Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Songs/Albums of 2017

I'm not really prepared to make a list in either direction, but New Year's is inching closer.  Plus, Edgar Wright has a Spotify playlist of his 50 favorite songs of the year, which seems like a great kickoff:

https://open.spotify.com/user/edgar_wrig...TGjK074stp

There are many bands on his list I had never even heard of (and many I had), so I'm definitely planning on going through a lot of this when I find more time.

So, yeah, what did everyone like this year?

"Wonderful, Wonderful" by The Killers kinda nailed it for me.  "Tyson Vs. Douglas" and "Have All The Songs Been Written" have been on constant rotation in my car for the past few months.  Followed up "Sam's Town" pretty damn well.

Codename's Top 5 (in no particular order)

In no particular order (except AKMU's 'Dinosaur', which is clearly #1) . . .

AGrizzly Bear - Painted Ruins
Pile - A Hairshirt of Purpose
Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice
Metz - Strange Peace
Feist - Pleasure
AGodflesh _ Post Self
The National _ Sleep Well Beast
Chelsea Wolfe _ Hiss Spun
Quicksand _ Interiors
Rainer Maria _ S/T
AThat quicksand one is good. And I still need to listen to that Chelsea Wolfe. I was going to on the way home from work today and totally forgot.

Rolling Stone has its list of the top 50 albums of the year.  It seems to have made a lot of people mad, so it's par for the course:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...17-w511763

Definitely some good choices on there, though.

Here's my favourite albums, and song from that album, alphabetically.

August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem

Song - Invisible Enemy

Brand New - Science Fiction

Song - 451

Chris Stapleton - From A Room: Volume 1

Song - Second One To Know

Cradle Of Filth - Cryptoriana: The Seductiveness Of Decay

Song - Heartbreak And Seance

Demon Hunter - Outlive

Song - Slight The Odds

Hundred Suns - The Prestaliis

Song - Hellelujah

Lorde - Melodrama

Song - Green Light

Pvris - All We Know Of Heaven, All We Need Of Hell

Song - What's Wrong

Royal Thunder - Wick

Song - Plans

Trivium - The Sin And The Sentence (Album Of The Year)

Song - Beyond Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Rolling Stone has its list of the top 50 albums of the year.  It seems to have made a lot of people mad, so it's par for the course:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/...17-w511763

Definitely some good choices on there, though.

I don't know more than half that list - on to Google Play I go - but I'm glad the Gallaghers made it. A cracking couple of discs. I prefer Noel's album, although I'd kill to hear Liam sing it.

#1 for me is Do Make Say Think's album Stubborn Persistent Illusions.

Also:

Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers

Quicksand - Interiors

Oh Sees - Orc

Jamie Reynolds - Counterpart

Antibalas - Where the Gods Are in Peace

The Heliocentrics - A World of Masks

All of the King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard releases this year so far.

AI've listened to only a few of this year's new albums so my list begins with In Spades by The Afghan Whigs and ends with Sleeping Through the War by All Them Witches. Though I liked both entries by the Gallagher brothers, and the new U2. The new (and last?) Linkin Park album was absolutely godawful.

After mentioning what I wrote above to a friend, she kindly guided me to Science Fiction by Brand New. Which is currently owning the shit out of me and definitely belongs on my best of 2017 -list.

When did the Hozier self-titled album come out?  That is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard.

**Just checked the release date.  Well...guess I was late to that party ...

A[quote name="Virtanen" url="/community/t/159876/best-songs-albums-of-2017#post_4431887"]After mentioning what I wrote above to a friend, she kindly guided me to Science Fiction by Brand New. Which is currently owning the shit out of me and definitely belongs on my best of 2017 -list.

[/quote]

Yeah great album! Mentioned it in my list up above!

You should really listen to their other albums.

I am outta touch on most music scenes but try to keep up on the indie side of LA.

The only album I actually bought that was released this year was Apocalypstick by Cherry Glazerr.  Which I recommended in other threads.

Last Christmas I gave my brother the latest Childish Gambino (after copying it) and bought the latest Tribe and Radiohead albums after the fact, with Christmas gift cards.

At least this year I can say I saw PJ Harvey at the Greek Theater!

I saw Jay Leno driving an antique convertible through Malibu Canyon.  Doin' the werewolves of London.
Quote:

Originally Posted by catartik View Post

Yeah great album! Mentioned it in my list up above!

You should really listen to their other albums.

Thanks, I will. Hadn't even heard of them before, based on Science Fiction and a few of their previous songs they're an absolutely brilliant rock band.

And, as it would naturally happen, they're calling it quits next year. So much for that new music discovery.

Brand New are one of my favorite bands of the 00's.  Have fun diving in!  The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me is easily their best album.  It would be so weird to have Science Fiction as a jumping off point with them.  So much of my personal joy listening to it was seeing the band finally put all the pieces together.  It's really a culmination of their entire career.

Other faves:

Glassjaw - Material Control - Another long forgotten post-punk/hardcore/emo/whatever you want to call it came back with their first proper album in 15 years and it's fucking killer.

St. Vincent - MASSEDUCATION

Elbow - Little Fictions

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - The Hanged Man

The Regrettes - Feel Your Feelings Fool! - There are other albums I liked more I just like shouting out this band because I admire their moxy.

Wish I liked the new Elbow more, since their first 5 albums are amazing. Losing their drummer is a killer blow, though.

AHave to add Damn. to my list. Wasn't a big fan of To Pimp A Butterfly, but fuck, I can't stop listening to Damn. So fucking good.
A[quote name="Dalyn" url="/community/t/159876/best-songs-albums-of-2017#post_4436018"]Have to add Damn. to my list. Wasn't a big fan of To Pimp A Butterfly, but fuck, I can't stop listening to Damn. So fucking good.[/quote]

It's been a grower for me. When it came out I had it pegged as my 3rd favourite Kendrick album, but now I listen to it more than To Pimp A Butterfly. Definitely in my Top 5 for 2017.