Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotify Playlists

Now that Spotify has become a more commonly used app, I thought it would be fun to take advantage of it's playlist sharing feature.  I thought I would start this thread for any Spotify users who want to create a playlist of songs to share, kind of like having your own radio show.  Post a playlist once a day, once a week, or whenever.  Random songs.  A theme.  Whatever.  I think it would be cool to just hear new stuff and know what makes everyone else tick.

This first one for me is just a random 10 songs.  Since I've had Spotify I've just added random songs I enjoy to the "Starred" playlist, and on occasion I'll just bring it up and hit shuffle.  Right now I have 416 songs in that playlist.  So since my day here is almost over and I just wanted to get this started, I hit shuffle and added the first 10 songs that played.  Totally random pretty wide ranging.  If I get a chance I'll add some song commentary tomorrow.

1. How It Feels To Be Something On - Sunny Day Real Estate

Nothing noteworthy about the song, really.  I remember it took me a bit to enjoy this album since it wasn't Diary.  Eventually I got to the point where I enjoyed this album more than Diary.  I just wasn't a big fan of the shift in the vocal style.

2. Happy Boy - The Beat Farmers

Okay, that's a weird song transition.  Back in the late 80's when I lived in Southern California, I was either listening to KDAY AM (the only place to hear rap), or Dr. Demento.  I had a thing for funny songs.  This was one that was played pretty regularly at the time and still cracks me up.  Also still to this day the only Beat Farmers song I've ever listened to.

3. Boring Girls - Pissed Jeans

Probably only one note through the whole thing, but still just rocks.  Love this band.

4. Public Pervert - Interpol

I wouldn't love this song half as much if it weren't for the chorus.

5. I Wanna Deadbeat You - The Night Marchers

I'm a fan of John Reis and pretty much all of his projects.  This is 3/4 Hot Snakes, and while not as good still some great songs from their two albums.

6. Memory Boy - Deerhunter

Of course this song would pop up, reminding me I was too slow to buy tickets to see them tomorrow night. Sad

7.  Bomb Yourself - TV On The Radio

Still my favorite album by them by a mile.  And I absolutely love this song.  The bass and drums just doing their thing while the guitars and keys just come in when they want with bits here and there.  So much space on this song.  One of my driving at night songs.

8. Long Live The Kane - Big Daddy Kane

Great opener to a first album.

9.  Loose Booty - Sly & The Family Stone

I remember when Paul's Boutique came out I listened to it non-stop. There was just so much going on in that album.  And over the years, what blows me away is how I can still hear a song I've never heard before, and instantly hear something that was sampled on that album.  Loose Booty, I think I first heard this song about a year or so ago, and was blown away once again that decades later I'm still hearing stuff that was sampled on that album for the first time.  And this song is like 90% Shadrach.  But take away the Beastie Boys story and you still have a real fun song.

10.  X-Polynation - Q And Not U

I absolutely love the first two Q and not U albums.  This one not so much.  But I absolutely love this song.  Some good Dischord Records post-punk.

I have had this idea myself several times and never got around to posting it. Good on you for following through.

So the other day my wife and I were driving around listening to Backspin on Sirius/XM, and Lauryn Hill came on.  We both started talking about how much we love that album and haven't listened to it in a long time.  So yesterday while at work I put it on.  When I did I noticed that it came out in '98.  Holy shit!  It dawned on me that that album will be able to vote this year!  (I often have silly thoughts like that, for example yesterday was the movie Rob Roy's 21'st birthday, so Rob Roy can now legally order a Rob Roy).

So in that spirit (as well as in the spirit of making me feel old!), since it is an election year, I decided to make up a playlist of songs that turn voter age this year.  Some of them feel that old, where others make me wonder how time went by so fast.

Old Enough To Vote

1. No Tech! - Unwound

2. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

3. Rush Job - Shellac

4. You Know My Steez - Gang Starr

5. Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack

6. Foreman's Dog - Fugazi

7. Quincy Punk Episode - Spoon

8. Hits Of Sunshine (For Allen Ginsberg) - Sonic Youth

9. Panic Scam - Rocket From The Crypt

10. Walt Whitman's Niece - Billy Bragg and Wilco

11. Committed - Unsane

12. Sugar - System of a Down

13. Three MC's and One DJ - Beastie Boys

14. Chanbara - At The Drive-In

15. President of What? - Death Cab For Cutie

16. Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill

17. Waltz #2 (XO) - Elliott Smith

18. Missile ++ - Blonde Redhead

19. Avon - Queens of the Stone Age

20. Rosa Parks - OutKast

21. Rabbit In Your Headlights - Unkle

22. Pillars - Sunny Day Real Estate

Yesterday I was out eating dinner with my wife, and I showed her a picture a friend of mine posted on Facebook the other day.  It was a newspaper clipping from what looked like the Lubbock High newspaper, and it was a story about the Fugazi show earlier that week.  There is a pic of Fugazi playing, and I was showing my wife because 18 year old me was in the picture standing on the stage on the side watching.  It was the first time I had ever seen Fugazi, and it was one of those life changing shows.  Blew me away.  Met them afterwards and they were all nice guys.  But it was one of those shows you don't forget.

Then I looked at the date and saw it was April 18, 1993.  It just so happened to be the same date as yesterday, 23 years earlier.  And it hit me then that yesterday was the 23rd anniversary of me having seen Fugazi for the first time.  Jesus.

So once again, a playlist that makes me feel my age.  This is the playlist from that show 23 years ago today (thanks to the Fugazi Live Series).  Not the actual show, just the songs that they played in the order that they did.  It was right before In On The Kill Taker came out.

Fugazi 04/18/1993

Oh I can play this game too!!!

True to my name, I listen to Ska...like alot. So here's a playlist with over a hundred songs.

https://open.spotify.com/user/kemuri07/p...tqjgT1VyiO