Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion
Yeah, being pitted against Arjen was like having my own personal Looper plot in terms of taste.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
As an outside observer, I love the out in the open voting.

I can't believe how many people vote for themselves.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

You always vote for yourself, though, in every election. Because as my old man said, "what if you vote for someone else, and then you lose by one vote?"
home taping is killing music
Let's try and wrap up voting today. If you want to vote and haven't done so yet, today's your day.
I guess it's good we did this when we did this, because after what's going on right now, I'd in no fucking way be in the spirit of this.

If you're feeling adventurous, or want a better understanding, check out Charles Burnett's masterpiece THE GLASS SHIELD.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Added a bit more to the wine dark sea summary in the lists thread.
Looking back, I'm kind of surprised no one picked Stansfield from The Professional as the villain/crooked cop. Despite the inherent ickiness of the film, it still has one of Oldman's best performances.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
We currently have a tie in the Hunter/Arjen bracket. Somebody who has not voted yet, please make a selection and break the tie.

In the meantime, HP Pufncraft, Boone, and Atomtastic advance to round 3.
What a weird round this was.
Hunter is the winner in the tie breaker. I'll get rolling on the Round 3 brackets shortly.
I thought this was a timely re-post in the Joe Bob Briggs Facebook group:

[Image: 101589279_10100176146599265_615284531932...e=5EFC0DA6]
So, we'd talked about doing a second version of this draft, which I volunteered to run, but would I be correct in guessing that people might not feel like doing that now?
I'm still up for it but I understand if others aren't.
Let the majority take prescience, but judging by the way we all went about our business, none of us were thinking in the parameters of real life.

If someone doesn’t want to do this, that’s understandable, but I think this is a great escape and distraction for those of us who are sensitive to the news cycle..

Getting in the headspace of movies is very comfortable at the moment. If I’m gonna have a reason to hang out on the Internet right now, this is a place to be.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Civil War Casting Draft anybody?
I laughed.
Could also do a knockout:

+ Chamberlain
- Booth
Hey now.
Grant +
Lee KO

We Would’ve Been Better Off Without Him:

32. Gen. Robert E. Lee
Sherman +
Jackson KO

Tear Down This Wall:
64. Jackson
+ Tubman
KO Stephens

Shattered cornerstone:

51. Stephens
(06-02-2020, 09:34 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Civil War Casting Draft anybody?

Tilda Swinton as Abraham Lincoln.
Boone, you should've cast Orson Welles in your draft. Not one of his characters. Actual Orson Welles.

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/stat...3594566656
I actually had Orson on my list of possible characters! I ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to go too much into the world of film as that was clearly Atom's approach. I also didn't want to go too heavy on the historical characters as it seemed like there was some grey area between casting fictional versions of those characters and "real" versions of those characters a la Welles.

(I will say that the "Welles was the Black Dahlia Murderer" is one of my favorite wild Hollywood conspiracy theories.)

Here's the rest of the list of characters who were on my short list:

JFK
JJ Gittes
Joe Friday (original flavour)
Moe Green
Orson Welles
Rick Blaine
Walt Disney
Hyman Roth
Carl Kolchak
John Travolta (as L. Ron Hubbard)
Laurence Woolsey
Boone and Atomtastic make it to the finals. The championship thread is up! Cast your votes now!
I want to say again how great Hunter's draft was. That was my pick to win the whole thing.
Honestly, I think that any one of the drafts could have won the whole thing. Everyone managed to have at least one unique, really cool element in their draft to make it stand out in a fun way.
Finally got a chance to read Boone's story synopsis uninterrupted and it's WONDERFUL. Please tell me you plan on finishing it because I'm really curious to see where the story goes.
(06-04-2020, 07:18 PM)hp pufncraft Wrote: Finally got a chance to read Boone's story synopsis uninterrupted and it's WONDERFUL. Please tell me you plan on finishing it because I'm really curious to see where the story goes.

Thanks. I've been trying to complete it, but I also want to make sure all the parts work together. So it's a bit more challenging than expected, heh.
Congratulations to Boone for taking the prize!
Awesome. Really happy I won, and I faced some tough competition. In the three years or so I've been doing these, I think I only made it to the semi-finals once, and most times I've never made it past round one. And I was really happy with this one, so I'm glad everybody else seemed to like it, too.

Although I guess I did finally find the secret to winning, and that secret is "cast peak Jennifer Connelly."
A belated congratulations to Boone for a very entertaining and well thought out story with a great cast of characters. He actually inspired me to go a more serious route for the now defunct Buddy Cop Draft: Actor edition. I totally understand the reasons why we're not doing it, but I'm nevertheless bummed out, as I'd already come up with character bios and an alternate history for the film. Rather than let it go to waste, I thought I'd post my story here along with the actors I was hoping to draft. The racism/police corruption angle actually came to me before the recent tragic events and I was heavily inspired by other works including Roger Corman's The Intruder, Murder by Decree and Season 2 of Hap & Leonard. Anyway, I hope you guys like it.

With Extreme Prejudice (1960)

A detective from the big city must team up with a small town cop to stop a Serial Killer (Dubbed "The Gargoyle" by the local press) who is targeting young Black women. They soon find themselves in a web of lies, political intrigue and unspeakable Evil.

Sidney Poitier as Mike Church (Cop 1)

[Image: gettyimages-625141316-2000.jpg]

As a boy, he vowed never to return to the town that murdered his father. Seventeen years later, when a childhood friend asks for his help in solving a series of grisly killings, Detective Mike Church decides that it's time to go home again.

Tony Curtis as Harlan "Harl" Woods (Cop 2)

[Image: fcd5e621b99ce332adb53dd7b506c751.jpg]

The one good cop in a backwater town, Harl Woods is haunted by the sins of his forefathers. When the killings begin, he seeks help from an estranged friend so that he might atone for his family's dark past.

William Shatner as Porter Hall (The Villain)

[Image: the-intruder-1962]

Porter Hall is an ambitious campaign manager who's working towards the Governor's re-election and has aspirations to hold political office himself someday. When a potential scandal involving the Governor and a Black Female employee threatens to cost them rural votes, Hall does the unthinkable and creates a monster to "clean up the mess."

Orson Welles as Governor Leland Heston (The Politician)

[Image: Screen%2BShot%2B2014-11-19%2Bat%2B12.49.04%2BAM.jpg]

Governor Heston runs on a platform of "upholding traditional Southern values" and openly caters to Racist voters. He's also having an affair with a young Black woman who works at his plantation estate. When she becomes pregnant with his child and wants to go public with the relationship, the cowardly politician makes a deal with the Devil to make the problem go away. As in Citizen Kane, Welles wears old-age makeup to appear much older.

Nichelle Nichols as Verna Greene (Potential Love Interest of Cop 2)

[Image: NN02b.jpg]

A beautiful, strong-willed schoolteacher, Verna Greene witnesses the murder of her best friend by a man wearing a gargoyle mask. She then becomes a target of the killer. Harl sets out to protect her and can't help falling for her.

Jack Elam as Lyle Boggs/The Gargoyle (Henchman)

[Image: DsJcnypX4Asa323.jpg:large]

A seemingly slow-witted but harmless farmhand at Heaton's plantation, Lyle Boggs has a dark secret and a terrifying pathology. The illegitimate son of The Governor, he's used as a tool by Porter Hall to eliminate "the problem." He's then sent on a mission to randomly kill other Black women to draw attention away from Heaton. Every night that Boggs goes out to kill, he dons a gargoyle mask. Just as gargoyles were used by churches to ward off Evil, he too believes that he's protecting his father from Evil. To put it simply, Boggs is a monster.

James Coburn as Jeremiah Cross (Secondary Villain/Red Herring #1)

[Image: JAMES_COBURN_TEX_PANTHOLLOW_2.jpg]

As the silver-tongued leader of the local KKK chapter, Jeremiah Cross holds incredible sway over the town. He finds Mike Church's arrival to be most displeasing.

George Kennedy as "Red" Hastings (Henchman of Secondary Villain/Red Herring #2)

[Image: 71QO1hHHWOL._AC_SX425_.jpg]

The aptly nicknamed "Red" serves as Cross's second-in-command and is a dangerous combination of mean and stupid. A rooftop fight between him and Mike Church was paid homage to just a few years later in another George Kennedy film, Charade (1963).

Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Bud Allen (Boss of the Cops/The 'Good Guy' Who is Revealed to Be a Villain)

[Image: JackieGleason.jpg]

This lazy, corrupt lawman would rather just pin the Gargoyle murders on a (preferably Black) transient than do any actual police work. He is constantly railroading Mike and Harl's efforts to solve the crimes and antagonizes Harl constantly by calling him Harley. Seventeen years later, Gleason would play a parody of the character when he took on the role of Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

Lon Chaney Jr. as Jack Woods (Cop 2's Crazy Racist Relative)

[Image: MV5BMTkxMjA0ZmUtOTU0ZS00ZDM4LWExM2UtNjdk...00_AL_.jpg]

Lon Chaney Jr. only appears in one scene as Harl's racist, drunk uncle Jack, who may or may not have played a part in the murder of Mike's father. However, he delivers such a memorable performance with his chilling monologue about "the natural order of things" that it earns him his first and only Academy Award nomination and win for Best Supporting Actor the following year. Poitier and Curtis are also nominated that year for Best Actor.

Jayne Mansfield as Tiffany Fresno (The Victim Who Doesn't Match the Profile)

[Image: image-asset.jpeg]

As the beautiful and voluptuous burlesque dancer Tiffany Fresno, the equally beautiful and voluptuous Jayne Mansfield stars in one of the film's most terrifying scenes where she is stalked by the killer (whose bloodlust is now uncontrollable). Years later, it would be included as one of Bravo's 101 Scariest Movie Moments. The scene was also considered controversial at the time due to Mansfield appearing topless for several seconds, which was excised from the American version but still present in the far superior European Cut.

Directed by Jacques Tourneur

[Image: dbeeaa50eecc64eefdd838fcb11bff92.jpg]

With Extreme Prejudice is considered a return to form by Tourneur and is compared favorably to his earlier Val Lewton collaborations like Cat People (1942) and I Walked with a Zombie (1943) as well as his 1957 film Night of the Demon. Critics have also drawn comparisons between Mansfield's death in the film and a similar scene in Tourneur's The Leopard Man (1943). The film has been cited as an influence for directors Mario Bava and Dario Argento. Additionally, the gargoyle mask worn by the killer may have inspired a similar mask that appears in Lamberto Bava's 1986 horror film Demons.
The Wine-Dark Sea is how we will preserve society.

Congrats, Boone. An honor to get in the semifinals with you.
Congratulations, Boone!

That's impressive stuff, HP. I can particularly imagine Shatner and Welles really tearing into their roles.
Thanks Pither! Even with the serious subject matter, it was still a fun write-up, especially when I realized I was basically making a proto-slasher.