Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The All Purpose NEW RELEASES THAT AREN'T WORTH A DEDICATED THREAD Thread
The only good Looney Tunes film is and always will be BACK IN ACTION.

Both Space Jams are garbage.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Even Back in Action is a mixed bag, sadly. (It does that thing an aggravating number of '90s cinematic revivals of classic cartoon/TV franchises did where the iconic characters have to undergo a mid-life crisis during the first half of the film, so that they only really become the characters people knew and loved in act three - much less so than, say, the godawful Rocky & Bullwinkle abortion, but still - plus it's also about 25% a bad Steve Martin vehicle.) But yes, can't dispute that.

Really the best cinematic Looney Tunes equivalent is The Emperor's New Groove.
(07-21-2021, 01:01 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: Really the best cinematic Looney Tunes equivalent is The Emperor's New Groove.

Naw. The rest of the films are hit and miss, but Scratt from Ice Age is pure Looney Tunes.

After that, probably Fast 9.

(07-21-2021, 01:11 AM)Overlord Wrote: The rest of the films are hit and miss, but Scratt from Ice Age is pure Looney Tunes.
Also that, although it got pretty old after the second (but then, so did the series as a whole.)
(07-21-2021, 01:13 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 01:11 AM)Overlord Wrote: The rest of the films are hit and miss, but Scratt from Ice Age is pure Looney Tunes.
Also that, although it got pretty old after the second (but then, so did the series as a whole.)

Gawd, sitting through those films became pure torment.  The only I liked was the dinosaur one.

I think the first was the only one I really needed. The second had enough I liked about it to where I didn't feel like I'd totally wasted my time, but I've never felt the need to revisit it.
No reviews yet for Old. Or Snake Eyes. Hmm
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(07-21-2021, 12:50 AM)headless fett Wrote: The only good Looney Tunes film is and always will be BACK IN ACTION.

Both Space Jams are garbage.

The old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies stuff are films.
Let me tell you that the Ice Age movies grow on you...in a locked in a cell, forced to watch them because your four year old wants to see them over and over...and over kind of way. At least there are 5 of them...haha..ha...help me...please...

Scratt is fun, though. He's the part she loves best. He's like a weird, eternal being, fate personified.

(07-21-2021, 01:11 AM)Overlord Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 01:01 AM)commodorejohn Wrote: Really the best cinematic Looney Tunes equivalent is The Emperor's New Groove.

Naw.

The rest of the films are hit and miss, but Scratt from Ice Age is pure Looney Tunes.

After that, probably Fast 9.

I will pay…I will pay to see Fast 9 dubbed with cartoon noises. Heck dub Tyrese and Ludacris as actual Minions.
A My Blu-Ray Movies | er u tang is?
(07-21-2021, 04:59 AM)simbob Wrote: The old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies stuff are films.
Theatrical shorts, yes, but not feature films.
JOLT!

Well they did it. Somebody took the old episode of Cheers where Cliff Clavin gets shock therapy to improve his personality and turned it into an action film starring Kate Beckinsale. Real slop. Loads of 2006-style shaky cam. Zero excitement. Bland villains. Jai Courtney. 82 minutes before credits and still felt endless.
Ouch!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Well, Summer of Soul was a delight. INCREDIBLE footage restoration, phenomenal editing. Such a fun movie.
BLOOD RED SKY (aka VAMP ON A PLANE) is a incredibly well made, solidly acted monster mash of a film. Loved it!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
(07-25-2021, 04:59 AM)headless fett Wrote: BLOOD RED SKY (aka VAMP ON A PLANE) is a incredibly well made, solidly acted monster mash of a film. Loved it!

Correct. This, A Classic Horror Story and the 3 Fear Street films are all solid horror entries that hit Netflix this month. Weird to do that during summer and not October but I will take it.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
OLD!

Equally unsettling and goofy, with the former component being just effective enough to keep the latter from tanking the whole movie... but only just.

M. Night Shyamalan very sharply presents the dread and horror of aging, and confronts all the ways the human body and mind can break down as a person grows older. And he does this in a way that rapidly escalates, getting more and more wild as things progress... which is where the goofiness comes in (exacerbated by some clunky/cringe-worthy dialogue at points).

But the performances are all good, and Shyamalan’s filmmaking is fairly strong; he employs some (apparently) long takes moving along the beach setting, which keeps the environment engaging.

As a whole, OLD is middling Shyamalan, but since we know the true depths of badness he’s capable of reaching, we have to consider this a (qualified) success.
Thirding the recommendations for Blood Red Sky, not an amazing movie but much better than the "vamps on a plane" summation might imply. I especially liked how they very deliberately avoided the "sexy monster" trope and cast the vampires much more in the Nosferatu/30 Days of Night vein, and it's always fun having a traditionally antagonistic character type as the lead.
(07-25-2021, 04:59 AM)headless fett Wrote: BLOOD RED SKY (aka VAMP ON A PLANE) is a incredibly well made, solidly acted monster mash of a film. Loved it!

I might have liked it a little better if the vampire had just been on the plane with no backstory, just incredibly bad luck for the hijackers.  But it does give a hook for Peri Baumeister's anguished performance, which I wouldn't want to lose, so it's a trade-off.
Just this guy, you know?
(07-26-2021, 09:21 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:59 AM)headless fett Wrote: BLOOD RED SKY (aka VAMP ON A PLANE) is a incredibly well made, solidly acted monster mash of a film. Loved it!

I might have liked it a little better if the vampire had just been on the plane with no backstory, just incredibly bad luck for the hijackers.  But it does give a hook for Peri Baumeister's anguished performance, which I wouldn't want to lose, so it's a trade-off.

I think the setup with the medicine and the trip to New York was fine, the flashback stuff felt like a combination of audience hand-holding and runtime padding that the movie really didn't need. That said, I definitely liked having the vampire as a clear protagonist as opposed to a From Dusk 'till Dawn style assholes vs. monsters setup.
I thought it was fine. The flashbacks were unnecessary and apart from one really cool rampage scene, it was way too dour. I felt like the director was trolling me going "Do you think a film about vampires on a plane sounds fun?? Ohoho do I have a surprise for you!"

Well apart from the lead antagonist who clearly thought he was acting in the anime version of the film or something.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(07-26-2021, 10:40 AM)Evi Wrote: I thought it was fine. The flashbacks were unnecessary and apart from one really cool rampage scene, it was way too dour. I felt like the director was trolling me going "Do you think a film about vampires on a plane sounds fun?? Ohoho do I have a surprise for you!"

Well apart from the lead antagonist who clearly thought he was acting in the anime version of the film or something.

Given that this seemed to have a fairly limited budget (there definitely seemed to be a couple of SFX money shots missing with the kills), I think keeping things more restrained was probably the way to go, but 100% agreed on the antagonist feeling like he was starring in a completely different movie. I'm not sure what notes they gave that guy but he's the only one whose performance was more restrained as a vampire, and it really didn't make sense why he was even on the team in the first place.
Sold. I'm adding that to the queue.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
It's the goods. I originally gave 3.5 stars and simmering on it, I'd kick that up to a 4.
Just this guy, you know?
I may see JUNGLE CRUISE after all. This has been getting some really good reviews.
(07-27-2021, 06:18 PM)Felix Wrote: I may see JUNGLE CRUISE after all. This has been getting some really good reviews.

If you do, you can post your thoughts in the dedicated thread!

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162742
Really liked THE DISCIPLE on Netflix. Fascinating character study of a pretty unique character who is obsessed with a pretty unique subject, vocal performance of classical Indian music.

Most people who watch it would probably be bored out of their gourds, though.
the empire never ended
Re: "The Tomorrow War (Amazon Prime) - July 2, 2021" Thread

"The specified thread does not exist."

Excuse me everyone but what the fuck?

Yes, I know if the original post starting the thread is deleted, the whole thread is deleted but my point still stands!
Someone keeps deleting their threads for some reason. There's a few that are gone now on the next page.
I think it's a forum issue - the anime thread went through the same thing a while back, then it popped back up again.
WRATH OF MAN was pretty great. Nice and intense.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
Saw an obvious candidate for this thread, the Anthony Bourdain documentary Roadrunner. I was surprised by what a broadside attack on Asia Argento it is. The movie basically lays his suicide at her feet, and all the talking heads are united in their barely unspoken contempt for her. She's Yoko crossed with Courtney Love, and also a direct transposition of his problems with addiction, his new heroin. Kind of bracing, unethical stuff for a doc that had until this point felt more like hagiography.

Otherwise, it's bit of a collage of Bourdain media, sometimes effective, sometimes boring. Without a doubt, I'd have enjoyed two episodes of No Reservations more, but it did make me want to watch some of those. I don't feel I know him any better than his shows allowed me to, as it really only offers the obvious insight that he, like just about every famous raconteur, felt an enormous amount of pressure to live up to his established persona, when he was naturally much more of an introvert.

It's not great, but it didn't make me mad. Even the Argento stuff, because that's when the movie snapped to attention and started presenting a case. And I suspect, as with most stories of this type, the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
BLOOD RED SKY is like the very definition of a 6.5 out of 10 movie.

Some neat ideas for the genre it's in. Okay core to it. But some awkward structure issues: I actually liked most of the flashbacks and to some degree even thought they were semi-necessary, but they weren't integrated well--some of the transitions in and out of them had me LOLing--and probably needed more character development for the lead character and the son in terms of what the movie was trying to do dramatically. I think the opening scene actively undermined the film because it gave you a pretty decent idea of where everything was going before it even started getting there. And then the movie becomes this unwieldy thing where you have flashbacks within a big flashback and everything starts to run a bit long. There was a point where I thought I was in the final act of the thing, saw I had an hour left, wondered how, and then realized, oh, we have to have an hour where everything gets FUBAR. Also, while I often appreciate a movie choosing to end quickly after its climax, this one did feel like it needed just a little bit more denouement or something in terms of resolution. Felt a bit rushed.

Aside from some iffy storytelling, I thought the execution of everything was, you know, fine. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between this and a decent TV two-parter or something, but hey, TV is pretty good these days.

Purcell's role in this was on some real bad guy version of Steven-Segal-in-EXECUTIVE-DECISION-type shit.
the empire never ended
The flashbacks in Blood Red Sky are funny, I wouldn't say they were bad, there's some good stuff in them, but the movie is so fucking long and the flashbacks add nothing at all that once I really starting feeling that movie's runtime I was like: All those flashbacks should have been cut from the movie.

I'd completely disagree with the flashbacks even being somewhat semi-necessary too...which is why while watching the movie I started thinking they should've all been cut to help with its runtime problem. Outside of the specifics of exactly how she became a vampire, and the specifics of how she got that medicine she has, there's nothing they tell you that the movie doesn't already tell you simply by the fact that her son is still a human and she's flying to New York for a procedure that will hopefully make her human again. 

Given the movie's extremely long length, I was disappointed that more of it's runtime wasn't dedicated to the airplane being a vampire hive. The movie teases this right at the start of the movie, but it really only does anything with it right at the very end.

I can't imagine modern tv (or streaming service) having the self restraint to do something like this as a two parter. I watched that HBO miniseries The Outsider recently, I liked it, but that thing did not need to be ten episodes. I did find it funny that Doctor Sleep and it both had woodland sniper traps.

Live-action stuff on Netflix so rarely seems to have an English Dub that I found it funny that this of all things got one given there's so much English in it already.
The Vault (the 2021 heist film, not the 2017 horror film) was a pretty present little surprise. Doesn't really tread any new ground in the genre, but it handles all the basics capably, has a neat setting and backdrop, and just enough good characterization and complications to keep things engaging. Plus one of the better sequel teases I've seen in a while. Basically a million times better than a film with five credited screenwriters has any right to be.
Just this guy, you know?