Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fargo

10 episodes, premieres April 15th on FX

By what magic did they manage this casting? Even if it is terrible, I have to watch it.

wrong thread!

They seem to be giving this their best shot, so I'm obligated to return the favor.  Let's do this.

I really hope that Freeman pulls off the accent. I know it's a small thing but it has the potential to take me out of the show.

ANot exactly excited for this, but I am looking to check it out.

It's weird, using the actual name Fargo makes me somewhat skeptical of this, though absolutely nothing else would.  The cast, the trailers, the setting all look great.  Particularly the cast, holy shit how did they do that.  I feel like if this were just heavily inspired by the Coen's aesthetic, but called AMC's High Winter Sun, set in the fictional town of Garfo, ND, I'd be all afroth for it.

I'm with you guys, calling it Fargo makes it seem blasphemous. But the people involved mean I have to at least check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3nnui View Post

I'm with you guys, calling it Fargo makes it seem blasphemous. But the people involved mean I have to at least check it out.

How is it blasphemous? The Coens are on board with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike J View Post

How is it blasphemous? The Coens are on board with it.

Fargo just seems like one of those things that is just great as it is, does not need to be revisited. But if the Coens are involved and feel there are more good stories to tell in that milieu, then they certainly know better than I do.

Watching the previews, I saw the Martin Freemen character as a poor man's William H Macy.  That scene where Macy is babbling about clear coat is right up there with 'coffee is for closers' for me.  Obviously I should reserve judgment until seeing the show, but my initial reaction was negative despite the great cast (except for Colin Hanks, he's up there with John Ritter's spawn as most annoying nepotism in Hollywood).

I keep saying it but Freeman's accent is the one element that I'm most scared of here. If he doesn't nail it, it might be the missing brick in the foundation which causes the entire house to collapse for me.

I think his accent sounds great in the trailers.  Well, it sounds ridiculous, but the entire accent sounds like a parody of itself to my ears.  From what I can tell, he actually seems to be less over the top than Macy's in the film.

I do hope you're right Schwartz. I want to love this show so much.

I feel for Fargo the same I felt for Hannibal: disregard the name/background and save the knee-jerk "blasphemy" geek-rage. Just wait for the final product.

I'm excited.

Hannibal had no right to be as good as it ended up being, and the character had been capitalized on to the point of justifiable audience cynicism with the last two movies.  For as fraught as a TV spin-off of a classic movie is by definition, FARGO does depict an irresistible world for telling more stories in.

This is kind of a random plug, and I swear I don't work for them, but has anyone played Telltale Games' Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent?  Imagine a Professor Layton game, but drenched with a bizarre, moody atmosphere that feels like a crossbreed of Fargo and Twin Peaks.  It's kind of brilliant.

Anyway, if Fargo turns out to be incredible, I won't be blindsighted like I was with Hannibal, though I'll certainly be very grateful.  The elements for quality are obviously present, it's a matter of pulling it off, which will of course be no small feat.

The first seven minutes of the show:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/04/03/watch...right-now/

Looks like they've got the tone right... feels of a piece with the movie without emulating the same characters or plot. Still a shame we never got to see Nurse Jackie as Marge Gunderson, though.

The premiere was awesome.

I can't wait to confirm that tonight.

Watched it last night. Overall, very promising.

I liked it, too.  Thornton is the perfect "dark" element to offset the "awjeez" whimsy, and I did not expect some of the twists.  I'm with it.

AA little bit of Anton Chigurh to Thornton's character. I half expected him to hand Colin Hanks a quarter. Did he possibly suffer a brain injury in the opening few minutes?

The movie's one of my favorites, and the Marge Gunderson character is a big part of that, so I was a little wary halfway through the episode when it looked like every female character was going to be some kind of superficial harpy, but it looks like the deputy is going to play a much bigger role going forward than I had expected, and the whole sequence after Martin Freeman hammers his wife's skull in was wonderfully tense.  I'm on board.

Premiere was aces, and makes some very big moves that make you wonder how they're going to up the ante in the remaining 9 episodes.  I'm on board.

I was liking this just fine until Lester declared it hammer time.  Then I was hooked.

Yeah, this is shaping up to be pretty fantastic. I kept forgetting Bob Odenkirk was in this. I'm guessing his part will grow more substantial as the show goes on.

This sure started with a bang. Substantial body count.

I loved that little laugh Kate Walsh did when she saw what her sons were doing.

This was an excellent start to the series. Billy Bob was perfectly cast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grace View Post

The movie's one of my favorites, and the Marge Gunderson character is a big part of that, so I was a little wary halfway through the episode when it looked like every female character was going to be some kind of superficial harpy, but it looks like the deputy is going to play a much bigger role going forward than I had expected, and the whole sequence after Martin Freeman hammers his wife's skull in was wonderfully tense.  I'm on board.

It was only the one character and it looks like she is no longer a factor. And yeah I figured the deputy would fall into the McDormand category. I thought it was weird that they would swap a guy into that role so I knew he was toast. I love the Colin hanks scene because even the exact opposite thing happened from what we saw in the movie it was just as chilling. Altogether wasnot only better than it should have been but outright good bordering on great.

So what's FXs problem with Charter? I can't watch this either on their website or On Demand for some reason. Charter doesn't even show up in the FX online app.

While not quite up to the level of Rust Cohle's philosophical musings, Lorne's statement to Lester in the dinner is somewhere in the same ballpark:

"Your problem is, you spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren’t. We used to be gorillas. All we had was what we could take and defend."

—Lorne Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nnui View Post

Fargo just seems like one of those things that is just great as it is, does not need to be revisited. But if the Coens are involved and feel there are more good stories to tell in that milieu, then they certainly know better than I do.

Watching the previews, I saw the Martin Freemen character as a poor man's William H Macy.  That scene where Macy is babbling about clear coat is right up there with 'coffee is for closers' for me.  Obviously I should reserve judgment until seeing the show, but my initial reaction was negative despite the great cast (except for Colin Hanks, he's up there with John Ritter's spawn as most annoying nepotism in Hollywood).

Hey, I will not have anyone besmirch Jason Ritter's good name. He's great on Gravity Falls and his appearances on Drunk History.