Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The 13th Season
Our favourite collection of sociopaths are BACK! 

"I was super sad, and you told me I needed something Dennis shaped to fill my hole."

That, ripped Gay Mac. The Gang doing #MeToo, the ladies doing the Boggs (R.I.P.) challenge on the way to the Woman's March and what appears to be a Seinfeld episode...I am so glad this is coming back. 

Taking bets on how long Mindy Kaling's gonna last before her character's life is irreversibly ruined?
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
The Sunny the 13th poster that was released.
Dennis has to be the guy in the jason mask... right? Are we finally going to see him exposed as a the serial killer we all know he is?
The only acceptable way for this show to end is with Dennis finally murdering everyone before dying of the gunshot wounds Frank inflicts on him.

At which point Cricket crawls out and teabags everyone's corpses.
"I mean don't get me wrong fucking the wolf man is impressive but ugh." - Waaaaaaaalt
Was that Charlie dressed up like Kramer...that’s amazing.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Everything with the Dennis sex doll was gold. I do wish they had drawn out real Dennis’s return a couple more episodes though. Have them actually be successful for a bit before bringing him back and dragging them down. 

And was that the first time we’ve heard an uncensored “fuck” in the show? I know the Americans was getting away with a few per episode.
It was purposefully awkward, but once I got what they were going for, I thought it was pretty great by the end (although I thought Mindy Kaling's performance was flat and bad. Are we sure she can act?)

Quote:And was that the first time we’ve heard an uncensored “fuck” in the show? I know the Americans was getting away with a few per episode.

Did they say it while they were in the lawyer's office during "Hero or Hate Crime?"
Kaling was weird in this. Distracting.
I didn't even notice a "fuck". I think it's just funnier to say "banging that thing" than "fucking that thing" anyway. Of course, the best phrasing is "Mac's shooting his loads into that thing". Particularly when tossed off by Dennis at end.
Yeah, she was only there for like 5 minutes and only seemed like she fit during the dinner scene.

(09-06-2018, 09:19 PM)schwartz Wrote: Of course, the best phrasing is "Mac's pumping his loads into that thing".  Particularly when tossed off by Dennis at end.

Or the casual reference to him bleaching it clean.
Two great callbacks that they thankfully underplayed:

Steve Winwood playing softly in the background when Charlie walks in on the Waitress and the RealDennis, and afterward at the strip club, Mac reassuring Charlie that "well, Dennis is a bastardman."
(09-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Kaling was weird in this. Distracting.

Yeah she really dragged the episode down for me. It felt like she was reading lines off a teleprompter or something.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
(09-08-2018, 09:44 AM)Evi Wrote: Yeah she really dragged the episode down for me. It felt like she was reading lines off a teleprompter or something.
I thought this as well. During her final monologue to the gang, there are a couple of moments where it appears she's looking over their shoulders, as if she was reading cue cards. She was really jarring, and not in the way the show intended.
It wouldn’t be that surprising if Kaling wasn’t really available to rehearse, and they shot her 3 scenes in the course of a single afternoon on standing sets (Paddy’s/the apartment).
Caught up on this last night. Ripped Mac has a lot of potential, especially if everyone else continues not to notice or care.
(09-05-2018, 11:43 PM)Paul755 Wrote: Everything with the Dennis sex doll was gold. I do wish they had drawn out real Dennis’s return a couple more episodes though. Have them actually be successful for a bit before bringing him back and dragging them down. 

And was that the first time we’ve heard an uncensored “fuck” in the show? I know the Americans was getting away with a few per episode.

If Dennis is really back and this isn't some collective hallucination, I definitely would have loved for the Dennis doll bit to go on longer.  My pitch would have been for Mac to start a serious relationship with 'Dennis', like taking him out on dates and romancing him, with Dennis catching him with the doll in a truly embarrassing position and/or Dennis finds and throws out the doll before Mac sees him and Mac becomes convinced that the real Dennis is the doll brought to life.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Did they have a contest where a fan got to write a script? Because that was pretty bad.

Dennis flipping out on Mac for sitting down was funny but that's about it.

And do companies really build escape rooms in your own home? That rang really false.
(09-13-2018, 04:43 AM)mike j Wrote: Did they have a contest where a fan got to write a script? Because that was pretty bad.

Dennis flipping out on Mac for sitting down was funny but that's about it.

And do companies really build escape rooms in your own home? That rang really false.

Yeah, everything definitely feels a bit off through the first 2 episodes. I got an absolute kick out of the "summit," though. Anytime Charlie puts on his fake, not quite British, "smart" accent I can't help but laugh. 

The escape room in the apartment threw me for a loop as well. It was distracting as I tried to figure out the logistics of how/why a company would do that. Essentially the only reason they did that was for Dee to be locked in Dennis' room which is ok but could have been saved for pretty much any other episode/scenario.

Hoping they find their stride here soon. I really enjoyed Season 12 and was hoping for more of that.
I liked this one! Not a classic or anything, but a straight-down-the-middle episode with a couple of good laughs and at the very least, the chemistry was back in full force after last week's ep. Loved the summit scene and Dennis's creepy recording.
A lot of the episode fell flat for me, but everything about Dennis's bedroom more than enough to make up for it. I also love when the gang gets fixated and overly competitive on the most bizarre things, like getting the first bite of the steak.
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
The summit was great (the pompous table pounding, and that they didn't bother any explanation for how they all acquired pipes especially), but otherwise I agree that this was generally too on the nose. It's a fine line, but the gang needs a certain level of denial, or at least obliviousness, about what they are doing for maximum effectiveness.  The guys seemed a little too self-aware about what was driving them in this episode; it's funniest when they know what toxic masculinity requires them to do, but flounder at figuring out why they actually need to do it.  When they just start out saying "well, per my toxic masculinity..." it kind of kills the joke.  

There's a lot of that going around in the later seasons.  I think the guys' cruelty to Dee worked better when it is casual and oblivious rather than pointed and explicit, and I may be alone on this, but I think the Dennis serial killer stuff was funnier when it was vague implication rather than a clearly articulated part of his character that everyone else comments directly upon.  Similarly Mac coming out has made his obsession with Dennis into fully direct text.

The gang was certainly stupider than ever in this episode, but they were also more self-aware, which is an odd fit.
Not perfect but I liked it a lot. The stuff with the gum, the summit, everyone determined not to touch Mac’s bike, the scratches on Mac’s face during the summit, Dennis flipping out over Mac sitting down. Dennis’ creepy room was the perfect final touch.
(09-13-2018, 08:21 AM)adamclane99 Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 04:43 AM)mike j Wrote: And do companies really build escape rooms in your own home? That rang really false.

The escape room in the apartment threw me for a loop as well. It was distracting as I tried to figure out the logistics of how/why a company would do that. Essentially the only reason they did that was for Dee to be locked in Dennis' room which is ok but could have been saved for pretty much any other episode/scenario.

It did feel like they reverse engineered a reason for the gang to be in a confined space. I'd say the premise wasn't strong, but there were a lot of funny moments. I was surprised by the sweetness of the final scene.
I wasn't quite following at the start and didn't even realise the escape room was in their apartment until we saw Dennis recording.
(09-13-2018, 05:39 PM)Pither Wrote: It did feel like they reverse engineered a reason for the gang to be in a confined space. I'd say the premise wasn't strong, but there were a lot of funny moments. I was surprised by the sweetness of the final scene.
Yeah, the premise itself was kind of odd and bad. I had some laughs, but it felt off.

This was written by Megan Ganz, who joined last season and wrote "The Gang Tends Bar," which I also wasn't crazy about. Last season had 3-4 gems surrounded by a fair amount of dross; I'm hoping the rest of this season is better.
Liked this one more than I thought I would. But still meh. Didn’t anticipate it would be a take off on stuff like Oceans 8 or the McCarthy/Wiig Ghostbusters.

I did like the potential tease of a Super Bowl episode when the fight attendant mentioned to Dee that he served them at some restaurant in Minnesota.
Dammit I just want the gang to be back at Paddy's! Every episode so far, something has been off. Episode 1 was missing Dennis and had a very horrible Mindy Kayling. Episode 2 was confined to the apartment through some weird escape room gimmick. Episode 3 was all of the women on a plane in a "reboot" of the original.

You can say "oh, it's meta" but that doesn't mean it can't be funny. I'm really just looking forward to the gang all hanging out and then splitting off in teams to do their schemes as usual. My favorite scene so far this season was of Mac, Dennis, Frank and Charlie smoking their pipes and pounding the table at their "summit."

Anyways, rant over. Still looking forward to the rest of the season. Especially that Super Bowl episode. I'm curious how they will portray my hometown Minneapolis...hopefully, in typical Sunny fashion.
Not great, but worth it for adding "soyboybetacuck" to the lexicon.
I'll always prefer having the whole gang together, but this was a decent showcase for Dee, and I was glad to see Artemis again.
So far this season, I've laughed when they weren't endlessly commenting on the show itself. Feels like that's been about 5 percent of the material. The next episode is once again written by Ganz; can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Also, I was really looking forward to more Artemis, but the wacked-out character from the earlier seasons is gone.
The Fan Fiction season continues. Satire is fine but Jesus, does it have to be so on the nose? Artemis selling labia rings got a laugh out of me and that was it.

I didn't see the preview for next week.

Do they go to a haunted house?
(09-20-2018, 06:30 PM)Mangy Wrote: So far this season, I've laughed when they weren't endlessly commenting on the show itself. Feels like that's been about 5 percent of the material.

Exactly.  It's kind of what I was getting at before, the gang actually seems to understand its internal dynamic fairly accurately now, and it's not as fun for it.
Definitely, and you said it better earlier, but this episode really solidified it. As you said above, the joy was in these guys being juuuuuuuust oblivious enough to be hilariously pathetic. It's even extended to the Waitress. It's like each character progression has gone exactly one step too far.

Also, the Frank cameo made me laugh in the moment, then I think: isn't he still sleeping with Artemis? I thought that might pay off, but it was just an excuse for a gang cameo, as was the Mac/Charlie phone call. It was so minimal that it was distracting. Bring back the Gang.
In the 13th Season, I’ve got no problem with them going out of the bar more regularly.

Next week, for those interested, is the sexual harassment seminar episode that has featured pretty big in the season previews.
Fun episode that went a bit overboard with the meta. I liked the first conversation about all-female reboots but they should have left it at that. No need for De Vito to make remarks about cameos etc. Everything involving Artemis and Dee was gold, though.
Frank was the mvp. But Dennis doing the summation at the end was fantastic.

The idea that Dee raped Charlie...a bit much though.