Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Xbox One thread (XB1)

Whoa...  Who knew I'd be the one to resurrect this thread for the second time?  Oh well...

Anyway.  I like my Xbone, even if I'm not a huge fan of the UI right now.  I use my PS4 MUCH more so no wonder I'm not too comfortable with the ins and outs of the Xbone yet.  Looking forward to the UI redesign that seems to be coming eventually.  But, to keep myself from a rambling diatribe I'll get to the point.  The controllers can drive me crazy sometimes.

Specifically, I mean I frequently have trouble getting a paired controller to stay paired.  I used to think it was a lack of use kind of thing, but I recently got another controller with the built in headphone jack and had the same issue.  I'd try to turn the system on with the controller and sometimes it just didn't work.  There would be times where the controller would turn on and act as if it was paired but no dice.  No control.  No input. It's kind of silly and kind of annoying.  More than once I've used a direct USB connection to get it going.  But this morning that wasn't even working, so I browsed an xbox forum where it seemed people were having similar issues.  One guy said he contacted support and they weren't very helpful.  Another guy said he unplugged the system and that did the trick.  I tried that and it seems to have worked.  Fingers crossed.

So, in the end...  What the HELL, Microsoft?

Also...  Halo 4 is still super pretty.

A[quote name="Rich Straceski" url="/community/t/149583/the-xbox-one-thread-xb1#post_3932617"]Whoa...  Who knew I'd be the one to resurrect this thread for the second time?  Oh well...

Anyway.  I like my Xbone, even if I'm not a huge fan of the UI right now.  I use my PS4 MUCH more so no wonder I'm not too comfortable with the ins and outs of the Xbone yet.  Looking forward to the UI redesign that seems to be coming eventually.  But, to keep myself from a rambling diatribe I'll get to the point.  The controllers can drive me crazy sometimes.

Specifically, I mean I frequently have trouble getting a paired controller to stay paired.  I used to think it was a lack of use kind of thing, but I recently got another controller with the built in headphone jack and had the same issue.  I'd try to turn the system on with the controller and sometimes it just didn't work.  There would be times where the controller would turn on and act as if it was paired but no dice.  No control.  No input. It's kind of silly and kind of annoying.  More than once I've used a direct USB connection to get it going.  But this morning that wasn't even working, so I browsed an xbox forum where it seemed people were having similar issues.  One guy said he contacted support and they weren't very helpful.  Another guy said he unplugged the system and that did the trick.  I tried that and it seems to have worked.  Fingers crossed.

So, in the end...  What the HELL, Microsoft?

Also...  Halo 4 is still super pretty.
[/quote]

Hmm...I have had my Xbone since launch, and I haven't had that problem. I did have the HDMI in port system on my box go bad, which is annoying, as I actually used the tv features with Kinect. Still, it is no RRoD or anything.

As for the UI, the xbone one has issues, but I despise the PS4 one. That endless bar of apps? Hate it. There is so much wasted space. I never loved the XMB on the PS3, but it felt a lot more functional. In fairness, I barely play my PS4, as I play almost all multi-plat games on my PC, and those that don't come out on PS4 (mostly sports games), I get for Xbone. Other than a couple games of Rocket League, I haven't turned my PS4 on since I beat Bloodborne a few months ago. I only say all of this because I find the differences in cosole usage between people interesting, since the consoles themselves are not particularly dissimilar.
AHave you hooked the controllers up with usb and done the firmware updates?

I love my new Xbone. I am trying to finish Batman, so I can move on to something else. Only have a few games, but I am enjoying it. I hooked up Assassin's Creed Unity this past weekend after getting it on the cheap at Target. I hate what I have played so far, but that might change. I am sucker for these games. I have beaten and played every one of them on the 360, but something about this one feels wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Have you hooked the controllers up with usb and done the firmware updates?

I had done the update on the original controller but not my new one yet.  I only got it a couple of days ago so I haven't had a chance to do it yet.  I'll do it soon.

COULD432, I prefer the basic simplicity of the PS4 XMB to the Xbone UI, but that's just me.  I still use the B button on the Xbone the wrong way sometimes and end up launching stuff with it.  It just confuses me every now and then.  Ha!  In the end, I'm just happy to play good games wherever they may be... assuming I can find the time.

So I've gotten Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, my XB1 set up, and my free trial of Xbox Live going--anyone up for some co-op?

Buying it BF. Loving Halo 5 MP and I'm not a big MP player.
AEvery day after getting home from the commute, excluding last Tuesday, Xbox Live has been down for me these past 7 days. What a fucking shit show of a service. And this was after Snoop called out Bill Gates on youtube.

I tried to play Dragon Age: Inquisition last night and kept getting booted out of the game.  Because service was disrupted.  And I needed to be online to enjoy my single player experience.

Oh well.

In all seriousness though, I did ponder on the logistics of this mess.  I was playing via a downloaded version of the game from EA Access.  Is THAT why I needed the online connection?  Or is it an EA thing, and this would happen even if I was playing off a retail disc?  But whatever.  I'll try again another time.

AEveryone needs to play Rocket League on X1.

So simple...so friggin addicting.
A[quote name="Rich Straceski" url="/community/t/149583/the-xbox-one-thread-xb1#post_4022258"]I tried to play Dragon Age: Inquisition last night and kept getting booted out of the game.  Because service was disrupted.  And I needed to be online to enjoy my single player experience.

Oh well.

In all seriousness though, I did ponder on the logistics of this mess.  I was playing via a downloaded version of the game from EA Access.  Is THAT why I needed the online connection?  Or is it an EA thing, and this would happen even if I was playing off a retail disc?  But whatever.  I'll try again another time.  
[/quote]

So first thing you need to do is go to Settings -> Personalization -> My Home Xbox. Then make sure your console is tagged as your "home xbox" which allows you to play your digital games when offline.

Then go to Network Settings -> Go Offline, manually kick your xbox offline so it doesn't do any of those authentication checks.

This works on games you purely own digitally bought with your own money. But I did a check with my EA Access stuff and because it can't authenticate with the third party EA servers while offline that doesn't work for your loaner games. So until Microsoft sorts their shit, no Dragon Age for you.

Awesome!  Thanks mongycore!  I'll tinker with the settings later.  I have plenty of other stuff that your tips will help with down the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamclane99 View Post

Everyone needs to play Rocket League on X1.

So simple...so friggin addicting.

Buying it this weekend when I have my kids.  They will go nutz over it.

A XB1 console came up locally for sale for only $100, 500 GB.

includes 1 controller

Is there a list someplace of XB1 exclusive games?

stuff that's not available on PS4

I already have a PS4 & just want to see what I'm missing before making the purchase...

and is a $100 a pretty good deal?

AThis site here got you bro.

Highlights:

Forza Horizon 2 & 3
Forza Motorsport 5 & 6
Gears of War 4
Halo 5
Halo Masterchief Collection
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest (original or definitive edition)
Killer Instinct (3 seasons of content available)
Rare Replay
FRU (Kinect Required Title)
Fantasia (Kinect Required)
Halo Wars 1 & 2
Dead Rising 3 & 4
Recore
Ryse
Quantum Break
Astroneer (early access)
Cities Skylines
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Dance Central (Kinect Only)
Everspace (is this on PS4? It might be now)
Forza Horizon 2 Fast and the Furious (this was free last year, not sure if they're charging for it now)
Max Curse of the Brotherhood
Phantom Dust
Slime Rancher (early access)
The Solus Project
Subnautica (early access)
AI got an Xbox One X. The disc drive on my old XBox has been broken for months, and I landed a bit of freelance design cash, so I figured why not.

I'll let you guys know how it is in six or seven hours when it's done updating and installing a single game.
AOhhh cool. Check out the Forza Motorsport 7 demo. I hear Halo 5 and Gears 4 look great too.

I'm giving my XBox S to my old Gears crew. They've had a couple of kids in the last year, bought a house, and can't justify plunking down a few hundred on a console anymore. So they can get Gears 4 for $20 on XBL, not have to fuss with the broken disc drive, and maybe we can reclaim our old game night from back in the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

I'm giving my XBox S to my old Gears crew. They've had a couple of kids in the last year, bought a house, and can't justify plunking down a few hundred on a console anymore. So they can get Gears 4 for $20 on XBL, not have to fuss with the broken disc drive, and maybe we can reclaim our old game night from back in the day.

If they have kids do Game Pass.  It has Gears 4, Halo 5, and 100 other games.  It's an amazing deal for 9 bucks a month.