Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas For Future Drafts
AWTF, Underrated, Comedy, and Villains are all great.

I'll also suggest:

Soundtracks
Thrillers
Sequels
Guilty Pleasures (a great subjective one)
Comic Book/Superhero (probably too few films to go around in the end)
AMartial Arts
Movie Scenes
Remakes
Foreign Movies Music

Base the draft on 5 different pre-determined decades - say, 50's, 70's, 80's, 00's, and the current (partial) decade. Then take 5 pre-determined categories - for example, Black and white, horror, animated, comedy, and Nicholas Cage. Five rounds, you can only use each decade once and each category once.

I love the basic simplicity of the decade drafts, and we never did get to the 40's and 50's.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Yeah, some of these ideas are a little complicated and, what's more, don't seem to lend themselves to competition.

Keep it simple and broad.

Again, I propose comedy as the next topic.

Comedy, imo, is extremely broad and needs some paring down.  I think villains, adaptations, and soundtracks are all good ones.

AYeah, a certain level of scarcity is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

Comedy, imo, is extremely broad and needs some paring down.  I think villains, adaptations, and soundtracks are all good ones.

I don't think comedy is any appreciably broader than science fiction or horror.

I think the key with a comedy draft is that you've got to be able to argue that the film is primarily a comedy, not just a movie that has some funny stuff in it. Otherwise you're really open to pretty much anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

For 1 thing many have seen 100+ movies from the 60's.  Maybe not as many westerns.  How manty tv shows from the 60's have you seen, can name the titles and have the vast majority of drafters seen them.

And will anything pre 90's even be picked?  And if so how many will know it?

I think that's entirely beside the point. Who cares how many 60s TV shows people know if we aren't strictly drafting 60s TV shows. As Schwartz said, that's what the draft is all about. Also, isn't part of the great thing about drafts the fact that you end up with a list of things to go check out?

For the record, with very minimal research and thinking I came up with a list of 70 easily draftable shows (either by the fact that I've seen them and can attest to it or I know the reputation well enough to know it would be picked) and several others that I think would probably fall into someone else's wheelhouse and get drafted. That's a little shallow for the number of people we have in the sci-fi draft, but could probably sustain a 15-20 person draft. If we had more people, we could do individual seasons, though I think that's a little less interesting.

If it were not obvious already, I'm 100% behind a TV draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTyres View Post

Yeah, but the recasts threads are movies you choose, and you have an unlimited pool of actors and time periods from which to pull.   With a narrow field, it is a contest, but just like the drafts, you can go for theme picks. I would never want to make a mumblecore Gone with the Wind, but if that is your cake. The challenge would be the actors. Casting against type and making the argument why Patton Oswalt is really just a hard workout regime away from Rhett Butler could be amazing.

Part of the concept in the other thread was that we'd agree to use one particular film as the subject of the draft. So for instance, if we were doing Casablanca (and employing my wrinkle of running the supporting roles first) Round 1 could be everyone casting their dream actors as Ugarte or Irina... and the final round would be everyone scrambling (perhaps even trading?) to find a good Rick Blaine.

So yeah, I really want to do this one.

I personally would love the casting draft. It's something different and weird and punishingly dorky. If it were to happen, I think you'd need to simplify it as much as possible. Five roles, five actors, grab anyone any day. And yet, at the same time I acknowledge it's pretty far out on the edge, even for us. It might be a fine smaller draft, but it will probably have limited appeal.

Beyond that, I'm down for anything. WTF draft sounds great. So does Comedy. There's tons of comedies, but how many genius ones are there?

Underrated sounds tricky - you could argue that the person with the best final list drafted the least underrated movies. So, you know, the whole game changes. I'm not sold on it. Yet.

Villain draft sounds like something everyone can sink their teeth into. But then, it's also kind of hard to lose that one. There's less scarcity there than for anything else.

The real question though is when would such a draft take place? There was a time when we rushed straight from one draft into the next, legs akimbo, like school children in the first golden days of summer. We were young, and we thought we knew everything. We fucked it up, man. So maybe we look at a late summer spot, make an event of it? We could even sneak in a casting draft for the hardcores in the interim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

The real question though is when would such a draft take place? There was a time when we rushed straight from one draft into the next, legs akimbo, like school children in the first golden days of summer. We were young, and we thought we knew everything. We fucked it up, man. So maybe we look at a late summer spot, make an event of it? We could even sneak in a casting draft for the hardcores in the interim.

I’m open for anything as I’m enjoying the current Draft (especially as it’s my first) but I also think we shouldn’t rush straight into another one simply because SciFi has been so successful. I remember, just before Skyfall came out, we ran a series of Bond knockouts. Having never done a knockout before, I absolutely loved them but I would be lying if I didn’t admit that running several in a row diminished the experience. Keeping it as a late summer event sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post

I'll throw out the idea for a WTF! Movie Draft. The weird, the cult, the simply unexplainable.

LOVE this one as well. Drafting weird culty movies as opposed to scrambling to get the most famous ones sounds like a fun idea.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

Any draft can be a WTF draft. Have you seen some of the picks for the first two rounds of Sci-Fi?

There's a difference between that and people actively trying to draft the weirdest most out-there movies possible.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

The Films of Christopher Lee Draft

We'd probably need about 40 participants to really make it work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisten View Post

The Films of Christopher Lee Draft

We'd probably need about 40 participants to really make it work though.

That was the theme of my horror draft.

Whatever the theme of the next draft, I propose late-July/early August time period.  We'll be in the summer-movie doldrums by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

I don't think comedy is any appreciably broader than science fiction or horror.

It completely is.  Every movie* can essentially be classified as either Comedy or Drama, before you break it down further into sci-fi, horror, mystery, western, romance, action, musical, biopic, superhero, road movie, thriller, fantasy, etc..  And lots of them have strong enough elements of both, such that I think it would be difficult to come up with a definition of Comedy that would not leave at least half of all movies ever made eligible.

*I suppose you could make another category for documentaries, but I'm trying to make a point here, pedant-in-my-head!

Documentary would be a good idea for a future draft.

AWTF would be fun, though I think we'd need to figure out what the actual goal is. Because the best of cult cinema is well-loved and established, and if people are just going for most obscure it's going to be a hundred movies that, at best, only two other Chewers have seen. Not a great environment for actual discussion.

WTF could devolve really quickly into a 'Bad Taste' draft.  I like the idea in concept, though.

AHow bout composers score

Romance Draft. Challenging!

Quote:

I like that one, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilla7 View Post

How bout composers score

I quite like this idea.

Quote:

Throwing a different idea out there.

Keep the the groups of drafters concept in the current draft, but assign the groups different letters or words? and have them pick the best movie that ....

started with that letter.

It could make for some interesting random debates about movies, like

Fargo v Frankenstein

Children of Men v Casablanca

It is just a simple Best OF kind of thing tho, not quite as competitive as other drafts.

The Casting Draft did have the rule that you had to fill out roles for a specific movie, and I feel like that allows for some healthy debates and arguments.

I'm just going to reiterate that I think it's best to draft films.  These other things seem like fun games, and I'd gladly participate in them, but a draft is pretty rare (and should be two to three times a year max), and I think picking whole movies leads to more interesting discussion than, say, picking villains or vehicles or some such thing.

But on a smaller scale all these other ideas (like casting games, for example) would be fun things we could potentially do more frequently.  Especially if they're structured slightly differently than a draft.

The main thing is someone taking the ball and running with it.  That's what Kirby did, and that's now what Arjen is doing.  Rather than just everybody throwing out ideas and trying to reach a consensus, just come up with your own thing and try to implement it.  If it doesn't work out, who really cares?  I tried to do drafts a couple different times, and they didn't get much interest, but someone else eventually did and that's all that really matters.

AHow about an Awards draft.

Any film nominated for an Academy Award is up for grabs.

If that makes the list too big it could be excluded to the biggie nominations like Screenplay, Best actor/actress (as well as supporting actor/actress) , Director and Picture.

Movies that feature the weather phenomenon known as 'the wind' as some sort of malevolent entity.

The Draught Draft.

*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisten View Post

Movies that feature the weather phenomenon known as 'the wind' as some sort of malevolent entity.

The Draught Draft.

*cough*

THE HAPPENING!

AI just had an idea, I think this was done a long time ago, but it might be worth repeating.

A Video Game draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I just had an idea, I think this was done a long time ago, but it might be worth repeating.

A Video Game draft.

2008, hosted by Tati.

http://www.chud.com/community/t/112371/v...discussion

http://www.chud.com/community/t/112418/v...raft-lists

http://www.chud.com/community/t/112417/b...hosen-list

Looks like there was one back in 2002 as well