Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
UNDERWATER (2020) - Kristen Stewart
Wait...

You've never seen The Thing...?

Don't tell me that. If it's true, just delete your account, and walk calmly into the ocean.
I've seen "The Thing."
I've seen some things
I've also seen the prequel, "The Thing."
The prequel is over hated.
I that that thing in theaters

it was so so
I've seen THINGS (1989).

Or rather, I experienced it.

[Image: MV5BNzVmYTJiMGEtNzJhMC00NmZlLThhNjAtYzQ5...@._V1_.jpg]
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
I've seen both "The Thing" and "The Thing" in the theater.

So I win.
Wait a fucking second.

shan has NOT seen 1982's The Thing?

GET ON THAT. PRONTO.

The 2011 version isn't terrible but that's the kindest thing I can say about it.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(05-12-2021, 10:30 PM)freeman Wrote: Wait...

You've never seen The Thing...?

Don't tell me that. If it's true, just delete your account, and walk calmly into the ocean.

I missed *that reference* in regards to the post.

The Thing I've seen and also gave a copy to a colleague as a going away gift before he started his new job in Antarctica.

PS:

You have got to be fucking kidding me with this reaction!

Of course I've seen The Thing!
(05-12-2021, 11:07 PM)bradito Wrote: I've seen both "The Thing" and "The Thing" in the theater.

So I win.

I haven't seen all the stranger things
Freeman thinks I'm old because I went to a midnight showing of "The Thing" in like 2010? Was that back when his mummy and daddy wouldn't let him watch anything but Pixar movies?
Original theatrical run or it doesn't count you fucking poser!

I'm scrubbing through Deepstar Six and Leviathan clips out of curiosity and trying to remember them both...

This is just terrible.  Just the drizzling shits.
Seeing a movie in the theater doesn't count as seeing a movie in the theater?
Absolutely not. Obviously.
Anyway. Deep Blue Sea features better underwear than Underwater.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Now there’s a fun movie.
Full agreement on both counts.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Deep Blue Sea isn't in the league of movies we're talking about. It's (somehow!) one of the coolest most fun creature features there is. For a moment I thought Tom Jane was a legit badass.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
What about THE RIFT (aka ENDLESS DESCENT)? You guys like that one? Impeccably structured, with an entire first act devoted to people casually chatting and staring at beeping computer screens, like the good Lord intended.
Haven't seen it or even heard of it.

(05-13-2021, 09:34 AM)MichaelM Wrote: Haven't seen it or even heard of it.

Its part of the post-ABYSS underwater monster movie blitz of '89-'90, and its probably the worst of them.
It’s entertainingly bad.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
THE RIFT has some fun creature effects, but that's about it. Ray Wise and R. Lee Ermey are solid in it.

I'd place it below both LEVIATHAN and DEEPSTAR SIX, but above LORDS OF THE DEEP.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
The Rift cured my insomnia one evening!
:: checks in on why a years old thread for a fine movie keeps getting new comments ::

Yeah, that's abou--wait, hasn't seen The Thing?!

This has been a very educational thread. In it, I've learned that folks will default to liking a movie that's newer more than a movie that's better; seeing a movie in the theater doesn't count as seeing a movie; and as long as things are happening, it's not important to give the audience any reason to care.

I have learned so much this week about the TC tastemakers' taste!
I've learned that Brad rigorously applies the rules of storytelling to movies about Cthulhu but not to movies about space wizards using lazerswords!

I mean, every SW movie at least has three acts. Some don't offer much beyond that but still.
It's cool that UNDERWATER's abrupt start doesn't work for you! But let's not pretend that, say, TROS, is some kind of clean, admirable model of structural integrity and storytelling competence. Or any kind of competence. At all.

It's okay to think that both movies have script problems. Underwater had more time to fix them in post.
(05-12-2021, 05:54 PM)freeman Wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

The official Underwater trailer cuts together as if the movie DOES have a traditional setup period!!! I can’t even.

is that stuff at the beginning of the trailer from deleted scenes?  or do they actually appear later in the movie?
(05-13-2021, 02:34 PM)Nooj Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 05:54 PM)freeman Wrote:

HAHAHAHA!

The official Underwater trailer cuts together as if the movie DOES have a traditional setup period!!! I can’t even.

is that stuff at the beginning of the trailer from deleted scenes?  or do they actually appear later in the movie?
The narration is def trailer only.  But yeah scenes are reorganized to make it seem like there are scenes with the crew chilling before the accident.

(05-13-2021, 01:38 PM)bradito Wrote: This has been a very educational thread. In it, I've learned that folks will default to liking a movie that's newer more than a movie that's better; seeing a movie in the theater doesn't count as seeing a movie; and as long as things are happening, it's not important to give the audience any reason to care.

I have learned so much this week about the TC tastemakers' taste!
Man, why do you always have to get so testy with stuff like this?  It's not that big of a deal.

I like movies that maintain the traditional three act structure; I like moves that go out of their way to avoid that.  Both are valid way to make movies.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
(05-13-2021, 02:35 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Both are valid way to make movies.

[Image: giphy.gif]