Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CW's ARROW Discussion Thread

Heard they've got Deadshot, Chyna White and The Huntress lined up in future episodes.

Anyone planning to check this out?

felix, I really...Want to watch Arrow!  Cablevision Subscribers are truly getting...SHAFTed, with the Cablevision/Tribune Dispute that caused Cablevision to pull The CW aka WPIX off the system.  Unless an agreement happens before tomorrow night at 8 pm, I will have to watch online.  I do not know when it would premiere online either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Heard they've got Deadshot, Chyna White and The Huntress lined up in future episodes.

Anyone planning to check this out?

No I hated Smallville.

I'll give it a watch, but my expectations are really really low at this point.

So he is just "Arrow" in this? ugh. A grim and wannabe gritty Green Arrow series. Like we needed this. Pass, and this is coming from someone actually watched every season of Smallville (put the stones down). At least that show become enjoyable in how bat shit horrible it could be. This looks like it is taking itself way too seriously. 

All I know is those pull ups he was doing in the first trailer are insanely bullshit, and Kelly Hu in a semi-regular role makes me . . . I dunno, there's a semi joke in there somewhere.

Why can't they just make Batman?

I have bookcases less wooden that lead actor.

It will probably run for 10 seasons, and every DC character introduced will be disappointing at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post

I have bookcases less wooden that lead actor.

It will probably run for 10 seasons, and every DC character introduced will be disappointing at best.

After ten years of superhero blue balls from Smallville, I don't think they can get away with that again.

They've already said that there'll be no super-powers in this one. They're essentially trying to do 'Nolan-verse: The Series.'

Ha!  Hahahaha.  Good luck with that.

If that's true, I doubt I'll make it through the pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

They've already said that there'll be no super-powers in this one. They're essentially trying to do 'Nolan-verse: The Series.'

Wow. That severely limits the villains they can use.

It's almost as though they're ashamed of the source material. "No! No! No! It's not the Green Arrow! It's just The Arrow! And he wears green things!"

Haha so what happens when "Arrow" is busy notching his bow and someone unloads with their Uzi?

Cylon Baby, What happens?  Oliver performs a...Combat Roll, and lets loose a...Boxing Glove Arrow.  Result a...TKO!

If they do use the boxing glove arrow at some point during the series, Arrow will surpass both Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire as the greatest TV series currently on-air. Despite the potential for failure, I'm going to give Arrow a chance. The reviews on AV Club and HitFix have actually been pretty positive.

I'll also be giving it a chance. Hell, I watched every single episode of Smallville. There are probably some countries where that's actually incorporated into the military's torture methods.

JPL, I'd like to use a...Boxing Glove arrow on Cablevision and Tribune for the fee dispute which caused Channel 11 aka The CW, to disappear from the line up.  It has lasted...5 weeks.  I hope I can see the show tomorrow, as I have been really looking forward to this!

Well, CW's website usually uploads new episodes the next day. So I'm guessing you'll be able to see Arrow eventually.

JPL, That is good news.  It sure it amazing that a deal couldn't be done before now though.

That was better than I expected. This is clearly going to be nothing like Smallville, which gives me some hope.

Holy hell, that Beauty and the Beast show looks like the worst thing in the history of civilization.

felix, Arrow is...On Target!  I...Aim to see more episodes online until The CW returns to Cablevision.  It is great to see such a...Super Series!

Worse than I expected, and I wasn't expecting much. Even keeping television in mind, I truly don't get storytelling THIS compressed. In the opening voiceover, he talks about making himself into a weapon and reclaiming his city or some such nonsense, but we haven't even SEEN the city yet, nor do we see any instance of himself "becoming" a weapon/ace archer/parkour expert.

He has a flashback where he remembers his Dad speaking to him on the lifeboat saying he has to confess that he's not the man Oliver thinks he is, yet we've barely seen him up until that point, so how would we know who that is?

He finally returns after dreaming of rescue for 5 years, and the first thing he does is sleep on the floor near an easily opened window just so he can have a dramatic thunderstorm nightmare/flashback recollection?

Then, killing the last henchman because "no one can know my secret"? That you're a good-to-great hand-to-hand fighter?

It felt like a second episode or second hour of a two-part pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

Apparently you're right.

So, just watched the first episode. I've seen worse TV adventure shows, I guess. I'll give it a few more looks, just because Ollie's one of my favorite characters. But that's the real problem here-- the lead is almost devoid of charisma.

The lack of superpowers isn't a problem for me. Seems to me you could mine a lot out of Mike Grell's run on the comic from the 80s, where Ollie was never called "Green Arrow" in dialogue and superpowers were never shown (even, I recall, when Hal Jordan showed up).

If they're putting in Deadshot or the Royal Flush Gang though, it looks like they're aiming (sorry) for somewhere in between. Yes, very Nolan-esque.

Sneak peaks of Huntress and new characters.

felix, The preview and Panel for Arrow at NYCC was...Awesome!  I wish I could watch it when it airs instead of on my computer.  Curses!

Who else is watching this...Awesome new Superhero Series?  Forget the...Flightless Birds Of Prey, this is the...First Good Superhero Series since...The Flash, was...Speedily Cancelled!  Not faint Praise as...The Flash was one of my favorite Live Action Superhero Series.  Sure the list is short...Wonder Woman, The Flash, and The Incredible Hulk!  Arrow is...On Target to be...2nd on the list.  I...Quiver with anticipation of higher ratings equalling a...2nd season for the Bowslinger!

I think I'm bailing out on this one. Between the lead actor channelling the charisma of a rock, the terrible writing (so the fact that Diggle was knocked unconscious by Oliver is going to remain completely unmentioned, yes?), and the painful dialogue (especially the cringe-inducing voiceovers we have to endure from Oli), this show feels very much like the shipwreck which its lead character endured. There's more chemistry between Oli and his sister than between him and 'Laurel' which is a serious problem if you're going to spend a section of each episode trying to replicate the Clark/Lana love scenes from Smallville.

It's a shame because I wanted to like it. It looks like some serious money was thrown at this thing, especially when it comes to the short action scenes, but each minute feels like someone shooting arrows into my face.

MrSaxon, Not surprisingly, I...Disagree.  The Action is...On Target.  I am interested in Oliver and Dinah re-connecting as well as Oliver and his sister Thea.  I do not think Stephen Amell is wooden, I think he is the...Hero of the piece and plays this to a T!  Also, I never think of Smallville, as I instantly hated the...no tights no flights concept, and never watched it as a result.  I saw bits and pieces flipping channels, and never was interested enough to stay.  Lois and Clark was far...SUPER...MAN to me.  It is also not surprising that...Arrow and Copper are the...Only Live Action Series that interest me.  I do watch Boardwalk Empire and Magic City with my dad, and find the Jersey set gangsters more...BOREDwalk than the high praise they receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke fleed View Post

I...Quiver with anticipation of higher ratings

This is my favourite Dukism ever. When it comes to your skills I am... GREEN with envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke fleed View Post

MrSaxon, Not surprisingly, I...Disagree.  The Action is...On Target.  I am interested in Oliver and Dinah re-connecting as well as Oliver and his sister Thea.  I do not think Stephen Amell is wooden, I think he is the...Hero of the piece and plays this to a T!  Also, I never think of Smallville, as I instantly hated the...no tights no flights concept, and never watched it as a result.  I saw bits and pieces flipping channels, and never was interested enough to stay.  Lois and Clark was far...SUPER...MAN to me.  It is also not surprising that...Arrow and Copper are the...Only Live Action Series that interest me.  I do watch Boardwalk Empire and Magic City with my dad, and find the Jersey set gangsters more...BOREDwalk than the high praise they receive.

I have to say Mr Fleed that I would never have pegged you as a Copper fan! *Chuckles*

Mike's Pants, Thank you for the kind words.  Do you enjoy Arrow? Finally there is not only a Superhero series on the CW, but there are...Supervillains, and not just bank robbers and mad scientists that Wonder Woman suffered from in year 2 and 3.  Birds Of Prey was so...Underwhelming.  That was the last Superhero series.  They had the wrong Huntress, Dina Meyer was Batgirl, but then became the bland Oracle, and it was also the wrong Black Canary.  Speaking of Black Canary, I hope Katie Cassidy dons her fishnets and bathing suit costume and takes to the streets with Ollie to fight crime in Starling City.

Mike's Pants, Arrow's Aim is...True!  William...TELLs me that there will be...22 episodes this season.

Ha, good news! I haven't seen it yet, but I have it recorded. You've never steered me wrong before buddy. I'll give it a go.