Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The All Purpose NEW RELEASES THAT AREN'T WORTH A DEDICATED THREAD Thread
Because we're indifferent about plenty of new releases.

First up: PAPILLON, the remake starring Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek.  It apparently opens this week in what appears to be, for all intents and purposes, a dump.  I started seeing commercials for it this week, which tells me that they aren't doing a major marketing push for it.  Any word/buzz on this?
This is honestly the first I've heard of it, and I've hardly been in a cabin in the woods lately.
(08-22-2018, 05:18 PM)Reasor Wrote: This is honestly the first I've heard of it, and I've hardly been in a cabin in the woods lately.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I'm kinda amazed, actually.  The original was a really high profile film for Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.  You'd think that this remake would have some sort of 'it' factor to give it some marketability or visibility, but I guess not.  I can't think of the last time that a major film like this got essentially released with such a trivial marketing push behind it.
Same, interesting reading the reviews. Doesn't seem to be that bad, doesn't seem to be that great. It's just... there.

Honestly, I know the original is a classic, but it doesn't strike me as one of those films that sits forefront in the public consciousness, so if the remake wasn't going to be STELLAR it was always going to drop without a trace. Not sure what it says about 'current year' or other relevance a modern remake could have. It's not a particularly flashy story so isn't going to pack in the multiplexes. Just... what were they thinking?
MILE 22 blows.
I seem to remember that the film was a passion project of Hunnam's. I think he passed on the PACIFIC RIM sequel in order to get PAPILLON made...or something.

Whatever. It seems to be being released with all of the enthusiasm of a discarded Kleenex.
I saw Mile 22 to $how my appreciation for Iko Uwais. I should have rented Headshot.
I'm not Avery.
If you want some good Iko Uwais check out Beyond Skyline, if you haven't already.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(08-22-2018, 05:32 PM)first class 782 Wrote: I saw Mile 22 to $how my appreciation for Iko Uwais.  I should have rented Headshot.

And Beyond Skyline.
BEYOND SKYLINE is terrific. That movie has it all.

Uwais should be fine. Still has TRIPLE THREAT in the can which is going to be incredible, is doing a movie with Bautista and has a Netflix series on the horizon. MILE 22 is just a blip for him. Probably the end of The Walking Dead lady's movie career though.
Teen Titans Go to the Movies is low key the best comedy of the summer. Also, it has the darkest joke about Batman imaginable.
Now I'm curious.  I love me some dark Batman jokes.  

(Image source: Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind, which you should get a copy of right now if you haven't read it).
Nobody's going to see KIN right?

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies is great. Will Arnett's V/O performance as Slade is medal-worthy. And yeah, that Batman joke kills.
I saw the poster for Kin and I am just amazed how many movies are now allowed to exist for no one to see them.
the empire never ended
We're all psyched and ticketed up for SEARCHING, yes?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I feel like August only ever has one spot for a surprise hit, and Crazy Rich Asians nabbed it.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
(08-22-2018, 05:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I can't think of the last time that a major film like this got essentially released with such a trivial marketing push behind it.
Well, there was the Matthew Broderick remake of The Music Man. I literally forgot that existed between the time of its release and the moment a decade and change later where a girl I was dating brought it up.
(08-22-2018, 08:25 PM)MichaelM Wrote: We're all psyched and ticketed up for SEARCHING, yes?

It looks like fun. I also hope it does decent business because its not everyday you see John Cho in a lead with an Indian American directing.
(08-22-2018, 08:22 PM)wasp Wrote: I saw the poster for Kin and I am just amazed how many movies are now allowed to exist for no one to see them.

You guys know tax write-offs and money laundering are a thing, right?
(08-23-2018, 02:28 AM)commodorejohn Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 05:21 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: I can't think of the last time that a major film like this got essentially released with such a trivial marketing push behind it.
Well, there was the Matthew Broderick remake of The Music Man. I literally forgot that existed between the time of its release and the moment a decade and change later where a girl I was dating brought it up.

I thought that was a TV movie?
I swear I saw paid film critics actually reviewing it at the time, which I can't recall them ever bothering with for TV movies, but its existence has already begun to fade again, so I could simply not be remembering correctly.
KIN looks like an Amblin-ified reimagining of Laserblast.

On Netflix.
Anyone excited for AXEL? About a kid who finds a discarded robot dog and fights to keep it from the corrupt parties that created it? I liked Chappie, but was thinking I'd like it better if Chappie had no dialogue, and was a dog.

Oh and if the other protagonists weren't a cringe inducing south African, um... "rap" duo playing at acting.

But anyway, if I had to choose one movie about a boy and his dog between ALPHA and AXEL, it'd be AXEL, because I really like robots, or something.
Git' in under mah belly!
The lead kid in Axel is the same dude who played the oldest son in Colony, and he was BY FAR the worst thing about Colony, so no. Not looking forward to Axel.
Never watched Colony. How was that?
Git' in under mah belly!
It was actually really good and criminally underappreciated. But that kid was fucking terrible.
My friend/Pooh entheusiast saw Christopher Robin. They thought it sucked.
(08-24-2018, 11:54 PM)kyle reese 2 Wrote: My friend/Pooh entheusiast saw Christopher Robin. They thought it sucked.
I haven't even paid attention to the question of the film itself; I'm still trying to get over how they decided to make a movie about the disillusionment of the fictional counterpart of the person who hated having his actual life overshadowed by his fictional counterpart. That's some kind of meta-fucked.
This one might be enough for its own thread, but how about SUPPORT THE GIRLS? It seems to have gotten really good reviews, and I loved his last movie, RESULTS. That one was set in a fitness center and has one of my favorite Guy Pearce performances; this seems to be a similar workplace comedy but is at a "breastaraunt."
home taping is killing music
Support the Girls is pretty great, I just saw it last night.
AXL looks like a fake movie poster you'd see in another movie.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
SEARCHING does sound interesting based on what little I've heard.
(08-22-2018, 05:12 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Because we're indifferent about plenty of new releases.

First up: PAPILLON, the remake starring Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek.  It apparently opens this week in what appears to be, for all intents and purposes, a dump.  I started seeing commercials for it this week, which tells me that they aren't doing a major marketing push for it.  Any word/buzz on this?

Despite seeing the trailer for this when the trailer came out, I totally forgot this movie was a thing. Looked nice from the trailer, or at least nicely shot anyways. Kind of surprised I didn't see a trailer for it after that, it's a Bleecker Street movie, and Bleecker Street at least was running lots of ad space before stuff on YouTube.
I thought Alpha was surprisingly decent; it made me think of a Malick movie if he was more accessible.