Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LAURENCE FISHBURNE WILL BE PERRY WHITE, AND THE BUTT OF A THOUSAND RACE JOKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post

Now, here's something weird: out of all these conversations about racial retconning that we talk about -either to applaud or decry- no one ever really talks about Billy Dee Williams playing Harvey Dent in Burton's Batman. At least, I don't think anyone does. I've never read any outrage, and I've also never really read anyone showering it with superlatives. It's just a fact that's collected within Batman.

Maybe if he'd played Two-Face into the bargain there may have been outcry - but really my guess is it simply comes down to Batman '89 being made in 1989 - long before a little thing called the internet arrived to "democratize" information to such a degree that nerd outrage about film fancasting could sit equally alongside discussions on much less interesting and important things like world events or politics.

I'm not a Superman reader, but as he's portrayed in the comics, but I've always been led to believe that Luthor is much more multidimensional in the books than he has been in the movies. That he was pro-human, anti-alien defender. If so (and there's a chance I'm making that all up), then that is a role I'd love to see Fishburne play. Aside from playing to his strength and nobility, it sidesteps the "black people are always villains" thing. Not that I feel it needs to be sidestepped.

It's solid casting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Phibes View Post

It's solid casting.

...and really nothing else should fucking matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain Dog View Post

...and really nothing else should fucking matter.

Exactly.

Well, it should matter that Fishburne phones it in something like half the time nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe T View Post

Well, it should matter that Fishburne phones it in something like half the time nowadays.

That's kinda irrelevant to the discussion tho, no ones faulting the casting decision on the basis of a possible bad performance.

...and frankly if 'phoning it in' gives another scenery chewing turn on a par with what we got from his breif appearance in Predators, then I'll take Larry phoning it in over many other bland performers doing their best.

See compared to most good Fishburne performances Predators comes off as part of the problem.

Thats why I can't get too excited. That was some bland Fishburne.

I'll take calling out Fishbourne for past iffy performances as opposed to unfairly calling him out because of his skin color(which, by the way, I have not yet read anyone doing).

Has any one checked Stormfront yet?

(note: I am not about to check out Stormfront)