Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WEEKEND WRAP-UP: LET’S TALK ABOUT THE YEAR 2002
I dig this feature. "Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course" made $28 m . Pretty appropriate that "Spider-Man" crushed everything. It definitely laid out a template for the next 18 years of these movies.

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
What a summer!

Ben Affleck was Jack Ryan for a minute.
Oh Signs ... so good right up untillllll ...
(04-06-2020, 02:49 AM)Bucho Wrote: Oh Signs ... so good right up untillllll ...

Nope, it's good until the end.

If War of the Worlds is allowed to have aliens who don't know what fucking bacteria is, Signs can have water. They're the exact same ballpark of completely absurd deus ex machina.
War of the Worlds isn't allowed to have aliens who don't know what fucking bacteria is. That element of that story sucks really badly.

But they're not even close to the same ballpark.

Not even close to close.

Bacteria are literally invisible without magnification. Earth's surface being 70% water is visible to the naked eye from 2 or 3 miles away. Possibly even as many as 3.5 miles away.

The water thing in Signs sucks really, really, really, really, really, really, really badly.

Which is a dang shame, because the movie rules up until that point.
If the creatures pop and terrify, that's the only thing those movies need to get right. And they do. Though Signs lacks a crazed sandwich-making scene

"If we can't be great, let's be truthful."- Sylvester Stallone, commenting the cinematic rendering of what a mounted .50-cal might do to the flesh of enemies in RAMBO.
Oh, the WotW know about bacteria . . . didn't expect they'd fall to it. Signs aliens make no biological sense.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I rather liked SIGNS. That one had some jump scares that made the entire theater shit their pants. Very effective.

The 'Deus-ex-Aqua' at the end never really bothered me, but all of the setup surrounding it (having the daughter leave glasses everywhere, the dying mother saying 'swing', etc) was a tad heavy handed. It didn't sink the movie for me but it still felt a little too strongly put forward.

Also, you're wrong. LOTR:TTT is not the best of the trilogy. FOTR is the best. That said, TTT is the film that probably improves the most with the extended cut. Honestly, though...all three films are uniformly excellent and singling one out as 'the best' seems like a trivial exercise considering how great they all are.