Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE PUNISHER (NETFLIX)
A[quote name="ryoken" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/60#post_4344553"]I cant be only one that would love a "Punisher MAX" series with Stallone playing Vietnam vet, aged Frank Castle?
[/quote]

I would do TERRIBLE things for that.

I'd be interested in seeing the story arc where the Kingpin hires Bullseye to bump Castle off.  I read it years ago, mind you, and now that I think about it...there was some truly goofy stuff in there that might not fit the tone they are going for....it was an Ennis/Dillon run wasn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

I'd be interested in seeing the story arc where the Kingpin hires Bullseye to bump Castle off.  I read it years ago, mind you, and now that I think about it...there was some truly goofy stuff in there that might not fit the tone they are going for....it was an Ennis/Dillon run wasn't it?

Yes, that was the goofier but still mature MAX series by Ennis.

Which is solid and fun, but is grabage compared ro the original Punisher MAX run by Ennis. The Slavers, Man of Iron, Mother Russia, Up is Down/Black is White, Kitchen Irish, Valley Forge and more...all amazing, powerful and brutal stories.

Probably the best version of the character, hands down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

I would do TERRIBLE things for that.

We would do those TERRIBLE things together, my friend.

I'd do even more TERRIBLE things if it also allowed to have a whole season/couple episodes adapting Born (but who could play young Stallone?)

Just retcon the whole thing, have Bernthal play 80's, 'Nam-veteran Punisher beating the crap out of Fisk's empire.

Then bring Stallone in for Up is Down, Black is WhiteThe Slavers, and other arcs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

Yes, that was the goofier but still mature MAX series by Ennis.

Which is solid and fun, but is grabage compared ro the original Punisher MAX run by Ennis. The Slavers, Man of Iron, Mother Russia, Up is Down/Black is White, Kitchen Irish, Valley Forge and more...all amazing, powerful and brutal stories.

Probably the best version of the character, hands down.

*pushes up glasses*

Gonna well, actually you here.

Garth Ennis wrote Punisher Max from 2004 to 2008. He was replaced by Gregg Hurwitz, then Duane Swierczynski (when the series was retitled Frank Castle: The Punisher), then Victor Gischler. Then the series relaunched as PunisherMAX with an issue #1 in late 2009, with Jason Aaron writing the entirety of the 22-issue series. The second arc of that series was the one with Bullseye.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that Steve Dillion returned to do art for the character, even though he hadn't actually drawn any of Ennis's Max run but had been the artist on Ennis's Marvel Knights run.

*polishes nonexistent glasses*

I posted this in the Defenders thread but watching that trailer, based off of the voice over and the flashback shots of Frank in the military really makes me think that they're adapting 'Born' in some capacity. Just updated from 'Nam to Afghanistan.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 'Born' backstory is intercut with Frank having to deal with PMC/Militia types. Which would feel pretty timely I'd say.

As long as Punisher stays the fuck away from superhero bullshit.

LIke, I might throw a fit if there's a scene of Frank punching a Ninja.

A[quote name="Codename" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/50#post_4346722"]I posted this in the Defenders thread but watching that trailer, based off of the voice over and the flashback shots of Frank in the military really makes me think that they're adapting 'Born' in some capacity. Just updated from 'Nam to Afghanistan. 

If I had to guess, I'd say the 'Born' backstory is intercut with Frank having to deal with PMC/Militia types. Which would feel pretty timely I'd say. 
[/quote]

But how much of that would they commit to, really. BORN is a very ugly and wholly redefining look into what Frank Castle is and it would take balls on balls to do even half of it.
AFranken-Castle in Punisher Season 2 or I RIOT.
A[quote name="Reasor" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/50_50#post_4346761"]Franken-Castle in Punisher Season 2 or I RIOT.[/quote]
Only after I get my Werewolf-Cap movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

But how much of that would they commit to, really. BORN is a very ugly and wholly redefining look into what Frank Castle is and it would take balls on balls to do even half of it.

I can see them cutting the Vietcong Sniper bits for obvious reasons. But the rest? I think could definitely be worked into it. Just from those quick shots we see a Soldier getting brutally tortured. Along with the news that Jon Bernthal reportedly fought against making Castle a very likable or heroic character I certainly think it's plausible.

And speaking of balls, the showrunner's the guy responsible for writing Mizumono. The Season 2 finale of Hannibal. Now THAT was written by a fellow with balls!

A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/155441/the-punisher-netflix/60#post_4346760"]
But how much of that would they commit to, really. BORN is a very ugly and wholly redefining look into what Frank Castle is and it would take balls on balls to do even half of it.[/quote]

Exactly. Which is where I worry about how much they'll make him likeable. I don't mind being "human," which threw a lot of people off in Daredevil S2, but I don't want him throwing punches with super villains.

Here's Bernthal's take:

Quote:

“It’s an interesting predicament. To put him as the central character is interesting. I think that my big struggle with him is that one of my biggest kind of things that I’m always fighting for on set is, I always want to preserve the essence of Frank, and have the right and be bold enough to really turn my back on the audience, and not do things to win the audience’s favor, but rather stay true to the character and the essence of who he is.”

“I think Frank is brutal. Frank is damaged. Frank is tortured. I think Frank, when he engages in violence, there’s something utterly satisfying and addictive for him to be doing that, and that may not be something that the audience can agree with or get behind. But I’ve always fought to preserve that, and I think that that’s a part of him. I think the pain and what’s behind the violence and the reason why he’s committing the violence, that’s a different story. I want to explore that, too.”

“So I think that’s the real challenge: being bold enough to not make him too heroic, at least “heroic,” is important to me. That being said, I think there’s Frank Castle inside of everybody. I think being a father and being a husband, he’s a character that I deeply empathize with.”
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Franken-Castle in Punisher Season 2 or I RIOT.

Nah, unless they get a dealw ith FOX so they can use Daken and Logan; the highlight of that story is Franken-Castle kicking the shit of and humilliating Wolverine's douchebag son.

So, apparently Marvel decided to tweet the show's episode titles in Morse Code (because Frank was in the military, I guess?) which was quickly translated by Entertainment Weekly:

1. 3:AM

2. Two Dead Man

3. Kandahar

4. Resupply

5. Gunner

6. The Judas Goat

7. Crosshairs

8. Cold Steel

9. Front Toward Enemy

10. Virtue of the Vicious

11. Danger Close

12. Home

13. Memento Mori ( The name of the first issue of Edmondson's and Mitch Gerads run)

Also, a new teaser video for the cast... even though Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page) is the only one that's recognizable:

Chappelle AKA Father Phil is in this? That's terrific.

Little worried it's 13 episodes though.

Official Trailer is up

I've been fooled by Netflix before but that looks pretty good, and I love that they've kept him as the type of guy who shoots a man in the face because he's got no information to provide.

This is automatically my favourite Marvel Netflix series.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

What's that? You want to use my favourite Metallica song for the trailer of one of my favourite Marvel characters? Well by all means give me a hype boner.

I am SO fucking there with bells on.

Got dat John Wick utilitarianism on display.

Bernthal looks a little...slight, especially with the vest so crowded up so high on his chest, but otherwise, it looks good. Not sure I'm feeling the implication that there is some conspiracy behind the death of his family as I think the character works best with the crime being random and that loss *not really* being the story or even strictly the motivation. I'm sure some people get tired of my fellating Ennis, but I really do love the idea that Castle was always a psychopath and that the murder of his family is something he uses as an excuse to do something he always wanted to do (and had pretty much done in Vietnam).

What I'm saying is that I don't so much like The Punisher as an anti-hero like Paul Kersey or Dirty Harry, but an anti-villain. He has a goal in mind and he'll readily do horrible things to get to that goal. I can see that as a challenge that showrunners may not be ready to accept, but that's what I like.

AI'll probably binge this.

A Marvel Netflix character that shows a bit of agency for once?

This looks alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Bernthal looks a little...slight, especially with the vest so crowded up so high on his chest, but otherwise, it looks good. Not sure I'm feeling the implication that there is some conspiracy behind the death of his family as I think the character works best with the crime being random and that loss *not really* being the story or even strictly the motivation. I'm sure some people get tired of my fellating Ennis, but I really do love the idea that Castle was always a psychopath and that the murder of his family is something he uses as an excuse to do something he always wanted to do (and had pretty much done in Vietnam).

What I'm saying is that I don't so much like The Punisher as an anti-hero like Paul Kersey or Dirty Harry, but an anti-villain. He has a goal in mind and he'll readily do horrible things to get to that goal. I can see that as a challenge that showrunners may not be ready to accept, but that's what I like.

Yeah, the conspiracy aspect worries me as well. They've already implied one conspiracy behind the killings in season 2 of Daredevil, and my fear is that they're going to expand on it further (or add another one on top) to give him a season arc here. Which nobody needs. The Punisher should just be the Boogieman that murderers, rapists and gangsters fear. He's a force of nature, and that's it. Earthquakes and hurricanes don't kill you because you pissed them off - they kill you because you got in their way. 

Looks good.

Loved that bit were he shoot that special forces guy on the foot, then on the face, almost casually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Yeah, the conspiracy aspect worries me as well. They've already implied one conspiracy behind the killings in season 2 of Daredevil, and my fear is that they're going to expand on it further (or add another one on top) to give him a season arc here. Which nobody needs. The Punisher should just be the Boogieman that murderers, rapists and gangster fear. He's a force of nature, and that's it. Earthquakes and hurricanes don't kill you because you pissed them off - they kill you because you got in their way. 

I think it looks like they are going for a "Punisher MAX: The Cell" styled story for the first season.

Basically have Frank's quest for revenge for his family drive the first season, then end with him going on his neverending war on crime.

If so, its a good approach, because it needs to be done first to free the character from his origin story, and allow him to move on.

Quote:

Yeah, the conspiracy aspect worries me as well. They've already implied one conspiracy behind the killings in season 2 of Daredevil, and my fear is that they're going to expand on it further (or add another one on top) to give him a season arc here. Which nobody needs. The Punisher should just be the Boogieman that murderers, rapists and gangster fear. He's a force of nature, and that's it. Earthquakes and hurricanes don't kill you because you pissed them off - they kill you because you got in their way. 

It'd be pretty cool if Castle is following some giant conspiracy but discovers it was all a random wrong-place wrong-time thing like in Memento, and then despite that continues murdering people. Because fuck it, that's who he is.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Got dat John Wick Strike Back utilitarianism on display.

Fixed that for ya.

But, yeah, looks fantastic.

I'm in.

Gun violence and Metallica?

Yes please.

AMy reaction:

[Image: 400]

The outright disregard for assholeism. Bernthal's continued Stallone-ing. The expert use of Metallica.

This is everything I want from a Punisher show. And the government op stuff looks very inspired by the Ennis MAX run, although I doubt someone will be castrated for comic effect.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterTarantino View Post

Bernthal's continued Stallone-ing.

The guy's really won me over in this role. With the exception of Iron Fist, Netflix has completely nailed the casting of their Marvel characters.

Quote:

The guy's really won me over in this role. With the exception of Iron Fist, Netflix has completely nailed the casting of their Marvel characters.

Are you referring to The Immortal Iron Fist? Protector of K'un-Lun? Sworn enemy of The Hand?

Yeah, the fact that this leaves all that Defenders bullshit in the dust to focus on a nice and gritty black ops government conspiracy makes me SO happy.

Yeah, aside from Karen popping up this appears to be its own thing. And please, please let it be its own thing.

No Claire moralizing sessions. "How do you know what you're doing is the right thiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg?" immediately followed by, "THIS CITY NEEDS YOU!!!"