Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
UNDERWATER (2020) - Kristen Stewart
I think The Descent would totally work fine if it did immediately begin with the women trapped. The thing I liked about Underwater, is that claustrophobic feeling is felt throughout the feeling. By starting the movie with Stewart alone in the locker room, it really hits on how isolated all of these characters are.

(05-11-2021, 08:56 AM)Evi Wrote: Any time somebody on the internet claims a preference, he means he is objectively correct. That's just science.

This is also true.  I am correct, you are wrong. 

I've literally been saying this since I got to this forum.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
The Descent would definitely work if it started that way, but it'd be a different film. The first act is largely required to set up her trauma and the queasy dynamics with her friend who slept with her husband, without it the film would feel a bit more meat-and-potatoes like Predator. It's a level that Underwater works on and I'm totally cool with that. It's actually when it *does* try to set up a traumatic past for Stewart's character that I feel it stumbles, because it's unnecessary and unearned. In the moment it reminded me of Sandra Bullock's late-in-the-game reveal about her son in Gravity.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Underwater is one extremely long series of

NEEEEEEWP

situations.
Jeez, this thread got even worse after I went to bed.
that's what you get for going to bed
How this movie merited 7 pages of new posts in 24 hours is beyond me.
'make sure you pay attention to the awesome suits' - Nooj on UNDERWATER
(05-11-2021, 12:52 AM)bradito Wrote: The doggo turning into the Thing in the kennel and getting napalmed is the end of Act I. This is where the characters find out as a group that whatever killed those Swedes is now alive and on the loose at their camp.

The doggo arriving at the base is the inciting incident.

Bill Lancaster's a good writer!

Norwegians for fuck's sake Bradley.
(05-11-2021, 11:40 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: How this movie merited 7 pages of new posts in 24 hours is beyond me.

it came from good natured banter and story structure and filmmaking discussion

I love it

as Belloq said, SUCH A FUN THREAD
BUT HOW ARE THE SUITS, NOOJ???????
(05-11-2021, 11:40 AM)shan Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 12:52 AM)bradito Wrote: The doggo turning into the Thing in the kennel and getting napalmed is the end of Act I. This is where the characters find out as a group that whatever killed those Swedes is now alive and on the loose at their camp.

Norwegians are a good writer??
Finally the amount of posts this film deserves.
It's definitely had some *interesting takes* regarding The Abyss and The Descent. Holy Christ.
If you like first acts so much why don't you marry one!
I've been friendzoned. It was the first act turning point!
(05-11-2021, 11:51 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: BUT HOW ARE THE SUITS, NOOJ???????

exquisite!
(05-11-2021, 11:57 AM)bradito Wrote: It's definitely had some *interesting takes* regarding The Abyss and The Descent. Holy Christ.

Is anyone actually denigrating THE ABYSS, though, or the time it takes to set things up? I love the movie and wouldn't cut anything from the first act.

THE DESCENT was...fine? TBH, I don't remember it very well. Watched it once at home, more then ten years ago. It didn't make a huge impression...

...but I'm also definitely not arguing it's a bad film or takes too long to get going.

Is anyone actually saying that?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
THE ABYSS also benefits from being exceptionally well acted. When you have great actors driving a first act, you're engaged. I'm not saying that the acting is bad in UNDERWATER but it's not at the same level as what's in THE ABYSS.
(05-11-2021, 11:40 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: How this movie merited 7 pages of new posts in 24 hours is beyond me.

I'm trying to stay out of the political threads so it's probably some overcompensation on my part.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

(05-11-2021, 01:05 PM)MichaelM Wrote:

I'm trying to stay out of the political threads so it's probably some overcompensation on my part.

I've been out of them for months.  Best decision that I've made in a long time.
(05-11-2021, 01:00 PM)MichaelM Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 11:57 AM)bradito Wrote: It's definitely had some *interesting takes* regarding The Abyss and The Descent. Holy Christ.

Is anyone actually denigrating THE ABYSS, though, or the time it takes to set things up? I love the movie and wouldn't cut anything from the first act.

Is anyone actually saying that?

Well, somebody's got ol' simbob on ignore...
Oh, yes. For a loooooong time now.

You're missing some Hot Takes!
Hot like a fresh pile of dog poop?

(05-11-2021, 01:05 PM)MichaelM Wrote: I'm trying to stay out of the political threads so it's probably some overcompensation on my part.

You've also been staying out of the Knives Out thread and not responding to my post about the main theme of the movie being an exploration of the corrupting influence of "birthright greed."  A post I made in directly reply to a question you asked.

Here's a handy link:  http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread....pid4790309

Staying out because I need to do a rewatch, and that likely won't happen for a couple of weeks. Work is soulcrushing now so all I really have time for is using the wrong foreign language phrase to demonstrate my incredible ignorance about filmmaking!

(05-11-2021, 03:24 PM)MichaelM Wrote: Staying out because I need to do a rewatch, and that likely won't happen for a couple of weeks. 

You'll decide that I am right and "birthright greed" is the main theme as opposed to "xenophobia"/"white privilege"/any derivation thereof (though I believe those are ancillary strands present in the film, don't get me wrong).

Birthright greed makes sense to me.

/end derail.
Underwater pretty explicitly “borrows” the best scare out of the Descent.
(05-11-2021, 11:54 AM)bradito Wrote:

Actually, yes.

I posted this before on the non-dedicated TV thread but this Norwegian TV show (Beforeigners) in partnership with HBO is IMO great.

Well this is a thread.

To me the nub of the problem is that, there's nothing wrong with narratively slight, chase or escape based B-movies. But this one is nudging cult favorite status enough that people wish the cool scenario and atmosphere it created was fleshed out better. That and there's a lot to take in since it's an unusual scenario. If it was on a regular remote locale like a ship or drilling rig or even in space I think we know what to expect there and it's easier to be economical (although people will say that doesn't necessarily help with character development troubles, but I think it makes following along easier).

It's also a thing that these are mostly periferal workers in a large facility (that's getting smaller by the minute) who aren't connected to The Problem. In Alien or The Thing the cast aren't important people necessarily, but they are central to uncovering and addresing the problem. Underwater has that disaster movie thing where these people are side players trying to get out of the way for the most part. One of them might have something to do with the central problem, but it is more of an easter egg.

Anyway, it's all been said really. I liked it. Watched it twice (mainly to have a closer squint at the inky darkness). Has some dumb things like black-out rescues etc. Yeah, I'd be curious to see what it'd be like if it was more conventional. But I think it worked on the principle of get in, get out, leave 'em wanting more. For better or worse.
It’s certainly better than it’s contemporaries leviathan or Deepstar Six.

Not sure if it’s better than Pandorum.
(05-12-2021, 04:25 AM)shan Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 11:54 AM)bradito Wrote:

Actually, yes.

I posted this before on the non-dedicated TV thread but this Norwegian TV show (Beforeigners) in partnership with HBO is IMO great.

Thanks.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Thanks to this thread, I watched the first episode last night. Decent to pretty good!

And wile we are on the subject of TV shows that require subtitles....30 Coins on HBOMax. Fucking utterly bonkers and I love it.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
I watched the first couple of episodes of that. Bonkers is the right word. It's like a mashup of The X-Files, the Prophecy movie series, and a Mexican telenovella.