Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Make sure you give them a fake phone number and fake address.

Noted.  I don't want to get on a mailing list.

AI think they called me once after my intake, but I told them I wasn't interested. I'm not much of a joiner. I don't even have a PetCo card.
ANot much of a "joiner"? That implies free will. You're probably a Scientologist right now and don't even know it..
AOH FUCK!

Wait, where's my career in showbiz?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Noted.  I don't want to get on a mailing list.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MADE OF STERNER STUFF.

AI took a Scientology personality test several years ago, just as a lark. It didn't take me long to realize that the test is designed to frustrate you.
AIt was grimly hilarious when the showed me the personality test results and I got to see how catastrophically depressed I was. The line graph just cratered.

My 20s sucked.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

It was grimly hilarious when the showed me the personality test results and I got to see how catastrophically depressed I was. The line graph just cratered.

My 20s sucked.

I've never taken that test but I would guess that EVERYONE that takes the scientology personality test gets categorized as 'depressed'.

AAnd here I thought I was special!
A[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/152932/going-clear-scientology-hollywood-and-the-prison-of-belief/30#post_3864200"]
I've never taken that test but I would guess that EVERYONE that takes the scientology personality test gets categorized as 'depressed'.
[/quote]
Yep why would they ever tell a potential member that they're A-OK and right as rain and there's nothing they can do for them? I mean, other than being truthful HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've seen this a couple places regarding this docu.

It's been falsely attributed to William Gibson and there are some variations....still, it's rather true.

Quote:

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

AI am aboard Spaceball-1.
A[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/152932/going-clear-scientology-hollywood-and-the-prison-of-belief#post_3864200"]
[/quote]

It's been years, but I distinctly remember the test questions being incredibly repetitive to the point where it made me irritable. It's actually kind of impressive in that. Designed to ensnare people who may not catch on to the insidious nature of the structure. I knew it was bullshit, but didn't give it serious thought until I saw The Master and recognized the methodology.

Poor Beghe. Blame the religion all you like, but he was never the same after that monkey incident.

And what freaked me out most about this doc was trying to figure out if over the years Tom was slowly becoming Dave or if it was the other way around.

ADamn, I missed this last night?
AClearly.
AGoing Clearly

It'll likely be on GO/Demand and probably re-aired a bunch.  It is HBO after all.

Surprised they didn't at least touch on Cruz/Holmes/that one Scarlett Johansson anecdote as a follow up to them trying to recruit from within with Nazanin Boniadi.   Although I guess since I'd never heard that story, best to focus on that.  Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

And what freaked me out most about this doc was trying to figure out if over the years Tom was slowly becoming Dave or if it was the other way around.

They're an ouroboros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post

So this was horrifying.

Seriously.

And is it just me, or does this Miscavige guy just ooze pure evil?

A[quote name="Jacob Singer" url="/community/t/152932/going-clear-scientology-hollywood-and-the-prison-of-belief/30#post_3864383"]
Seriously.

[/quote]
No doubt. Reminds me of Christopher Lee in The Wicker Man or something.

And isn't it true that Miscavige's wife hasn't been seen in public by anyone since 2007 and should in fact be listed as a missing person. And yet the authorities don't seem too concerned about that, least as far I've read.

It's all very spooky and VERY shady....when it's not being gut-bustingly hilarious of course....the organization I mean...not that poor woman's apparent fate..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Seriously.

I binged the entirety of The Jinx over the weekend, and I'd still be more comfortable alone in a room with Robert Durst than that guy.

Shit, this was utterly horrifying and depressing. Really sad that this level of brainwashing, and empire building can be happening in 2015. On the one hand, this is great doc, and hopefully it spurs some active movement. I mean, the way people responded to Indiana's Religious Freedom bullshit was fast and loud and I hope something similar happens. But on the other hand, this will be used by miscavige to hit his sheep up for even more money, to you know, fight the evil lies being spread about them. It's hard to process this right now.

Miscavige's Niece left and she wrote a book a couple years ago. Here is an interview she did with Opie and Anthony. It covers most of the same bases but it says alot that his own niece took off.

AThere is at least one more of these things on YouTube right now.

Important documentary but damn, they tried to fit in WAY too much in those 2 hours. The whole thing left me with the feeling that they barely even touched the surface. They should have gone The Jinx route and made it a several part miniseries, the Sea Org alone probably could have sustained an entire episode.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Important documentary but damn, they tried to fit in WAY too much in those 2 hours. The whole thing left me with the feeling that they barely even touched the surface. They should have gone The Jinx route and made it a several part miniseries, the Sea Org alone probably could have sustained an entire episode.

READ THE BOOK!!!  I cannot express this enough.  The movie, while great and horrifying, was really just a quick run-through of the bullet points.  You want some more frightening in-depth stories of what they just touched upon or rushed through, seriously, get the book.  Someone throw a link to buy the book through CHUD on here.

I simultaneously feel a lot of disdain for the people who allow themselves to get duped into this stuff and a lot of sympathy for suffereing whatever conditions drove them to it in the first place.  It is ultimately very shocking to me that in this day and age that scientology is capable of cutting people off from outside information to the extent that they don't question anything.  They did mention toward the end of the doc that the actual membership is shrinking, so hopefully the information age is saving people from all of this.

Cruise seems so far up scientology's ass that I could buy that he is able to justify disbelieving any criticism of the church.  They likely shield him from enough stuff that he can maintain plausible deniability in his own head.

Travolta... well... if the testimony of his friend/handler is to be believed then he was completely aware of the goings-on and sat on his hands.  The implied blackmail notwithstanding, it's a little sad because it kind of makes me think John Travolta is a piece of shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieFerguson View Post

They're an ouroboros.

It's like Single White Female but with brainwashing and unnervingly aggressive salutes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

They should have gone The Jinx route and made it a several part miniseries, the Sea Org alone probably could have sustained an entire episode.

Yeah, even though it was a strong documentary this raw material was crying out for the lengthier approach (and can't help imagining what Andrew Jarecki could have done with it). The Hubbard/Crowley story is another area that felt like it should have been expanded. Speaking of, did like the sly little touch with melting Travolta clip from the hamtacular Shatner/Borgnine classic The Devil's Rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fence View Post

I simultaneously feel a lot of disdain for the people who allow themselves to get duped into this stuff and a lot of sympathy for suffereing whatever conditions drove them to it in the first place.  It is ultimately very shocking to me that in this day and age that scientology is capable of cutting people off from outside information to the extent that they don't question anything.  They did mention toward the end of the doc that the actual membership is shrinking, so hopefully the information age is saving people from all of this.

Think of the CHILDREN!!

That's the scary part of religion. That idiot parents basically choose it. And then they don't give their kids the same choice. By the time the kids are adults, literally everything they know, everyone they know is part of the religion. They have nothing to fall back on. No other way of life. It's either stay, or have nothing. It should be a fucking crime for parents to do that.

A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/203429/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

My face throughout this film. And this is from someone who read the book (essential reading if you liked this).

I have a strong revulsion toward cults because my ex fiancée was raised in one (The Family International) and it messed her up (it ultimately caused every disconnect that led to the end of the relationship), so this is just utterly revolting to me.

Not going to sleep tonight, I think. Been a while since I've been this shaken by something.

Wow!  That was fucking nuts!   How in the hell are these people allowed to do this in this day and age?!?!   Mindblowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAncient View Post

Think of the CHILDREN!!

That's the scary part of religion. That idiot parents basically choose it. And then they don't give their kids the same choice. By the time the kids are adults, literally everything they know, everyone they know is part of the religion. They have nothing to fall back on. No other way of life. It's either stay, or have nothing. It should be a fucking crime for parents to do that.

That's what I fucking can't stand!  I would never ever push any kind of religion or belief system on my kids.   Your job as a parent is to let your kids think for themselves, not to brainwash them.

AThat's kinda naive.

Parents are all about passing down a worldview (good or bad) to the next generation whether they know it or not.

The only difference with Scientology parents that pushes it into 'brainwashing' is that it's a worldview/religion that is disdainfully mocked and the very attempt to push back against the many negative associations out in the ether requires more blatant (and twisted) efforts to shield children from critical thought.

Well, that and the fact that if the children or parent decide to leave the church, the family is ordered to disconnect from whoever is leaving.

AAnd if we're not talking about a celebrity's kid, there's a good chance of the kid growing up as a rice paddy slave while Mom works off her billion year obligation the the Sea Org. Otherwise it's totally the same, you're right.