Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fox News - this is not satire
(05-20-2021, 11:38 AM)bradito Wrote: Conservatives believe that Hollywood types are all wealthy elitists who don't actually "work hard," despite the grueling schedules involved in film and television production that routinely require people to work 12-hour days, six days per week, often long distances from home for months on end.

Instead, they think it's all parties, red carpets and awards shows, where stars celebrate their stardom and remain completely out of touch with everyday Americans. Never mind the fact that this town is compromised primarily of transplants from other cites, states and/or countries, so we're surrounded by millions of people from all walks of life and all economic backgrounds, hustling every day to find success in an incredibly competitive and unfair industry.

But yes, we're incredibly naive about the state of the affairs in this country because we didn't end up a bunch of 300-pound racist townies who never left Dumpster, Oklahoma, and think the military is in control of the government because some sex pervert on 8chan is actually CIA and knows what's up.

Listen Conservatives are bullshit about celebrities because the moment any of them lean their way they embrace them. But to act like celebrities have their fingers on the pulse of America is silly. Conservatives are technically right but if Sean Penn of whoever decided they were Conservative tomorrow they line up to suck his dick.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
This is why you see so many knucklehead sports heroes in TV commercials now. Even though they have the charisma of a tree, can only read at a fourth grade level, and they talk like they have a mouth full of oatmeal, at least they're not gross movie stars. But they're still *famous*.
(05-20-2021, 12:52 PM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 11:38 AM)bradito Wrote: Conservatives believe that Hollywood types are all wealthy elitists who don't actually "work hard," despite the grueling schedules involved in film and television production that routinely require people to work 12-hour days, six days per week, often long distances from home for months on end.

Instead, they think it's all parties, red carpets and awards shows, where stars celebrate their stardom and remain completely out of touch with everyday Americans. Never mind the fact that this town is compromised primarily of transplants from other cites, states and/or countries, so we're surrounded by millions of people from all walks of life and all economic backgrounds, hustling every day to find success in an incredibly competitive and unfair industry.

But yes, we're incredibly naive about the state of the affairs in this country because we didn't end up a bunch of 300-pound racist townies who never left Dumpster, Oklahoma, and think the military is in control of the government because some sex pervert on 8chan is actually CIA and knows what's up.

Listen Conservatives are bullshit about celebrities because the moment any of them lean their way they embrace them. But to act like celebrities have their fingers on the pulse of America is silly. Conservatives are technically right but if Sean Penn of whoever decided they were Conservative tomorrow they line up to suck his dick.
There's a lot of things Conservatives are technically right about.  But they go about it in the worse way possible because they have no interests other than maintaining power.

Also..Joe Rogan is pretty much all that needs to be said.  An absolute fucking moron who tricked millions of people who think his opinions are worth a damn.  Just because we over value the opinions of rich mediocre white men.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
The other day, I asked myself, "What's my favorite Joe Rogan joke?" and I couldn't think of fuckin' anything. I've seen him live, and still I think that the only noteworthy thing he did as a comic was call out Carlos Mencia... who didn't even steal from him.

This is also true about Bill Maher, apart from the Mencia thing.

But they found their niche in leveraging their skills as fairly mediocre headliners to mesmerize other non-college graduates (or people who didn't learn shit in college). But ultimately, they just convince dopes that having a strong opinion about a topic you don't fully understand still makes your point of view "valid" somehow.
How did Joe Rogan even happen? Was he just a 'right time / right place' situation? Still feels insane to me that the most popular podcast on the planet is some beefy doofus asking legitimately influential figures if they've ever tried DMT. How did we get here?
He liver kicked his way up.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I blame 90% of the people I went to college with.
After I stopped commuting, I stopped listening to podcasts, and... I can't really say that I miss them. I didn't even listen to Rogan, but the medium just seems oversaturated at this point. Honestly, I don't really need to listen to another interview with anyone about anything ever again. I'm good!
Do you want to come on my podcast and talk about it?

Absolutely!
Get in line, Brad has to guest on our podcast first.
(05-20-2021, 01:50 PM)bradito Wrote: The other day, I asked myself, "What's my favorite Joe Rogan joke?" and I couldn't think of fuckin' anything. I've seen him live, and still I think that the only noteworthy thing he did as a comic was call out Carlos Mencia... who didn't even steal from him.

This is also true about Bill Maher, apart from the Mencia thing.

But they found their niche in leveraging their skills as fairly mediocre headliners to mesmerize other non-college graduates (or people who didn't learn shit in college). But ultimately, they just convince dopes that having a strong opinion about a topic you don't fully understand still makes your point of view "valid" somehow.

Oh shit I totally forgot that happened.  

But yeah you're dead on.  I mean I have friends who do listen to him, and as far as I'm concern seem to leave it as mindless entertainment.  But it's the dude bros you see who go out of their way to defend the man, that fit this to a fucking T.  Like if there's a Venn Diagram between Rogan's dude bro army and the weird nerds who defend Elon Musk--it's basically just one big circle.

I listen to podcasts, and I watch youtubers, and they are creatives that I like. But what I can never get my head around are people's need to worship "celebrities."   Like, I've never got that.   If a person I liked was found out to be a child molester, I would drop that motherfucker so fast because at the end of the day--he means nothing to me.  I don't know him. He doesn't know me. The fact that people get weird about this shit always bugs me.

(05-20-2021, 01:56 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: How did Joe Rogan even happen?  Was he just a 'right time / right place' situation?  Still feels insane to me that the most popular podcast on the planet is some beefy doofus asking legitimately influential figures if they've ever tried DMT.   How did we get here?
I'm pretty sure he was with UFC right when that shit blew up.  So yeah: right place / right time.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
Fox News can't go a week without some insane take that no one saw coming:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/fox-news-g...accinated/

Quote:On Wednesday, a public transit worker allegedly shot eight people to death and then himself in a rail yard in San Jose, California. The suspect, 57-year-old Sam James Cassidy, worked for the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, which serves San Jose and Silicon Valley.

During Fox News’s live coverage of massacre, former NYPD detective Pat Brosnan made an utterly bizarre statement in which he claimed that getting the Covid-19 vaccine will somehow embolden would-be mass shooters.

Anchor Harris Faulkner began by asking Brosnan about the close proximity of a sheriff’s office next door to the rail yard and asked him how that might have made a difference in terms of the speed and nature of the police’s response to the shooting.

Brosnan gave a weird and barely intelligible response in which he sarcastically referenced “the summer of love 2020,” an allusion to the mass protests that happened across the country in the wake of the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer. Brosnan seemed to argued that supposedly lax law enforcement has sent a message to potential mass shooters that “crimes are no longer illegal”:

"I think there would be more nuanced response in terms of opening a shooting – an active shooting – right next door to where there’s a load of armed professional shooters under law enforcement. But the rules have changed, you know? Crimes are no longer illegal. There’s no longer enforcement of lots of laws and there’s an empowerment of these active shooters."

Then in the very next breath, Brosnan suggested that would-be shooters “were scared to come out” before the Covid-19 vaccine became available:

"And you know, Harris, this is a time that I wish I was wrong with my prediction, which I mention to anybody who’d listen, that once Covid starts to lift, these cowardly shooters will come out exactly in tandem with the number of vaccinations. You can be sure they probably got vaccinated. They were just scared to come out. And they’re coming back, and you see the numbers don’t lie. The shootings are up dramatically – skyrocketing, actually – on active shootings throughout the United States as we’ve come through this pandemic. It’s really terrifying stuff."
America... if Covid doesn't kill you, the stray bullets will.
What the ever loving fuck?

I know what they're doing, since the mandate is to now pretend the country is a lawless country because of BLM, ignoring that despite the spikes of violence, that violent crimes in general has steadily been decreasing. But man...this is duuuuumb.
If you're wondering where this bullshit comes from...

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/statu...5712029696

[Image: E2b0dwfWQAI7-gW?format=jpg&name=small]

...here's your explanation:

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/stat...3070685189

Quote:This segment happened because there was a viral right-wing outrage campaign today over an anonymous question to a Slate advice columnist written by someone named "Maskless and Alone."
So that's why my neighborhood glory hole has been disappointing lately.
(05-20-2021, 06:14 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 01:56 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: How did Joe Rogan even happen?  Was he just a 'right time / right place' situation?  Still feels insane to me that the most popular podcast on the planet is some beefy doofus asking legitimately influential figures if they've ever tried DMT.   How did we get here?
I'm pretty sure he was with UFC right when that shit blew up.  So yeah: right place / right time.

Right time and place is definitely part of it, although both Maron (who got big fast through guests like Robin Williams, Carlos Mencia and Louis CK) and Carolla (who brought his large radio audience with him) kicked off around the same time and in the same place.

Rogan came in with a decent profile built through Fear Factor and the UFC, but the main thing that pushed him out front of his peers is his energy - that goofy, potentially endearing passion he somehow (TRT? THC? DMT?) is constantly able to generate for pretty much any topic. That and the way his show, with its hang-out feel, somehow has both a more intimate and a more chill vibe than the more traditional formats of Maron and Carolla's things.
I have a lot of friends who do listen to Joe Rogan, and it's largely that "hang-out" feel that people like. Same reason why people like Howard Stern.  And to an extent, I get that (though what I don't get is anyone interested enough to listen to 3 hours worth of podcasting).  It's one of those cases where I wouldn't really care of Rogan stayed in his lane; the fact that he consistently and increasingly wanders into topics he has no clue about is irresponsible and dangerous.  

You're an idiot, fine--then hire people to fact check so you can figure out how to approach certain political figures.  There are plenty of things he can do, but he doesn't because he feels he has no responsiblilty towards his audience. Despite that it's only his audience that gives him the wealth he currently enjoys.
I've never been a regular JRE listener myself and the eps I do select to listen to are rarely the more political ones (I did try to listen to his most recent Alex Jones ep but couldn't make it more than 10 minutes in before pulling the eject levers) so I don't have much of a take on how he handles that stuff. I can say that even among the fandom of MMA, one of maybe two arenas in which one might expect that he'd be considered some kind of authority, Rogan is routinely mocked (albeit mostly affectionately) for how often he gets things wrong while commentating on fights. Even in that space - one in which he has literal decades of experience and training to a very high level - tons of his listeners don't necessarily take what he says as anything close to gospel truth.

It's impossible to know of course, but it'd be fascinating to have some idea of the percentage of Rogan's audience that is actually swayed by anything he and/or his guests says vs those who just roll his episodes as pleasant background accompaniment while wasting fools in Halo or doing the dishes. Or re-stringing their hunting bows I guess.
It isn't necessarily being swayed so much as it is an "authority" voice giving them license to publicly support shitty, poorly-informed positions on important issues. Rogan may not be smart, but he's popular. And that seems to be license enough for a lot of people to let their dipshit flag fly high.
Being swayed by someone and considering them an authority are intrinsically linked though. I'm asking who considers him an authority. That's why I pointed out that even in the MMA world - a world in which one might expect him to be considered an expert - he's not considered much of an authority by fans. The role he fills as a commentator is more like that of a fan avatar. On MMA forums he's regularly made fun of for stuff he gets wrong or for missing obvious details. So who is going to cite Rogan when it comes to stuff about which he has no claim to expertise? If the only answer is dipshits, those are people who don't need to lean on Rogan to be dipshits. Take it from a dipshit.
It's honestly pretty hilarious that the One Thing you think he'd be an expert about is something that he still can't do correctly.

Dude failed up!

When's he running for President?
I've also never heard him say anything funny on his podcast, and yet he's a professional funny guy too. I remember years ago thinking his stand-up was solid enough, but I haven't seen any for a long time so no idea if I'd still get anything out of it.

To be fair, in spite of his many, many cock ups as a commentator he's still popular with MMA fans because he does fill that "fan stand-in" type role well, and that mostly comes back to what I was yapping about in that earlier post - for many people his enthusiasm is infectious and somewhat endearing. At least twice I can recall him being so emotional while interviewing a fighter in the cage after they've won a title that he's choked up while talking to them. My sense is that people who enjoy him do so less because he knows anything much about anything much and more because he's seen as celebrity who's relatable and a "regular guy", albeit one who's built like a mini gorilla.
The fans aren't all experts? Are you sure they're fans??
Of course. That's part of why they love pointing out how wrong Rogan often is.
If you're a fan but not an expert, you're a #FakeFan!
I'm skeptical of any argument that "sure millions of people listen to this guy every day, but none of them really listen to him."
I think they're all #FakeFans!
(05-29-2021, 12:11 AM)schwartz Wrote: I'm skeptical of any argument that "sure millions of people listen to this guy every day, but none of them really listen to him."

Same. Give me a call if you see someone make that argument.
TIL that I watch movies like Joe Rogan does everything else. Although I don't think my enthusiasm is nearly as infectious..

You watch movies sitting in front of a microphone?
Maybe I do! It's just for show though. I want to feel important..

(05-29-2021, 01:47 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 12:11 AM)schwartz Wrote: I'm skeptical of any argument that "sure millions of people listen to this guy every day, but none of them really listen to him."

That’s literally the opinion Freeman was using to defend Rogan in the discords, and I’ve seen that argument multiple times in blog threads and YouTube comments that Rogan fans are smart enough not to listen to him—despite the fact they listen to him.

I try to avoid painting Rogan fans with a generalized brush because I have plenty of friends listen to him myself. So I know it’s not a case of only “incels” who listen to him.  However, there is a small subset of “Roganites” who very much are of the toxic mindset of treating Rogan’s word as gospel, go out of their way to hunt down and harass people who dare criticize him, and hide behind “he’s a democrat” to avoid the very valid criticisms of Rogan’s tendencies to use to culture wars to deny any accountability.  Sure it might not be the majority of his fans, but it only needs to be a loud minority to be a problem.
(05-30-2021, 01:41 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 01:47 PM)Bucho Wrote:

That’s literally the opinion Freeman was using to defend Rogan in the discords, and I’ve seen that argument multiple times in blog threads and YouTube comments that Rogan fans are smart enough not to listen to him—despite the fact they listen to him.

I try to avoid painting Rogan fans with a generalized brush because I have plenty of friends listen to him myself. So I know it’s not a case of only “incels” who listen to him.  However, there is a small subset of “Roganites” who very much are of the toxic mindset of treating Rogan’s word as gospel, go out of their way to hunt down and harass people who dare criticize him, and hide behind “he’s a democrat” to avoid the very valid criticisms of Rogan’s tendencies to use to culture wars to deny any accountability.  Sure it might not be the majority of his fans, but it only needs to be a loud minority to be a problem.

I was mostly getting at Schwartz's goofily absolutist "none of them" thing in response to my SHARPLY NUANCED "So who is going to cite Rogan when it comes to stuff about which he has no claim to expertise? If the only answer is dipshits, those are people who don't need to lean on Rogan to be dipshits" thing but I get where you're coming from.