Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
When to say enough is enough? (Or how I finally gave up on Rivers Cuomo)
#71
Now we're talking!
Reply
#72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Millette
View Post
Greg, do you know what a masterpiece is? It's an artist's great work. Even shitty artists can have a shitty masterpiece. It's not like calling Pinkerton Weezer's masterpiece suddenly devalues Sgt. Pepper or the fucking Wall.

Because from what I'm getting you may as well just go 'wah wah wah the nineties' and be done with it, rather than continue this stupid argument.

You are a very angry person.

For the record, I didn't continue this stupid argument. My last post on the subject was nearly a month ago. So late pass, but thanks for piping in.
Reply
#73
Funny, you used to be an interesting one.
Reply
#74
Angry and fickle.
Reply
#75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker
View Post
I love fun.

this is fucking awesome.
Reply
#76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker
View Post
OK, so its a "real" photo that looks like its photo-shopped. It still sucks. Almost as much as the title.

Do people really like this? Why?

for the record, I didn't read all of this thread and haven't given 2 shits about weezer since the muppets video.
Reply
#77
Ah, fuck it. I was cranky that morning, Greg.
Reply
#78
Too much coffee and Weezer?
Reply
#79
Personally, I thought Weezer was alright on Blue, ok on Pinkerton. But then they made a song with a guitar riff lifted from the Munsters theme, and I haven't looked back.

That cover is so calculated and cold, I don't understand how anybody can enjoy it. It screams "marketing" to me. "Hey, the kids love internet memes, and funny pictures of animals are all the rage on the internet. Let's do that."

The art of the album cover is dying slowly and painfully. I mean, we used to get this:



Now we get flying dogs.
Reply
#80
To sum up:

- Odette Yustman is in the video for (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
- Can't Stop Partyin' now features a verse by Lil Wayne

One of these things is very good news.

(I don't think there's enough interest to justify opening a new thread so is this the right thread for album reaction etc.?)
Reply
#81
I just want to thank Weezer. I can now finally say goodbye. Jesus Christ this album.
Reply
#82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Woods
View Post
I just want to thank Weezer. I can now finally say goodbye. Jesus Christ this album.

I had this moment of clarity on the Red album. The new single ALMOST sucked me back in.
Reply
#83
While I think that "The Red Album" is kinda brilliant in its own bizarre way, Raditude's blatant commercial concerns are often just too damn much to take.

"Love Is the Answer" is easily one of the weirdest songs they've ever done. I can't decide whether the late-90s Disney vibe works for me on a novelty level, or if it's just embarrassing. I feel differently about it every time I hear it. Currently, I'm leaning toward the latter.

That said, I legitimately like:

If You're Wondering (If I Want You To)
Can't Stop Partying
In The Mall
I Don't Want to Let You Go
Reply
#84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Woods
View Post
I just want to thank Weezer. I can now finally say goodbye. Jesus Christ this album.

Maybe I should buy this just so I can have this same reaction. I'll join the chorus saying that I love Weezer's first two albums, and feel something's been missing since then. I liked the Red Album, and think it's the best thing they've done since Pinkerton, but that's not saying much. They still make "great" pop, but it doesn't have the same feel that their first two albums had. The new song seems catchy, but soulless. Is the rest of the album like that?
Reply
#85
I know a guy who's a giant Weezer fan (like, unhealthy obsession, almost) and hates the living shit out of this album. He's pretty angry about it, actually.
Reply
#86
It's the worst album they've ever made by a pretty staggering margin, and that's coming from someone who loved the Red Album. If You're Wondering is the only song that's not outright embarrassing.
Reply
#87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
View Post
I know a guy who's a giant Weezer fan (like, unhealthy obsession, almost) and hates the living shit out of this album. He's pretty angry about it, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slater
View Post
It's the worst album they've ever made by a pretty staggering margin, and that's coming from someone who loved the Red Album. If You're Wondering is the only song that's not outright embarrassing.

Coincidence?!
Reply
#88
I haven't heard a single note from this album yet and I think I'm going to keep it that way. Red was my break up from Weezer. I think I'll just avoid the one more time for old times sake sex.
Reply
#89
I dunno, I've only heard the half of it that's up on spotify, but somehow this one's so up front about how frivolous it is that i'm finding it hard to be too bothered by it. These songs at least have a bit of energy, which automatically makes the more listenable than all those stodgy mid-tempo Make Believe dirges that just plod along and sap your life away.
Reply
#90
Quote:

Originally Posted by wydren
View Post
Maybe I should buy this just so I can have this same reaction. I'll join the chorus saying that I love Weezer's first two albums, and feel something's been missing since then. I liked the Red Album, and think it's the best thing they've done since Pinkerton, but that's not saying much. They still make "great" pop, but it doesn't have the same feel that their first two albums had. The new song seems catchy, but soulless. Is the rest of the album like that?

I'm pretty sure the blue album and pinkerton exist in this glowing nostalgic void, perfectly capturing and bottling time and place.

I kind of wish they died in a plane crash a week after Pinkerton was released.
Reply
#91
I want to bitch about this thing too.

I'm a later years Weezer apologist, there are even days when I like Maladroit more than Pinkerton (Blasphemy, I know.), and I legitimately like both Red and Green. But outside of "If You're Wondering" (which is great, and probably the best of their later singles), this album is shockingly worse than Make Believe. Why the fuck is Rivers Cuomo still singing about going to the mall? Maybe I'm just cranky and this album is some glorious nostalgia trip, but the whole thing feels pandering and uninspired.
Reply
#92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Bean
View Post
I'm pretty sure the blue album and pinkerton exist in this glowing nostalgic void, perfectly capturing and bottling time and place.

I kind of wish they died in a plane crash a week after Pinkerton was released.

Except I'm still introducing people to Weezer via those two albums, and people still love them. I've had quite a few people tell me that they don't want to listen because they hate everything they've heard by Weezer, but when they give Blue and Pinkerton a try they tell me "These are really good albums. What happened?" I just tell them the lead singer got zapped by the same aliens that replaced Eddie Murphy with an unfunny clone around 1990.
Reply
#93
Klosterman has a pretty interesting essay in his new book comparing Werner Herzog, Ralph Nader and Rivers Cuomo. However, I feel very strongly that Can't Stop Partying is the worst shit ever, so I can't reconcile that essay with the new CD.
Reply
#94
Quote:

Originally Posted by wydren
View Post
Except I'm still introducing people to Weezer via those two albums, and people still love them. I've had quite a few people tell me that they don't want to listen because they hate everything they've heard by Weezer, but when they give Blue and Pinkerton a try they tell me "These are really good albums. What happened?" I just tell them the lead singer got zapped by the same aliens that replaced Eddie Murphy with an unfunny clone around 1990.

Yeah, I never really got into either Blue or Pinkerton until around '99 or 2000, years after they'd come out. I was already well into my 20s, too, so I can't chalk their immediate appeal up to teen angst nor their continued appeal up to nostalgia. They are genuinely good rock albums (with Pinkerton arguably a Great Rock Album).

Green is a reasonably appealing listen, but one of the most unnecessary, least ambitious comeback albums of all time. Maladroit is kind of fun and messy, and it almost seems like a warm-up for something that balances the coherent and chaotic like Pinkerton, but we now know that it wasn't.

I don't even understand how anyone can enjoy, much less defend Red, which I'm pretty sure has been proven to be cancer-causing.
Reply
#95
Would Rivers Cuomo have worn a Weezer Snuggie 10 years ago?
Reply
#96
My main problem with Green is that it sounds like it was arranged and performed by power pop robots. Plenty of solid hooks on that album, enough for me to say it tends to be mildly underrated, but it's all delivered so lifelessly that it ends up a charmless experience. Shame, really.
Reply
#97
Am I the only one who kind of likes that Cuomo has been over the last few years showing how little he gives a fuck about what rock critics and Pinkerton-loving fans want? Blue and Pinkerton might be the outliers, while the last few albums have been closer to Cuomo's true personality.

Check out the irony-free cover to Alone II. This is not a guy who's afraid of embracing the absurdities of pop culture, whether it's hair metal or the latest pop-dance-rap-rock mix popular right now.

I've been listening to a lot of bands who are trying to push the boundaries of rock. So it's refreshing to hear a band go the opposite direction, go with the pop culture flow. It's the music of someone trying to be cool but is so incredibly dorky and cheesy. As Spin's review states, the album "is a concept album about, by, and for, total schlubs."
There's something kind of funny, endearing and identifiable about lyrics like this:

The rest of the summer was the best we’ve ever had/We watched titanic and it didn’t make us sad/I took you to Best Buy/You took me home to meet your mom and dad
Your mom cooked meat loaf, even though I don’t eat meat/I dug you so much, I took some for the team/Your dad was silent His eyes were fixed to what was on TV

I would like to give a demonstration/Of what it is I do/I'll take you out to dinner at Palermo's/We'll split a cheese fondue

Whether or not Cuomo is being sincere, ironic, or both, the music is still fun. I guess this makes me a Weezer apologist.
Reply
#98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas
View Post
I guess this makes me a Weezer apologist.

And a terrible, terrible person. Bask in your awfulness, Nicholas. Bask. No, more basking.
Reply
#99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
View Post
And a terrible, terrible person. Bask in your awfulness, Nicholas. Bask. No, more basking.

*Frowns, hangs head down, and plays Can't Stop Partying one more time*
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas
View Post
There's something kind of funny, endearing and identifiable about lyrics like this:

The rest of the summer was the best we’ve ever had/We watched titanic and it didn’t make us sad/I took you to Best Buy/You took me home to meet your mom and dad
Your mom cooked meat loaf, even though I don’t eat meat/I dug you so much, I took some for the team/Your dad was silent His eyes were fixed to what was on TV

I would like to give a demonstration/Of what it is I do/I'll take you out to dinner at Palermo's/We'll split a cheese fondue

Quoth Jonathan Richman:

Quote:

Well take me way up north to meet your Mom and Dad,
So they'll see that Jonathan ain't quite so bad.
I wanna be back in your life
I wanna be back in your life
Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby

Take me to the fields you used to roam
So your pal Jonathan can call them home
When I'm back in your life
I wanna be back in your life
Baby baby baby
Baby baby baby

Well, Take me to your favorite covered bridge,
And the road that leads high o'er the ridge.
I wanna be back in your life
I wanna be back in your life
Baby baby baby
Baby baby

well Gimme a break! Bang Bang!
Gimme a break! Bang Bang!
Gimme a

Well, show me the saddle and show me the stirrup,
And then we'll help your daddy when he goes out for maple syrup
I wanna be back in your life
I wanna be back in your life
Baby baby baby
Baby

I will wait a long time, if that's what it takes,
But someday I wanna help your mamma when she brings out the pancakes
I wanna be back in your life
I wanna be back in your life
Baby baby
I wanna be back in your life

And time's-a-wastin'
Cuz what once was a puppy is now a dog
And what once was a piglet is now a hog
and I wanna be back in your life
oh I wanna be back in your life.

Funny, endearing, and identifiable, and he did it without dropping a single pop culture reference or name brand about 30 years ago.
Reply
What's the flyarz verdict on the new one?
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveB
View Post
Funny, endearing, and identifiable, and he did it without dropping a single pop culture reference or name brand about 30 years ago.

You say that like it makes it better. The pop culture references, the specificity of taking a girl to Best Buy or splitting a cheese fondue at Palermo's, are exactly what helps make the lyrics funny, endearing, and identifiable. And very much a Weezer song.
Obsessed with pop culture, from the lyrics to the music.

Cuomo was calling people homies, name-dropping Kiss and Kitty Pryde and talking about "shaking booty" and wanting "sugar in my tea" in the first couple of albums. But it becomes worse when coupled with popular dance or pop-rock music?

I don't know. I can't really understand the hate. In my opinion, Weezer has become the musical equivalent of something like Speed Racer.
Reply
To play Devil's Advocate, I'm not a huge Weezer fan. Their first album is solid (but I wouldn't label it a masterpiece), never got into Pinkerton, and I find their later stuff to be far from awful, though I haven't heard the last album. Their singles are catchy and likeable...they just don't stick with me for a long period of time.

Cuomo knows his way to a great pop-hook. I just rarely connect to the actual music other than on a casual level. It's an intangible relationship.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas
View Post
Am I the only one who kind of likes that Cuomo has been over the last few years showing how little he gives a fuck about what rock critics and Pinkerton-loving fans want? Blue and Pinkerton might be the outliers, while the last few albums have been closer to Cuomo's true personality.

This may be the case, but Pinkerton is such a personal album I have a hard time believing it. I'm much more inclined to believe that he threw himself out there, warts and all, and it kind of bombed. So when he got the chance for a comeback, he took it and went the safe route. It's kind of sad, because I think the personal closeness is what made Pinkerton so great. Sure, it's angsty, but we've all felt that way sometimes. Now what he does is just so...safe.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by wydren
View Post
This may be the case, but Pinkerton is such a personal album I have a hard time believing it. I'm much more inclined to believe that he threw himself out there, warts and all, and it kind of bombed. So when he got the chance for a comeback, he took it and went the safe route. It's kind of sad, because I think the personal closeness is what made Pinkerton so great. Sure, it's angsty, but we've all felt that way sometimes. Now what he does is just so...safe.

I can't agree. I think there can be a misconception that an artist is more personal or genuine when the music is more angsty and sad. If that artist's goals are to express their happiness or fun side, it might be often seen as being frivolous or unsubstantial.
And I'm not sure what he's doing is all that safe. Lyrics so sincere they can be seen as ironic, white guy versions of hip-hop, and collaborations with Lil Wayne, Kenny G, and The All-American Rejects are kind of out there. Have you seen the cover to the Red Album?
I'm not saying that everything they do is brilliant or anything. I just appreciate the band being unafraid to truly let their nerd flag fly and wonder why people dismiss them so quickly.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)