Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
West Side Story Pre-Release Discussion (Spielberg ... 2020?) sponsored by Overlord
Thank you for the additional detail!

I am soooooo glad this isn't the way I watch movies!

COOL!
Very well.
ah, the cadence
I also like Willie Scott.
Willie's great. She's the audience surrogate. We'd all piss and moan the whole time, too.
And she is super helpful and tough by the end of the movie!

tougher than Marion! INDYYYYYYYYY HELPMEEEEEEEEE
(09-24-2020, 09:55 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I also like Willie Scott.

I've definitely grown tolerate towards Willie, but they should have toned down some of the screaming.
(09-25-2020, 12:02 AM)mola ram Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 09:55 PM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: I also like Willie Scott.

I've definitely grown tolerate towards Willie, but they should have toned down some of the screaming.

Maybe Indy could have slapped her around a little!!

(09-24-2020, 11:12 PM)Nooj Wrote: And she is super helpful and tough by the end of the movie!

tougher than Marion! INDYYYYYYYYY HELPMEEEEEEEEE

I will not stand for Marion Ravenwood being assassinated in this fashion!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The idea of Marion being the spunky tough as nails broad does kind fall flat towards the end where she's reduced to a damsel in distressed for the last 30 minutes. That doesn't really hurt the film, it's just what it is.

The real tragedy of Marion is how she's a total third wheel in CRYSTAL SKULL. I don't think she ever gets to do ANYTHING substantial.
WILLIE SCOTT REMAINS IN THE LEAD!!!
IT’S SKYWALKER!!!
To be fair to Willie, the stuff she is presented with is generally worth screaming about.
(09-25-2020, 02:10 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote: The real tragedy of Marion is how she's a total third wheel in CRYSTAL SKULL. I don't think she ever gets to do ANYTHING substantial.

This I certainly agree with. I'd rather she wasn't in the film at all.
The Darabont script is so much better about Marion. She feels like Marion. Not a sweet soccer Mom who's happy to be there.
That's one of the areas Darabont's is better, certainly.
*Hand hovers over "Nuke this Thread from Orbit" button ...*

Can we really be sure that would work?

Trailer is apparently arriving tonight.
My Janusz Kaminski fears appear real.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker
That thudding! I was sure Batman was going to show up.

Kind of a limp teaser, I have to be honest.  Was hoping for more of a glimpse of Virtuoso Spielberg here.

But maybe that's not in the cards at all.

Obviously I'll see it, but it's looking more like a "take Mom to a matinee when I'm home for Christmas" type of thing than a "there opening night" event.
(04-25-2021, 08:48 PM)eviltwin Wrote: My Janusz Kaminski fears appear real.

Lush, vibrant colors went out with the Eisenhower administration, grandpa. You'll occupy this low contrast, desaturated hell and like it.
Honestly, the trailer is the first thing that's piqued my interest in this.
This is the one starring the guy who assaulted a minor? No wonder his name was left off the teaser poster.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
I dunno gents I think Kaminski is actually trying here.

[Image: Ez3Gp-nUcAYcNKb?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]
That's the most interesting shot, certainly.

I just want to see Spielberg bring it. He's wanted to make a musical for decades, and I'd like to be dazzled.
(04-25-2021, 09:19 PM)bradito Wrote: Honestly, the trailer is the first thing that's piqued my interest in this.

You love every trailer!  You're a trailer slut!!!

I'm a big fan of '80s and '90s trailers. I love a good voiceover narration!
(04-26-2021, 01:53 AM)bradito Wrote: I'm a big fan of '80s and '90s trailers. I love a good voiceover narration!

In a world in which every trailer begins with a ponderously dramatic narration ...

Spielberg wins. Again.

Much love, Beardysteve.

I clicked on this thread expecting cracks at Kaminski and was not disappointed to see this was the first updated post.

It’s like ever since CRYSTAL SKULL he’s been Chud’s favorite whipping boy.
(04-26-2021, 11:35 AM)mr. stockslivevan Wrote:

I clicked on this thread expecting cracks at Kaminski and was not disappointed to see this was the first updated post.

It’s like ever since CRYSTAL SKULL he’s been Chud’s favorite whipping boy.

Maybe. But, not being a fan of his color desaturated, low contrast cinematography is pretty consistent. I've no issue with him on the likes of Bridge of Spies or Minority Report or Lincoln. And, yeah, it would be hard to be as vibrant as the original. Kaminski isn't a hack, but I think the material asks for something bolder.
"Such is the heroic burden. We must always mourn our fallen. Gone Forever! Dead like Robin! Like Supergirl! Deceased like Superman! Hal Jordan! All gone! I weep for them, and know that someday I shall join them. I must go weep. Like a hero." -- Kyle Baker