Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUDDY COP Draft (Character Version) - Sign Up and Discussion
Jack Caine off the board. Now we're talking.
What a fun pic with Jack Caine. Love it.
Castillo is pretty much  my favorite police boss from film or TV. The way Olmos low-keyed it was brilliant. Almost all Castillo-centric episodes are winners.
(05-19-2020, 11:46 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: Castillo is pretty much  my favorite police boss from film or TV. The way Olmos low-keyed it was brilliant. Almost all Castillo-centric episodes are winners.

It's the quiet competence that I dig from the character.

Hey Hunter, shouldn't that be Holly Genarro?
I revisited I Come in Peace recently and it still holds up. Such a fun, underrated movie. When the draft was first announced, I figured Jack would be a good choice for my list.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
It's a tremendous mix of cop action, sci-fi, buddy banter and Craig R. Baxley's insane explosions.
It's no ALIEN NATION.

"Got concrete rhymes, been rappin' for ten years and

Even when I'm braggin', I'm bein' sincere"

"Teenage angst has paid off well/ Now I'm bored and old"

"Drunk as hell, but no throwin' up

Half way home and my pager still blowin' up"

"I'm tired of living all alone
yeah, nobody ever calls me on the phone
But when things start getting bad
I just play my music louder"

Sure isn't. It's exciting.
god Caan > Dolph

Shit, the greater than symbol. I done been stymied.
I pinged Turing. Hopefully everything is ok and he can play catch-up.
(05-19-2020, 12:35 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: Shit, the greater than symbol. I done been stymied.

I was just trying to be playful. Sorry to punch down at your sacred cow.

(05-19-2020, 12:17 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: It's a tremendous mix of cop action, sci-fi, buddy banter and Craig R. Baxley's insane explosions.

It does seem to have the record number of exploding cars of any movie.  I mean, I can't think of anything that comes close.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
I’m getting such an unusual vibe from this draft. I think it’s because it’s so wide open. Lots of picks are options I never would have thought of, and I’m not feeling the usual fear that my picks will be taken before my turn. I wonder if it will start to tighten up?
The Heist draft had a similar "wide open" vibe to it, if I recall.
home taping is killing music
I'm pretty sure nobody else is playing in my sandbox.
Just this guy, you know?
(05-19-2020, 01:00 PM)Hot Sandwich Wrote: I’m getting such an unusual vibe from this draft. I think it’s because it’s so wide open. Lots of picks are options I never would have thought of, and I’m not feeling the usual fear that my picks will be taken before my turn. I wonder if it will start to tighten up?

There's some overlap and people will get some of their picks poached, but this isn't as competitive in terms of picks as a standard draft.  This is more about having a concept and carrying it out.
"Why the fuck... why would you bring up that?"
-James Caan when asked about Alien Nation in his 2013 Random Roles interview.

The first 20 minutes of Alien Nation are pretty great. There's some cool 80's atmosphere. It's like the sci-fi version of Stakeout, somehow struck a chord with people, basically sucks outside of the lead actors being well paired and rolling with the material.

Also, it's shorter than I Come in Peace and has less subplots, but my god it feels longer. I would argue that I'd like Alien Nation a lot more if Caan spent 1/4 of the movie going all end of Thief on a bunch of preppy neo-Nazis.

Nation was supposed to be Fox's big action movie in the summer of 1988 under the title Outer Heat. Once they realized that their other one with the guy from Moonlighting was clearly better, that came out in the summer (and was probably envisioned as a November/December release), and Nation would have to settle as a video hit.

Sorry Elvis, I love a good Caan performance, but having rewatched it a few months ago, I gotta give a point to Molt... and Nation is a Pacific Western joint!

Gotta echo Richard. My choices look typical, but I think my sandbox is not only properly social distanced, it's passcode-protected for now.

The choices today have been... spectacular. I love that we're on Day 2 and we've got Disney characters, evil Bronson, and I Come in Peace.

But I nearly lost my shit when I saw Boris post VILLLLLDERNESS GURRRRRRLLLLLS!!!! Thank god I'm not the lone fan of that one in this.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
Caan in ALIEN NATION is acting like he's hating every second of filming. I know that that irritation is a part of his character but it honestly feels like that irritation is not an act. It's like he's there, on set, completely under duress. Did he lose a bet or something?

The story itself is pretty rote but it's well acted. The concept itself is much better suited for a long form television show (which it eventually received) than a movie.
The leads in ALEIN NATION are pretty good together but it never goes anywhere all that interesting. It's essentially the GREEN BOOK of sci-fi buddy action films.
I've never seen Alien Nation! Good pun title though.
(05-19-2020, 01:22 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Caan in ALIEN NATION is acting like he's hating every second of filming.  I know that that irritation is a part of his character but it honestly feels like that irritation is not an act.  It's like he's there, on set, completely under duress.  Did he lose a bet or something?

The story itself is pretty rote but it's well acted.  The concept itself is much better suited for a long form television show (which it eventually received) than a movie.

Fox was trying to remake it with Jeff Nichols (!) before a mouse ate them. They'd be fools not to. For years, I've said this is probably the 80's genre movie ripest for a remake that could blow the original out the water. That, or do it as a show on FX or Hulu (not FX on Hulu because that name is humiliating) that's like a dystopian Wire.

Agreed about Caan's performance. It was one of his first gigs after he sat out most of the 80's and his character's frustration seems allegorical. He plays the shit out of it, what with his ridiculous football loungewear, but it's a greed gig. He probably had some Michael Caine-like excuse where the right amount of money would let him add a cigar lounge to his house or something.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
I haven't seen it either and I feel like I'm missing out.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
(05-19-2020, 01:28 PM)Alt-molt Wrote: The leads in ALEIN NATION are pretty good together but it never goes anywhere all that interesting. It's essentially the GREEN BOOK of sci-fi buddy action films.

Hey now... at least it didn't screw Spike Lee over at the Oscars.
(05-19-2020, 01:03 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I'm pretty sure nobody else is playing in my sandbox.

I was in your sandbox for about 10 minutes into Day One.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
But aren't Douglas in Black Rain and Basic Instinct the same character?
(05-19-2020, 01:31 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: I haven't seen it either and I feel like I'm missing out.

Dolph Lundgren rocking his Swedish Stallone Punisher look as a cop... in Houston. Alien-human drug war. Two Michael Bay explosions before the opening credits are over, and then even more of those after that. Also, it has PREPPY REPUBLICANS GETTING MURDERED! And there's hijinks where Dolph Lundgren's clothes look really big on the female lead! Heard of the Caine Mutiny? Meet the CAINE MANUAL!

You should watch I Come in Peace this week.

Amazing how Day 1 had zero Black Rain picks, and then Judas goes for the Conklin/Curran kill.
(05-19-2020, 01:35 PM)atomtastic Wrote: But aren't Douglas in Black Rain and Basic Instinct the same character?

I've always said that BI is a sequel to BR.

in this instance, I'm seeing them as twin brothers.
(05-19-2020, 01:36 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:31 PM)boristhecheese Wrote: I haven't seen it either and I feel like I'm missing out.

Dolph Lundgren rocking his Swedish Stallone Punisher look as a cop... in Houston. Alien-human drug war. Two Michael Bay explosions before the opening credits are over, and then even more of those after that. Also, it has PREPPY REPUBLICANS GETTING MURDERED! And there's hijinks where Dolph Lundgren's clothes look really big on the female lead! Heard of the Caine Mutiny? Meet the CAINE MANUAL!

Amazing how Day 1 had zero Black Rain picks, and then Judas goes for the Conklin/Curran kill.

Don't forget the gratuitous T&A. That stripper scene was....wow.
[Image: local-media712059160668172575.jpg]
"We're not all masters of our souls, Meacham...I learned that on Earth."
(05-19-2020, 01:36 PM)huntertarantino Wrote:

Sorry, I meant ALIEN NATION.  I saw I Come In Peace when I was a kid.  One of my friends talked it up so much, I had to see it.  I'm not sure if I want to revisit it though.  I re-watched Split Second recently and time has not been very kind to it.  I don't want to repeat that with another of my childhood faves.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Alien Nation is really good. Top shelf Mandy. You really feel it from my man when he's talking about being an alien slave and drug addict.

I'm with Hunter in that it feels begging for a remake for a while now, disagree on the "dystopian Wire" bit.

Anyway, team Alien Nation.
I was just talking about not having concerns that my picks would get taken, then Simbob steals my Gunderson!
Cohaagen! Yes!

I heard from Turing. He should hopefully be making his catch up picks soon for Day One and Day Two.
Some very solid picks today, particularly in the last hour or so.
Yeah, I'm out of rep.