Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Coronavirus Thread, brought to you by Randall Flagg
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ap-med-vi...986bd18d82

50% reduction in hospitalizations/deaths, in relatively cheap pill form. Could be a big help if the FDA finds the data reliable.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Call it "iver-Merck-tin" and it'll sell like hotcakes.
Just slap a picture of a horse on it and authorize distribution through feed stores...

...at the full $700 purchase price.
Of course, this will be the medicine that MAGUHs refuse to take.

Instead, they'll be spraying themselves with bear mace.
Look, any (actual, tested, made for this thing) medicine or method we can use to fight this thing is okay by me, but man, it kinda feels like a get out of jail card. "Hey! Are you an obstinate, anti-vaxxer and anti-masker? Did you get the Rona anyway? Well, take this pill and you can continue bitching to libruls how fake it all is! Without having to stay at the hospital."

At the least, it should probably come with a paddling.

Yup. At least it's expensive.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Assuming the pill actually does reduce hospitalizations/deaths by half, that's not going to change any policies. Sane states will still want vaccine mandates to reduce the economic and health care toll by another 50%, and dumbass states aren't implementing anything even when their morgues literally overflow into the street.

As a couple I know and suspect is unvaccinated prepares to move to Billings, Montana (response: huge side-eye), I learned that property values there are skyrocketing. I can't help but suspect it's at least partially due to a mass exodus of anti-vax idiots.

To which I say: cool!
Eric Clapton isn't just spouting vaccine nonsense. He's bankrolling anti-vaxx protesters:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music...s-1239027/
Not gonna lie, that hurts. Dad was a huge Clapton fan and so growing up, listened to him a bunch and learned to be in awe of the guy's guitar skills. Shit man, the opening to Layla is one of the best riffs of all time. Bah. The whole art and artist thing again, refitted for 2021.

The Archbishop for the Military Services says Catholic troops can refused the COVID vaccine:

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2021/1...es/186056/

Quote:Catholic U.S. troops should be allowed to refuse the COVID-19 vaccine based solely on conscientious objection and regardless of whether abortion-related tissue was used in its creation or testing, the archbishop for the military declared in a new statement supporting service members who are seeking religious exemptions. 

“No one should be forced to receive a COVID-19 vaccine if it would violate the sanctity of his or her conscience,” said Archbishop for the Military Services Timothy P. Broglio, in a statement released Tuesday.

Broglio previously has supported President Joe Biden’s mandatory vaccination order for U.S. troops, citing the church’s guidance that permits Catholics to receive even vaccines derived from fetal tissue, when no other vaccine option is available. In his new statement, the archbishop said that while he still encourages followers and troops to get vaccinated, some troops have questioned if the church’s permission to get vaccinated outweighed their own conscious objections to it.
Nice to see their Archbishop is at least as dumb as his parishioners, thinking that, "My church recommends the vaccine, but says I can say no!" is equivalent to a religious exemption.
John Catanzara remains the worst:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/defy-c...d=msedgntp

Quote:The head of Chicago’s police union has advised officers not to comply with the city’s COVID-19 vaccine reporting requirement and says members should be willing to be sent home without pay rather than submit to the shot mandate for city workers.

With city employees’ vaccine status deadline Friday, Fraternal Order of Police Local 7 President John Catanzara also said in a video posted Tuesday that the union has filed a labor grievance against the city and plans to pursue legal action to fight the mandate.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot, asked about his comments at an unrelated news conference Wednesday, said: “He’s threatening litigation. I say, bring it.”

“I’ve seen some of the messaging from the FOP president, but really what we’re focused on is making sure that we maximize the opportunity to create a very safe workplace,” Lightfoot said.

Catanzara’s video was posted to Facebook and YouTube the same day that the FOP announced the death of former police union President Dean Angelo following his hospitalization with COVID-19 complications.
Seventeen employees have died from COVID in a Florida school district since August:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/17-...d_nn_tw_ma

Quote:Of the staff who died at the Polk County Public Schools, 12 of the 17 had returned to their jobs when the school year began on Aug. 10, said Kyle Kennedy, a district spokesman. The remaining five employees never reported to their jobs this school year.

The district is unaware of how the employees contracted Covid, Kennedy said.

“The pandemic continues to severely impact our community, and many public servants - including educators, healthcare staff, rescue workers and law enforcement officers - are experiencing tragic losses," the district said in a statement.

Polk County is in central Florida, between Tampa and Orlando, and includes the cities of Lakeland and Winter Haven. Its school system is among the 30 largest in the country and serves about 106,000 students, according to the district’s website. Kennedy said the school system has about 14,000 employees.
the summation is entirely expected...

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why Joe Rogan and I sat down and talked -- for more than 3 hours

Quote:I guess a small part of me thought I might change Joe Rogan's mind about vaccines. After this last exchange, I realized it was probably futile. His mind was made up, and there would always be plenty of misinformation out there neatly packaged to support his convictions. Truth is though, I am still glad I did it. My three-hour-long conversation wasn't just with Rogan. If just a few of his listeners were convinced, it will have been well worth it.

Dunning/Kruger-ism will rule the world.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
In the article, Gupta doesn't mention the one clip I've been seeing circulating from that episode: him apologizing multiple times for CNN implying that Joe was taking horse medicine (a human doctor prescribed it to Joe, after all!).

So 3 hours of civil discussion is all well and good, but the clip that's going to run on Tucker Carlson and Daily Wire and get tweeted out by Ted Cruz and the rest of the bad faith sycophants is Dr. Sanjay Gupta apologizing on behalf of his fake news media overlords for lying about ivermectin. Terrific!
I don't know why Gupta thought that arguing with a high school dropout for three hours over vaccines was a good use of his time.
His logic is sound - he wants to get good information to the people who need to hear it the most - but we've seen this movie so many times now; we should know the ending.
(10-14-2021, 05:03 PM)bradito Wrote: I don't know why Gupta thought that arguing with a high school dropout for three hours over vaccines was a good use of his time.

This is the problem with us liberals in that we think that we can logic bomb someone into submission.  All of this, especially the culture wars, is emotional.  I mean I do see the point in that he also believes that it's not just Rogan he's debating but his audience, and so many some of them actually might rethink their stance on Vaccines.  Maybe.

But Rogan is a fucking moron, so of course he's not going to budge.
"God moves in mysterious ways," they said. Maybe he is on your side, the way it all worked out. Remembering other Christmases, wishing for something, something important, something special. And this is it, baby boy Frankie Bono. You're alone now. All alone. The scream is dead. There's no pain. You're home again, back in the cold, black silence
(10-14-2021, 05:33 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 05:03 PM)bradito Wrote: I don't know why Gupta thought that arguing with a high school dropout for three hours over vaccines was a good use of his time.

This is the problem with us liberals in that we think that we can logic bomb someone into submission.

Yeah, if logic could actually solve our problems then we'd all live in paradise already. I still meet a disturbingly large amount of people who are basically like "but, but facts!" regarding the amount of insane nonsense going on right now. It doesn't matter.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Even so, you aren't going to convince anyone (or even arrest their slide into radicalization slightly) by conceding the entire space to ignorant blather. So I don't fucking know, man.
(10-14-2021, 05:50 PM)schwartz Wrote: Even so, you aren't going to convince anyone (or even arrest their slide into radicalization slightly) by conceding the entire space to ignorant blather. So I don't fucking know, man.

Yeah. I mean I have literally heard people call into Sam Seder's show and say that his show swayed them away from the right because his videos started popping up on Youtube. Liberals don't do enough of going into conservatives spaces. It's a slow process but every bit counts.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
You want to really get depressed, listen to the CSPAN call in show.

Wow...the amount of audible crazy is off the scale.

The host(s) deserve hazard pay.
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
You got that right. Ignorant shut-ins. How the hosts keep a neutral demeanor and don't just scream "WTF are you talking about!" They've got way more restraint than I do.
(10-14-2021, 12:54 PM)vtran Wrote: the summation is entirely expected...

Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Why Joe Rogan and I sat down and talked -- for more than 3 hours

Quote:I guess a small part of me thought I might change Joe Rogan's mind about vaccines. After this last exchange, I realized it was probably futile. His mind was made up, and there would always be plenty of misinformation out there neatly packaged to support his convictions. Truth is though, I am still glad I did it. My three-hour-long conversation wasn't just with Rogan. If just a few of his listeners were convinced, it will have been well worth it.

Dunning/Kruger-ism will rule the world.

When I was at Planet Fitness today, I saw that the TV that has Fox News on was doing a segment on that interview. Of course I didn't actually listen to the segment, but I saw the caption was ROGAN GRILLS GUPTA.  Its a safe bet the interview didn't actually go the way Fox said it did.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is I've lost my way. The good news is I'm way ahead of schedule!
Stay safe out there:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/man...d=msedgntp

Quote:A man was stabbed and critically injured Thursday afternoon, after confronting a woman for not wearing a mask inside a convenience store in the West Town neighborhood.

Police said, around 12:45 p.m., a woman walked into a 7-Eleven convenience store in the 500 block of North Halsted Street, with no mask on.

A 48-year-old man inside the store told the woman to put a mask on, and the woman pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim in the abdomen, according to police.
"yeah, I spent 3 years in prison, lost my home, and can't get a job now... but I got to avoid wearing a mask in 7-11... no, wait, I didn't because I was arrested..."
Bizarre stuff:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gop-po...d=msedgntp

Quote:A Republican lawmaker in Alaska reportedly harassed hospital officials to administer the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin to a COVID patient—and even claimed to have power to make medical decisions for the patient— before the man died on Wednesday.

William Topel, a well-known figure in Anchorage’s conservative circles, had been a frequent opponent of public health measures intended to curb the pandemic and regularly showed up at Anchorage Assembly meetings to voice his defiance.

However, he was admitted to a local hospital with COVID symptoms late last week, longtime friend Terrence Shanigan told The Daily Beast on Thursday, not long after he attended an Assembly meeting that involved swarms of unmasked protestors challenging a proposed mask ordinance.

Shanigan, the legislative affairs director for Anchorage Mayor Dave Bronson, said that Topel’s condition had “progressed quite a bit” by the time he got to Providence Alaska Medical Center after initially seeking monoclonal antibodies treatment. “He passed out,” Shanigan said, and was rushed to the hospital by a retired nurse.

“Based on a preponderance of evidence and guidelines from multiple national authorities, Providence Alaska Medical Center does not use Ivermectin to treat COVID-19,” he wrote in an email.

But that didn’t stop Allard and her supporters from continuing to rally for the unproven treatment.

A source told the Landmine that Allard and others kept at it “for days,” and continued “harassing nurses, doctors, and hospital administrators, compromising their ability to provide medical care for other patients.”
Yep. Consistently, what seems to be true is that you CAN change someone's mind...but it's a slow, gradual process, one in which you're able to engage their emotional responses.

Which just doesn't work well on a mass population level. The tragic, horrible truth is that it's far easier to scare the shit out of people and convince them of terrible lies than it is to get them on board with actual fact and reality.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Quote:   “Falsehood will fly, as it were, on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps, though sure, are slow and solemn, and she has neither vigour nor activity enough to pursue and overtake her enemy.”

∼Thomas Francklin, Sermons on Various Subjects, 1787

We are at a place where that one ignorant (crazy?) person who used to only be able to 'preach' to 10-30+/- folk while standing on a crate in the local town square can now electronically spread their ignorance and hatred to thousands of people from the comfort of their home.
I get the feeling that a lot more people are going to die due to this 'virus'.
That's a hefty fine:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ant...d=msedgntp

Quote:Pastor Artur Pawlowski, a pastor for Street Church Ministries in Alberta, Canada, has been known for organizing religious services that break COVID-19 restrictions. This week, Court of Queen's Bench Justice Adam Germain ruled that in addition to probation and paying a $23,000 fine, that when preaching, Pawlowski must also note that most scientific opinions contradict what he claims.
vtran, we do seem to be living in a not as cool version of a Neal Stephenson novel. And the ending will probably be just as unsatisfying.

Suspended:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/physician-...itter_page

Quote:A Washington State physician’s assistant who mounted a “public campaign touting the use of ivermectin” for treating COVID, allegedly bullying hospital staffers to prescribe the unproven drug, had his license suspended by the state medical commission.

Scott Miller runs a private pediatric medical practice in Washougal that provides services such as genetic testing, lactation counseling, and treatment for pediatric autism, ADHD, and sleep disorders. A quote from Miller on his office website says there is “there is no greater calling and joy in [his] life than helping my patients achieve wellness.”

In recent months, Miller has become a presence at Washougal-area community meetings where, according to the Washington Medical Commission, he has spread rampant COVID misinformation, including claims that science does not support mask-wearing on airplanes.
Normal behavior:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...d=msedgntp

Quote:What could have been a simple high school government lecture on civic duty and participation from a local congressman instead became a Covid-19 misinformation fest worthy of a primetime slot on Fox News. Congressman Bob Good (R-Va.) encouraged a group of high school students to defy a statewide school mask mandate, and he spread lies about vaccines and how the virus spreads, the Rappahannock News reported.

“If nobody in Rappahannock complies [with the mask mandate], they can’t stop everyone,” Good told a Rappahannock County High School government class of approximately 20 students this week. “If I was ya’ll, I’d say none of ya’ll wear a mask. What are they gonna do? They’re still going to have school.”

Masking is mandatory for all Virginia students, teachers, staff and visitors in K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status, per a public health order issued by the state’s department of health. But if they acted en masse, Good told the students, they might be able to get away with it because the school “can’t stop everyone.”

Justifying his position, Good said that no scientific evidence exists to prove that masks prevent the spread of Covid-19, and he claimed President Joe Biden and Virginia Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam are “lying to us about the effectiveness of masks.” (There is, in fact, plenty of data showing schools with mask mandates see fewer cases of Covid-19.)