Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRACULA UNTOLD (2014) Discussion Thread

Heh. Super Vampire Bat MEGA PUNCH!

ABradito Unsold.

Cool.....he can become bats.

ME, DRACULA

This January, the Untold story will be retold...for the first time.

Witness: A mid-level budget genre movie try to do a big battle scene on a field with a bunch of AI controlled blurry little guys scurrying around like in an RTS game. Do not avert your gaze!

Revealed: The long lost untold secrets of Dracula...turns out he did it "for his family", like the protagonist of every network TV genre show made in the past 10+ years. Dracula watches Future TV through a Time Tunnel, while Evil Charles Dance Who Needs Money taunts and teases him with Game Of Thrones spoilers.

Can't be any worse than DRACULA 3D right?

I could not possibly care less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevehauk View Post

I could not possibly care less.

Bats are fighting!

AI think there should be an exclusive thread for scenes that have characters explode into flocks of bats or birds. I once thought that was cool but now it's just been done to death. Personally I think Viggo did it best in The Prophecy.

Oh, and fuck this movie.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stale Elvis View Post

I think there should be an exclusive thread for scenes that have characters explode into flocks of bats or birds. I once thought that was cool but now it's just been done to death. Personally I think Viggo did it best in The Prophecy.

Oh, and fuck this movie.

It's usually birds. Bats are fairly rare.......but this is like tons of bats so it's awesome.

I want to know who kickstarted this trend in movie and video game trailers of featuring cover versions of well-known songs? I would very much like that person to be consumed by vampire bats.

AThat would be Trent Reznor and his shiny little gold man.

http://youtu.be/sY4f_83t_rw
ALooking forward to this. Dracula is one of my favorite literary characters (I actually adore Coppolla's version). It's not the first time theyve taken the D&D approach with him. I hope Universal's reboot and attempt at a Marvel-esque shared universe (Universal, get it?) is successful and we get a slew of new Monster flicks. I'm gonna remain optimistic with the knowledge that there's already a ton of other takes already dedicated to film/dvd (I own most of them including Argento's mess).

And I think Evans could be a great fit. It's the Orci/Kurtzman connection that has me worried. Arent they steering the Univ Monst ship? Heard The Mummy reboot has had a bumpy road so far with directors coming and going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I want to know who kickstarted this trend in movie and video game trailers of featuring cover versions of well-known songs? I would very much like that person to be consumed by vampire bats.

Blame David Fincher and that awesome Social Network trailer (which he then followed up with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl trailers for the same effect).

AIt's not every day that showing us the entire movie in the trailer comes across as a courtesy.

I would rather see the Demeter movie. Is that still happening?

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

And I think Evans could be a great fit. It's the Orci/Kurtzman connection that has me worried. Arent they steering the Univ Monst ship?

I was at least going to give this a chance on DVD until you mentioned this. Is there really anything left in the Dracula character?

So, its Castlevania:Lords of Shadow, only dumb? And cheap looking?

Looks like made for cable/rental if you ask me. Might be worth catching up on a weekend night on the couch.

Hey isn't that Rickon???

AI'm shocked PSA hasnt adapted a Castlevania flick yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Me, I want to know who kicked off the trend of having every fucking movie be all about "DOEN TAKE MA FAMBLEE!"

Is this a shared universe with I, Frankenstein and the Benitio Del Toror Wolfman, because if they had a crossover I would ..... um ... er,  I fell asleep at my keyboard, what are we talking about?

ADont think so.
I, Frankenstein. Is Lionsgate.

But I wouldn't object to a Hugo Weaving wolfman .
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

I'm shocked PSA hasnt adapted a Castlevania flick yet.

Well, the next Resident Evil is supposed to be last Resident Evil. Castlevania could be next on his list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post

Well, the next Resident Evil is supposed to be last Resident Evil. Castlevania could be next on his list.

On one hand, I shudder to the idea of a PSA castlevania film.

On the other hand, if it keeps him away from ever being involved with adapting "The Stars My destination"...

No f'ing way, Paul Anderson has been circling Stars My Destination? No. Nonononono.

There's a very short list of directors who could pull off the tone, story, and FX that one requires. And you'd need 3 hours, or a 4 hour 2-parter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post

No f'ing way, Paul Anderson has been circling Stars My Destination? No. Nonononono.

There's a very short list of directors who could pull off the tone, story, and FX that one requires. And you'd need 3 hours, or a 4 hour 2-parter.

I believe he was pursuing it 12 or more years ago, and he even had written a screenplay that was wretched on all accounts.

In my opinion, the only directors alive with the amount of  studio clout, creative freedom and box office track record that could have a shot at adapting it as it deserves to be, are Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott,James Cameron (Cameron on Terminator/Aliens mode, of course), Darren Aronofsky or George Miller; my craziest director pick would actually be Mel Gibson, on full batshit insane Apocalypto mode!

I think Scott or Nolan could nail it if they manage to stick to the book and avoid any unnecessary changes/hack screenwriters.

But in this day and age, no way an even solid adaptation of STMD could get made. Not in a world were Snowpiercer (Park Chan Wok would actually be a great director choice) gets barely distributed and Transformers 4 is a hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post

Is there really anything left in the Dracula character?

Maybe, maybe not. But there is still a solid fact based film waiting to be made about Vlad Tepes which shows the REAL untold story that begat all the fictional sparkly vampire hotties of today, and reveals how he was actually this power mad psycho who enjoyed watching people die slowly after shoving huge wooden posts up their arses (the mentions of Tywin and Rickon in the thread reminded me of a cool little History Channel special on this from a few years ago that starred Francis Magee a.k.a. Yoren of the Night's Watch as Vlad)

ASomeday, before I leave this Earth, I want to see a legit, big budget war movie about the Vlad Tepes who fought to defend the Orthodox Christian world from the Ottomans. There's so much more elbow room to tell that story than there is in the dry well of the vampire subgenre.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Someday, before I leave this Earth, I want to see a legit, big budget war movie about the Vlad Tepes who fought to defend the Orthodox Christian world from the Ottomans. There's so much more elbow room to tell that story than there is in the dry well of the vampire subgenre.

I think a movie where a Christian knight impales thousands of Ottomans might be a bit un PC in this day and age.

It would be an entertaining historical movie, but accuraccy would also mean making Tepes as bloodthirsty and vengeful as he was, and that wouldnt leave much for sympathy for the character.

The 80s were the perfect age to make this movie, dammit!

AOr any acknowledgement in the West that the Orthodox faith is a thing with over a millenium of history. Jesus, the Romans hold long grudges when you leave them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Or any acknowledgement in the West that the Orthodox faith is a thing with over a millenium of history. Jesus, the Romans hold long grudges when you leave them.

Well put.

That said, I hope a Vlad Tepes movie gets made someday.

Possibly by Paul Verhoven, just to compensate for "Crusade" never getting made.

That looked uninspired and cheap. I thought Alex Proyas was directing this? Sure as shit didn't look like it was.

And here's that Vlad Tepes -biopic you're hoping for:

AI appreciate you sharing that. The late Dave Brockie made a short film on the subject also, which I likewise found both entertaining and informative.

Good God.  They'll greenlight anything these days, won't they?

Dracula: Retargigated is by commercial director Gary Shore, this is his first feature.

Alex Proyas is working on the more promising sounding "Gods Of Egypt", out in 2016. It stars Gerard Butler: The Man Who Always Picks Good Projects as Set, and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau as Horus.