Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comedy Other Than Norm Fucking MacDonald

I thought Bert Kreischer: The Machine was pretty damn funny.

Also Tig Notaro's Knock Knock has been airing again on cable, and it's awesome.

Also also, the Todd Barry Croudwork Tour is great, I re-watch it every couple of months, and it never gets stale for some reason.

I'd just love to hear about any other comedy than Norm Fucking MacDonald, fer chrissake.

Nope, sorry, Norm's the best.

Bert Kreischer seems like a really cool guy, but I don't care about his comedy.

Few people make me laugh like Brian Regan. Not even Norm MacDonald.

I watched Dana Carvey's special on Netflix recently. I think I laughed a few times, I can't tell you any jokes off the top of my head, which says a lot about his special.

I liked Chelsea Peretti's "One of the Greats" special fine, although the funniest thing to come out of it might be Ralphie May's weird rage over the title.

I hung out with Ralphie a couple of times during my standup days. (I saw "A History of Violence" with him in the theater. Weird) He was always cool to me. Recently, I watched that roast battle show on Comedy Central and Mike Lawrence destroyed him. It was painful to watch. As I understand, Ralphie wanted to fight the guy once the cameras were off.

A recent discovery on Netflix: Sebastian Maniscalco.  He has 2 specials on there, both of which fucking killed me.  He's one of those guys who is naturally funny but also has the ability to physically act out the situation that he's describing and send the routine to the next level.  The wife and I have agreed to see him if he ever comes to town.

A[quote name="Mangy" url="/community/t/156063/comedy-other-than-norm-fucking-macdonald#post_4175722"]

Few people make me laugh like Brian Regan.
[/quote]

Regan's the best. The guy's been going since I was a kid and can still kill me. Him and Jake Johanssen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim View Post

Him and Jake Johanssen.

Jake's great.  Been a fan of his for a long time.

Also, Larry Miller.  His '5 levels of drinking' still kills me.

ASometimes I turn on the radio and catch Lucas Black in mid-flight and mistake him for vintage George Carlin. That could mean a few things, like that Carlin is still relevant or Black is aping him.

I still keep it locked because that shit is funny.

I watch so much standup on Netflix it's almost the only subject they ever send me email alerts about.

Always Stewart Lee

Also...He's the political polar opposite of most chewers, including me, but Nick DiPaolo is a truly funny mofo.  I posted a while back that on Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, Letterman's top writer said that if there were two comics playing on opposite sides of the street, and if DiPaolo was one of the comics, it didn't matter who was on the other side of the street, he would watch DiPaolo.

AI like DiPaolo a lot. I think I'm already on record around here for being a big fan of most of the "Tough Crowd" regulars-- two of the very best, Patrice O'Neal and Greg Giraldo, no longer with us, sadly.

Quinn is someone I could never get into.  His delivery is so bad it became his signature that he had terrible delivery.  And putting him behind the Update desk was just the worst idea.

ADoug Stanhope's new album "No Place Like Home" is now on iTunes. It's top shelf.

I used to watch a ton of live comedy but haven't gone anywhere near as much this year. Last summer, I saw Thomas F. Wilson from "Back to the Future" headline. I thought he was pretty funny.
A[quote name="Mangy" url="/community/t/156063/comedy-other-than-norm-fucking-macdonald#post_4175722"]I hung out with Ralphie a couple of times during my standup days. (I saw "A History of Violence" with him in the theater. Weird) He was always cool to me. Recently, I watched that roast battle show on Comedy Central and Mike Lawrence destroyed him. It was painful to watch. As I understand, Ralphie wanted to fight the guy once the cameras were off.
[/quote]

For a seemingly nice dude Mike Lawrence is bonkers good at the roast stuff, but then he's good at jokes in general. I sometimes used to listen to his Nerd of Mouth podcast before he wrapped that up and the dude is almost as much of a joke machine as Bradito.
AI remember Mike Lawrence's WTF interview, mostly because he brought up the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

No recent standup show has made me laugh as much as Kumail Nanjiani's Beta Male.

Another guy who's constantly amazing - Bill Burr. Guy's a complete shithead but his delivery is just so damn good. I must have watched "Let it Go" about 10 times now and it never stops being funny.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
AChris Porter's "Ugly and Angry" is the goods.

Bill Hicks has always been my go-to guy.  Revelations was my revelation at a young 17.

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/156063/comedy-other-than-norm-fucking-macdonald#post_4175794"]Quinn is someone I could never get into.  His delivery is so bad it became his signature that he had terrible delivery.  And putting him behind the Update desk was just the worst idea. 
[/quote]

It can get painful to watch him sometimes in his various TV gigs on account of his awkwardness, but he makes it endearing. And somehow Quinn's also made it through by being a kind of comic's comic, I guess-- clearly other guys in the business think well of him.

Strange thing: my mother loves the man, has since his days on "Remote Control". She watched "Tough Crowd" religiously.

I'm a huge fan of Bo Burnham. He gets me and never fails to crack me the fuck up.

Burnham's a real weirdo, he started doing this posting youtube videos in his early teens. His love song for Helen Keller is probably the weirdest lovely thing I've ever heard. "She was the perfect woman, didn't talk too much" and so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Another guy who's constantly amazing - Bill Burr. Guy's a complete shithead but his delivery is just so damn good. I must have watched "Let it Go" about 10 times now and it never stops being funny.

His B&W special was my first exposure to him, brilliant stuff. Especially when he starts creeping out his audience.

I usually just flip through Netflix specials and move on if I'm not laughing. I remember digging Jen Kirkman, Jim Jeffries and Mike Birbiglia. Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" was a surprisingly well-constructed and funny story, almost like a novel or a film.

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend was was one of the best stand up shows I've ever watched. Just fantastic.

The only comedian I listen to on a regular basis is Bill Burr, he never fails to make me laugh.

Bill Hicks was...well, a revelation when I first saw him. Christ, no wonder Dennis Leary stole all his material the wrinkly fuck.

I know people are down on Trevor Noah as Daily Show host but I've really enjoyed his stand up. Especially his local shows.

Most of my favourite stand-up acts are British though: Jimmy Carr, Ed Byrne and Bill Bailey being my top picks. 

Also, since I'm here I just need to confess...I don't really get Norm McDonald at all.

ARecently watched the Pryor documentary "Omit the Logic" and was floored. It is a pretty harrowing look into that man's life. The post-accident clips of him on the Sunset Strip forgetting his lines are tough to watch.

Bill Hicks I haven't listened to in awhile. HIS doc is also very good. Arizona Bay was always one of my favorite specials.

Todd Barry and Dana Gould are still some favorites.

Brian Regan I have just now been getting into. Any recommendations from him?

I feel out of touch when it comes to comedy, I like so many of the older guys.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Most of my favourite stand-up acts are British though: Jimmy Carr, Ed Byrne and Bill Bailey being my top picks.

Also, since I'm here I just need to confess...I don't really get Norm McDonald at all.

Bless you on both counts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call Me Roy View Post

Brian Regan I have just now been getting into. Any recommendations from him?

I Walked on the Moon is my favorite special of his, and one of my favorites ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Hey! There's three of us!

AI understand people who don't get Norms humor.

However, I am glad I do, because that man never fails to put me into hysterics.

The fact that the thread about comedy other than Norm Macdonald has shifted to being about Norm Macdonald is a true testament to his wonder.

AWe should rename this thread "Comedy other than Norm fucking Macdonald ISN'T comedy".
AI mentioned it in the Norm MacDonald thread, but I drove an hour and paid $35 for a ticket to watch him bomb for an hour. He was without exaggeration the worst headliner I'd ever seen live. Whether or not bombing was part of the joke, I still felt ripped off. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
AI actually hate Norm Macdonald.

When it comes to fictional Colonel Sanders he's no Rob Riggle.

AI love that they just cast new comedians as the colonel every few weeks.

In a few weeks 10 bucks says its Kevin Hart.

That would be incredible.

What was with that interlude where George Hamilton was doing it? What a Lazenby.