

Now, mind you...I've gone there to drink and get the usual pub grub, but I had never eaten dinner there before. What followed surprised even me.

The ribs were fall-off-the-bone cooked, and epic in flavor. Hints of chipotle and ancho peppers in the sauce, but no true heat... just an enduring spiciness.

The crab legs were boiled in Old Bay spices and filled with meat, accompanied by french fried potatoes seasoned with the same blend. The bland appearance of the cole slaw belied its' rich taste.

Plus all Absolut drinks were $3.50. Needless to say my bar bill exceeded my dinner bill, but a good time was had by all.

I highly recommend this place not only as an excellent bar, which it is... but for the caliber of the meal I had last night. Suffice it is to say, this will be my Wednesday hangout. I put out the call to all PA/NJ Chewers to join me if they wish.