Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas For Future Drafts

Vietnam War films featuring soldiers called up against their will to fight for their country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisten View Post

Movies that feature the weather phenomenon known as 'the wind' as some sort of malevolent entity.

The Draught Draft.

*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post

THE HAPPENING!

...SLIPSTREAM!!!

A western draft was suggested, I think that needs to happen.

AI honestly don't know enough westerns (worth drafting) to make it through five rounds with this competition.

Consider it an opportunity to broaden your horizons?  Or maybe we could do three rounds?  I've got enough for five, but I like the genre.

Yeah, I've got enough for 5, too.

Probably the EXACT same 5 as everyone else.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/147438/ideas-for-future-drafts/50#post_3492709"]
2008, hosted by Tati.

http://www.chud.com/community/t/112371/v...discussion
http://www.chud.com/community/t/112418/v...raft-lists
http://www.chud.com/community/t/112417/b...hosen-list

Looks like there was one back in 2002 as well
[/quote]

Well next year then. It will add a nice bit of symmatry if we have a video game draft every six years, might also show us if classics still hold sway or if the modern story driven games are finally beginning to gain favor in our nostalgic memories of gaming.

I wouldn't mind a western draft, but it is a genre I'm not totally well versed in so I feel I'll be struggling by the 3rd or 4th rounds, which isn't necessarily a bad reason to go in search of the few lesser known gems of the genre.

Has there ever been a war film draft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

I honestly don't know enough westerns (worth drafting) to make it through five rounds with this competition.

Well... It might be more wide open if people get creative.

I mean, there are some pretty interesting picks in this sci-fi draft.

It depends on how you decide to define a "western."

Is Yojimbo a "western"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erix View Post

Well... It might be more wide open if people get creative.

I mean, there are some pretty interesting picks in this sci-fi draft.

It depends on how you decide to define a "western."

I actually think that, at least with straightforward topics like westerns or sci-fi, less creativity may actually be better.  If we get everyone trying to dazzle each other with our outside-the-box genre definitions, we'll end up with a bunch of lists that don't actually represent that genre very well.

AVillians and musical score both sound like fun drafts.

I was just looking back on the 70's draft, which, for me, was the most fun era of films to pick from.  It was five years ago now (damn), and, by my count, only 8 of the people who participated in the SciFi draft also took part in the 70's draft (Eileen, Patrick, Dickson, Justin, Ratty, Anya, Hammerhead, and Me.)  So, if people were game for another draft after a little hiatus, we could do worse than revisiting arguably the greatest decade in film history.  I would also be eager for the 40's or 50's, which we've never done, but if people didn't feel as familiar with those, I mean, everybody at least loves the 70's, right?  (Feel free to express that... but, for the love of god, don't name any titles.  Just in case.)

Agree, the 70's would be an interesting draft to revisit. I hate that i missed out on it.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I'd be all over doing a 70s draft.  I regret missing that one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

I was just looking back on the 70's draft, which, for me, was the most fun era of films to pick from.  It was five years ago now (damn), and, by my count, only 8 of the people who participated in the SciFi draft also took part in the 70's draft (Eileen, Patrick, Dickson, Justin, Ratty, Anya, Hammerhead, and Me.)  So, if people were game for another draft after a little hiatus, we could do worse than revisiting arguably the greatest decade in film history.  I would also be eager for the 40's or 50's, which we've never done, but if people didn't feel as familiar with those, I mean, everybody at least loves the 70's, right?  (Feel free to express that... but, for the love of god, don't name any titles.  Just in case.)

Ahem, 9 people that are still here took part in the 70's draft.

I'd really like to do the 50s. The 60s turned out a lot stronger than I think anyone imagined, we're a resourceful lot, and I'd like to get in one more decade draft before 70s redux. Heck, the science fiction draft had no shortage of 50s movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin View Post

Ahem, 9 people that are still here took part in the 70's draft.

When I double checked Kirby's "Draft Order" list, I didn't see you on it.  But, of course, you're there in the draft itself. So, sorry (I thought I carefully made sure I didn't leave anybody out, too!)  Oh well, consider it payback for the 80's draft... fucker!

what did you use to search for the 70's draft?  can't find it

I just went back a number of pages in the Drafts & Lists Forum.  It was on page 7.  Here's the discussion thread.

I see now.  I went back too and saw 00's, 80's, 90's, 60's but no 70's.  It was just movie draft.  I still like my draft.

I was in 70s draft too! I took The Shining and The Man Who Would Be King, like a fucking man.

In my defense, I submit this post.  Sorry to the dozens of others I assuredly missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

I was in 70s draft too! I took The Shining and The Man Who Would Be King, like a fucking man.

I was left with The Godfather and The Sting.

researching picks should be easy though.

I'd honestly kill to do a 70s draft redux.

Ahow bout a 90s draft

We did the 90's only a little over 2 years ago, and more people from this draft participated in that one.  Plus, the 70's are better than the 90's anyway.

Besides, we have Judas' pledge to kill for a 70's draft.  He's like our own personal Jaqen H'ghar.  We just have to come up with a name.

In honor of Roger Ebert, a Movies Ebert Hated draft.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

As Bailey is doing such a good job at promoting the return of the 70's draft, I'll raise my hand and say "I'm interested!"

Bailey just wants to see me go to prison.

We all do, Judas. YOU KILLED JESUS CHRIST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

We all do, Judas. YOU KILLED JESUS CHRIST.

Dude, the Sci Fi draft is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Dude, the Sci Fi draft is over.

*Wipes a tear from eye* I know. I know.

Anyway, I'm definitely up for a 70's draft. Damn shame that I missed that era of cinema, really.

There were 10 decent ideas in this thread that haven't been done before.  Why go to reruns?

Thinking about a way to dial it up with my proposed Villains draft:  Following the draft itself, we could do a tourney (think March Madness) with our individual lists squaring off one against the other.  Each pairing would be voted upon by the Chewers to decide which team of villains would most likely defeat the other.  Finally, only one Chewers' list would remain standing and his team of villains would be declared the ultimate badasses.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

There were 10 decent ideas in this thread that haven't been done before.  Why go to reruns?

First of all, I am not advocating reruns.  I'd love to draft from an earlier era.  It's just that anytime I (or someone else) has ever mentioned the idea, there seemed to be very little interest.

Second, as I've said, drafts get dull if you do a ton of them.  And drafting movies is way more interesting than drafting characters or scores or stuff like that.

And finally, I've already argued why I think using decades is a better system than genres.  I simply don't like all the quibbling over if something qualifies, or is in the "spirit" of the draft.  Just my opinion.