Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Roberts' STAR CITIZEN

How long until Roberts gives up and Star Citizen is released in its current form as a meta deconstruction of space combat sims?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondguy View Post

How long until Roberts gives up and Star Citizen is released in its current form as a meta deconstruction of space combat sims?

Personally, I see Roberts getting sued to high heaven and being forced to sell off the game to another developer to 'finish'.

Again, the scope creep is what's killing them.  By all accounts, they could have finished the game that they promised when they launched their kickstarter campaign, but they've been absolutely killed by the constant addition of scope to the project to the point that it's untenable.  What they should probably do:

Reduce scope.  Remove any functionality (shelve it for now) that wasn't part of the original campaign.  Finish what was promised, polish it, and then release it.  Doing so would fulfill the requirements of the kickstarter and probably kill any potential lawsuits (or mitigate them, anyways)

Upon release: do bug fix releases and solicit feedback from users regarding the elements that were removed...what would people like to see the most?  Prioritize the backlog based upon these requirements and do incremental releases...just like EVERY OTHER GAME DOES.

AWhat they should probably do:

1. Package up a free BBC Micro emulator.
2. License Elite.
AWhat they'll actually do instead:

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/254220/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

While the temptation to flee with briefcases full of cash is probably sky high, it's not likely to work.

The smart play would be to release what was originally promised, even if it isn't polished.  Just release something and fulfill the terms of the Kickstarter campaign itself.  That'd probably save their ass in terms of lawsuits.

AI don't think that's going to happen, especially since there's no way of getting rid of the scope without alienating the backers.

The fact that SC is supposed to be this all-in-one dream package is exactly the point. So this cycle is going to keep happening until something forces them to either release the game or cancel it.

Honestly, I think they're just going to release Squadron 42. And when that doesn't become the gigantic hit they're gambling on, they go silent on Star Citizen entirely.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

I don't think that's going to happen, especially since there's no way of getting rid of the scope without alienating the backers.

The fact that SC is supposed to be this all-in-one dream package is exactly the point. So this cycle is going to keep happening until something forces them to either release the game or cancel it.

They can reduce scope without alienating the backers if:

- they release a polished, fun game initially.

- they commit to a release schedule to gradually roll out the other features that backers have paid for.

I get that it's supposed to be an 'all in one' dream package, but that's not smart.  They may be wasting time on features that people won't even use.  Taking an iterative approach is the way to go because then you can take feedback and learn how players are actually using and playing the game before you commit precious dev time to shit that people won't even use.

Moral of the Thread:

Should probably purchase Elite: Dangerous instead.

I miss Elite: Dangerous. But my HOTAS is crapping out on me.  I don't think I can switch to a gamepad or mouse/keyboard at this point.  But right now I can't even get out of a station or land properly because by ship will start spinning unexpectedly at random moments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

I miss Elite: Dangerous. But my HOTAS is crapping out on me.  I don't think I can switch to a gamepad or mouse/keyboard at this point.  But right now I can't even get out of a station or land properly because by ship will start spinning unexpectedly at random moments.

But it's such a good trick!

I will admit, not having a HOTAS has been one of the main things keeping me from picking Elite up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

They can reduce scope without alienating the backers if:

- they release a polished, fun game initially.

- they commit to a release schedule to gradually roll out the other features that backers have paid for.

I get that it's supposed to be an 'all in one' dream package, but that's not smart.  They may be wasting time on features that people won't even use.  Taking an iterative approach is the way to go because then you can take feedback and learn how players are actually using and playing the game before you commit precious dev time to shit that people won't even use.

Of course it's not smart. They should have made sure they had a foundation in place, and released a core game that was fun to play.

Instead, I get the impression that Chris Roberts is what Peter Moleyneux would have been if nobody told him no. There's no big publisher to put their foot down and force them to release something. So Roberts gets to tinker his project...while continually asking money from his backers for a game that isn't even out yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ska Oreo View Post

Instead, I get the impression that Chris Roberts is what Peter Moleyneux would have been if nobody told him no. There's no big publisher to put their foot down and force them to release something.

Which is exactly what happened with Roberts, Microsoft, and Freelancer, IIRC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

But it's such a good trick!

I will admit, not having a HOTAS has been one of the main things keeping me from picking Elite up.

Pfft, you HOTAS babies. I play Elite in VR with a 16 year old Saitek Cyborg 3D and my keyboard and I love it.

AI can't hate on HOTAs owners for loving their hardware peripherals. You'll pry my Razer Naga mouse out of my cold, dead hands.
AI recently picked up Elite Dangerous again using my gamepad, due to my HOTAS crapping out also. Honestly, it plays just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker View Post

When I used a medpack it killed me.

STAR CITIZEN

RETHINK EVERYTHING THAT YOU KNOW.

COMING 3149AD (maybe)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Parker View Post

When I used a medpack it killed me.

You probably forgot that you were playing as an undead character.  Gotta use poison to heal everything and always wear full armor, otherwise town people will get hostile and attack you.

Name that reference

ADammit, I used to know this one...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workyticket View Post

I recently picked up Elite Dangerous again using my gamepad, due to my HOTAS crapping out also. Honestly, it plays just fine.

If you play Elite on a PC, I can't recommend Voice Attack and a voice pack enough, no matter what control device you use.

SO GOOD.

I use ASTRA:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

If you play Elite on a PC, I can't recommend Voice Attack and a voice pack enough, no matter what control device you use.

Did you create little simulacrums of people you know online to employ as your crew?

AFuck, is that who's blackmailing me?
A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/145317/chris-roberts-star-citizen/250#post_4441901"]
Did you create little simulacrums of people you know online to employ as your crew? 
[/quote]

When she was a kid, my sister in law used to name the crew members in Oregon Trail after people she hated and let them die.

I try to stay on her good side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

If I've ever PM'd you, you're one of mine, now! <nerd snort>

Hmmm, you know they do have a lot of sci-fi celebrities doing these voice packs. I should get the William Shatner and Brent Spiner ones together and 'ship them.

Quote:

Quote:

You probably forgot that you were playing as an undead character.  Gotta use poison to heal everything and always wear full armor, otherwise town people will get hostile and attack you.

Name that reference

How would I know that, I still kinda believe in Star Citizen, so that means I have some mental issues. If that game ever comes out though, I'm looking outside for a Unicorn being ridden by a Leprechaun.

I did play it for a few hours last night running missions and it was getting fun. Collecting black boxes from crashed ships, while having to use a torch and seeing dead bodies floating about was kinda cool. Then I made planet fall and my ship glitched into the planet. That was fun.

And the hits keep comin'!:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/cig-holding-s...s-charging

Good Lord.

That's actually detestable. Like the article says, that should be fucking free! These people have kept you in business and this should be your opportunity to show them thanks. Charging them more money? URGH.

A"Let's see just how far we can ride this thing!"
AAnd of course it gets defended with the tried and true, "it supports the game."

Fuck it.

As gross as charging money for fake ships and land is, I could at least give cig the benefit of the doubt that it was all a byproduct of going way over their heads with SC

This move proves they know exactly what they're doing: that they have a bunch of whales who will pay obscene amounts of money for a game that will never come up for the foreseeable future.

Star Citizen deserves to crash and burn.
AIt's like the Trump-era answer to Ion Storm.

Holy shit. These fucking guys are assholes.

And if you weren't angry enough at how blatant this scam is, they raised 34.91 MILLION DOLLARS last year via Kickstarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workyticket View Post

I recently picked up Elite Dangerous again using my gamepad, due to my HOTAS crapping out also. Honestly, it plays just fine.

That's great to kn-

-remembers his 360 controller crapped out-

Oh...

Maybe I should just pick it up for PS4...how's it run on the non-Pro consoles?

Quote:

Quote:

Name that reference

Divinity Original Sin 2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Good Lord.

That's actually detestable. Like the article says, that should be fucking free! These people have kept you in business and this should be your opportunity to show them thanks. Charging them more money? URGH.

They tried something similar a couple of years ago at PAX Aus where they did their big first-person presentation at a concert hall almost at the other side of the CBD, and charged $20 for basically the same experience everyone else was getting in every other dev's panels at the actual event. The only CIG presence at PAX was a tiny, undecorated booth with a small TV playing footage, presumably just so they could say they were 'there'. I mean, that's just 20 bucks but that alone was enough to make me write them off.

This is the only game I've ever seen that releases a big trailer for their ALPHA build!

It may not be representative of the state of the Alpha at the moment, but you've got to admit that it's a pretty cool piece of marketing.

They're great at marketing. They suck at making games.