Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STAR WARS: THE BAD BATCH (Disney+ Animated Series)
The characters from a recent arc of The Clone Wars are getting their own series, supervised by Dave Filoni. This is certainly not what I was expecting for the next animated series, but it should be cool to see them operating in the time-period after the war and the early days of the Empire:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-...s-announce
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

you’re not BARRY!!!

give us BARRY!!!
Curious what the art style approach is going to be, since they seem to go a different way for every series. Clone Wars had the Supermarionation-esque character designs, Rebels went a bit more generic, with the addition of going towards a ton of the original McQuarrie designs, and Resistance is cel shaded.
Stop animation or GTFO.
Git' in under mah belly!
I wanna see an Into The Spider-Verse animation show.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_w...#gs.c2rq77
Well that's that I guess.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
They say it's a rumor. That said has that Park thing been proven or dis-proven as fraud? I heard both in the discord.

In any case, Witwer is Darth Maul now. He's claimed ownership of the role.
After a pretty slow - verging on dull - start, this series has started to get really compelling. Much of The Clone Wars tv series always left me a bit cold, but the more focused, fully-serialised approach to this one is really paying off, and the ins and outs of the Kaminoan cloning project and its creepiness is part of the mythos that I never felt the previous serious took advantage of.

While it's the same art-style, the animation is also a massive step up from TCW (which makes sense, given that's almost 15 years old). There are plenty of shots - like the upper atmosphere flying scenes in the most recent episode - which are very striking, in part because no-one making a live action SW has already done them.

I hope that, unlike TCW and Rebels*, they have the balls to kill off a few of the characters as it goes into the end/second half. SW's continuity is in danger of ending up cluttered with Dave Filoni characters he's too attached to to kill, and it would suit the tone of the series if one or two went out heroically and/or tragically.

Also, for all that it was a kind of silly, tossed off idea, TROS's Snoke-tank seems to be something Filoni and co. were quite taken with, and the running subplot across this and The Mandalorian of Alien: Resurrection-style cloning experiments is really cool.

*Kanan died, but I feel that Ahsoka and Ezra probably outlived their best-suited places in the timeline. 'The last of the Jedi will you be'
You know I love you Rex, but you best brace yourself, because I'm about to come flying at you like a rancor with space rabies.

(06-25-2021, 08:53 PM)rexbanner Wrote: ... the ins and outs of the Kaminoan cloning project and its creepiness is part of the mythos that I never felt the previous serious took advantage of.

The previous series took such MUH-HASSIVE advantage of the Kaminoan creepiness. The way Fives' story weaves in with all that malarkey is so insanely effective it can still ruin my day if I think about it too long.

(06-25-2021, 08:53 PM)rexbanner Wrote: While it's the same art-style, the animation is also a massive step up from TCW (which makes sense, given that's almost 15 years old). There are plenty of shots - like the upper atmosphere flying scenes in the most recent episode - which are very striking, in part because no-one making a live action SW has already done them.

It's a MUH-HASSIVE step up from S1 TCW, but that show improved season upon season in that regard.

The Bad Batch is equal in animation and cool space shots quality to TCW S7.

(06-25-2021, 08:53 PM)rexbanner Wrote: I hope that, unlike TCW and Rebels*, they have the balls to kill off a few of the characters as it goes into the end/second half.

Balls my ass bro. Again, Fives went out hard in S6. And that final shot of Jesse's helmet in S7 is one of the most heart-breaking moments in all of Star Wars.

The Clone Wars is SAD. AS. FUUUUCK. Maybe even sadder. Unless you're racist against Clones it ends on a MUH-HASSIVE downer. It's far darker and sadder than any of the feature fillums except Revenge of the Sith.
Lol, those are all fair points. The conspiracy Kamino stuff totally slipped my mind, as did the umpteen clones and supporting characters TCW offed in dramatically effective ways throughout its run.
(06-27-2021, 12:35 PM)rexbanner Wrote: Lol, those are all fair points. The conspiracy Kamino stuff totally slipped my mind, as did the umpteen clones and supporting characters TCW offed in dramatically effective ways throughout its run.

NO YOU MUST FIGHT ME
Pretty decent finale, but not as dramatic as the first part. 

The visuals throughout the season have been gorgeous. While the live-action Disney material has shot some classic Star Wars designs in new ways (Rogue One does this frequently and well), this series was particularly good at playing about with new types of weather and lighting. Stuff like the in-atmosphere star destroyers firing on Kamino through the thunderstorm, for instance - we've seen star destroyers, storms, and buildings getting blown up before, but never all at once. 

The story feels a bit dragged out - something that could've been a really tight 8-parter, padded out to twice as long. The episodes with the broken engine, the rancor, the gangster's son, and the engineer sisters could have been cut out pretty easily, and a lot of the other scripts made a lot leaner. The Mandalorian has really benefited from Favreau or someone being like 'Keep this lean and focused'. 

I also hope that Crosshair rejecting them (or dying of exposure and dehydration on that platform) doesn't just reset that relationship to a status quo in which he reappears every few episodes to glower and shoot at them. Feels like that's reached a natural endpoint.
I'm with you on the look of the show Rex, some really beautiful art and animation while maintaining the charming Thunderbirds/Joe 90 Supermarionation vibe that flummoxes lesser beings than us.

I get where the "The story feels a bit dragged out" sentiment comes from, but for me there's always been more to the stories these shows tell than simply a main arc. I've almost always dug the way that eps which don't focus on the central through lines of the shows still do a neat job of showing us more about how The Galaxy works, which in turn serves to deepens the context for the main story. That's a key part of why The Clone Wars feels like the most muh-hassive, most grand Star Wars story ever put on screens.
I kept waiting for an "Omega suddenly uses the Force" moment all through the finale and was relieved not to see it happen.
Just this guy, you know?
(08-13-2021, 05:52 PM)Richard Dickson Wrote: I kept waiting for an "Omega suddenly uses the Force" moment all through the finale and was relieved not to see it happen.

I am hugely tempted to rep you for this Richard but you are sitting on 666 and I don't have it in me to ruin that.
Finished this up today and I really, really enjoyed it. I thought the resolution with Crosshair was really well done. Oh and Cid is my favorite new Star Wars character in forever.

It goes without saying this show looks stunning in 1080p with all the little details. Very glad to see it getting a second season.
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.