Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Community and The COVID-19 Pandemic
Yeah, there's about a 3-week lag between infection and getting a positive test, which means that by the time we see a spike in cases from these spoiled children running around like they've survived WWIII, it's going to be too late.
Gamertag: Tweakee
I've decided to unfollow a weightlifting FB group due to the amount of obnoxious morons whining about the gyms being closed, how jealous they are about the states reopening soon and how the closed gyms impinge on their rights as Americans. Several of them (guess who they voted for) are from states that reopened and constantly post pics flaunting being inside the gym. 

Look, I understand the frustration as I'd like to go back to exercising with machines as well, but we're in the middle of a pandemic. It's alarming how many of these so-called fitness buffs have this fearless attitude like they can just rush back to normal when we've hit over 100,000 deaths. Is it so hard to just work out at home with either dumbbells, bands, jump rope, bodyweight exercises and go for a hike/run outside?
Wouldn't a committed weightlifter have equipment at home?

I have a Bowflex, so I've managed to keep my workout regimen the same as pre-pandemic: a weekly session of wiping the dust off it and mumbling, "Next week, for sure..."
(05-28-2020, 03:18 AM)farsight Wrote: Wouldn't a committed weightlifter have equipment at home?

Yeah, you would think! I have a Bowflex set of dumbbells, and while it's not the same as mixing in machines, they've been fine to work with the past three months.

Probably should have posted that in the main CV thread, but some of the whiny folks posting in that FB group I mentioned are also from California. Those idiots should be more thankful that we closed earlier to avoid more cases & deaths.

Then we had another Darwin award-winner hailing from New York talking about how he can't wait to return to the gym!
(05-28-2020, 01:16 AM)hammerhead Wrote: That's awful.

Did it hurt when you pulled their teeth out of your knuckles?

Oh believe me, the desire was definitely there.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
Getting the sense that people are just done with covid here in Maryland, and we've just collectively shrugged and decided 'whatever happens happens'. Hogan has still been a net-positive (his mail-in ballot EO deserves a lot of credit) but lately, he's been floundering a bit, declaring MD is "ready for phase 2 of re-opening", but kicking a lot of the actual decision-making to down to local officials.

Masks are technically required in grocery stores, but its not being enforced. Folks are crowding public spaces and trails, maskless. My wife's work continues to talk about returning to the office sooner rather than later, 6 people to a cubicle, but with no actual plan on how to do it safely. How will they enforce social distancing? Will they be providing masks and hand sanitizer? Is the a procedure if someone in the office tests positive? Nobody knows, but "we have to go back at some point".

Generally feeling pretty frustrated with everything.
Well with no new movies available our local theatres have reverted to showing older films, which is actually pretty cool. They are tempting us back to the movies this weekend with such films as Predator (1987) and the Nolan Batman trilogy, among others.
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Where do you live?

Personally, as I am in Los Angeles, I am still self isolating as much as I can.  And I am able to work from home.  I still try to only leave home once a day for errands (beer).  And sometimes more on the weekends, but I am not going to any restaurants.  Just bank, grocery, pharmacy, convenience store, gas/car repair.  

I hiked a couple times with a woman I met online but now that cases are spiking I doubt I will continue that.

The testing site at Dodger Stadium/Barlow Repiratory Hospital next door has been overrun with people wanting to get tested.  It's by appt only now and you have to wait 1-2 days.  Today they also de-prioritzed anyone without symptoms or other reasons to be tested.

It's frustrating when I see people being lazy asses about their masks (not covering nose) or if they don't have one.  And young people who can't stop talking/socializing with each other.
(07-08-2020, 11:54 PM)Rylander Wrote: Where do you live?

NZ
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
(07-08-2020, 11:40 PM)Jones Wrote: Well with no new movies available our local theatres have reverted to showing older films, which is actually pretty cool.  They are tempting us back to the movies this weekend with such films as Predator (1987) and the Nolan Batman trilogy, among others.

I wish this happened here in Singapore. Would love to see Blade Runner or Dune in IMAX.
Any other GA folks?

I woke to hear about the fucking governor's overruling mandatory mask ordinances.. and it's terrifying.

I'm in and around Athens. You would think this place would be like Austin. A small foothold of sanity. Unfortunately, at the grocery store it's getting closer to 50/50 on people taking precautions.

The earliest morning, when stores just open, is the only time I see complete rationality.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

I'm in East Point (just southwest of Atlanta by about 5 miles), and folks here are about 50/50 as well. To me, the mask issue should be treated exactly like indoor smoking. It is a constant and direct threat to the health of those around you, and a mask is currently the only measure of prevention (aside from social distancing, which should also be mandatory) available to us. Not mandating it is insanity.

And Kemp's little statewide tour to encourage mask use was a complete failure, as expected. If masks are encouraged, there are going to be people who refuse to wear them. And who do you think will be responsible for spread? PEOPLE NOT WEARING MASKS.

That's a really good analogy.

(07-16-2020, 10:24 AM)Fat Elvis Wrote: The earliest morning, when stores just open, is the only time I see complete rationality.

I've discovered this as well. I now only run errands right when the stores open. Not only has everything probably just been wiped down, but the only people there are me and the elderly, all wearing masks.

Any later in the day, and it's an assortment of bog people and their spawn, happily meandering around the store, spewing emissions everywhere.

I have actually -never- seen a family wearing masks. College kids are hit and miss. Loners are a maybe. But people who bring their kids out to shop during a pandemic are guaranteed to be dangerously stupid assholes.
Things are nuts when my corner of PA seems to be complying after losing it's God damned mind in 2016. I very very rarely see unmasked people in stores, nor have there been any reports of confrontations over compliance.
Just got back from grocery store. 24 hrs. after our Gov. did his thing, i would say 30 percent were wearing a mask. The cashier wasn't wearing gloves, so I did self-checkout which is a bitch with a loaded buggy. This is the most depressing time to be alive.

Yikes, if you've lost early morning shopping, you're in the deep doo-doo.

As for gloves... unless they're sterilizing or changing them between every customer, they're not really better than bare hands. The virus can transfer to/from gloves just as easily. They're probably more likely to be sanitizing bare hands regularly.

I treat myself and everything I've touched as tainted once I get home. After I put things away, I wipe down every doorknob, switch, and handle. Then I wash my hands; usually I just shower instead to be extra safe.

If we don't start the process of voting every single Republican out this November, then my resilient optimism will finally die.
My store doesn't care about the employees' safety. We have a sign outside saying masks are required but the manager won't enforce it. 2 guys came in without masks and I wouldn't help them and she (the manager) gave me shit for it. I told her I had a heart condition but that didn't phase her. She then lied and said no one's gotten sick in our county even though our county has had the highest infection rate. Apparently now my job is to offer free masks to customers who don't have one. I hate this place.
Heh, I would do two things:

Give her daily county case totals from the NYT website as part of friendly small talk.

Also, mention that stores are enforcing masks in large part to avoid civil suits for negligence. Hint hint. Nudge nudge. Wink wink.
If she keeps giving me grief I'm thinking of contacting either corporate or OSHA, whoever will listen.

First customer of the day was a maskless Covidiot rushing at me. I noped out of that situation. You refuse to wear a mask even when I offer one? Then fuck off.
Q: this might've been covered in the other thread, if so forgive, but I'm wondering what kind of mask you guys use? I've been going with the disposable surgical face masks all along, but i'm hearing cloth might be more effective(?). Hard to know with all the disinformation flying around.

If you use a cloth mask, where did u get it?

My Safeway was selling cloth masks at checkout. I like being able to wash and reuse them.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
I bought about a dozen cloth masks (3 layer) from DXL, a big and tall store of all things.  They were relatively cheap ($7 each), and I've had good luck hand washing and laying them flat to dry.  it took a couple of weeks to get them, but I think their shipping is a little quicker now.

I got some from two other sites, but I wasn't happy with them (one or two layers, and really thin material).

ETA: Here's a link (sorry to shill).
(07-22-2020, 05:55 PM)Fat Elvis Wrote: Q: this might've been covered in the other thread, if so forgive, but I'm wondering what kind of mask you guys use? I've been going with the disposable surgical face masks all along, but i'm hearing cloth might be more effective(?). Hard to know with all the disinformation flying around.

If you use a cloth mask, where did u get it?

I have a cloth mask.  My employer bought a ton of them and I picked up a couple when I had to go into the office for something a few weeks ago.  

Some retails stores also sell cloth masks, especially a lot of specialty clothing stores.  You're going to be hit or miss on fit when it comes to cloth masks, though...I've tried some that barely fit over my ears/give me Will Smith ears, for example.  Luckily, the ones that my employer bought/had made fit perfectly.
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered 4 masks thru Amazon, and I'll look in my grocery store next time.

Thanks for the link, Sean. I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the Amazon masks.

I think the disposable masks are generally more effective, since they have the bendable metal band at the top to fit them snug against your nose, which the cloth ones I've seen/used do not. If you wear glasses, that also means they won't fog them up when fitted well.

But I'm mostly using the cloth ones now, as my disposable supply is nearly gone, and it is just easier to wash and re-use.

Either are a million times better than nothing, so as long as you can't feel air rushing in from outside the mask when you breathe, you're doing well.
Thankfully, my DXL masks have that metal strip. It makes all the difference.

Using cloth masks with insertable/washable filters. I have a very small stash of surgical masks just in case (I keep a couple in the car).
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Visited with an old friend from high school and his family (parents and sister) last Sunday. He texted me last night that his mom has tested positive. I guess she had a minor cough that I didn't notice and got worse a couple days after. I had a runny nose all day Wednesday but other than that I have no symptoms or ailments. I usually wear a mask but forgot it like a moron and none of them wore any either. I didn't have any close physical contact with the mom but shook the Dad's hand, had close conversation with him and now he is developing a cough. We were all over their house and ate the food they gave us. I plan to take tomorrow off work and get tested but am not sure what my level of panic should be.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Assume you're only mildly symptomatic. Make sure you know where to go for or call to schedule a test tomorrow before tonight is over. Wear a mask and gloves and clean your common surfaces. Replace gloves. Try to check your temp and change your sheets every day. Replace your toothbrush before too long. Drink a lot of water in the meantime. Again, assume your mildly symptomatic, just take precautions to keep your personal R0 = 0.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
After a number of weeks of slacking off and reduced mask use, out municipality recently passed a bylaw enforcing mandatory mask use in all public places and businesses, starting August 1. I went to the hardware store this morning and EVERYONE was wearing a mask. I didn't see any 'Karens' in my travels today, but of course I don't shop at Wal-Mart.
Since I have nowhere else to vent right now, let me say a big FUCK YOU to the asshole at work today who refused to wear a mask and tried following around the store when I refused to check him out. I'm so tired of this shit.
I finally got my thick cloth masks from Amazon. The set comes with a neck sleeve for each mask, and I just feel a whole lot safer. I also feel like I'm in a Batman sequel.

Blood work came back negative and am waiting for the results of the nasal swab. Still have no symptoms but am staying inside anyway. Had a brief scare waiting in our vehicle while quickly filling out paperwork after getting the swab rammed up my nose. Overheard the nurse say to someone in the building "We have our first positive" but he must have meant the person one or two people in front of us since our finger prick was negative. It was a real oh shit moment.
"You want a vision of the future?Imagine a boot stomping on a human face.....forever."
Fingers crossed here.