Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas For Future Drafts
(08-18-2021, 03:10 PM)hammerhead Wrote: Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast is definitely in the "love" column.

He was good.

(08-18-2021, 03:12 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: And also Rickman as Marvin.

He should have been a home run but all of the timing of his lines felt off. Then again, the comedic timing of the entire film felt off. The books themselves are funny due to the rhythm of the language; the film fails to understand this and tries to be manic. Remember the great scene in the book where Ford talks to the bulldozer guy and has him lay in the mud instead of Arthur? Let's instead replace that with Ford showing up and throwing beer cans around. I think Mos Def was miscast anyways but I don't think even John Belushi could have made that scene work.

Also, this must be brought up: somebody thought it would be funny to have a character squeeze lemons into Zaphod's brain. Conceptually, it's not funny. In execution, it's even worse. It's a jaw droppingly bad scene that stands out in a movie full of bad scenes.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
There's just something about British comedy that doesn't work when Americans do it.

Which makes Kevin Kline and Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda all the more amazing.
Just this guy, you know?
Rickman's take on Marvin emphasized the "depressed" aspect of the character, to the point where the poor thing sounded like he was just barely hanging on. But it lost his essential "snooty butler" rudeness.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I like Hitchhiker, but I've also got a suggestion that I know will catch some flak. How about the Suicide Squad?
X-MEN ‘92
(08-19-2021, 12:03 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: X-MEN ‘92

X-MEN '32
X-MEN 2032

Willow Smith as Storm
I’m not going to defend the Hitchhiker’s film ardently but I will say this about it: the effects, Rockwell and Nighy are upgrades. The presentation and tonal changes also make for a good entry point for children whose media experiences are shinier and more manic than the stuff I ingested through my ears and eyeballs in early 80s brown and grey England. Which in turn caught their attention and led them to engage with and enjoy the original radio series, TV show and books much more than I think they would have done had their first experience been as lo-fi as those works are. At the end of the day, a whale having an existential awakening on a fatal planetary re-entry is funny no matter which way you do it.
Oh god, Rockwell is one of my least favorite things in the movie.
Just this guy, you know?

I came up with some picks for a potential 80s X-Men draft ages ago so it would be nice to finally use them.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
(08-19-2021, 05:28 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Oh god, Rockwell is one of my least favorite things in the movie.

Agreed.  He should've been a grand slam but he was completely misused.  Zaphod is supposed to be 'too cool for the room'...Sam plays him like an arrogant, scatterbrained meth head.

And again, they squeeze fucking lemons into his brain.  Someone actually thought that would work and be funny.
The 30s draft got me thinking that we should do WIZARD OF OZ some day. But, I'd be down for either HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE or some iteration of X-MEN.

(08-19-2021, 12:19 AM)Judas Booth Wrote:

X-MEN '32

Primo Carnera as Juggernaut.
A 1930s MCU draft?
We already did Avengers!
A 1930s DCU draft?

The issues the site is having with attachments would play hell with getting the feel of our drafts.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(08-19-2021, 05:28 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Oh god, Rockwell is one of my least favorite things in the movie.

Bah! 

Zaphod primary characteristic is his ability to attract all the attention in the room. Not necessarily be the coolest. I thought the explanation for the second head was fun too. 

I’ll take Rockwell over the indifferent version in the TV series.
Rockwell was a good choice for American casting, but a head inside a head is NOT "two heads."
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(08-20-2021, 11:25 AM)hammerhead Wrote: Rockwell was a good choice for American casting, but a head inside a head is NOT "two heads."

And it's not funny.
So we gonna do Hithchiker's?
Seems to be down to that or X-Men. I'll gladly run Hitchhiker's if that's the consensus.
Just this guy, you know?
I'm a big fan of the Hitchhiker idea.
I'd also still be into that.

Hi, Ruby!
count me in on HITCHHIKER. Any of us could come up with something superior to the film that we got.
I got a good idea for it. Let's do it.
I'll be glad to run it. My idea for the roles would be:

-- Arthur
-- Ford
-- Zaphod
-- Trillian
-- Marvin
-- Slartifbartfast
-- The Guide
-- Any 3 characters from any iteration of HHGTTG. The books, the radio shows, the BBC series, the movie, the computer game, all fair game.

Thoughts?
Just this guy, you know?
I know who I'm casting as Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz.
I know where my towel is.
I'll get a sign-up/discussion thread going here in a bit. What's a good start date for folks? Sign-ups next week and start on Monday the 20th?
Just this guy, you know?
Works for me.
(09-08-2021, 10:19 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'll be glad to run it. My idea for the roles would be:

-- Arthur
-- Ford
-- Zaphod
-- Trillian
-- Marvin
-- Slartifbartfast
-- The Guide
-- Any 3 characters from any iteration of HHGTTG. The books, the radio shows, the BBC series, the movie, the computer game, all fair game.

Thoughts?
I'd make Deep Thought a required character.
(09-09-2021, 08:36 PM)atomtastic Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 10:19 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'll be glad to run it.  My idea for the roles would be:

-- Arthur
-- Ford
-- Zaphod
-- Trillian
-- Marvin
-- Slartifbartfast
-- The Guide
-- Any 3 characters from any iteration of HHGTTG.  The books, the radio shows, the BBC series, the movie, the computer game, all fair game.

Thoughts?
I'd make Deep Thought a required character.

I was thinking about that, so yeah, those 8 and then two wild cards.
Just this guy, you know?
Okay, sign-up/discussion thread is up.
Just this guy, you know?