Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Community and The COVID-19 Pandemic
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
?Shameless plug alert - I’m posting this in a couple of threads?

A year or two ago I knocked together a simple game app called Live for the Ding - a quick little game where you have to press Ding not Dong - possibly either the very worst game ever created or the most genius, depending on how addicted you get. 

Suffice to say it didn’t get much (any) attention and withered and died, so I didn’t renew the developer license needed to keep it in the App Store. Anyway, I’ve decided to give it another shot at life while folks are stuck at home and I’ve released it again on the Apple App Store here: Live for the Ding

It’s also available on Android here.

It’s really simple, just press Ding not Dong - seems impossible but once you get into the flow high scores are simple - check out the leaderboards.

Anyway, this might give you something to help you zone out during lockdown or something to compete with with family members and friends during lockdown.

Enjoy (or not).
At work they've limited the number of customers in the store from 100 to 69. We still keep getting the non-essential idiots, buying shit they don't need. I lost my cool with one guy after he mistakenly accused me of double scanning one of his cans of paint. I am soooo not in the fucking mood for this shit right now.
I had to swing by Home Depot yesterday to pick up a replacement CO detector. They have it set up so you can order online and wait for them to bring your items out to you in the parking lot, and they have a line to get into the store. Nevertheless, the place was still packed, with some people even bringing their kids. Absolutely mind-boggling.
My 17yo has two artificial heart valves. He isn't going anywhere.

Still proud of us in LA. The vast majority of us seem to take this seriously. Even got stink-eye not wearing a mask yesterday morning.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I hit the grocery store this morning. Scored toilet paper + paper towels yay!

90 percent of the people were wearing masks and going with the program - yet this one family - redneck family not to mince words- mom, pop and teenage daughter, were not only without any protection or cover, they were walking in the opposite direction of the one way aisles.

I was fuming at their callus disregard for others; so close to just confronting them straight on - but there were so many elderly folks around, and the guy looked like the type who would throw down if challenged in any way. My better angels guided me to stand down.

Still, it's the kind of thing that both makes you angry and depresses your soul at how fucked up we are as a civilization.

It feels like we really are so doomed because of the assholes. The Titanic full speed ahead towards the iceburg.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

(04-15-2020, 01:36 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: At work they've limited the number of customers in the store from 100 to 69. We still keep getting the non-essential idiots, buying shit they don't need. I lost my cool with one guy after he mistakenly accused me of double scanning one of his cans of paint. I am soooo not in the fucking mood for this shit right now.

69, hmmmm?
Man, I wish our supermarkets would set up one-way aisles. Very stressy trying to keep the 2m distance in supermarkets when there's shoppers coming back the other way.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
(04-15-2020, 10:33 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:36 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: At work they've limited the number of customers in the store from 100 to 69. We still keep getting the non-essential idiots, buying shit they don't need. I lost my cool with one guy after he mistakenly accused me of double scanning one of his cans of paint. I am soooo not in the fucking mood for this shit right now.

69, hmmmm?

Yeah I thought that was an interesting number. Doesn't matter now because we're back to 100. Ugh.
I live just outside the L.A. area, San Gabriel Valley area. So I live with my wife and 2 kids (ages 8 & 6) who we've been homeschooling since their school shut down in mid-March. Thankfully my wife and I are both educators so we've able to work from home and are still getting paid. But as anyone with small kids will tell you, it hasn't been easy, having them a fixed schedule is the best way to keep things sane.

I haven't gone out much. We live in a quiet neighborhood so going outside for a walk or a run isn't a problem because I usually don't run into anyone else. I stocked up on food and supplies early on, but I have gone to the grocery a few times and thanks to our competent leadership here in Ca. mainly Gov. Gavin Newsome, stores are following a very strict policy. You can't go in without a mask and gloves. And there are markers in the store when you check out telling you where to stand. People seem to following these rules, so that certainly gives me hope.

Stay strong everyone, we'll get through this.
(04-16-2020, 07:34 PM)Jones Wrote: Man, I wish our supermarkets would set up one-way aisles.  Very stressy trying to keep the 2m distance in supermarkets when there's shoppers coming back the other way.

Yeah mate, I was thinking the same thing ... NZ supermarkets have done a ton of good things to adjust but they haven't caught onto this one yet.

(04-19-2020, 12:03 AM)history buff Wrote: ... our competent leadership here in Ca. mainly Gov. Gavin Newsome ...

Funny, from listening to Adam Carolla over the years I've been lead to believe Gavin Newsome is no good at all!
Oh, Adam Carolla!
(04-16-2020, 07:34 PM)Jones Wrote: Man, I wish our supermarkets would set up one-way aisles.  Very stressy trying to keep the 2m distance in supermarkets when there's shoppers coming back the other way.

Shopping carts are roughly a meter long, correct? You could always turn 90 degrees towards each other and touch tips as you pass. As it were.

Add a formal bow and you've got a covid update of an 18th century court dance stew going. May even get a Zoom date out of it.

Tune in next week for JHP's top Rona tips.
(04-19-2020, 02:34 AM)Bucho Wrote: Funny, from listening to Adam Carolla over the years I've been lead to believe Gavin Newsome is no good at all!
If there's one thing this crisis has been useful for, it's illustrating the difference between "not very good and kind of a feeb" and "actively malevolent duncelord." I.e. Ron deSantis.
Gavin Newsom defeated my mayor (whose name I can't remember) in the race for governor. But I forgive him!
(04-19-2020, 02:34 AM)Bucho Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 12:03 AM)history buff Wrote: ... our competent leadership here in Ca. mainly Gov. Gavin Newsome ...

Funny, from listening to Adam Carolla over the years I've been lead to believe Gavin Newsome is no good at all!

That should've been your first hint that Newsom was pretty good!

Even when Carolla's funny, he's usually completely wrong. That was his whole thing back on Loveline!
Gamertag: Tweakee
I'm only an occasional listener, but I think Carolla's more critical of the LA mayors Garcetti and Villaraigosa (Villar) on his podcast. Since the statewide shelter in place order he really hasn't talked smack about Newsom (I don't think). He definitely has more right leaning tendencies though, sometimes to the detriment of the show (I really miss David Alan Grier doing Teddy Pendergrass).
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
About a decade ago, I was listening to one of Kevin Smith's ten billion podcasts, and Carolla was a guest host in front of a live audience.  I can't remember the context, but Carolla dropped some serious homophobia in the middle of the show.  The audience, to their credit, was having none of it.  Carolla's a dirtbag.
Carolla brought in a gay guy to direct his boxing movie, how can he possibly be homophobic?!?

Wait ... Charles Herman-Wurmfeld hasn't directed a film since? The dastardly Aceman killed his career!

(04-19-2020, 02:55 AM)jhp1608 Wrote: ... Shopping carts are roughly a meter long, correct? You could always turn 90 degrees towards each other and touch tips as you pass ...

No joke, I've been using the cart to casually create that space whenever it seems like someone who's overly casual about distancing is about to enter The Zone.

In fact next time I head down to Pak N Save I'm going to grab two and strap them together for extra protection.
(04-19-2020, 02:55 AM)jhp1608 Wrote: Shopping carts are roughly a meter long, correct? You could always turn 90 degrees towards each other and touch tips as you pass. As it were.

Heh, turn a cart 90 degrees here and you basically block the aisle.  I tend to hold my breath and stare intently at the shelves as I pass.
Once Carolla hooked up with Prager U, I think it became pretty much impossible to defend him.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Corolla, Dr. Drew . . . I hope Riki Rachtman keeps his head down and stays out of this.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
I think there's some bad history w/ Kevin Smith in there as well, stemming from a TV deal that he supposedly got shafted on many years ago. I recall KS returned on Carolla's show to try to clear the air but they didn't exactly leave as friends at the end.

I actually genuinely enjoyed THE HAMMER when I first saw it, which made me start seeking out his show way back when. Recently I find myself getting pretty annoyed w/ his co-host/newsgirl Gina Grad so I just check out the Carolla Classics episodes for the past highlights.

I'm dying to check out his KROQ documentary when it's completed. As a longtime listener of Kevin & Bean, their emotional farewell episode where Carolla and Kimmel both sat in for Bean's last day is saved for posterity, and after the new management unceremoniously fired Kevin and the rest of the morning team last month, there's potential there for some really juicy shit.
The most important thing in life is broads. Broads!
Anyway, facemasks are now required in my county, with 'grace period' deadline set for Wednesday. For the record, usage looks to be about 25% right now. The downtown Walgreens is turning away unmasked customers so good for them. Meanwhile, the mini-Target across the street is taking things a little too casual, with only about half the staff complying, to say nothing of the customers...

I'm at that point where I'm quietly panicking at every headache or stomachache.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
Going to the grocery is pretty aggravating.  No one is paying attention to the one way aisles at all.  I have not as of yet gone so far as to wipe down my grocery packages with clorox wipes.  I don't have that many left and can't buy more!

At least they are requiring masks now.  Got gas today and filled it all the way up, did my best not to really touch much.  

It was nice being out and in the sun today.  Finally warming up here.
(04-19-2020, 06:58 PM)Jones Wrote:
(04-19-2020, 02:55 AM)jhp1608 Wrote: Shopping carts are roughly a meter long, correct? You could always turn 90 degrees towards each other and touch tips as you pass. As it were.

Heh, turn a cart 90 degrees here and you basically block the aisle.  I tend to hold my breath and stare intently at the shelves as I pass.

Just like our roads are as wide as a single American lane, our supermarket aisles are more cosy than American aisles.

Can't complain too much though mate, there are very few nations who've mounted better defenses against the covid than we have (so far). We are a couple of lucky, lucky bastards to live where we live right now.
Pretty lucky even before the corona hit IMHO. Jacinda Ardern should be prime minister of the planet.
True dat.

(04-20-2020, 01:15 AM)Rylander Wrote: Going to the grocery is pretty aggravating.  No one is paying attention to the one way aisles at all.  I have not as of yet gone so far as to wipe down my grocery packages with clorox wipes.  I don't have that many left and can't buy more!

What we do is use a soapy water mix and wipe down packages, cans, bags, etc as they come out of the car.
Looks like Georgia is starting to open up this weekend, with gyms, hair salons, cosmetologists, bowling alleys and the like on Friday and restaurants and movie theaters on Monday. Governor Kemp also said he would be allowing the shelter in place order to expire on the 30th.

So there you go. Georgia is going to be the one they write about in the history books again.

Georgia has the 12th-most cases of any state, and per capita, they are double California's rate in both cases and deaths.

Not exactly screaming, "Under control", is it?
"We're not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean. "

"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves. "

"Yeah. Major drag, huh? "

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

In that case I would advise judicious use of the tactical coughing fit.

(04-20-2020, 02:50 AM)Bucho Wrote:

Just like our roads are as wide as a single American lane, our supermarket aisles are more cosy than American aisles.

Can't complain too much though mate, there are very few nations who've mounted better defenses against the covid than we have (so far). We are a couple of lucky, lucky bastards to live where we live right now.

Wait until it bridges to sheep.

In all seriousness though, I imagine it must help having relatively low population density.
The low population density helps for sure. As does having a leader who believes science is actually useful.
Hey! Our leader believes science... is a word.

Even if he can't spell it... and always puts in air quotes... and follows it with, "shmience"...
Apparently at least four sets of parents in my neighborhood don't give a shit about safe distancing, as there are that many sets of kids playing together, almost every day.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear